Old 11-17-2017, 07:58 AM   #1
Jackie123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 244-again 😖
WOE: Atkins 72 induction eventually, zero carb for now
Start Date: September 2012/11-20-16 restart
Need a little help

I'm a low carb veteran, been on and off of various plans for years. I've had most success with keto. About 4 years ago I lost 70 lbs, only to gain it back within six months.

About six months ago I was diagnosed as diabetic. Since then I've been really trying to get back on keto-I'll go about two days and then face plant in carbs. I've never had this much trouble sticking to plan. My BG has improved, but I know that if I stick to keto I could go off my meds. Its like I'm just floating along, I have no willpower anymore.

I could really use some advice on how to stick to plan.
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2017, 08:06 AM   #2
Neko
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neko
Stats: 195/165/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/9/2017
I hate to be the bearer of bad news; but the first couple of weeks when getting back into the groove is all willpower. Often the excitement of a new diet will get you through the initial hump. Since you've been off and on the diet a few times, I think the interest of a new way of eating is gone and it's going to be harder to stick to.

Can you rid your house of the carbs you keep eating? I cannot rid my house of junk as I live with husband, two kids and my 100 pound mother in law. It's full of junk. But if you can, I would suggest spending the weekend making your house friendly for your new eating plan and start fresh on Monday.
Neko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:49 AM   #3
LeighLovesLC
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LeighLovesLC
I'm in Pensacola too, Jackie!

And like you, I've done the LC thing a few times, and have been successful as long as I was able to keep reminding myself that I cannot, cannot, cannot eat carbs the way a normal person can.

I re-inducted in April and I'm taking it slow. I'm down 22 pounds since then, but it's work every.single.day.

But I'm a single woman, 52, and live by myself. So while I don't have the challenges a lot of people face, I have to keep myself on track & focused.

Tell us about your situation....
LeighLovesLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
battler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: battler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie123 View Post
I'm a low carb veteran, been on and off of various plans for years. I've had most success with keto. About 4 years ago I lost 70 lbs, only to gain it back within six months.

About six months ago I was diagnosed as diabetic. Since then I've been really trying to get back on keto-I'll go about two days and then face plant in carbs. I've never had this much trouble sticking to plan. My BG has improved, but I know that if I stick to keto I could go off my meds. Its like I'm just floating along, I have no willpower anymore.

You have to decide what you really want and make the choice most conducive to that. I think most would acknowledge that it was a huge effort to come off the carbs.

You can eat carbs because you have your meds to fall back on. Thats the choice you are making at the moment.
battler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:54 PM   #5
Nigel
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie123 View Post

Maybe try a different plan, like SouthBeach or something similar. That diet is a lot easier and more lenient on the carbs and it does work. To truly rid yourself of diabetes, there is a book around called how to cure diabetes in 30 days. I have the book. You eat only plant based and nothing processed. You have to give up all sugar and artificial sweetners as well. Its hard to do but then so is living with diabetes which only seems to worsen with age.
Taking meds is not a good excuse to eat carbs, but many people do just that. Of course maybe they don't want to get off the meds either. Most people I know with the disease want to get off the meds.
I hope you find a solution/WOE that works for you.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:09 PM   #6
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
I think it's really beneficial to understand WHY you are doing this? If Atkins is your plan, go back and re-read the 1972 version of Dr. A's books. That was my A-HA! moment - re-reading and completely "getting it" as to what I was doing to my health by eating the way I had been.

If you're following some other plan, then go revisit the rules and the why-for's and understand what you're doing it and why. I really think it helps to "get it" - made it SO much easier for me to NOT eat the crap I'd been eating.

You can do this! Lots of support here in whatever form you need it! Kick in the butt, "atta girl" or whatever it needs to be to keep you going.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:50 PM   #7
Jackie123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 244-again 😖
WOE: Atkins 72 induction eventually, zero carb for now
Start Date: September 2012/11-20-16 restart
Thanks everyone for the good advice-I think it would be a good idea to re-read some books. My house is clean, food wise. My main trigger is going out with friends-I'll go planning to eat low carb, and then I'll get to their house or the restaurant, then eat what they are eating.

And hi Leigh!! So good to meet someone close by-we should start a p'cola low carb group
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #8
chipmunkis
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chipmunkis
Stats: 167.6 (Oct. 23, 2017), 135(goal)
WOE: ATKINS!
Start Date: restarting Oct. 23, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I think it's really beneficial to understand WHY you are doing this? If Atkins is your plan, go back and re-read the 1972 version of Dr. A's books. That was my A-HA! moment - re-reading and completely "getting it" as to what I was doing to my health by eating the way I had been.

If you're following some other plan, then go revisit the rules and the why-for's and understand what you're doing it and why. I really think it helps to "get it" - made it SO much easier for me to NOT eat the crap I'd been eating.

You can do this! Lots of support here in whatever form you need it! Kick in the butt, "atta girl" or whatever it needs to be to keep you going.
I agree! Also, make sure that none of the high carb foods are in your house. If you don't have them available, you can't turn to them. (I just saw you've already done this) Cut up cheese, pepperoni, celery, etc. so you have easy to grab snacks. That'll help, too! You can do this!

I'd also make sure that, if you're going out with friends, eat something high fat, low carb at home first, so you're not all that hungry when you go out, and thus less likely to be tempted.

Those we love never leave us but rather they live in our hearts forever ~msmoon~
(With love for mom, Kevin, Amma and Uncle Mike)

START TODAY. Do not wait until you feel better, or until the weather is nicer... Do it NOW. TODAY!

Last edited by chipmunkis; 11-18-2017 at 12:20 PM..
chipmunkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #9
LeighLovesLC
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LeighLovesLC
Aw Jackie, you have NO good defense being here and going out, since our fresh seafood is some of the best in the US!

Going to a friend's house can be sticky, but that just takes a little planning and diplomacy.

And you know steamed shrimp, grilled grouper, greens and fresh salads are on every brunch, lunch & dinner menu in town! I go out a LOT, especially downtown, and you can LC so easily and without fuss.

Nope, ya gotta do better than that excuse! *LOL*

Last edited by LeighLovesLC; 11-18-2017 at 01:06 PM..
LeighLovesLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:13 PM   #10
anedz
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: anedz
Stats: 178/170.4/145 5'8.5"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Nov 26, 2017
Sorry to hear that you are having a hard time, Jackie. Can you look at some motivational pictures? those before and after ones? That seems to help me... also squeezing into one of my dresses from before, even though that's a form of a psychological torture. Good luck!
anedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:44 PM   #11
Queenie324
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Queenie324
Stats: 261.0/240.8/150
Start Date: 10/10/2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighLovesLC View Post
I'm in Pensacola too, Jackie!

And like you, I've done the LC thing a few times, and have been successful as long as I was able to keep reminding myself that I cannot, cannot, cannot eat carbs the way a normal person can.

I re-inducted in April and I'm taking it slow. I'm down 22 pounds since then, but it's work every.single.day.

But I'm a single woman, 52, and live by myself. So while I don't have the challenges a lot of people face, I have to keep myself on track & focused.

Tell us about your situation....
I'm in this boat. I'm borderline diabetic, HBP and high cholesterol. I started on November 14th and have lost 10 lbs. I'm taking it easy and day by day. I really want off the medication and my BP was really high, which also scared me. I know I need to exercise. Working on that eventually. I am motivated right now, and that helps keep me on track. I am also single so I only need to worry about me.

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. - Phillippians 4:13

I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it.
Queenie324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:52 PM   #12
flatferenghi
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: flatferenghi
Jackie, i am a card carrying type 2 diabetic...

still in the process of weight loss. I do not have will power, nor did I ever have will power...not as regards food. the ONLY plan I was able to stay on for the long term was and is ATKINS. when I did go off, it was because I got cocky. when I lost a ton of weight, I "reasoned" with myself that I could enjoy an endulgence. I could not. off plan eating was for me like for an alcoholic, or drug addict. it took me months before i could get back on the horse. I see to it that I eat everything I love to eat ON PLAN. there are countless low carb alternatives for everything you love to eat...AND you have US for support. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:28 AM   #13
ab1ht
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ab1ht
Stats: 160+/154/143
WOE: Eating what Mother Nature provides
Start Date: Restart 5/6/2017
I've had a lot of the same difficulty. When trying to do traditional LC, I did really well at breakfast and lunch. Then dinner came and it was all brownies and vodka! Ok, not that bad, but you get the idea...

Recently showing my face here again because I'm seeing a glimmer of hope with fasting. I find that eating once per day (at lunch time) is really helping to keep my night time eating under control.

As for going out, if you know beforehand that you're just not going to eat (or maybe just have coffee or tea), that may help. Once you go a day or so with LC, the transition to a 24hr fast really isn't that hard. Maybe give Dr. Fung a look?
ab1ht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:40 AM   #14
anedz
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: anedz
Stats: 178/170.4/145 5'8.5"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Nov 26, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1ht View Post
Then dinner came and it was all brownies and vodka! Ok, not that bad, but you get the idea...
I am only laughing cause I have done that. Wine not vodka.
anedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:55 AM   #15
ixtapacheryl
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ixtapacheryl
Stats: 183/183/135 - 5'8"
WOE: '72 Atkins
Start Date: 12/29/2017
Back in 2006 I lost 57# in 4 months - doing zero carbs. I went from 183 to 126#. Since then I've gained back the weight and I am offering no excuses. I am starting again this Friday 12/29. What helped me back in 2006 was looking at all the before/after pictures. I thought to myself I am no different than all these people except I've never stuck to my plan. That really gave me incentive ---- kudos to all those that posted pictures and were successful. I also only weighed myself once a week and looked at my goal as only 5# increments. I would celebrate and pat myself on the back when I'd reach that 5# loss. I found that looking at that small number that I needed to obtain was a lot easier than 60#..... LOL You CAN do this.

"You will never find out what you can do until you do all you can to find
out!" - John Maxwell
ixtapacheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #16
Charski
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1ht View Post
I've had a lot of the same difficulty. When trying to do traditional LC, I did really well at breakfast and lunch. Then dinner came and it was all brownies and vodka! Ok, not that bad, but you get the idea...

Recently showing my face here again because I'm seeing a glimmer of hope with fasting. I find that eating once per day (at lunch time) is really helping to keep my night time eating under control.

As for going out, if you know beforehand that you're just not going to eat (or maybe just have coffee or tea), that may help. Once you go a day or so with LC, the transition to a 24hr fast really isn't that hard. Maybe give Dr. Fung a look?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtapacheryl View Post
Back in 2006 I lost 57# in 4 months - doing zero carbs. I went from 183 to 126#. Since then I've gained back the weight and I am offering no excuses. I am starting again this Friday 12/29. What helped me back in 2006 was looking at all the before/after pictures. I thought to myself I am no different than all these people except I've never stuck to my plan. That really gave me incentive ---- kudos to all those that posted pictures and were successful. I also only weighed myself once a week and looked at my goal as only 5# increments. I would celebrate and pat myself on the back when I'd reach that 5# loss. I found that looking at that small number that I needed to obtain was a lot easier than 60#..... LOL You CAN do this.
Wow, so happy to see you BOTH here again - no matter the reason! It's always great when familiar faces reappear!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:51 AM   #17
ixtapacheryl
Major LCF Poster!

It's great to be back. I feel the best when I am accountable to myself. Now I need to go grocery shopping for protein/cheese/eggs and create my spreadsheet to keep track. I only weigh once a week (I know it's hard) and then track my progress. I've already started walking again - 2 miles per day and sometimes 4-5 (depending on if I walk with a friend). So looking forward to 2018 and the new clothes I can buy.

out!" - John Maxwell
Old 12-28-2017, 10:43 AM   #18
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Just want to say back ixtapacheryl and ab1ht!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:36 AM   #19
ixtapacheryl
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Just want to say back ixtapacheryl and ab1ht!
Awe so happy to see all the "welcome backs". I think one of the reasons I am where I am (besides my dear husband passing away in 2009 from brain cancer) is I drifted away from this site. I obtained my goal and then I had no time. I need the constant daily check-in to remind myself why/how I met my goal. Also my husband (his birthday is today) was always a cheerleader in my corner. I miss that validation!

Happy New Year everyone .....

out!" - John Maxwell
Old 12-29-2017, 02:03 PM   #20
Big Stevie
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 260 Start/215 goal
Start Date: 1-1-18 back again
Hey Jackie, I am in your same boat. Lost a lot of weight and got off all diabetes meds. For the past several years I have been great. I started eating carbs and about a year ago, and now my weight is up and my doctor yesterday told me I need to go back on diabetes meds. Feeling sorry for myself today. But I know how to fix it, I have done it before. I have come to the realization once again, I just can't eat carbs. They give me all sorts of problems including weight gain, headaches, and blood sugar problems. I can lie to myself for awhile until I go to the doctors and he tells me the truth. Back to Atkins Induction for me starting January 1. Let's do it together.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:35 PM   #21
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / Clean Eating
Start Date: October, 1999
Hi, All!. Just a note of encouragement here - it really is something that you can make a lifestyle... I've been eating clean/low carb for just over 18 years now! You're training your body to use fat for fuel instead of carbs. So if you go back to eating the way you did before you will gain it back - even faster - because your body burns the carbs first and stores the fat.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:04 AM   #22
srmil30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srmil30
Stats: 203/162.6/145
Start Date: restart 7-22-15
Welcome back ixtapacheryl and ab1ht. It is so easy to fall off the wagon.

1st goal met-20 lbs gone
2nd goal met- 30 lbs gone
3rd goal met- 40 lbs gone
srmil30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:08 PM   #23
Big Stevie
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 260 Start/215 goal
Start Date: 1-1-18 back again
My BG numbers are slowly going down. I am feeling good after a tough first week. I am eating good and determined. Hope Jackie is with me!
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote