Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > General Health/Medical Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-25-2017, 04:08 PM   #61
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Oh, that's interesting. I watched the whole ultrasound so was able to see it for myself.

Sometimes tech's are the most reliable depending on their experience.....they see it all!

CT will show everything and probably more than you really wanted to know.
Get a copy of the CT report! My doc just brushed right over a very important finding but I asked for a copy and thought WTH?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2017, 04:32 PM   #62
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ronnie51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
Oh, that's interesting. I watched the whole ultrasound so was able to see it for myself.

Sometimes tech's are the most reliable depending on their experience.....they see it all!

CT will show everything and probably more than you really wanted to know.
Get a copy of the CT report! My doc just brushed right over a very important finding but I asked for a copy and thought WTH?
The surgeon said the same thing that you just wrote about the CT maybe showing more than we expected. I hope you're okay with that finding that the doctor brushed over. I've seen that happen before.
Ronnie51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 04:48 PM   #63
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
When I had my gall bladder scan in the hospital after my (assumed) issue with pancreatitis, the tech saw something she thought was unusual and immediately had the radiologist come in to see what she was worried about. So I suspect that they work more closely than is sometimes assumed.

By the way, as they conferred (and I could hear them), I said, "Yes, that spot on my liver is just a hemangioma. It showed up on an MRI several years ago and seems to be something I've had since birth."

Apparently, the tech was worried that it was cancer, and the radiologist had just decided it was only a hemangioma, but I spoke up before he could explain that to the tech. He laughed because it's always nice when things that look serious turn out to be benign.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:14 PM   #64
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

I've also had that experience during an ultrasound where the tech consulted with the radiologist during the test. But I do understand why the doctor doesn't want to do surgery based on an ultrasound. Because of an ultrasound, I had to have a D&C which showed absolutely nothing wrong. It was a waste of time, money, effort and worry.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:49 AM   #65
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Ronnie-
I totally understand the doctor, too. As I've mentioned, I've had two ultrasounds in 'preparation' for gall bladder removal [physicians' diagnosis], and both showed no problem. And I still have a gall bladder and haven't had any 'issues' for the past 7 years.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:28 AM   #66
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Since the CT is for the abdomen and not just one organ, all kinds of stuff shows up. Some are less important than others.

Stenosis and plaque showed of on the celiac artery root and because the doc sent me for kidney and ovary, she didn't take the time to read the whole thing.
I would not have known if I hadn't requested a copy.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:33 AM   #67
shunsweets
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
My daughter had her gallbladder out on Monday after 11/2 years of chronic pain and frequent attacks. She is 39, thin, and eats a low fat diet. Her ultrasounds and CT scan showed only inflammation ( and an incidental hiatal hernia) but the surgeon decided to do the surgery anyway as she was desperate for relief after such a long time. Had same day surgery and felt awful the first few days but now says she feels better than she has since the first attack and can finally eat without pain. Looks like it was her gallbladder all along even though the tests were essentially negative.
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:20 AM   #68
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

I just hope we don't get any surprises with the CT scan since DH has had two surgeries already with his abdomen. I'm nervous about his incisional hernia surgery as they used mesh and we keep hearing TV lawyer commercials about hernia mesh being recalled due to failure. I requested information from the hospital as to what mesh was used and it turns out the mesh on DH's hernia is not the same as the one that was recently recalled in 2016.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:53 AM   #69
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Ronnie, better to find out early enough to fix before a real emergency. Still, I understand the worry.

Shunsweets, she may have been negative for stones but inflammation of an organ can cause pain so if it was chronic, the choices are more limited.
I'm glad she's feeling good.