Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Women's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-03-2015, 10:42 PM   #1
NewOldLC
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: NewOldLC
Stats: 235/158.8/165 Goal met Jan 9 2016. New goal 145!
WOE: Atkins DANDR
Start Date: January 12, 2015
PCOS Sufferers

I'm amazed there isn't a section specifically for thos of us with PCOS!

I've suffered with PCOS for probably 36 years but never got the right diagnoss until my early 20s. Back then even if they knew you had it, they didn't tell you because the medical community had no idea what to do with it.

A sad fact for women my age and older who were just placed on bcp and told to go away and don't worry. Turns out for me it was the root of all evil for me.

How are you being treated to make sure it doesn't escalate to a dangerous place?
Mandy

Check out my instagram at @mrsagnesbrown5
NewOldLC is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2015, 02:51 AM   #2
Grace1973
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grace1973
Stats: 224-159
WOE: Atkins 74
Start Date: 2-14-16
Good Morning..
I found out at 29 ( 2 months after I was married).
I lost two pregnancies and never was able to carry I am 42 now .. So we are done with trying. basically it seems if your not trying to conceive. then PCOS is your problem.lol
My doctor basically said lose the weight or you will be a diabetic.
I started 7/20 and I am down about 21 lbs.. Its not easy. But because I have seen so many people die from diabetes.. I am scared to death.. I rather forgo the carbs than die.
I still have a good 30 pounds to go.. I pretty much stick to 20 carbs/1200 calories/lots of water.. and walking.. ( bad back too)..And even being strict my body does what it wasnts. Honestly I pretty much lose weight only when I almost starve myself. but my body always been like this. PCOS..
Most people don't get it.. Only if you suffer from it..
at this point I am only taking a Blood Pressure pill. doctor said I don't need Metformin unless im trying to get pregnant. I don't believe that either.. but I am working on my weight loss. and then working on finding a better doctor. LOL.- but she did say If I didn't lose weight she was putting me on a pill for Diabetes .. So I am hoping my 21 pound loss is enough..
Nice to meet you.. Please keep in touch!
GoalPerMonth/Acutal Loss
July 8/9.5
August9/11.5
Sept: 8/2
Oct: 6/
Water Goal 100 Oz A Day/Carbs under 20/Calories 1200 Started LC 7/20/2015

Last edited by Grace1973; 09-04-2015 at 02:53 AM..
Grace1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:07 AM   #3
mae1958
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mae1958
Stats: down 16 lbs since 3/20
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 3/20/15
what is pcos
mae1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:50 AM   #4
Grace1973
Senior LCF Member

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a health problem that can affect a woman's hormone levels, periods, and ovulation. You name it, It will screw things up.. Can make it impossible to lose weight. No matter what you do.. Short of starving yourself..
Believe me I know!- Wrecks your fertility.. Many women need fertility pills to even get pregnant. ( sadly I was not lucky). But all in all, could be worse things in life.
GoalPerMonth/Acutal Loss
July 8/9.5
August9/11.5
Old 09-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Grace-
My niece (age 22) could not lose weight, and was eventually diagnosed with PCOS (she's also hypothyroid). Her endo put her on Metformin to help her lose--and it worked wonders. She had been so depressed at being unable to lose weight. Perhaps you can convince your doctor (or find another one) to Rx you Metformin. My understanding is that it's quite common for those with PCOS.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:33 PM   #6
niccofive
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: niccofive
Stats: lost 65 lbs. / in maintenance
WOE: Low Carb my way, for maintenance
Start Date: Oct 2014
I have PCOS and was dx'ed pretty early on by an endocrinologist in my mid to late teens. Weight gain wasn't as much of an issue for me until mid-20s. I was able to have three children, one using one round clomid, the others spontaneously. I think my PCOS must be fairly mild.

That being said, there is no doubt I have most of the symptoms- it started becoming an issue after my first pregnancy and became more and more of an issue as the months and years went on. Eating LC and exercising DEFINITELY improves things for me, levels out and regulates my hormones etc.

I still find the medical community largely unhelpful on this issue!

My journal:
Zigging When I was Supposed to Zag- Figuring Out Maintenance a Day at a Time
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.
"..as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
niccofive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:17 AM   #7
Grace1973
Senior LCF Member

LEO41.. I was on Metformin when i was younger..
It kept me from gaining. but not losing..
But.. with hard hard work i will lose.. but pretty much Its a balancing game.
right carbs, right calories and right exercise. and all have to be low!
Thanks!
GoalPerMonth/Acutal Loss
July 8/9.5
August9/11.5
Old 09-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #8
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Grace-

According to what my niece told me, her endo gave her Metformin not specifically to lose weight but to help 'balance' hormones that are disturbed by PCOS. He explained it as similar to her thyroid Rx, designed to supplement what her thyroid doesn't produce.

One she adjusted to the Metformin, she found that she felt so much better--and I suspect that's what's enabled her to lose--those balanced hormones.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:57 AM   #9
Meek75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Meek75
Stats: 234/227/224
WOE: Whole Foods
Start Date: 11.1.2016
I was diagnosed with PCOS just recently, age 41. I'm having issues ovulating; missed periods and unable to lose weight. My doc put me on Metforim. No major side effects. It hasn't helped me lose weight like it does most, but I'm happy to know it's helping me insulin resistance. PCOS makes me crave sugar like crazy which has always been my issue. Im trying my best to eat clean. I desperately need to lose this weight as I know it will help relieve most of my symptoms and get me out of the pre-diabetes range.

I hope can keep this thread alive!
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:01 PM   #10
emily1965
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: emily1965
Stats: 320/179
WOE: VSG 5/10/11 plus healthy choices
If you search PCOS on the diabetes section, you will get a lot of results since one of the main components of PCOS is insulin resistance.

I wasn't diagnosed until 40, even though I always struggled with weight, had ovarian cysts, was infertile and had a man beard in my teens (extreme facial hair is another common symptom). The same doctor that diagnosed my hypothyroidism diagnosed my PCOS. He put me on Metformin right away and I've taken it for over 10 years now, but it's never helped me lose weight. It's probably prevented me from developing diabetes, though.

Metformin can be pretty hard on the tummy when you first start out, but if you have that problem and hang in there, the side effect will eventually go away completely.

There is a good message board out there on the net dedicated to PCOS called "Soul Cysters".

Take pride in how far you have come and have faith in how far you can go.

CIAC
emily1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:19 AM   #11
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/126.0/125 5'2" 40yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Add me to group of those with PCOS. I was diagnosed in my early 20's when my weight jumped from 95 pounds to 230 in less than a year and I would not get my period for 6 months and them bleed for 3 straight months.

When I was diagnosed with PCOS I was already diabetic and prescribed a lot of different meds including Metformin, but Metformin really upset my stomach terribly and didn't control my blood sugar very well.

I started LC and dropped from 230lb to 112lb in less than a year and my blood sugar was normal w/o meds. I maintained that weight with sheer determination, loads of running and never exceeding 10 carbs a day.

in 2006 my spine disease became very severe to the point of needing a walker for the slightest walk. Running stopped and by then I lived with my DW and her teenaged daughter so the house was full of junk that I never kept when I lived alone. My weight jumped back to 200lbs and once again I was a full fledged diabetic taking a shot 2x per day.

In 2012 I started LC, but I didn't feel well on it. I found JUDDD and the rest has been history. I've been off all meds since late 2012, but I must say that keeping the weight off has become exhausting. I need to constantly cut my calories lower and lower and a pound here or there just keeps coming despite my steely determination.

I must say that at almost 5 years into my weight loss journey and almost 4 years of maintaining I'm getting some serious diet fatigue, but I refuse to give up. It's not an option.

The alternative is so much worse.

I trudge on...

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:06 PM   #12
Grace1313
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Grace1313
Stats: 236/188/175
WOE: Low Carb my way
Start Date: September 9th, 2016
I was never diagnosed with it. I have every symptom, classic pcos.. 18 months was the longest I went without a period. When I did have one it was horrid. The one ob/gyn I went to said my test results, whatever they were, did not show pcos and he never discussed it again.

Btw, 2 older sisters and a daughter that have all been diagnosed with pcos. My DD and one sister both took fertility drugs to conceive. My other sister did not want children, so not an issue. I was told though after having my daughter, I would probably not be able to have more or carry to term. I had a hard time carrying her to term. They would not fix me, though because of my age.
Fast forward to 40. I oddly, to me, started getting a period every other month, seemed like a lot, as I would go months without one. The whole facial hair seemed better and I started losing weight. But the weight loss is another story and I believe due to an undiagnosed illness. It's in my journal, if you want to be bored with the details.
Things went on this way for about two years, the weight loss, stopped after my issues were fixed, but I did maintain it, w/o really trying. At 42 I thought I was going through the change, my periods got farther a part again and not very heavy. And other things I thought indicated menopause.
Anyways I was going through a def change, I was pregnant. Total shock, life changer. Since having my son, he's 4 now. I have met 4 other women who have gotten pregnant in their early to mid 40s all with pcos.
I have since learned, that fertility increases in women with pcos, as they age.There are some good articles on the internet explaining it.
This can be bad or good news, depending on how you feel about having kids at this stage of life. My son's a keeper, so it has been a good life changer for me. I do wish the medical field could make some progress with treatment, and that the fertility increase with age were more commonly known.
My Dr. now, is talking about prescribing Metformin. He believes I have based on all the symptoms.

Last edited by Grace1313; 11-07-2016 at 08:13 PM..
Grace1313 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:43 AM   #13
Carly

Grace, that is interesting that you say that. My periods have gotten more normal (for me) as I've aged- I'm 40 now. In my 20's it would not be unusual to skip 18 months or more and would sometimes need rx hormones to get it started again. Now (in the last 2-3 years) I get it almost every month, but sometimes 2-3 times per month

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:47 AM   #14
Grace1313
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, as PCOS is being studied more, they are finding a trend of regulating as we age. Late blooming ovaries, as one article put it.
I am also seeing a Dr. now who based on symptoms, not tests believes I have it. He has suggested metformin. I am undecided about it right now.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:55 PM   #15
Meek75
Senior LCF Member

Grace, same here. I've only had one cycle per year (every Nov) for the past 3 years, and when it does show up, it is horrible. I never had fertility issues, but with my last kid, it took us awhile to conceived. We had him early too (29 weeks). I'm surprise this is happening to me. I thought I was experiencing menopause, but my doctor said I am too young.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:47 PM   #16
Grace1313
Major LCF Poster!

Pcos is definitely an odd syndrome. For as many women that have it, it still seems relatively unknown, as far as what's really going on in our bodies and few treatments for it.

" I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be, but by the grace of God, I am not what I once was". - John Newton

Reminder to myself: share the grace I have been so freely given.

For Cynthia: I need food to fuel my body, not my emotions!
Old 11-10-2016, 05:12 AM   #17
Meek75
Senior LCF Member

Good morning, I hope you all have a wonderful day
Old 11-11-2016, 03:44 AM   #18
Grace1313
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Meek, hope your day is good too.

" I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be, but by the grace of God, I am not what I once was". - John Newton

Old 11-16-2016, 04:10 AM   #19
sarahatl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
I have a daughter who is 32 and I think she may have this. Her periods are very irregular -she does not have a period for 3 months sometimes. She does have facial hair as well. She is not overweight though she is very active. She would like to have children (wants to start trying at 35) - How is this officially diagnosed? Is there some type of blood test? Or is it just diagnosed on the symptoms.
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:20 AM   #20
Carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahatl View Post
I have a daughter who is 32 and I think she may have this. Her periods are very irregular -she does not have a period for 3 months sometimes. She does have facial hair as well. She is not overweight though she is very active. She would like to have children (wants to start trying at 35) - How is this officially diagnosed? Is there some type of blood test? Or is it just diagnosed on the symptoms.
I know when I had lab work done that some of my hormone levels were wacky. I want to say that my my Progesterone and something else was off. That and the classic symptoms (I have every single one) made the dx pretty clear to the MD who diagnosed me and several since then.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:09 AM   #21
Meek75
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahatl View Post
I had a lot of the symptoms; however, my diagnosis was confirmed by blood work. Please have her see a gyno for blood work.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:10 AM   #22
Carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meek75 View Post
I had a lot of the symptoms; however, my diagnosis was confirmed by blood work. Please have her see a gyno for blood work.
Or an endocrinologist.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:26 AM   #23
sarahatl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
Thank you so much!
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:14 PM   #24
Meek75
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Or an endocrinologist.
Oh yes! Thank you. I have an endo...maybe I should make an appointment to see him. It's been almost a year.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #25
Grace1313
Major LCF Poster!

I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:51 PM   #26
Meek75
Senior LCF Member

Hi Gracie. I had a great holiday weekend...preparing for work now.

How are you?

Have a great week everyone ��
Old 01-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #27
canadiangirl69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiangirl69
Stats: 318+/296.0/175 (to start) Size 28+/26/16?
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Came back to LCF Jan 14, 2017
I hope people still check this thread and keep it living. I was 45ish when I got the dx. Was sent to a gynocologist to see what was causing me pain, not for all the other symptoms I was having, like 150 pounds weight gain in a year though eating habits hadn't changed, they did once I got dx and it honk I went comfort food for my worries.

I had quite smoking and my doctor (GP) figured that and my age were my other symptoms causes. Like the horrific weight gain, hair growing where it never did before, face and chest, horrible menstral cycles. And the worst pain and weight carrying below ever, felt like something was going to fall out.

The gyno right away took samples of tissue inside my cervix and sent me that day for ultra sound scans and saw him 2 days later.
Turned out I had two cyst clusters the size of large grapefruit growing around my overuse. I was put on a do not carry or do anything warning for 1.5 months while we waited for a specialist in cancer to return to my city cause they didn't want to operate until he returned. I was put on pain pills, can't recall name, and sent home to rest and told to go to emergency if pain bleeding or anything got worse.
I ended up in emergency twice, the last time they kept me in for a month on pain mess and close monitoring. They were concerned the cyst could cut off my blood flow
The cancer specialist arrived back and two days after was operating on me. There was 13 people including myself in operating room, 3 specialist and support people.

After surgery my gyno said I should buy a lottery ticket.
- 299lbs Met Jan 18/17
- 275lbs
- 250lbs
- 175lbs

My journal
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...=881144&page=7
canadiangirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:20 AM   #28
Carly

I just experienced a 6 week long period that was very heavy almost the entire 6 weeks. I have been instructed to start on the BCP this coming Sunday and see how things are for the next 3 months.

ETA: I wound up in Urgent Care last Sunday, out of work Monday and very worn down. The OB/GYN I saw on Monday also put me on some type of rx vitamins.

Last edited by Carly; 01-13-2017 at 10:21 AM..
Old 01-13-2017, 10:33 AM   #29
canadiangirl69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiangirl69
Stats: 318+/296.0/175 (to start) Size 28+/26/16?
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Came back to LCF Jan 14, 2017
Oh Carly I feel for you. I was having those on and off. Would have nothing for months than 4-6 weeks of it. I hope it doesn't happen again for you.
- 299lbs Met Jan 18/17
- 275lbs
- 250lbs
- 175lbs

My journal
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...=881144&page=7
canadiangirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #30
Carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl69 View Post
Oh Carly I feel for you. I was having those on and off. Would have nothing for months than 4-6 weeks of it. I hope it doesn't happen again for you.
This was not the first time, but this time and one other time were, by far, the worst. The first time it was this bad I wound up in the ER.