Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-22-2017, 05:43 AM   #601
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/166/145
WOE: NSNG/Fung fast
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
Marsha, I finally gave in and bought the Guide to Fasting for my Kindle. I started reading it yesterday and so far it's about long term fasting, actually one guy did it for over a year. 382 days. Now that's really pushing it. I heard from someone else that the book also gets into fasting with an eating window, and EOD fasting, which is more for me. And it also has some discussion about diabetes. I hope I get some insight from those chapters.
Yeah, I think that story is for the purpose of illustrating that, if done with medical supervision, fasting is not equivalent to death. I've been switching it up and haven't fasted since Tuesday in anticipation of doing a 3-5 day fast. No longer. That will be so tough. Meanwhile, I've been concentrating on eating less protein as I was eating it as if it was limitless and getting veggies in and otherwise eating right. I'd still like to lose without "having" to fast, but at least I know I won't be gaining as I've not been eating the carbs I was eating over the winter. It seems like there are people doing multiple days fasts without a lot of time in between, and I don't think that's what is intended. So that is why I've just decided to really keep switching up. I haven't lost anything this month but that's okay.

Restart: 2/16/2017 184
Low: 4/26/2017 166
Current: 4/26/2017 166
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2017, 01:43 PM   #602
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/201/? 5'4"
WOE: JUDDD, reduced carb
Start Date: Tomorrow
Marsha, I agree with you that there should be some time between extended fasting. I noticed the same thing when reading about some other people fasting. Good luck on 3-5 days. That's long! In this book, one thing that Dr Fung mentioned was that the good thing about fasting is that if a longer fast gets too hard you just eat, and there's no harm done. Do as much as you can.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:11 PM   #603
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Marsha, I agree with you that there should be some time between extended fasting. I noticed the same thing when reading about some other people fasting. Good luck on 3-5 days. That's long! In this book, one thing that Dr Fung mentioned was that the good thing about fasting is that if a longer fast gets too hard you just eat, and there's no harm done. Do as much as you can.
Thanks, CarolSue. I am starting today. I will go to Tuesday and attempt my first restaurant outing with no eating. THAT will be weird. But I need to do it at some point and be okay with it (and my husband as well) or my fasting protocols will be limited. Then if I get through that, I'll take the rest one day at a time.

I haven't lost for weeks but haven't been yo-yoing much either; and, I tell ya, I take that as a victory! Really looking forward to getting back to swimming but the pool is still cold (warmer here but not THAT much yet! lol). Plus I've been doing a lot of skincare and I want to get through that before I hit the sun (yes, I know I don't make sense! lol I know sunlight is the devil, but I just love the feeling on my skin.)

Old 04-24-2017, 05:05 AM   #604
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Yay! Down 2 overnight to a new low on my first day this week of fasting. I've got a week left to lose 4 more to make my 5 lost for April! (heh) Will I make it? Doubt it. But it gives me some motivation to tackle this week's fast. Anyway, just wanted to share.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:07 AM   #605
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: schaferk
Stats: 165/134/125
WOE: Atkins/protein Power
Start Date: 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmarsha View Post
Yay! Down 2 overnight to a new low on my first day this week of fasting. I've got a week left to lose 4 more to make my 5 lost for April! (heh) Will I make it? Doubt it. But it gives me some motivation to tackle this week's fast. Anyway, just wanted to share.
Congrats on that loss Marsha!! Good luck on your fast.

I made it thru the 13.1 mile half Marathon and I'm still alive. Time was 3 hrs and 23 minutes. It was horrible as I had figured it would be but it's over now!! I think my pace was 15.4 minute miles with one bathroom stop in Animal Kingdom. The race route went thru 3 Disney parks and up and down ramps on the highways between them but was pretty cool!!! A very fun run, but too taxing on my body at this age. I thought it was never going to end. Probably will be my last half marathon.
schaferk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:03 AM   #606
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Kris, I think it's great that you did it at all so to me, you did good! I don't think I could even walk slowly that far. I get excited if I go farther than a mile. LOL

Marsha, see, one day you said you haven't lost in a while, and the next day you are down 2. Your body is doing it in it's own time, and slow weight loss is better because it stays off. I think you will make your goal, easily!

I had a great breakthrough this morning. DH asked me if I wanted scrambled eggs before he made them. He usually just makes them and sits them in front of me. Yay! I think he's catching on. At best, I want to stop eating by the clock, and eat only when I am hungry, if at all.

I have been reading more and more of the Guide to Fasting. I am still not ready to try long term, but short term might become so easy that I might someday want the challenge of a longer fast. I won't rule it out completely.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:01 PM   #607
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaferk View Post
Congrats on that loss Marsha!! Good luck on your fast.

I made it thru the 13.1 mile half Marathon and I'm still alive. Time was 3 hrs and 23 minutes. It was horrible as I had figured it would be but it's over now!! I think my pace was 15.4 minute miles with one bathroom stop in Animal Kingdom. The race route went thru 3 Disney parks and up and down ramps on the highways between them but was pretty cool!!! A very fun run, but too taxing on my body at this age. I thought it was never going to end. Probably will be my last half marathon.
I almost ... almost ... want to do this just for the fun of running through the parks. That sounds so cool. I mean, it's during park hours, right, so other park goers are watching? Oh, lord, if I say I'm starting to train for a marathon .. even a half .. my husband will know I've gone around the bend. Ha!

Old 04-24-2017, 04:09 PM   #608
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I had a great breakthrough this morning. DH asked me if I wanted scrambled eggs before he made them. He usually just makes them and sits them in front of me. Yay! I think he's catching on. At best, I want to stop eating by the clock, and eat only when I am hungry, if at all.

I have been reading more and more of the Guide to Fasting. I am still not ready to try long term, but short term might become so easy that I might someday want the challenge of a longer fast. I won't rule it out completely.
Baby steps! It's funny, we never just make food for each other without asking. My husband says, So if you're not eating [Tuesday night], that means I get to decide where we go (which is dumb because there's times I've wanted him to pick but he won't and lets it up to me, you know?). But, of course, I have no say this week (he didn't say but he must know already what he's hungry for. Probably sushi which means the waiter is going to "harass" me. He's nice but a little overfriendly than I like. This will be
a major victory if I don't eat and there is no carnage).

Carol, I was already going easily 16 hours which made it a more natural progression for me when I did it more purposefully. But reading about it first I think is key. It's very easy to do it wrong thinking you're doing it right.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #609
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

What can you do wrong? No food, is no food! ????

If DH makes breakfast, he makes eggs for me without asking. Just assumes I want them. If he makes sausage for himself, he gives me some. I told him I don't want it, but he still puts at least one on my plate. If he makes baked potatoes, he makes 2. If he makes fried potatoes, there is half a plate left over and he lets them sit there...until I toss them. If he cooks hot dogs, there's one sitting there, assumably for me. Now I try to catch him if I see him making something and tell him I don't want any. This morning asking about the eggs was a first! In some instances I think he really does just make too much. I will give him that. Other than dinner, he rarely wants anything I'm making except maybe hard cooked eggs. I am usually making weird things that he won't eat and I know not to even ask.

Last edited by PACarolsue; 04-24-2017 at 06:38 PM..
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:00 PM   #610
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
What can you do wrong? No food, is no food! ????
I know and Dr. Fung says that. But if you don't eat enough when you finally feast, it sort of turns into a low calorie diet which is eventually going to lower your BMR. That's why I'm going at least 36 hours from now on to make sure I get a good amount of time over 24 hours which is at least what I think I need for weight loss. I'll do OMAD for maintenance or to just take a break. And then there's the drinking of bone broth to help you extend. That breaks autophagy. So if I can't go anymore, I just decide to eat rather than push it with the bone broth.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:31 PM   #611
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Everyone! Still in Orlando It's so great here. Yes Marsha it is SO VERY fun running thru the parks. Races start at 5:30 AM so it's dark and parks aren't open yet as you run from one park to the next but it takes 3 hours to finish so yes the parks are all open eventually as you run thru thru them and the people are all at the finish lines cheering you on, it's roped off and the path is clear. Disney races are CRAZY expensive as is everything in Disney but I'll admit they sure are fun I don't want to do another half marathon, 13 miles is too much for me to run, about kills me. But I'd do some of the 5K or 10K runs which are the same weekends. All the characters are dressed up along the course and Star Was music was playing everywhere, makes it pretty cool.

I'm still getting lot of walking every day so hopefully not gaining, but I am eating more
Old 04-25-2017, 06:10 PM   #612
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Marsha, I don't think I would ever have a problem of not eating enough when I break my fast. In fact, I was saying on another thread that I'm having trouble doing the DD on JUDDD, but I'm real good at doing the UDs. LOL Actually, although I have not been able to stick with <500 cals on DD, I am down 3 lbs. I didn't want to get on the scale because I wasn't doing good on DD, but I figured I'd better face the music in case I'd gained. I am still struggling to get back into Onederland and stay there. I just bounce in and out and I hate that. I just hate seeing that 2.

Kris, I'm glad you're having such a good time, and don't worry about the eating. Enjoy yourself. It's a vacation!! Who is with you besides DH? Are your grandchildren with you?
Old 04-25-2017, 08:14 PM   #613
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Marsha, I don't think I would ever have a problem of not eating enough when I break my fast. In fact, I was saying on another thread that I'm having trouble doing the DD on JUDDD, but I'm real good at doing the UDs. LOL Actually, although I have not been able to stick with <500 cals on DD, I am down 3 lbs. I didn't want to get on the scale because I wasn't doing good on DD, but I figured I'd better face the music in case I'd gained. I am still struggling to get back into Onederland and stay there. I just bounce in and out and I hate that. I just hate seeing that 2.

Kris, I'm glad you're having such a good time, and don't worry about the eating. Enjoy. It's a vacation!! Who is with you besides DH? Are your grandchildren with you?
No grandkids this trip PAC. The oldest one just turned 5, we have not brought any of them yet. My oldest daughter & SIL are here with us but with us all running the race there would have been no one to watch them during that time. Their momma, our youngest DD couldn't come and bring them since she's pregnant again. I hope to get the kids here soon but I'll be baby sitting the new baby for a few months once he's born so we won't be taking any vacations for awhile. Another boy. I think momma wanted a girl since they have 2 boys but it will be 3 now.

Just got back from Epcot fireworks. Was another long day in the parks, over 23,000 steps. I'm pretty tired.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:07 PM   #614
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I only did at first and mostly because my body was just confused. Now, as long as I break it gently and then wait an hour or so to eat a full meal, I'm fine but really concentrating on adding fats. I have a couple avocados in the fridge right now and I hope they will keep till I decide to break.

Right now, I'm feeling good. I'm at about 60 hours which is as long as I've ever gone. I think tomorrow may be tough to get through. I'm reading about HGH and autophagy and seeing it that will motivate me to stick to it and go for 4 days and beyond.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:58 AM   #615
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Love this fasting, so worth it ... but it's tough. BUT down 3 so far, so the good thing is I know that although I hadn't lost anything so far this month, I am now seeing the benefits of my body finally cooperating by letting go of the fat.

Made it through the restaurant. Actually, I made it through two since the bar we play trivia at we also eat at sometimes, too. I have roughly 6 hours to go to make it a full 3 days.

Pros: Down 3 (feel like I'll see another new number today).

Cons: It's really weird getting used to. I am really thinking of eating today, and not just because I WANT to. I may NEED to by the end of the day.

Was reading about the benefits of HGH as well as the autophagy. I tell you, with my ramped up focus on anti-aging and skincare this year, this aspect of fasting REALLY speaks to me.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:38 AM   #616
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Correction, ONE more for my April 5 pound goal. I think I can get it and I know I will bounce when I eat again but that's okay. This is the thing that's gotten me restarted after a LONG plateau and short re-gain.

I hadn't weighed for probably a year, but I know where I was last year when I was doing my boot camp. So I don't know the last time I was actually at my current weight, but I know it's been over a year.

Last edited by Madmarsha; 04-26-2017 at 08:49 AM..
Old 04-27-2017, 12:49 PM   #617
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Good for you for being so close to your low weight, Marsha. That must be such a good feeling. I think your body will let you know when you need to eat, rather than just want to eat. Let it guide you. You are doing great, so don't feel you have to fast for a certain number of hours.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:38 AM   #618
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Good for you for being so close to your low weight, Marsha. That must be such a good feeling. I think your body will let you know when you need to eat, rather than just want to eat. Let it guide you. You are doing great, so don't feel you have to fast for a certain number of hours.
Oh, yes, it's a very fluid thing. It is helpful to start out with a number in mind, but always prepared to end it when I need to. It's always different. I end it at 72, but then I just felt so full. I couldn't even drink my water yesterday. So I basically ended up doing another 24 hour. I need some green leafies so i will do a good salad today.

So, of course, while fasting, I'm going days without any bread or sugar. But it occurred to me that fasting is really breaking my psychological "need" for it. I doubt totally and permanently. I do enjoy my GOOD bread too much and sweet things. But I'm not OBSESSED with it. I mean, I'm normally that person that sitting at a table with a breadbasket in front of me, I can't keep my eyes off of it, you know, and takes SO much strength to not eat it. I think it's a subtle change so far; but who knows, as fasting becomes a common thing, it may really sever that connection. Which is what I wanted. I've always been jealous of people who seemingly aren't haunted by thoughts of bread and Reese's PB cups like I am.

Three more days for one pound. Which means I have to get on the scale. I don't know if I should.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:42 AM   #619
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Congrats Marsha! You are doing great! It is a good feeling getting to your low. I'm happy you are doing so well with the fasting. It's not easy I know but it works so well!

I'm not on any kind of plan right now and eating whatever I want. I'm getting over 20 thousand steps per day so at least I'm moving. No loss I'm sure but clothes still fitting so maybe no gain either? No scale in the gym here. I'm eating a lot that's for sure. Had Mangino's Italian last night which is my favorite here in Orlando. Probably laying by the pool today and then Epcot.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:39 AM   #620
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Marsha, just keep in mind, nothing will change if you get on the scale except for your knowledge of the situation. You either lost, or you didn't, and getting on the scale or not won't change that. For me, I would hate thinking I did so good and then getting on the scale and seeing no change, or worse, an uptick.

I was thinking about what you said about how long it had been since you weighed. I first started watching my weight around age 21. That's when I bought my first scale, and I have not been without a scale since then. I rarely went more than a week without weighing myself, and could tell you my weight within a couple pounds at any time. I can't imagine otherwise. I don't feel that I'm obsessed about my weight, but to me, it's like knowing what day it is or knowing what time it is. Being retired, it should never matter what day or time it is, but I always seem to know.

One of my friends, who has always been naturally thin doesn't even own a scale. She said her pants started getting really loose, so when she went to the doctor she got weighed and had lost 15 lbs. If I lost 15 lbs without trying, I would think I was dying. She often forgets to eat, or is just too busy. But she eats whatever she wants with no concern for calories, carbs, or quantity. When she doesn't feel hunger anymore she stops, even if there is still food on her plate. Her body just knows when it's had enough.

Now, I don't know what your reason was for not weighing, but it just shows how different people are. I know there are people who are diagnosed with diabetes and given a prescription for Metformin, but never ever check their blood sugar. They eat whatever they want and just assume that the Metformin is taking care of everything. Even when I was eating strict low carb and my blood sugar was very good, I still felt compelled to check it several times a day. Maybe I'm just obsessed with numbers.

I think I should have been a psychologist. I love studying what makes different people behave in different ways.

Kris, I want to be like you. I struggle to get over 5k steps. I know it would be better if I would get back to exercising. Broken record. Over and Over. I keep promising but I'm not doing. It's the doing that makes the difference, not just the saying. My friend walks every day and she just told me she gets 55K steps per week. Even with walking daily, she is not coming close to your 20K. I have been over 10K twice. I would love to get 20K, but I can't imagine every walking that much in one day. Sounds like a good goal, though. I want to be like you with the steps, and like Marsha with the fasting. My name could be "Krisha." LOL

I can't remember when we've had such a warm April, and it doesn't seem to stop. I have been sitting out in the sun. It helps clear up my psoriasis. Normally in April it's too cold to sit outside like that. By June, the leaves will be out completely on the trees and our deck will only have sun for a hour or so.

Right now I have given up losing weight. I'm just not in the mode. Marsha, I also love bread, but I can't give in to it or my blood sugar will go sky high out of control. Used to be I would bake a loaf of that frozen bread dough, and I could sit down and eat the whole thing, still warm, with butter. I could make that my meal. I also used to like sweets, but for some reason, they are sickeningly sweet to me. I can handle chocolate, but not baked goods etc. DH has baked goods in the house at all times. Mostly he buys them in the store, but sometimes I bake for him. Problem when I bake is he's the only one eating it and it goes stale and gets thrown away. The things I bake rarely tempt me. It's a good thing with my blood sugar problems. I think the longer you stay away from sweets the less they tempt you. It's the staying away long enough that's the problem. I think I lost the sweet part of my taste buds, and they have been replaced by savory. I just hate the sugary taste. The only exceptions are chocolate candy, or ice cream. Still like ice cream.

Last edited by PACarolsue; 04-28-2017 at 06:43 AM..
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:44 AM   #621
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Here's my thing about the scale. People say measure instead. But I just don't see enough change in the ONE measurement I care about, my waist. So I get on the scale and hopefully I'll see a change that will give me that little boost. I just can't face getting out the tape measure and not seeing a difference. I've always owned a scale but very often go long periods where it just sits. I just thought that was one of those things you were supposed to have. lol I can't imagine losing 15 pounds without trying. I don't think I'll ever be that forgetful about eating, but I'd kind of like to be.

I am so thankful that I finally got back into this frame of mind. I had gotten The Obesity Code last year but just wasn't ready yet.

I think my husband won't do the restaurant thing with me again while I'm fasting. lol He said HE was so uncomfortable. For me, it wasn't a thing. I had already made up my mind I was gonna do it!

Old 04-28-2017, 08:12 PM   #622
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

I rarely measure. I do have my measurements recorded on my online tracker so I can go back and compare if I want to. My waist is my main problem, too. It increased a lot when I had my bowel surgery. The muscles that are supposed to hold my stomach in are totally destroyed, so it will probably always be like that unless I would have the muscles repaired, basically a tummy tuck. Not at my age. LOL

People tell you to measure when the scale isn't giving you a drop, but when you think about it, if you haven't lost pounds, the inches aren't going to be that much different.

One time I lost about 20 lbs unexpectedly. Went to the doctor, and my thyroid was out of whack. Once that straightened out, I gained the weight back. That's what I thought happened to my friend but at her next doctor appt she said all was well. She didn't have any other thyroid symptoms.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:46 PM   #623
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Lots of good conversation!! I think I may be obsessed with weighing for the most part, but have not been able to this week as no scales around here I think I've gained the last few days - eating at DD's favorite restaurants a lot lately and ice cream and strawberry frozen drinks.

I had 105,386 steps this week. OMG. This is definitely NOT my norm but being in Disney and of course the 13 mile half marathon race really pushed the steps up there for this week. Don't want you ladies to think I normally do this. I mean I try my hardest to get a lot steps in but Disney is nothing but walking and more walking. It's so much walking to get anywhere and around all the parks. MMy usual is more like 10,000 steps per day but I don't always make that, sometimes only 5,000. It has been an experience being here and the race and all. My feet are killing me every night tho. It is an experience for sure. DD & SIL leave for home tomorrow and DH and I will be on our own. It's going to be weird and I sure will miss DD. We are going to look around for some houses/property here in Florida