Forum Jump

Old 11-11-2017, 09:07 PM   #1
scintillady
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 192/188/140
WOE: Low carb/DDD/IF
Very disappointed

I have been following a very low carb diet (usually 20 g or less a day) and doing intermittent fasting, eating 1 meal a day, for about 3 months now. I have tested positive for ketosis the whole time and only had 1 "cheat" meal, which was pad thai about 6 weeks ago. I have felt wonderful, never hungry, full of energy, and noticed a decrease in belly fat. My clothes were fitting better. I have taken a variety of vitamins and supplements. Generally a positive experience. I hadn't gotten weighed as the scale and I are enemies, and I was waiting to get weighed at my annual physical. I also had a full panel of blood tests and I was so excited to see how I had done, especially the cholesterol and blood glucose tests. Imagine my dismay to find out that I had gained 2 pounds, and my cholesterol numbers were through the roof. My LDL was almost 200 points, and my HDL, which was good at 66 points, was not enough to offset it. My doctor wants me on statins, and I talked him into letting me try 6 more months to see if I can get it down on my own. My blood glucose was normal but just barely, even fasting. I don't know what more I can do. I guess I can try more exercise, but other than that I don't have any bright ideas. I feel like I really failed, despite everything. I had a whole day of eating everything and anything I wanted yesterday and will get back to the program tomorrow. The only good thing is that since I don't drink any longer it was only a food binge, not an alcohol one.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2017, 12:59 AM   #2
rharmelink
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rharmelink
As I understand it, if you burn your own fat, you get more LDL as a byproduct, but if you burn fat from food, there is no LDL byproduct. That's probably an over-simplification.

If that is true and you're losing weight, you would expect to see higher LDL.

Just anecdotally, my doctor prescribed a statin when my triglycerides went from 120 to 238. The next time I had a blood test, it was back to 120. He was so proud that the medication had worked so well. Only ... I hadn't gotten around to filling the prescription and taking it.
rharmelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:17 AM   #3
battler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: battler
Quote:
Originally Posted by scintillady View Post
Imagine my dismay to find out that I had gained 2 pounds, and my cholesterol numbers were through the roof. My LDL was almost 200 points, and my HDL, which was good at 66 points, was not enough to offset it.
You need to do your own research on cholesterol. There are many doctors and books that explain the truth, but in short, its not something to be concerned about and it changes all the time. Triglycerides matter - did you get that done?

As for blood sugars........there are other things that raise blood sugar and one of them is blue light which we are getting more and more if the form of devices, so you might want to try wearing some blue blockers...relatively cheap on Amazon.

The weight gain is llikely to be muscle given you can feel and see fat loss. Sounds to me like you have done really well, but been knocked back by an out of date doctor.
battler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:16 AM   #4
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I agree with Battler. You start by saying how great you feel and have been feeling. This is what counts not so arbitrary LDL # that is calculated and actually is not meaningful at all.

I think you are a woman and for that reason, I remind you that there is not a shred of evidence that statins do any good at all. In fact there is mounting evidence that they are actually bad for most people because they deplete co enzyme Q10 which is necessary for muscles such as the heart.

I am of the opinion that doctors are our consultants and should their advice should be treated as such. He/she is not your boss and seems to be behind in the current literature.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:35 AM   #5
flatferenghi
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: flatferenghi
for over 40 years, doctors wanted me on STATINS.

I said NO, NO, NO! I am still here. besides, most doctors do not know that there are 2 kinds of LDL, benign and otherwise. I am sure yours is the benign. my chol #s are disastrous. I don't care. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:11 AM   #6
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
If you are so inclined, would you care to share all your numbers? Also they need to do a VAP or NMR test on us low carbers to look at the nitty gritty of particle size of LDL. They increase and are usually the protective kind.

Ratios are important on a lipid and I am also in the camp of no statins and especially for women. I have a lot of articles about it but not sure I can post because of the rules.

Also, if you are adding extra ketone products for example....like MCT oil or coconut oil, etc, that can spike LDL very high ( Does me). I had to get off all of that.

There is also a lot of respectable bloggers, online doctors, etc that say when we switch to LC, do not test your lipids for 6 months as you are in the middle of weight loss and the fat is mobilizing. So many articles on line about that. "Why my cholesterol went up on a low carb diet" type of articles.

200 LDL scares doctors but like we said, its particle sizes that matter. and 66 for HDL is fantastic.

Cholesterol Clarity is a good resource.

Last edited by Stevie Renee; 11-12-2017 at 08:14 AM..
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:24 AM   #7
susan46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susan46
Stats: 256/211/150
WOE: High fat, low carb, moderate protein
Start Date: April 2016
Please research these issues fully. There is mounting evidence against statins.

Also read up on Big Pharma drug reps.

Amazon has some good books on the whole cholesterol issue.
susan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #8
fun w son
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fun w son
Stats: 301/230/200 (5'7")
WOE: not sure?
Start Date: July 13, 2013
i have been on several different statins for the past 10-12 years or so.. I HATE THEM!!!
as hard as it was, i dropped about 70lbs by going low carb and exercising.. statins make my muscles and joints hurt all the time!! i have been off of the statins now for about 2 months (dr. doesn't know).. i go for blood work next month.. I'm kinda scared about how my numbers may be... but we will see... if i were you, try to stay off those things for as long as you can... i really think they make your muscles deteriorate. although i work out i still have no strength and i feel tired all day.. good luck to ya!!
fun w son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:19 PM   #9
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Fun, I am so sorry you have had such troubles with those nasty drugs. Dr. Davis from WheatBelly has great articles on the bullying nature of these doctors and statins. grrr

And if you are so inclined, you can get a peak at your lipids before you go in if you want to pay like $30.00 - its online labs. Anyway, I always ask the office for my labs over the phone, do my own ratio calculation and come prepared for a fight. haha

And another idea is to get a calcium score. That tells you if you have plaque

Remember, low carb eating can make your LDl rise. So you could even as for the VAP or NMR for the real truth.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:24 PM   #10
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

A good snippet from Dr Davis/Wheat Belly on LDL
hey are “treating” either total cholesterol, which is a crude marker of cardiovascular risk in large populations but virtually useless when applied to assessing the risk of an individual, or LDL cholestrol, a calculated—not measured—value. Under the best of circumstances, calculated LDL cholesterol is an unreliable, imprecise marker for cardiovascular risk. Introduce physiological changes such as grain/sugar elimination or fish oil supplementation and dramatic changes develop in the composition of blood lipoproteins (fat-carrying proteins) that make the equation to calculate LDL cholesterol even more unreliable, in fact wildly unreliable. You can witness the unreliability of calculated LDL cholesterol when you perform a superior method of assessing cardiovascular risk, such as an NMR lipoprotein panel. Calculated LDL cholesterol might be, for example, 160 mg/dl—fairly high—but really be only 1000 nmol/L, the equivalent of an LDL value of 100 mg/dl—the calculated value is off by 60%.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:54 PM   #11
fun w son
Senior LCF Member

D-Day Wednesday

Well I’ve been off the statins a month and I go for the blood work and dr. Visit this week... really looking forward to what he might say.. been hitting the low carbing and exercising hard. Even ran another 5K at LSU last weekend.. I feel great. I will let you guys know how it goes..
Old 12-13-2017, 09:56 PM   #12
anedz
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: anedz
Stats: 178/170.4/145 5'8.5"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Nov 26, 2017
I am sorry to hear you were so disappointed. It seems like you have work so hard.
anedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #13
Salamander
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Salamander
Stats: 5'0"- 46
WOE: Stillmans
1. Most of the time, the LDL number is calculated based on the other figures.
There is an equation I found online a while back, or it might have been on Mark Sisson's site ... anyway, discussions were that the formula used is skewed for those of us on LC. (Sorry, it's been many years and I don't remember the specifics)

(Edited to add: google "marks daily apple how to interpret cholesterol , dated 12/21/11) Not sure if I'm allowed to link it.

2. The VAP test shows the type of particles. My vap test showed that most of mine are the big, fluffy type.

3. The various ratios are more important than the individual numbers.

4. Especially for women, having higher cholesterol protects our bodies!

I think your numbers are pretty good, and sure they will keep improving!! Keep up the good work on diet. I advise that instead of exercising more, you exercise smarter and incorporate some meditation, tai chi or just breathing.

Last edited by Salamander; 12-14-2017 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: Found link regarding LDL formula
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:35 AM   #14
DiamondDeb
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 150+ lbs lost
Don’t worry about the”bad” cholesterol or get excited about the “good” ones. The whole cholesterol “thing” is based on a theory that has been repeatedly been proven to be wrong. Facts. Science. Not opinion.

It is much more profitable to try and get as many people on statins as possible because those drugs cause health problems requiring more bad drugs that lead to more health problems. Please research thoroughly. Learn to make educated decisions and say NO when your doctor offers bad advice.

Get the right perspective. When Goliath came against the Israelites,
the soldiers all thought, He is so big. We can never kill him."
David looked at the same giant and thought, "He is so big. I can't miss." ~ Russell Johnston
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #15
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Fun-w-son, how did it go?!
Old 12-17-2017, 12:07 PM   #16
fun w son
Senior LCF Member

Total cholesterol went from 186 to 231.. ldl went from 101 to 161... dr said everything else looked great except for that... told me to take Crestor 10mg 3x’s a week... but he really didn’t seam to worried about the numbers.. after the holidays I wanna hit the low carb hard to drop my last 30 pounds, think imma stay off the Crestor..at least till after I drop the last 30...
Old 12-17-2017, 01:27 PM   #17
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/202/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by scintillady View Post
Imagine my dismay to find out that I had gained 2 pounds, and my cholesterol numbers were through the roof. My LDL was almost 200 points, and my HDL, which was good at 66 points, was not enough to offset it. My doctor wants me on statins, and I talked him into letting me try 6 more months to see if I can get it down on my own.
I just want to echo what some others have told you. This is your decision, to take the statin or not. You pay him to advise you as to what to do, but the final decision is yours.

My DH had a heart attack at 50. The doctor prescribed a statin, but DH said he didn't want to take it. The doctor said "So don't take it." DH is going to be 75 in a week. Still going strong.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #18
fun w son
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
I just want to echo what some others have told you. This is your decision, to take the statin or not. You pay him to advise you as to what to do, but the final decision is yours.

My DH had a heart attack at 50. The doctor prescribed a statin, but DH said he didn't want to take it. The doctor said "So don't take it." DH is going to be 75 in a week. Still going strong.
The more I think about it, the more I think I will not get back on them...
Old 12-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #19
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun w son View Post
Total cholesterol went from 186 to 231.. ldl went from 101 to 161... dr said everything else looked great except for that... told me to take Crestor 10mg 3x’s a week... but he really didn’t seam to worried about the numbers.. after the holidays I wanna hit the low carb hard to drop my last 30 pounds, think imma stay off the Crestor..at least till after I drop the last 30...
But did they test your LDL particle size. If they didn't, they are trying to treat something they did not look at. Low carb, fasting, keto all raise LDL. And that's not always a bad thing. It could be the good kind. I got a heart scan to check plaque. Zero thankfully but my LDL goes up on low carb via particle A size. fyi Get a VAP or NMR test

Wheat Belly author has a blog who talks a lot about this stuff. I learned a ton from him. He has kept me off the false security of statins. Check out his blog.

Last edited by Stevie Renee; 12-18-2017 at 09:21 AM..
Old 12-19-2017, 11:17 AM   #20
sports_mom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sports_mom
Stats: 253.6/220/175
WOE: Low Carb
I guess I have a great endocrinologist! I went yesterday and my hdl was good and high but ldl he said was creeping up there. Told me to hit the low carb hard and heavy until my next visit in 6 months! ��
Old 12-20-2017, 01:32 PM   #21
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/126.8/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
My DW became extremely sick from statins- was in the hospital for over a week last year.

Do your research and if you decide to take them make sure to supplement with CoQ10. Her doctor never mentioned it to her and in her case, it was almost fatal.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:46 PM   #22
makrida
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makrida
Stats: 142/126/125
WOE: low carb/if
Start Date: 4th Jan 2011
I wonder why they don't prescribe coq10 with statins. It's very well documented that it can be a problem
Old 12-21-2017, 06:27 AM   #23
fun w son
Senior LCF Member

I am on 100mg of coq10 along with the statin...it does help, but statins still make tired and cramps...
Old 12-21-2017, 12:18 PM   #24
kcjc7878
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kcjc7878
Quote:
Originally Posted by makrida View Post
I wonder why they don't prescribe coq10 with statins. It's very well documented that it can be a problem
Awareness is slowly growing among healthcare professionals. The response is often "yes, we know that statins lower CoQ10 levels, but we do not know if this effect is detrimental to health in the long term". Not a great rational IMHO. Given that our mitochondria need CoQ10 to make energy, it should be obvious that low CoQ10 levels can be a problem.

Those on statins should definitely look for a water and fat-soluble form of CoQ10 for better absorption.
kcjc7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:25 PM   #25
fun w son
Senior LCF Member

Anyone hear of taking BORON for joint pain?