Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 05-19-2017, 06:10 AM   #1
Turbos02
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Turbos02
Out of gas...can't get passed first day!!! Help!!!

Hi All, Beginner here! I've tried low carbing in the past and have never been able to stick to it beyond one day. I decided to try again (doing keto this time) bc I have about ten more pounds to lose to get to my post baby #3 goal weight and I've been stuck for months. I love keto bc I never feel hungry, I have no cravings, it seems to help my mood, as well as reduces my migraines. My problem, however, is I cannot keep it going long enough to get into ketosis. I've been trying it everyday for two weeks now, and everyday it's the same thing:. I make it through the whole day eating mostly fat, some proteins (yes, I'm eating enough, but not overdoing it either)... I make it through the whole day, and then right around 6 o'clock, I feel weak, incredibly tired, absolutely no energy at all. I'm not hungry....I'm not craving anything...I don't even really want to eat anything (eating actually feels like a chore).....but I'm just completely out of gas. I end up eating carbs, not bc Im hungry or want them, but bc it feels like I have to in order to make it until bedtime (which is 9pm). "Outta gas" is the best way to describe how I feel. So, I eat some carbs for energy, and then have to start all over the next day bc I assume I've ruined my chances of getting into ketosis. This is how it always goes anytime I've ever tried the low carb (and now the Keto) thing.

Anyone else have this experience? How can I get myself some energy at the end of my day so that I don't feel like I have to eat carbs to keep going? I can't even get through one day. How do people do this for months at a time? I should say that I also exercise (jog), and haven't had the energy to do that, either. I'm just too zapped. Advice?
Turbos02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2017, 07:15 AM   #2
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / Clean Eating
Start Date: October, 1999
You need to research and understand the science behind keto way of eating. Your training your body to burn fat instead of carbs for fuel. It takes at least a couple of weeks (maybe longer) of eating clean, low carb to get past the "carb flu" as your body detoxes from the carbs. Every time you give in to the carbs, you defeat the purpose. I've been eating clean/low carb for over 17 years. It's not a diet you go on / off - it's a lifestyle.
Casey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:26 AM   #3
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
If your physical reaction to this way of eating is so strong, perhaps this is not appropriate for you. There are other ways to lose weight, and perhaps another plan might fit better with your individual physiology.

I've been eating this way for over a decade, and the only reason I continue is that my body seems to thrive on as few carbs as possible. Even when I first started, I never had the 'carb flu' or any other negative responses. That's why I believe this is right for me.

But that doesn't mean it's right for everyone. Why not explore some of the other plans--even some right here on LCF?
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:30 AM   #4
Jaded62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
Are you drinking enough water ? I know if I don`t drink enough I feel tired and get hungry.You might try some clear chicken broth in the evenings this might help. PowerAde Zero helps with carb withdrawal. Sounds like you are experiencing carb flu and a bit of a habit of eating at that time. Maybe read or find something else you like to do at that time of day. Good Luck !
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #5
Avocado
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Avocado
Stats: 270/218/202
WOE: LC: Sept 2016
Start Date: Nov 2015
Why don't you eat a big cheeseburger (no bun or sauce) at 6 pm and see if that gives you a boost?

226 225 224 . 223 222 221 220 219 218 . 217 216 215 214 213. 212 211 210 ... by Sept '17

Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:57 AM   #6
Turbos02
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocado View Post
Why don't you eat a big cheeseburger (no bun or sauce) at 6 pm and see if that gives you a boost?
I'm not hungry, though. Im just tired and weak. Eating at that point makes me nauseated.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:44 PM   #7
Avocado
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbos02 View Post
I'm not hungry, though. Im just tired and weak. Eating at that point makes me nauseated.
But you said you eat carbs? The idea is to not eat carbs. Find something low carb to eat that will give you a boost. Maybe even a green smoothie or yogurt?

226 225 224 . 223 222 221 220 219 218 . 217 216 215 214 213. 212 211 210 ... by Sept '17

Old 05-19-2017, 02:53 PM   #8
Jannybunny
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jannybunny
Stats: Got rid of the scales 7/28/17. Goal is size 8
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/30/16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
If your physical reaction to this way of eating is so strong, perhaps this is not appropriate for you. There are other ways to lose weight, and perhaps another plan might fit better with your individual physiology.

I've been eating this way for over a decade, and the only reason I continue is that my body seems to thrive on as few carbs as possible. Even when I first started, I never had the 'carb flu' or any other negative responses. That's why I believe this is right for me.

But that doesn't mean it's right for everyone. Why not explore some of the other plans--even some right here on LCF?
Jannybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:59 PM   #9
Turbos02
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocado View Post
But you said you eat carbs? The idea is to not eat carbs. Find something low carb to eat that will give you a boost. Maybe even a green smoothie or yogurt?
I didn't know yogurt was allowed on a keto diet....?

You are correct in that I did say I eat the carbs, but it's not bc I'm hungry or craving them (or even wanting them, really). I eat them bc, like I said, I am absolutely zapped of energy at that point and it honestly feels like I can't keep going until bedtime (which isn't even late cuz I go to bed early). Eating more protein or fat isn't gonna help that feeling I don't think. I'm looking for energy at that point, and that's why I'm not able to stick with it. Everything else feels great as far as I feel satiated, not hungry, no cravings, mood is better, headaches better, etc. I just can't stick with it long g enough to get into ketosis. Someone on another board told me it's just a matter of will powering through it. Really?
Old 05-19-2017, 05:23 PM   #10
Neko
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neko
Stats: 195/170/150
Start Date: 1/9/2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbos02 View Post
Someone on another board told me it's just a matter of will powering through it. Really?
Sometimes, yes. Sorry, it's not fun. But sometimes you have to keep going with a plan even when it feels uncomfortable. I don't really experience the "low carb flu" when going into ketosis. But there are plenty of evenings when all I want to do is dive into the junk food in this house.

After 2-3 days most people go into ketosis on a diet of less than 20 carbs a day. You might just need to keep convincing yourself during those first few days that you can make it without the carbs. Each time you eat them, it sets you back to the start of going into ketosis.
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:27 PM   #11
Turbos02
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
Sometimes, yes. Sorry, it's not fun. But sometimes you have to keep going with a plan even when it feels uncomfortable. I don't really experience the "low carb flu" when going into ketosis. But there are plenty of evenings when all I want to do is dive into the junk food in this house.

After 2-3 days most people go into ketosis on a diet of less than 20 carbs a day. You might just need to keep convincing yourself during those first few days that you can make it without the carbs. Each time you eat them, it sets you back to the start of going into ketosis.
So once I'm in ketosis the tired/weak/ out of gas feeling will go away? I thought all those symptoms were signs that I *was* in ketosis....?
Old 05-19-2017, 06:42 PM   #12
Neko
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neko
Stats: 195/170/150
Start Date: 1/9/2017
Those are the going into ketosis symptoms some people experience. Most people feel better and energetic in ketosis. Although there may be some people here who will tell you they don't feel good in ketosis. Day two - three is the worst for most people. Your body wants the carbs because they are an easy energy source.

I'm fortunate that I don't have many issues going into ketosis even when I slip out over an off plan meal. Others here experience the low carb flu and may have better insight than me about how to get over it.
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:33 AM   #13
Avocado
Major LCF Poster!

I think you're over thinking it Turbo. You're coming off carbs, not heroin. As Neko said, it can be difficult over the first few days, but people do much more challenging things with food. Fasting for days, for instance. If your cravings are under control, that's a major major plus, so it's just a case of dealing with your energy level.

If you really do want some kind or carb boost, eat some nuts or some berries, in small quantities. I don't know the detail of keto, just low carb (Atkins) but small quanitites of yogurt are ok (5g per 100g and 100g is a serving of yogurt). If you get soya yogurt it's only 2g per 100, so you could have a slighty larger serving (150g) and that will keep you going. Green salads with some (with or without protein) can be a small carb boost. There are definitely some good choices out there. If you look on the daily threads (eg. SATURDAY...) you can see example menus and get some good ideas.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:05 AM   #14
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/165/155
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
You sound as if carb withdrawal is hitting you hard in a short period of time. 2 cups of salty broth should help a lot. Every day until you are feeling great. It is replacing lost electrolytes.

Most people have to use plain old determination to get through the induction period.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote