Forum Jump

Old 11-06-2017, 10:57 AM   #1
Nikixie
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nikixie
Stats: 364/309/???
WOE: Atkins
Afraid to exercise

Has anybody ever had problems with being afraid to exercise?

I used to lift weights and do cardio without ever giving it a second thought but over the past two years Ive developed this irrational fear of having a heart attack and now I'm afraid of exercise.

I've been to the ER 3 times thinking I'm having a heart attack and after spending hours there having all the normal tests done, I usually get a Xanax and sent home. I've had 2 stress tests over the past couple years, both came back just fine. I've had a cardiologist tell me I'm fine, My GP tells me I'm fine and my endocrinologist told me to "relax and say no to people more often" (sage advice for real)

Im 43 years old and obese (although under 300lbs for the first time in 15 years ) but I go to the doctor regularly. My blood pressure is under control, my cholesterol and blood sugars aren't perfect but not horrible and they improve every time I get tested. I try and walk every day and I lift once or twice a week, but I don't ever exercise to the point of breaking much of a sweat because I'm so scared.

My doctor says I have anxiety Duh...

I'm just terrified of working out and dropping dead in the gym. Or dropping dead anywhere, really.

ARGHHH!! Has anybody gone through this?

Niki
Nikixie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #2
battler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: battler
I think you should go easy on yourself. I think your feelings are very understandable. No one can give you any assurances regardless of your weight so I say follow your instincts. I used to feel this way as well - my Granddad died at 60 and my father had an attack at 52 and it stemmed from that.

I don't have this fear now that my weight is in the normal range and blood sugar is down - I also feel much better and never have sharp pains in my neck which used to worry me.

I think the key is just to go gently with the exercise - walking and gentle weights and then build up as you feel the confidence to do so. Remember stress is not good either.

Do some research on cholesterol, its not related to heart attacks. Its the triglycerides that are the issue.
battler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:21 AM   #3
ab1ht
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ab1ht
Stats: 160+/154/143
WOE: Eating what Mother Nature provides
Start Date: Restart 5/6/2017
Chiming in way late, but my two cents...

If you're not comfortable exercising for now, then don't. At least not heavily. Wait until you get closer to your goal and then revisit.

How is your eating and weight loss going?
ab1ht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:09 AM   #4
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Walking is great. If you are comfortable walking, then do that.

Have you tried listening to something while you exercise? I like podcasts and audio books because I don't like to hear myself breathe. Maybe it would help take your mind off the exercise.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:30 PM   #5
anedz
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: anedz
Stats: 178/170.4/145 5'8.5"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Nov 26, 2017
I was gonna suggest walking as well. You can also try swimming. Maybe do some light weights at home until you are more comfortable?
anedz is offline   Reply With Quote