Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-14-2017, 08:31 AM   #181
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/126.8/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix17 View Post
Carly - I was thinking about the time off factor. That is another reason to be mad at doctors that won't listen, its not like all of us can take off whatever time we want. I am mad on your behalf!!

I don't know what the deal is but I am feeling very...wound up, or exasperated or something. I can't quite put my finger on it. I don't really think its quite cabin fever since I have certainly been out enough lately. I don't know. I feel like I'm waiting for something that I am impatient for but I don't know what it is I am waiting for. Maybe its just a winter mood or being sick of snow. I'll need to find something to distract myself though. and try to NOT let it be retail therapy!!!
I was pretty PO'ed, but at this point I've made my decision based on the fact that he was not willing to try something different and feel confident, that based on my 2 choices- take the pill or stop- that stopping is the right choice for me right now.

I know that I have a bad case of cabin fever. I just keep saying- is it April yet? The cold and the wind prevented me from even taking a short walk yesterday and I don't like to be so inactive, but there wasn't much of choice with the MD appointment and working from home.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2017, 11:35 AM   #182
LiLi914
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 249.6/245.2/145
WOE: JUDDD/some form of Low-Carb
Start Date: 1/3/2017 - restart from 2013
Thank you for the kind thoughts everyone. Already feeling much better since being provided with a diagnosis. Plus now I know at least a few food items that I can't have which were really making me sick. Not having them in my diet has been an eye opener.

I made brownies for my colleagues today and I really, really wanted to eat one. Thank god this is a DD so I'm not feeling to bad about missing out.

Carly, are you at all anemic? Is there a concern with the excessive blood flow? You may have answered that before. I hate that you had such an awful experience and while the Doctor may have had his reasons for wanting to keep you on the pill it would have been nice if he actually listened to you.

Come stalk my journal: https://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/s...d.php?t=873596

"You can always take the easy way out & give up but real strength comes when you decide to keep pushing no matter what the circumstances are."
LiLi914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:18 PM   #183
Carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLi914 View Post
Thank you for the kind thoughts everyone. Already feeling much better since being provided with a diagnosis. Plus now I know at least a few food items that I can't have which were really making me sick. Not having them in my diet has been an eye opener.

I made brownies for my colleagues today and I really, really wanted to eat one. Thank god this is a DD so I'm not feeling to bad about missing out.

Carly, are you at all anemic? Is there a concern with the excessive blood flow? You may have answered that before. I hate that you had such an awful experience and while the Doctor may have had his reasons for wanting to keep you on the pill it would have been nice if he actually listened to you.
I've been on rx iron for the last month, but I actually wasn't officially anemic.

I have heard that there are some really good GF baking options now, but those probably aren't DD friendly either, but good for an UD.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #184
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/113/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
It's a coincidence rather than an intentional Valentine gift but I've managed to find a relatively affordable 4D Pro Reaction (resistance and suspension) Trainer to assist me with the rehab of my foot and ankle and DH decided he liked the look of it so we have one apiece.

These are a heap of fun as the 4D Pro Reaction Trainer is a vertically suspended suspension trainer (like TRX) with bungee cords for some of the vertical straps - this offers not only resistance but plenty of opportunity for bouncing and fun.

Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb3LOPN0tmk

or, this one from Live with Kelly (tho' it's more floor space than we have): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHW9hwWeAMU

I wish that I had space - I'd love to do this plus the bungee harness workouts - and have space for a sauna right afterwards as I feel that would help my rehab so much. I can dream.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:18 PM   #185
taramisu
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: taramisu
Stats: 282/209/180
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: April 7, 2015
Slow, that seems really cool, hope it helps you out a lot!

I've been really into fruit the last few days. Normally I hate eating fruit for a snack. Lately I have this attitude of "Why WOULDN'T I eat fruit for a snack?" Low cal and delicious? Yes please. If only I could always feel this way. :P Managed an MD today so am hopeful I'm doing enough this week to make up for a high-cal Sunday.
tara ¤

My Journal

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times—if one only remembers to turn on the light. ~ Albus Dumbledore
taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:58 AM   #186
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
I’m still trying to concentrate on building up some energy and reducing inflammation and trying not to focus so much on weight. I’ve been going through some old articles SlowSure posted a while back on gut microbes...

Anyway, I’m getting ready to make sauerkraut & kimchi & all that stuff. Buying yoghurt. Drinking some of our raw milk cold (normally it all gets cooked, which seems a bit of a waste) and making some of it into kefir. Trying to eat lots of prebiotic veggies too.

A magic fix would be nice.
It would be good to have a magic fix but it's tricky, as you know.

It can be almost impossible for some people to have appropriate assessment by a GI person who can evaluate them for SIBO, fructose malabsorption etc. (NB this is common in Western Europeans, but this is distinct from the rare form of hereditary fructose intolerance).

Low and slow is always the way to go when introducing probiotic or prebiotic foods - and if they trigger a strong reaction after several attempts with tiny amounts then it's probably something that needs a different approach.

Prof. Spector's UK Gut Project is interesting but unlike the counterparts elsewhere in the world, it's Ł300 for an analysis and recommendations tho' some of them do seem to be carried out by some impressively world-class researchers.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:54 AM   #187
Ailuros
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
Thanks, Slow. I don’t generally have troublesome digestive issues. I’m looking at this because of the associations with inflammation and depression. I know it’s all at a fairly tentative stage now, but some of the research looks promising. Sadly, some of it seems to suggest that if your microbes were out of kilter at crucial stages in early childhood, the damage can’t be fixed later.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:03 AM   #188
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
Thanks, Slow. I don’t generally have troublesome digestive issues. I’m looking at this because of the associations with inflammation and depression.
Fructose malabsorption is disproportionately associated with depression - particularly in women.
Quote:
a positive test for fructose malabsorption corresponded to depressed women, but not men. Lactose malabsorption alone didn't matter in either sex, but the 12% of women in the study who were both fructose and lactose malabsorption positive were by far the most depressed. The normal female controls had an average depression score of 7.5 - the combined malabsorption women had an average score of 14.6. That's a huge difference...
It seems that fructose malabsorption can affect serum zinc in two ways. First, it seems to interfere with the ability of the intestine to take up zinc in the first place. Second, fructose malabsorption is associated with bacterial overgrowth in the large intestine, which is associated with chronic immune stimulation (shown by higher serum neopterin concentrations)(5). As we know, inflammation likely causes us to sequester our zinc.
Taken from a reasonable write-up:
Blog: Evolutionary Psychiatry (Emily Deans MD)

Auto-immune issues are more common in women because of our physiology. As always - a distinctly tricky area where the research is too new to be able to deliver definitive statements and much is probably over-promised. Nonetheless, it feels like there are definitely some possibilities in there.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:12 AM   #189
Ailuros
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, I suspect that, like many other hot topics before it, it won’t quite live up to all the promises, but there are some intriguing studies. I’ll look at the one you mention.

We need a section for “I’m just trying to work out what to eat that will help me to feel half-way human!”

Last edited by Ailuros; 02-15-2017 at 06:21 AM..
Old 02-15-2017, 06:46 AM   #190
Carly

Slow Sure- that work out seems like loads of fun, but lots of work, which is a great combo. Do you have a place to hook them up at home? Alas, those are not an option living in an apartment, but if I could find a local gym that offered a class like that I think I'd like to give it a try.

Already feeling more like self since stopping the BCP. It was worth a try and I would be willing to try something different down the line, but for now I'll just deal with whatever my body gives me.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:00 AM   #191
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Slow Sure- that work out seems like loads of fun, but lots of work, which is a great combo. Do you have a place to hook them up at home? Alas, those are not an option living in an apartment, but if I could find a local gym that offered a class like that I think I'd like to give it a try.
Are your local Crunch Gyms offering follow-up courses to that Master Series I mentioned quite recently (the venue where they did that was only a couple of blocks from your workplace, iirc)?

I think the bungee workouts have a lot going for them (which is why the Strapline for the system I mentioned is, Hard Work Is Now Hard Fun) and they're particularly good for facilitating resistance work while I'm non-weight-bearing.

One of the reasons we're OK to hook them up at home despite not having much space is because we're both already comfortable with inverting and the basics of AntiGravity (AG) work.

New York (huge area, I know) has a substantial number of studios and gyms offering AG classes of one sort or another.

antigravityfitness is a website where you can search for locations

antigravitylab in NY is the centre for Christopher Harrison's work and they have a very good schedule and timetable with what look like suitable classes for beginners.

But - there are many options for flavours of AG work in NY, from what I can see. It might well be worth your time to check out an AG Fundamentals class or two to see if you're comfortable with the idea of the hammock and its level of support.

After that - maybe AG with a hammock might suit you? Or you might know that you're confident enough to try out a bungee workout at any Crunch Gyms or other venues?

I can't begin to tell you how playful these workouts can be and depending on your choices and emphasis they can be a thing of beauty (eg, the hammocks or a yoga sling along with a tremendous workout) or pretty much an adrenaline rush from start to finish (bungee resistance, various harnesses with a hardcore workout).

Last edited by SlowSure; 02-15-2017 at 08:04 AM..
Old 02-15-2017, 08:01 AM   #192
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: phoenix17
Stats: getting there slowly but surely
WOE: LC, MF and now JUDDD
Carly glad you are feeling better.

Tara- I get that, I am not really a fruit eater either. I do sometimes go on a melon kick though . and when fruits first come in to season like cherries or apples, then I indulge.

So yesterday I went over my limits - not by much but it was all snacky sweet stuff. It is really like an addiction and I have to find a way to kick this. This weekend was a little more sweets than usual with my sisters bday but I still tend to go for sweets in general. I don't know quite how to get past it other than to persevere and try to resist the temptations and hope the cravings start to reduce. I do know that happens, I have been successful in the past- but always somehow I go back to sugar. Even when I was strictly Low carb, I was always looking for those sugar substitutes. I've been working in some sugar substitutes lately - I'll have to start recording my foods and my cravings again to see if it increases the cravings as has been reported in some studies.

I am super sore today from the shoveling - I need to improve my technique!! My back hurts but sometimes I just focus on getting the job done and forget the whole "lift with the legs" thing. Ouch. I need to do some stretching.

My work is having a chili contest next week and me and one of the other guys on the fun committee have a friendly competition going on so now my chili needs to be AWESOME. I think I'll use some chipotle and I am debating on using all shredded beef or combining with some ground beef, probably use some black beans over pinto (or both?) and load it up with peppers, onions and maybe some zucchini - maybe corn? Who has some good chili tips for me? I want to beat this guy!
phoenix17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:43 AM   #193
Carly

I'm of no use on the Chili front, but for AS I really like liquid sucralose. I'm not a fan of Stevia.

I use both liquid or powder Splenda in my coffee and sometimes in my yogurt. I don't add sugar to anything. If sweetener is required I use Splenda or Ez-Sweets and very occasionally Equal.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:47 AM   #194
Babsbabs
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: 205/155/140
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix17 View Post
My work is having a chili contest next week and me and one of the other guys on the fun committee have a friendly competition going on so now my chili needs to be AWESOME. I think I'll use some chipotle and I am debating on using all shredded beef or combining with some ground beef, probably use some black beans over pinto (or both?) and load it up with peppers, onions and maybe some zucchini - maybe corn? Who has some good chili tips for me? I want to beat this guy!
I made one of Chef John's chili recipes last night and it turned out pretty good. I poured the chili over nacho chips and covered with cheese and then melted it in the oven. Not sure the chili would win a contest but I liked it.

Lisa- my husband and I and one of our son's has stopped eating wheat for the last year or so and we all feel much better and we aren't celiac. I actually don't find it too difficult now that we have been doing it for a while. It isn't as strict as the changes you are making but I hope you adjust quickly and feel great soon.

Carly- I am glad you are feeling better but I hope you can find a better Dr who will work with you. It is beyond frustrating to waste time working with one who can't understand your concerns.

Alluros- I am reading through some of the same information and interested in the links food has to mood. I wish you success in finding helpful info.

Slow- wow, that is great to find helpful excercise that looks that fun! Way better then the physio excercises I have had to do in the past for little things.

Tara- glad you are enjoying the fruit and can find some that is tasty where you are at. Fruit available right now where I am at is pretty unappealing and expensive at this time of year.

Frosty-hope your recovery is going well.

I am headed out this morning to check out a new gym. I feel extremely uncomfortable exercising in a gym so not really sure why I am going but maybe it will be different.
I hope everyone has a good Wednesday!

Last edited by Babsbabs; 02-15-2017 at 09:52 AM..
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:36 AM   #195
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
Slow- wow, that is great to find helpful excercise that looks that fun! Way better then the physio excercises I have had to do in the past for little things.
I am headed out this morning to check out a new gym. I feel extremely uncomfortable exercising in a gym so not really sure why I am going but maybe it will be different.
I can pretty much make myself do anything but having some good options for the physio that combine several of the things that I need to do in a day is both more enjoyable and convenient. Plus, I hugely enjoy this form of activity.

What are you looking for in a gym? Machines, Crossfit?
Old 02-15-2017, 11:16 AM   #196
Babsbabs
Major LCF Poster!

Slow- I am finding that my many years of endurance running with very little cross training has not done much for my general muscle mass. Now that I am in my 50's I can see an accelerated decline in my general strength and I am afraid that this trend will threaten my ability to keep running long distances if I don't do something to reverse or slow it down. I loath (I know, such a positive attitude) anytype of exercise other then running so I am thinking that I need to hire a trainer to keep me accountable and get me re-started. It is my hope that if I start to do weight training regularly I will be able to keep it up. If I could at least get to the point that I do it because it is my routine I would be thrilled. Like needing to shower or brush my teeth. Helpful advice is much appreciated by anyone who has some ideas.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:39 AM   #197
taramisu
Senior LCF Member

I have a hard time finding good, inexpensive fruit this time of year too. Lately I've just been eating bags full of honeycrisp apples, which are great but pricey. I'm also really into Halos/Cuties. I could eat like four of them a day.

Today's DD--so far so good!
tara ¤

My Journal

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times—if one only remembers to turn on the light. ~ Albus Dumbledore
Old 02-15-2017, 12:19 PM   #198
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Slow...Now that I am in my 50's I can see an accelerated decline in my general strength and I am afraid that this trend will threaten my ability to keep running long distances if I don't do something to reverse or slow it down. I loath (I know, such a positive attitude) anytype of exercise other then running
It sounds like it might be worth your while to sign up for a pass that would let you sample various classes?

I had a quick look at the locator I posted above for AntiGravity (AG) and noticed that there are several in Alberta and that one of the gyms that offers it also offers TRX which (like AG, depending on the level at which you do it) is potentially very effective bodyweight training and especially when it's combined with resistance.

People can, and do, become very strong and develop good proprioception skills with bodyweight training.

If AG (in its various forms) doesn't at all appeal to you, perhaps some of the TRX + Rip Trainer (it's another TRX product that incorporates rotation and resistance and is good for strength building and maintenance) classes might? At least enough to be worth sampling? (I noticed the gym in Alberta that offers TRX also offers Rip Trainer in addition to AG.)

Even with a Personal Trainer, it helps them enormously if there's a form of activity and exercise that you loathe less than others.

NB - Quite quickly, TRX is something that can be done at home with a few tweaks to the routine to keep it fresh (YouTube has lots of ideas) - likewise the Rip Trainer. But, TRX suspension classes can be enjoyable. Tho', to me, nothing is as wholeheartedly playful as the AG. Heart and soul, I'm a kayaker, but for sheer concentrated fun with an extraordinary workout - it's AG.

Last edited by SlowSure; 02-15-2017 at 12:30 PM..
Old 02-15-2017, 12:34 PM   #199
Babsbabs
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Slowsure for your efforts! I'll read over your post a few times and see if I can wrap my head around trying some of these things. I would much rather run to the other side of the city and back
Old 02-16-2017, 05:29 AM   #200
Happy&Healthy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Happy&Healthy
Stats: Too much/better/best
WOE: JUDDD/4:3/Fung
Start Date: November 2016
Lili: I am sorry that you have to deal with that diagnosis. Like Babs, I cut down on wheat significantly and feel so much better. The options these days are amazing. On the other hand, glad you got the diagnosis so that you know what you need to change in order to feel better.

Frosty: hope your recovery is going well.

Slow: those videos look amazing! What a neat contraption. It certainly does look fun.

Phoenix: I know how it goes with the sweets, it seems like once I start I can't stop. For me, it's better to just stay away. The chili cook off sounds fun! I usually make mine with pinto and black beans, ground sirloin, a full bottle of beer (one for me and one for the chili ), and I add in some shredded chicken breast. My "secret" is that I put in a little bit of garam masala along with cumin and oregano, not enough to make it taste like a Middle Eastern dish but enough to give it a little bit of complexity of flavor.

Tara: I love, love, love Honeycrisp apples! I could eat a ton of them every day. The halos are amazing, too! I am lucky in that I have availability of a wide variety of tropical fruit. My all-time favorite fruit are mangoes, I love them so much but they are unbelievably high in sugar.

Work has been insanely busy. I feel like I haven't had a moment of downtime for a couple of weeks now. I got a terrible cold and I'm hoping to finish out the week alive! On Valentine's Day my group decided to have a breakfast and brought in all sorts of Cuban treats, they put together a huge spread. I'm afraid I over ate in an unbelievable way. I think eating all that sugar and flour opened up my appetite and I just kept going. I felt awful the rest of the day. I think that taught me a valuable lesson about eating processed foods, flour and sugar. Despite that, I still lost about a pound and a half this week which I'm thrilled about.
Happy&Healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:50 AM   #201
taramisu
Senior LCF Member

H&H--honeycrisps changed my life! I love mangoes too, but rarely have them--didn't know that about the sugar content! Yikes! I guess for a rare treat, still probably better than junk. Congrats on the great loss despite holiday-induced setback... it happens!

I saw a really low number on the scale this morning--one I'm having a lot of trouble believing, although I weighed twice and the numbers were similar. Today is UD, though, so we'll see how much it bounces back up. Either way, incentive to finish the week strong.
tara ¤

My Journal

Last edited by taramisu; 02-16-2017 at 08:55 AM..
Old 02-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #202
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

I'm another fan of the Honeycrisp apple! and its not just me, all my local farm stands sold out of the Honeycrisp really quickly this year. I do like the little Halo/Cuties also but they only sell them in those little boxes and they always seem to go moldy on me before I finish the box. Yuck.

Tara- awesome news on a low number!!!

H&H thanks for the chili tips!! I sometimes use beer as well, what kind do you use? I don't know if a dark beer is best or maybe just one with good body like a Sam Adams, which would be convenient since that is what is in my fridge . Does beer go bad? I rarely drink beer (strangely it makes me congested) so some of the bottles in my fridge are left from a party I had last year! I think I am also going to use pinto and black beans and am now indecisive on using all shredded beef (from stew meat) or using a mix of shredded and ground. I also will use red and green peppers, lots of onions of course and I'm debating on whether to use corn and/or zucchini as some purists that might be judging this contest may not find that desirable in a chili. Thoughts? opinions? I think I am out of garam masala but two recipes I read suggested adding either masa harina or crushed up tortilla chips in the cooking process because that corn addition helps both flavor and texture apparently.
Hope you feel better soon and Yay You on the 1.5 lbs down despite indulging!

I woke up to more snow again today. Not much, maybe only 1.5-2" but that is enough that I can't just drive over (inclined driveway) so I rolled out of bed and first thing I did was go shovel my long driveway by hand as that is not really enough to bring out the snowblower. I still have very sore muscles (yeah yeah good exercise- told ya I'd be sick of saying that before winter is over). I also only saw a 0.4 lb drop on the scale. its better than going UP but being sore, seeing a small drop and being hungry just has resulted in me being grumpy. I may just eat my calories at lunch today and go for a burger because I am grumpy, hungry, sore and dammit I want a burger. Have I mentioned grumpy?

someone was telling me today that my work can technically access everything I do on this computer and on my phone (I get my email forwarded) so now I have this picture of an IT guy sitting around reading random posts from people and checking my text messages. geesh. I am not sure if I care since my work is done and I am not sharing company secrets but it does make me think about it. I hate paranoia in myself. really not fun.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:28 AM   #203
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vlo1125
Stats: 263/167/155
WOE: Primal w/ JUDDD
Start Date: 2013
Feeling very out of sorts in regards to fasting and dieting lately. I'm sure a bit of it is just burn out, but I find myself very apathetic lately. although that kind of scares me in regards to gaining, I guess it's not scaring me enough to leap into action. This whole week I have not fasted ,I've skipped breakfast nearly every day but other than that I've eaten Keto. I just have zero desire to skip meals..... case in point this morning I was ready to do a fast five today and by 8:30 AM I was ready to throw in the towel. I think part of the problem is just lack of results from changing things up ,I get very bored and annoyed but at the same time this week just eating what I want ,not tracking ,or fasting I'm already up almost 3 pounds. so I know I can't just do what I want it's not like my plateau is going to keep me From gaining. I have noticed a sharp increase in hunger… I wouldn't call it hunger even I am literally binging and I don't know why because am stuffed ,not hungry ,and I'm eating too much food. I think there are several things that are contributing to this, for one in my attempt to keep my husband compliant and happy with keto I am cooking way too much food. He is not a leftovers type of person and I'm cooking something new every day so then I want to eat all the things I've cooked. Also there has been a marked increase in my consumption of sugar alcohols, not just the halo top which I still only have one serving of. I've been drinking those BAI drinks those have sugar alcohol and Also those Zevia drinks. So that could be causing me to binge because it still making my body want to eat more food even though it's not real sugar. Unfortunately trying to Keto has somehow given my brain the permission to stop following some very basic and essential rules to being Paleo, not what I want. I really need to clean things up and stop letting highly processed junk in, those things truly need to be treats that are every once in a while not daily. I'm scared that since it's been a few weeks since I've done a full fast DD that I'm going to find it incredibly difficult to go back to my 4:3. I feel like it's going to feel like starting all over again. It's 10 AM and I'm still wavering I have not eaten but my brain keeps telling me who cares just go ahead and do it and I honestly can't really afford to not make the next two days count. we have a birthday party Saturday in Pennsylvania we're driving to and I'm sure most likely won't be keto let alone Paleo. So I really can't go into my weekend having gained during the week. I sound like a broken record but I'm still waiting to do Stillman's because my whole February was booked so I didn't want to start it when I knew my weekends wouldnt be perfect. So right now it looks like February 27 is going to be the soonest I can start that. Still have not started any type of lifting or exercise, and I feel like even though my weight has stayed pretty much the same I feel like I look bigger. my thighs are more spread out and wider and my stomach is not as flat. My husband pulled out the total gym last night and he says that he's ready to start again tonight with me and has our workouts planned. so at least I'll be starting that today finally ! I'm going to take before pictures for both of us and measurements as well. I also bought a cheap massage bar from five below to attempt to use it for fascia blasting, I'm not ready to drop the cash on the official massager but I'll see if this helps at all with my terrible disfiguring cellulite.

Got interrupted by a phone call while typing this and it's 11:02 and I've eaten bacon and yogurt so didn't make it today, guess what's happing tomorrow??? Full fast dd come hell or high water!

Tara- I love fruit too, I especially crave it in the summer. My keto friend says fruit is cyanide wrapped in vitamins congrats on the new low, keep it up girl!

Happy- oy vey Cuban pastry would have been very hard to turn down! Good job on the lb down regardless of the sweets!

Babs- I've read running is very hard on your bones , cartilage and ligaments. Perhaps switching to short sprint sessions would be better?

Carly- every sweetener you mentioned are the ones that people say aren't good for you is it a taste preference thing? Sorry about the dr not listening, at this point I'd look into what you can do for yourself diet or natural remedy wise that might help in the interim.

Phoenix-sugar is addictive, and continuing to feed that addiction isnt going to help you. You can cut out sugar without going low carb, paleo diet isn't necessarily low carb but it is refined sugar free. But you don't even have to go paleo just Making those sweets and treats off limits will keep them out of your house and out of your mouth. And if you need to use natural sweetners( monk fruit, stevia) for awhile to ease into it then it's still 1000 times better than the real stuff. I know where you are coming from , you see people on here do juddd and still get to eat donuts and cookies on an ud and they still lose! I am unfortunately not one of those people, give me an inch and I take a mile. So if regular sugar consumption does that to you it's time to kick it to the curb. I have a few good chili recipe, but all of mine are beanless because they are paleo!

Slow- still too cool for school! love all the things you do!

Ailuros- a diet to make you feel human..... have you tried paleo?
Vlo1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:27 AM   #204
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thanks Slowsure for your efforts! I'll read over your post a few times and see if I can wrap my head around trying some of these things. I would much rather run to the other side of the city and back
I think it was Dottie who posted this spin class the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EFJvKTaOnM

Talk about high energy!! (See also Vio - now, this is )

ETA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaEKvPL3MPI

Last edited by SlowSure; 02-16-2017 at 10:29 AM..
Old 02-16-2017, 11:07 AM   #205
Ailuros
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlo1125 View Post
Ailuros- a diet to make you feel human..... have you tried paleo?
Not as such, though I suppose that in my strict low carb days I probably didn’t eat anything un-paleo. I seem to remember from a bit of reading years ago, that Cordain allowed a sort of “paleo 85% of the time” approach. On that basis, I’m probably not far off. Apart from yoghurt.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #206
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

Aw Vlo
It must be this time of year. There have been a few people (myself included) talking about frustration, burnout, finding it hard to stick to plan, failed days, etc. I know this is a recommendation I give too often and probably many people might not agree but... have you considered just giving yourself permission to take a break for a week instead of waking up every day and saying you would try, then by the end of the day feeling that you failed? KWIM? so if you just decide to say "ok - I'm taking a break from rotations or Fast 5 but MONDAY is my full fast" or something like that maybe it will keep you from eating too much daily? or if you are afraid of no limits, just go to a straight up daily calorie limit until you are ready to go back to rotations? just a few thoughts.
Hang in there lady- you will figure it out. I seem to remember just a week or so ago you also wrote that you felt pretty content at your current shape and if I am not mistaken, you have not regained hardly any weight... so just pointing out that maybe something has changed your perspective? maybe the total gym will do the trick!?

As for the sugar - I did follow Paleo for a while and still I found a way to use sugar (honey, maple syrup, monk fruit - which I don't like - and stevia which is also not my fav). I think the only thing I can do is just (try to) say no. Once I start avoiding sugar, it is easier to keep doing so. I have found though that I can't do a total denial or it leads to binging. It has to be controlled - like a SMALL bit of sweet after dinner (a couple squares of dark chocolate for example).

oops - surprise attack meeting, must run....
Old 02-16-2017, 12:16 PM   #207
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

JBs take Mental Health breaks when we move into weight maintenance whenever it's necessary during WLM (look at the Epiphany thread to get an idea of the flexibility of how much you can adapt your intake to move into maintenance or just holding station).

A handwave to those who've heard me tell this story several times - but for the benefit of - I went into a burn out maintenance break when I was 3 lbs away from my initial goal weight. I just couldn't have put any more effort into WLM as it was truly burning me out and causing me to second-guess myself.

As it happened - I never did need to go back to WLM as during that maintenance break, I passed the goal and emerged 3 lbs south of it. (6 months later, I did return to WLM to reach my body composition goals after a consolidation break.)

Dawn/KeirasMom and Carly both took mental health maintenance breaks during WLM. They can be very necessary. It's not in any way 'giving in' - it can be the wisest thing to do at times.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #208
Carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post

Dawn/KeirasMom and Carly both took mental health maintenance breaks during WLM. They can be very necessary. It's not in any way 'giving in' - it can be the wisest thing to do at times.
At 10 months in I took a 2.5 week maintenance break. I had been doing very strict EOD with very low DDs (under 150 calories) and for those 2.5 weeks I just fasted daily until dinner and enjoyed whatever it was I wanted to have to for dinner. It was a great reset. I think I gained 1-2 pounds and after I went back to EOD on my scheduled restart date I was at goal 6-7 weeks later.

In other news I'm ecstatic to report that the BCP must be out of my system and the hunger is 100% gone!!!!! I could not possibly be happier. My stomach has not so much a rumbled in the 3-4 days. That month of unrelenting, insatiable hunger was HORRENDOUS!!!! I really felt like I was possessed by some ravenous starved beast. I felt like I was battling against myself and my hunger every minute of the day.

It's crazy how a tiny pill can do that. Makes one realize how powerful our hormones really are.

For the last 3 days I keep stopping and noticing I'm NOT hungry. I'm actually NOT hungry.

It's one of those things you don't miss when it's gone, but I sure notice it's absence and appreciate that it's not plaguing me.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:53 AM   #209
raishalini
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: raishalini
Stats: 185/179/136 5'4.5"
WOE: JUDDD & IF
Start Date: January 2017
Quote:
Slow- I am finding that my many years of endurance running with very little cross training has not done much for my general muscle mass. Now that I am in my 50's I can see an accelerated decline in my general strength and I am afraid that this trend will threaten my ability to keep running long distances if I don't do something to reverse or slow it down. I loath (I know, such a positive attitude) anytype of exercise other then running so I am thinking that I need to hire a trainer to keep me accountable and get me re-started. It is my hope that if I start to do weight training regularly I will be able to keep it up. If I could at least get to the point that I do it because it is my routine I would be thrilled. Like needing to shower or brush my teeth. Helpful advice is much appreciated by anyone who has some ideas.
Babs I don't know how much of help it will be but there is a very good site called fitnessblender.com. This site is full of all kinds of training including strength training..all you need is couple of sets of dumbbells or kettlebell.

The videos are as short as 10 mins and as long as an hour. You will find Pilates, yoga..everything. Just 2 months of doing these videos of 30-40 mins duration 4-5 times a week I could see serious difference in my body. Since last 15-20 days I am not doing it coz of pain caused by medicine to induce cycle and then i got lazy. Will start again next week. These exercises if done correctly, seriously raises your heart beat and burns calories anywhere between 100-1000, depending on the body weight and exercise you chose. There are some sets of videos where strength and cardio are combined to keep the heart rate in fat burning zone. Like you, even I don't like going to gym and always either walk or do exercise at home.

If you don't want to buy dumbbells then there are many body weight strength training, which is equally effective. New studies says, strength training is equally effective and better than cardio in fat loss ans reshaping body. Do try it if you feel like.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:08 AM   #210
raishalini
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: raishalini
Stats: 185/179/136 5'4.5"
WOE: JUDDD & IF
Start Date: January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
At 10 months in I took a 2.5 week maintenance break. I had been doing very strict EOD with very low DDs (under 150 calories) and for those 2.5 weeks I just fasted daily until dinner and enjoyed whatever it was I wanted to have to for dinner. It was a great reset. I think I gained 1-2 pounds and after I went back to EOD on my scheduled restart date I was at goal 6-7 weeks later.

In other news I'm ecstatic to report that the BCP must be out of my system and the hunger is 100% gone!!!!! I could not possibly be happier. My stomach has not so much a rumbled in the 3-4 days. That month of unrelenting, insatiable hunger was HORRENDOUS!!!! I really felt like I was possessed by some ravenous starved beast. I felt like I was battling against myself and my hunger every minute of the day.

It's crazy how a tiny pill can do that. Makes one realize how powerful our hormones really are.

For the last 3 days I keep stopping and noticing I'm NOT hungry. I'm actually NOT hungry.

It's one of those things you don't miss when it's gone, but I sure notice it's absence and appreciate that it's not plaguing me.
Carly, I have been in your shoes where I kept getting brown discharge/light TOM (TMI) month on month and it has just one cure BCP. Unfortunately for PCOS if other hormone are at place then to regulate cycle and reduce many of the symptoms of PCOS doctors world over rely on BCP with different combinations of oestrogen/progesterone.

I hope you find a better doctor who works with you. Like you even I used to have severe side effects on BCP and kept going back to doctor and she kept changing the pills but didn't allow me to stop coz as per her "I might bleed to death" or develop severe complications due to anaemia. I am 46 now and really wishing for menopause in a way ..am so tired of the complications of and on, so that these symptoms affecting TOM should stop.

A big hug hope you do not require BCP ever.