Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Nutritional Approach
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-17-2015, 12:49 PM   #1
Dae'Lynn
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dae'Lynn
Stats: 186/122 from size 18 to size 4
WOE: Atkins Maintenance 40g-100g depending on appetite
Start Date: 02/02/02 reached goal 05/22/04
Just read about Atkins 20

I kept on reading about this but wasn't familiar with it so I read about it. I looked through Phase 1. Wow. I remember when I did Phase 1 on DANDR, and this seems so different. There is no way I could have lost weight on that-eating the nuts/seeds, fruit, starchier veggies and whole grains along with everything else. But that is just me. I am sure there are people out there who have had great success on Atkins 20. And I understand that there are people who need more variety, and this definitely has variety.

So now I am curious, who here is doing Atkins 20? How much have you lost on it, and do you like it?

Last edited by Dae'Lynn; 02-17-2015 at 12:50 PM..
Dae'Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2015, 12:55 PM   #2
Patience
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patience
I've never heard of it. Can you say more?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #3
rachel2writer
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rachel2writer
Stats: 265/204.8/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/11/15
I read a little about Atkins 20 and Atkins 40 on the website, but ended up going to what I know works - DANDR.
3rd Goal: 175 (no longer obese)
Final Goal: 150

http://rachelrbs.blogspot.com/
rachel2writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:05 PM   #4
Dae'Lynn
Senior LCF Member

I don't know a whole lot about it. Just that you can eat more variety on it than on DANDR Phase 1. They let you eat starchy veggies, nuts/seeds, fruit (I think it listed berries and melons) and whole grains along with your meat, eggs, cheese, full-fat dairy, non-starchy veggies and oils.

Of course on DANDR, you can't eat starchy veggies, nuts/seeds, fruit or whole grains during Phase 1. (Induction) I do remember something that Dr. Atkins once said: 'the quickest and fastest way to stop losing weight is to start eating fruit'. That's probably not true for everyone but it certainly was true for me.

(rachel2writer, just noticed you are near Denton, TX. I was born and grew up in Denton, TX! Haven't lived there in 19 years)

Last edited by Dae'Lynn; 02-17-2015 at 02:06 PM..
Old 02-17-2015, 03:41 PM   #5
Patience
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Doesn't sound like it would work at all for me.
I have a bit of fruit no more than once a week, and it's never a whole piece.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:28 AM   #6
Dae'Lynn
Senior LCF Member

I was trying to figure out how you could only be at 20 g with all those higher carb foods in there. haven't looked at the menu for Atkins 20 so can't say anything about that.

All I know-this reminds me of what I used to eat on WW when I was doing WW. Of course, that was higher carb and lower fat. Just the stuff they allow reminds me of that. 3 months on WW and zero pounds lost.

Some people just need more variety to stick to plan. I'm different. I never get bored eating the same things over and over again.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:36 AM   #7
Patience
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

In my younger years, I could have eaten this way. I probably did a lot worse.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:11 PM   #8
chipmunkis
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chipmunkis
Stats: 180(2003), 135 (2007) 152 (Feb, 2015), 135(goal)
WOE: ATKINS!
Start Date: restarting Feb. 2015
I just feel like so many of the changes that have gone on since Dr. Atkins died have more to do with selling products than helping people get healthy.

Those we love never leave us but rather they live in our hearts forever ~msmoon~
(With love for mom, Kevin, Amma and Uncle Mike)

START TODAY. Do not wait until you feel better, or until the weather is nicer... Do it NOW. TODAY!
chipmunkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:02 AM   #9
Dae'Lynn
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunkis View Post
I just feel like so many of the changes that have gone on since Dr. Atkins died have more to do with selling products than helping people get healthy.
Seems that way, doesn't it? And now I've heard of some of the Atkins programs where you can skip Induction. Huh? Dr. Atkins incorporated Induction for a reason yet all the reasons seem to always be lost, and then you wonder why people don't lose on their first two weeks of Atkins. Not only that but the Induction I followed isn't the same one that people seem to follow nowadays. (meaning Atkins 20)

I do remember Atkins for Life in which, if you had less than 20 pounds to lose, you could start at 60 g and adjust your carb level accordingly.

I would suggest if anyone is doing Atkins 20 and not seeing success to pick up Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution and read it and follow it.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:48 AM   #10
chipmunkis
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chipmunkis
Stats: 180(2003), 135 (2007) 152 (Feb, 2015), 135(goal)
WOE: ATKINS!
Start Date: restarting Feb. 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dae'Lynn View Post
Seems that way, doesn't it? And now I've heard of some of the Atkins programs where you can skip Induction. Huh? Dr. Atkins incorporated Induction for a reason yet all the reasons seem to always be lost, and then you wonder why people don't lose on their first two weeks of Atkins. Not only that but the Induction I followed isn't the same one that people seem to follow nowadays. (meaning Atkins 20)

I do remember Atkins for Life in which, if you had less than 20 pounds to lose, you could start at 60 g and adjust your carb level accordingly.

I would suggest if anyone is doing Atkins 20 and not seeing success to pick up Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution and read it and follow it.
I completely agree Induction is SO important... people are starting out without that and struggling with frankenfoods, and then deciding Atkins doesn't work. I agree, pick up either DANDR or the original '72 Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution, and follow it as written.

Those we love never leave us but rather they live in our hearts forever ~msmoon~
(With love for mom, Kevin, Amma and Uncle Mike)

START TODAY. Do not wait until you feel better, or until the weather is nicer... Do it NOW. TODAY!
chipmunkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #11
Mistizoom
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/230/190 initial goal
WOE: attemping the Perfect Health Diet
Start Date: low carb - 11/2012, PHD - 2/2017
I think maybe Atkins Nutritionals is trying to capture a new audience. There are lots of people out there trying paleo right now - and that allows a wider variety of sweet and starch than traditional low carb diets do. Plus paleo doesn't require induction (though Whole30 is a form of paleo induction that some people do). Plus there are quite a few people doing "keto" (nutritional ketosis) who also don't necessarily do induction or stick with very strict food lists/serving sizes. There are a lot of people out there who aren't interested in traditional Atkins who may be lured in by what appears to be a more flexible plan. The old plans are still available for those who want them. I say whatever gets more people exposed to low carb is a good thing.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:48 PM   #12
rotay60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/135/110 for now, 4'11.5"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 12/29 133.2/129.6/110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I think maybe Atkins Nutritionals is trying to capture a new audience. There are lots of people out there trying paleo right now - and that allows a wider variety of sweet and starch than traditional low carb diets do. Plus paleo doesn't require induction (though Whole30 is a form of paleo induction that some people do). Plus there are quite a few people doing "keto" (nutritional ketosis) who also don't necessarily do induction or stick with very strict food lists/serving sizes. There are a lot of people out there who aren't interested in traditional Atkins who may be lured in by what appears to be a more flexible plan. The old plans are still available for those who want them. I say whatever gets more people exposed to low carb is a good thing.
I agree with this.
rotay60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:09 PM   #13
Blue Skies
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/182/175 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I agree, Misti.

Considering on the SAD Americans consume an average of 300 carbs a day, even cutting that in half would be tons healthier for most people. Under 100 carbs a day, and most overweight people would slowly drop weight, improve their blood pressure and BS, rid themselves of heartburn, and so many other health improvements.

I did not do induction this time around. Started at 50 carbs a day, backed myself down to 25 to 30 a day after the first month and have lost 50 pounds since and maintained it. 2 years into this woe and going strong.

I didn't lose fast, but I lost surely, and in a way I could and can maintain. From the get go I ate nuts, berries, dairy, vegetables---including tomatoes and onions--- occasionally, LC sprouted wheat bread. I just made sure that whatever I ate, it fit into my daily carb allowance.

We all know how unique everyone is when it comes to what works for them on a LC woe, and I say the more plans, the merrier. The most important idea is less white food, to the degree that works for you, in a way that works for you.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:36 AM   #14
Dae'Lynn
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post

I didn't lose fast, but I lost surely, and in a way I could and can maintain.
I think this is really important and key here! Not worrying about getting all the weight off in one day but finding a way in which you can lose and maintain. So many people focus on weight loss that they forget about the health benefits of LC no matter what plan it is. And they forget they need to do something in which they will be able to maintain once they hit goal.

Even though I know Atkins 20 would not work for me, it doesn't mean that it wouldn't work for someone else. Like I said earlier, some people need more flexibility and less strictness. I never felt deprived on DANDR Induction. But others might. And for others who say, "I'll never be able to eat bread again'. Yes, you can! Even on some of the plans, as Blue Skies has shown, you can eat bread. Just depends on how someone's body can handle it. (my body can't-not even sprouted bread). Even on DANDR, you can eat bread. It's just in the later phases. That's all.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:39 PM   #15
debbi190
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: debbi190
Stats: 225/172/160
WOE: Low Carb
I just read something about Atkins 40 as compared to Atkins 20. Atkins 20 is the old system with no more than 20 g of net carbs a day. The new Atkins 40 is 40 g of net carbs a day with 20 g in not starchy vegetables. It said that in a test the 40 group stayed with the program and were not as board.

The amount of starch you are allowed in a day is very small. 1/2 an ear of corn, that's for the day. The next day you can have a slice of bread, etc. I was thinking of trying it. Now I am doing Atkins 20 and a cheat day. My cheat days don't seem to throw me off, and I don't feel deprived.

Debbi
debbi190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #16
tibby
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tibby
Stats: 195/185/140
WOE: orginal Atkins
Start Date: March 2001/restart Feb 2015
Interesting posts.
I agree that if it works for you, and you aren't craving and making yourself crazy, go for it! I myself cannot do this without induction, and I know it. Started numerous times in the past few years and never was able to stick to it until I made myself do the basic induction. Now I'm sticking to 20-40 carbs and it's very slowly coming off. But that's ok. It took years to put it on, it's okay if it takes a year or so to get it off. I have to make this a way of life, my health depends on it.
tibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:44 PM   #17
KrystaLyn
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KrystaLyn
Stats: 179/158/140
WOE: my own version of LC
I am very interested in this thread because I am back to Atkins/LCing after a 7 year hiatus from having my kids and putting myself on the backburner as a lot of moms with young kids do.

I agree with a lot of what has been said here, about finding what works for you. I did Atkins very successfully and kept my weight off for years doing DANDR, and following the ladder very strictly. I never made it to Maintenance Levels, but was pretty happy in OWL, eating berries, melon, a half an apple, nuts, steel cut oats, yogurt, etc. However, it took me awhile to get to that point where I felt comfortable eating those foods, and not FEARING food.

This time around, I am trying, like BlueSkies said, to approach this as something I can achieve and MAINTAIN. That means this time, I am eating yogurt and nuts and berries right out of the gate.

I am actually quite interested in Atkins 40 as something I can go to during times of stress, or when I am just feeling too restricted on the 20, or DANDR style, of eating. I feel like it would be good for me to have some guidelines to go by when I feel the need to increase my carbs, or eat some "forbidden" foods in order to keep my sanity. Its far better than going off track completely and forgetting where I am trying to get to.

I have, for me, a lot of weight left to lose, about 30 lbs. I also have a family and a life that I know now will cause me to have periods of time when I need to go to the Atkins 40 plan in order to loosen up some of the strictness and make it easier for me to stay on plan and still handle things. And I'm totally ok with that.

I don't know if any of this makes sense, but I just wanted to add my .2 cents, as this is something that has been on my mind as I have come back to this lifestyle. I've found this thread very inspiring
Old 04-03-2015, 06:26 PM   #18
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters
Senior LCF Member

Fri pm

Many thanks to all for the posts here.

And I agree with what those are saying about the Atkins people have gotten so far off track trying to drum up new business it's hard to recognize them as being the same org.

But like Krista said, now we know if life gets to be too rough to handle, back off, make it easier on yourself. Eat an extra 10 or 20 or even 40 extra carbs for a day or so, or however many it takes. Then when you can handle it, ease back down to the plan.

Just don't give up and beat yourself over the head for "backsliding" or "falling off the wagon." Consider it a part of the plan, and soon as you can, get right back in line where you stepped out.

Look at it like this. If things get too crazy, have a pizza, or a Subway sandwich. Or whatever blows your skirt up. Just have it with a healthier salad or side and desert than you would have had back in the SAD days.

DON'T get so depressed that you lose all perspective.

Keep your eyes on the Prize!

"It just goes to show ya....There's aallllways somethin'!" Rosanne Rosanadana
MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:41 AM   #19
PatR
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PatR
Stats: 181/152/130 5'2"
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: Started Keto 1/31/15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBrownw/LovelyDoters View Post
Fri pm

Many thanks to all for the posts here.

And I agree with what those are saying about the Atkins people have gotten so far off track trying to drum up new business it's hard to recognize them as being the same org.

But like Krista said, now we know if life gets to be too rough to handle, back off, make it easier on yourself. Eat an extra 10 or 20 or even 40 extra carbs for a day or so, or however many it takes. Then when you can handle it, ease back down to the plan.

Just don't give up and beat yourself over the head for "backsliding" or "falling off the wagon." Consider it a part of the plan, and soon as you can, get right back in line where you stepped out.

Look at it like this. If things get too crazy, have a pizza, or a Subway sandwich. Or whatever blows your skirt up. Just have it with a healthier salad or side and desert than you would have had back in the SAD days.

DON'T get so depressed that you lose all perspective.

Keep your eyes on the Prize!

I couldn't have said it better, Tere. We have to stop thinking of a minor change in eating as "backsliding." Some of us beat ourselves up and convince ourselves we've failed and just give up. Most of the time the so-called "transgression" was only one day, even only one meal.

Life is a series of choices leading to a cumulative effect.

"I am deeply committed to finding a vitanutrient solution for most health problems...I believe no eating pattern contains optimal nutrition, and that all of us can improve our health by taking vitanutrients that are targeted to our individual health problems, disease risks and nutrient difficiencies." Dr. Robert C. Atkins. Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution (DANDR), 2002.
PatR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:29 AM   #20
maria
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maria
Stats: 208/194/169
WOE: atkins introduction
Start Date: February 12, 2015
I'm doing akins 20 carbs a day, I just read the book and stick to what it says so I like it its almost 2 months and lost 21lb!! so far would like to lose 20 more.
maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:39 AM   #21
KiminIN
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KiminIN
Stats: 204/146/(130-140)
WOE: Abstain from added sugar, proc'd carbs, excess cal
Start Date: October 2004
Seems to be some confusion here between Atkins 20 and Atkins 40.

On the 20, there are no fruits in Phase I (the equivalent of induction). The 20 carbs should come mostly from non-starchy vegetables.

Berries and legumes are added back in phase 2 (I view phase 2 as the same as OWL in the old book). And then other fruits etc. in Phase 3.

Staying at 20 net carbs, Atkins 20 looks the same to me as Induction in the DANDR.
KiminIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:54 AM   #22
zay
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zay
WOE: low carb
To me it looks like Atkins 40 basically the same as Protein Power.
Yes, I believe it is more doable for some people so thats why they put it out. I think its a nice alternative for some.
zay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:51 AM   #23
KiminIN
Senior LCF Member

I guess I'm confused about Atkins 20. I look at their Phase 1 and the only difference I see from DANDR is that it is explicit about how many vegetables you should be eating. Basically clarifying that the carbs you're allowed during induction should come from vegetables (rather than lactose).

There are no fruits and nuts on Phase 1 of Atkins 20. Those come in during Phase 2.

Here is Phase 1 of Atkins 20: (lifted from the Atkins website)
Net Carbs (grams) = total carbs minus fiber 20
Acceptable Foods
Protein: 3 servings of 4 – 6 oz per serving
Healthy Fats: 3 servings of added healthy fats per day e.g. butter, salad dressings, olive oil, etc.
Carbohydrates Limited: Most carbs should come from vegetables during first 2 weeks e.g. leafy greens and other low-carb vegetables. You can also have dairy foods high in fat and low in carbs: cream, sour cream, and most hard cheeses.

Someone help me understand what in that plan is so far off of DANDR?

WOE: a blend of PP/Zone/Atkins
WOL: OA
Old 06-03-2015, 07:46 AM   #24
SweetMe678
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 377/356/135
WOE: HFLC/fasting
The only difference I see is the serving limits on protein and fats. Dandr says eat if hungry, eat til satisfied (but not stuffed) try to eat 3 meals ans small snacks as needed.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:47 PM   #25
KiminIN
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMe678 View Post
The only difference I see is the serving limits on protein and fats. Dandr says eat if hungry, eat til satisfied (but not stuffed) try to eat 3 meals ans small snacks as needed.
Ah, that's right. DANDR didn't suggest serving sizes.

WOE: a blend of PP/Zone/Atkins
WOL: OA
Old 06-21-2015, 01:34 AM   #26
Qwerty011
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Qwerty011
Wow! I saw Atkins 20 on their website and also have read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. The induction I'm following seems a lot more like a mix of DANDR and Atkins '72 (don't know too much about this other than you start out with no carbs?) than Atkins 20. I didn't realize there was a difference!
Qwerty011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:30 PM   #27
nurseypoo5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 255/230/170
WOE: Low carb, Atkins, more H2O
Start Date: Restart 6/20/15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunkis View Post

Totally agree. That being said hubby is diabetic at 300lbs. He won't stick to DANDR. I CAN BUT HE WONT. He cheats which when eating like this a cheat is 10x worse. Ugh. I may try this on him. Atleast to for now. If it gives him some variety he may stick it out.

That being said I trusted Dr Atkins. I do not really trust anything since he died that is new.

Dear Lord, if you cant make me skinny, please make all my friends fat. Amen.
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:44 AM   #28
halldot
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halldot
Stats: fat/still fat/145
WOE: atkins
Start Date: restarted induction 06/13/16
I loved DANDR. To me that is the bible of this WOE. I think the key was working the ladder correctly during OWL and up through maintenance. That seems to be where laziness sets in. Doing it again along with my daughter and I keep quoting Dr. Atkins on how just one bite of a cheat is the kiss of death on this diet. Doing good so far. Not as fast, but slow and steady will win.

Lost it all before, then it all came back and brought friends after I had brain surgery for a tumor and was put on steroids. Starting over 9/07.

Two words that should never be in the same sentence together - or same meal - FLAX and MALTITOL......
halldot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:01 PM   #29
Baylor
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baylor
WOE: Atkins's 72-DANDR
Start Date: 1/18/2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by halldot View Post
I loved DANDR. To me that is the bible of this WOE. I think the key was working the ladder correctly during OWL and up through maintenance. That seems to be where laziness sets in. Doing it again along with my daughter and I keep quoting Dr. Atkins on how just one bite of a cheat is the kiss of death on this diet. Doing good so far. Not as fast, but slow and steady will win.
I love DANDR too. It is how I lost most my big weight after the kids. It was easy to follow and straight forward. It was so simple to stick to and follow.

I am starting lower this time at 72 then progressing to DANDR. I could not do it on the new plan. I just don't see it working for people like me.

Maybe for newbies just trying Atkins for the first time? But somehow making it easier to do to include more options can mean more struggle in the long run.
Baylor is offline   Reply With Quote