Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-18-2017, 04:12 AM   #91
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Going2
Stats: 223/205(166)/150 5'8"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2003
Better - Think you mentioned that's a funny thing about fasting, when you break it you can have a loss. Your goal is in sight and so close now--good job!

BLCSW - Hope your little one is over the hump with that fever and being sick. A small walk is nice for getting some activity and having a few minutes to get some air.

Jeanne - Nice to hear your blood glucose is good these days, one less worry in your day. Do share how those Norwex cloths clean. I like how microfiber washcloths work but not how they feel in my hands, it's like they "snag" on my skin, especially my palms, and it's an "ick" feeling.

Crazy1 - True that about it being a mind game for eating, but your OMAD plan seems to work well for you and has some flexibility too. Sweet of you to bake for your group, can tell you are generous person.

Scale's back down a pound and a half, so guess I "recovered" yesterday. Crazy thing is it wasn't a LC or diet day either--included 2 KFC drumsticks and a hearty portion of LC lasagna made with Dreamfield's noodles. At least dinner was just salad and some cheese. Proves for the umpteenth time the scale isn't a reliable indicator of weight loss day to day, best to do an average like Crazy1 does.

Hate that I kicked myself out of ketosis all weekend, always takes a solid 3 days to get back in, darn it. At least our weather's moderate right now and zero excuses for not being active--nothing's seriously hurting and we don't have commitments for a few days. How much do you think I'll get done? HAHAHA
Going2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2017, 05:34 AM   #92
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/187.5/148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
good morning--it is home day here I hope!

BLCSW--sorry about the fever but you didn't let the stress cause you to eat!! always a major plus in my book

Crazy--so glad to hear the scale is moving back down recovering from Thanksgiving...I really kind of enjoy the rain days now since we sure haven't had much--especially in my jammies and with a good book...

going2--woohoo on the pound and half--now that is what I call a recovery!!! I didn't realize that dreamfields made a lasagna noodle!!! they don't have it in my local stores so will have to check it out!!! thanks for the info! I feel the same way about microfiber texture--just never realized it enough to put it in words!!

I have lots of paperwork to do today--things I just pile up and don't take the time to deal with it...have a great hump day everyone!

Jeanne

ďItís in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.Ē ~Anthony Robbins

Each decision that you make indicates what you think you are worth~
~~A Course in Miracles~~
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:51 PM   #93
betterthanever
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: betterthanever
Stats: 265/165...165/155
WOE: Atkins/fasting
Start Date: Feb 2014
It's a mind game, that's for sure!! I've only been eating about 500 cal the last 3 days, but the scale hasn't moved. Well, I know it will HAVE to in time, if I can just wait it out! I was a little tired doing the stairs at school today (have about 50 to go up and down several times a day), but when I checked my calorie totals, that made sense. I can eat more if I need to, but I remember I had to work really hard to get weight to move when I was this weight last time. I had to bounce around from one technique to another...high fat, low fat, I don't remember all what I tried. I suspect it will be the same this time. BUT--I can really see a difference in the way I look!

I'm only looking to lose another 10-20 lbs. It puts me out of the obese category and into overweight. Theoretically, I should lose 40 lbs to be solidly in the normal category. But I haven't been that low since I was a child. And when I was 10 lbs less than I am now, my primary care doc said he didn't want me to lose any more. Maybe he was worried I'd go anorexic...I'll have to ask him at my next appointment if it was that, or if he felt I'd be healthier at my age (57) being on the higher end.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:34 PM   #94
BLCSW
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BLCSW
Hey Ladies still havenít weighed but I have been trying not to eat crazy..I been doing walks....But my TWIN has lost a lot of weight FASTING and doing acupuncture but I donít wanna spend the money she spends....I guess it the same with my meals I consumeHopefully I remember to weigh Tom...Itís crunch time on Halloween 5pds down...hope all is well.
BLCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:27 AM   #95
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Jeanne - Enjoy your home day, hope a less active day is beneficial. Will be nice to get some paperwork done and feel accomplishment.

Better - Do you think your body has adapted a bit to fasting and doesn't take it as "seriously" anymore? At least you can see the WL; we all know the scale isn't definitive for it.

BLCSW - Interesting on your twin, do you think the acupuncture is doing something, or the combo with fasting is? Good for you doing walks, such a great exercise!

Sooo ... I had a binge day yesterday, first one since early August. Guess it's good that I've gone almost 2 months, but it sure was a doozy. Felt like a bottomless pit and you know I was craving carbs! After a sensible breakfast, it included 2 cans of Progresso pasta soups, an entire can of light Cherry pie filling, a tin of sardines, lots of cheese, scrambled eggs, some Fritos corn chips, some other odds and ends (HAHAHA!)--you get it. The good news is that, other than chips, our home is pretty much SF and LC, so unless I wanted to bake a frozen pizza, we keep some Dr Oetker's lower carb we don't have carb-dense stuff.

The trigger was my deadline to come up with a treasurer's report for my volunteer gig in the neighborhood association and I was struggling to get numbers and do a couple graphs--was like being back at work! It has been taking a big chunk of time and I kept going back to correct and tweak numbers, needed some hand-to-mouth stress-eating action, IYKWIM. Was able to e-mail it to everyone just 2 hours before our meeting last night--phew!

Anyhow, hate that my overeating is tied to emotion and psyche, am really bummed out. Yah, been in this spot plenty of times before, know to get back on the horse, yadda, yadda. Need to focus on the past two months of being binge-free and not beat myself up because that'll lead to even more stress/emotional eating--argh!

I know it's not all about me here, just wanted to vent and share that it is still a journey.

"Onward and downward!"
Old 10-19-2017, 01:53 PM   #96
Crazy1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Crazy1
Stats: 198/176/140
WOE: Lower Carb/ IF
Hello Friends,

Great job, BLCSW! 5 pounds is huge! WTG!

Hang in there, better. The will soon move.

Ah, Going2, so you binged! Life happens. Weight loss is a life long journey and there are bumps along the way. hey, how's that kitty? Any pics or stories to share?

Jeanne: The dreaded paperwork! I know all about that, How's your mom doing?

I am still in a funk. My father frustrates me so much, but I have to let it go. He's old, sad and lonely and doesn't think things through. He's also mean but I think he always has been....we just didn't notice it as much because my mother smoothed things over. He has finally asked me to go through my mothers things.....after offering everything to 5 other women so it's kinda bittersweet.

I am planning a visit next month so I will do it then. My father will be in California so he won't be around to torment me. I'll just pack it all up, take what I want and donate the rest. Pretty sad that the family is happy that my dad leaving but he wears us down....especially my youngest brother.

MY SIL and I both mentioned a solution to my dad's problems would be a seniors residence but he said he would kill himself before going there. We both made the suggestion within a 2 day span and we hadn't talked about it to each other so you would think if 2 members of your family brought up the subject that it might be worth looking into..........Nope! Not going there.......Rather kill himself! So we are glad he is going away.

Still raining here so I've been doing laundry. Also have to dig out some recipes and do a test bake because MY SIL's and I are going to bake some of my mom's specialties while I am there. German Kuchen if you've ever heard of it. Sweet dough, fruit, custard, crumbs.....lots of work but very tasty. So I need to do a practice run as I haven't made it a long, long time.

Best whooshes to you all.

Onward and downward!
Crazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:34 PM   #97
BLCSW
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BLCSW
Going 2. I kno Binging is definitely tied to emotions and itís hard to find out the trigger which mainly is Boredom or Stress.... yes, Yes!!! On that bottomless pit feelingm
My sister and Dad lost a tone of weight doing fasting....itís extreme discipline and I jus donít have it...yet

But mines is this late night snacking. Horrible!!!!

Crazy You have a lot of things going on with your Dad.... In my profession ppl are sometimes shock how the Elderly population are mean......I tell them if they cuss or act crazy when they were younger...9 times out of 10 itís the same person jus with gray

I am not okay got on the scale I was 275...that is 20 ptís more then I was after the birth of my son....just too outdone... Please excuse me while I get on this treadmill mill
BLCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:11 AM   #98
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Crazy1 - Sorry to hear you are in a funk. Doesn't help to have a curmudgeon dad to add to it. It's so hard to see our parents hang onto their comfort zones when we see better decisions they don't. Hope some baking "sweetens" your day!

Our kitten has gone from 3.3 lbs. to 4.6 in just a month! She plays hard, eats hard, and poops like a champ! They are so cute when they are young, but man, so energetic too! It's cute when all of a sudden she will crash and fall asleep, resting up for the next round. And yup, DH wanted a "retirement" kitteh but guess who's taking care of her the most and making sure she gets played with and trained? Uh huh--mom!

BLCSW - You made me LOL with that blanket statement about elders being mean! By golly, you are right though, it's rare to find one who's upbeat. Guess the worry takes over at some point and colors everything? Don't beat yourself up over weight, we are here for you. You can see our struggles too, just take each day as a new beginning and baby-step it. If you look back on each day, there are always little things you did that were positive and they add up!

Good morning, everyone! A perfect weather day on tap here, counting our blessings as it's usually chilly about now; supposed to be a warmer than usual winter too.

Visited a friend yesterday and we went to a local gardens type park for some air and a walk--so lovely! Will see if my knee tells me otherwise later today but am optimistic it'll confirm no more excuses for not doing some dedicated walking--ha!

This past week I've "de-focused" on my eating, kind of bad but kind of good to take a break from constantly thinking about it and measuring/weighing to put in my tracker. I've still been tracking, but not as tightly. My weight's been stable so that means whatever I'm doing is maintaining my weight--at least I'm not gaining!

Looks like I'm not going to make my Onederland goal for this challenge. Am not too upset as the past 2 months since I re-focused have been good for changing some old habits and increasing awareness--seeing the positive!
Old 10-21-2017, 07:18 PM   #99
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

hello friends

Crazy--I think we both have had our feelings really hurt with what our parents have done-I really try to tell myself it doesn't matter any more when the things I would have loved to have go to others, but it does hurt. the joy of taking care of elderly parents is not an easy one for sure!

BLCSW-hang in there and try to take the weight loss in increments maybe? I know when I weighed more it was easier to only think about losing 10 pounds at a time! I try to do OMAD occasionally but it seems to not last a whole day-I really would like to get there someday too..

Going2--thanks for the update on the new kitty... there are precious when little..sounds like it is growing well too! you have made a lot of progress in the last few months--you have been an inspiration to many of us here--with your mindful eating and other positive things you have learned and shared...I think it is hard to continually focus on nothing but food and tracking and planning--I found myself thinking about nothing but food but not in a good way--I felt like food had the control over me and I had no control...you have been instrumental in helping me stop that craziness and take more control once again.

had a terrible round of sciatica last night and this morning--we had planned to head to Menards and Sams today but decided I couldn't do it--then about noon it seems to let up and off we went...it was a fast trip and we also had to stop at the Chinese buffet that the DH likes---I behaved myself and realized I could do it again and not go nuts every time we visited a buffet of any kind!

we have rain coming tomorrow and next week it is supposed to really get chilly-highs in the 50s and one day of a high of 48 so I am hoping to get a couple more windows done.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend

Jeanne

ďItís in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.Ē ~Anthony Robbins

~~A Course in Miracles~~
Old 10-21-2017, 08:52 PM   #100
betterthanever
Major LCF Poster!

So, I ended my five days of only 500 calories each with no weight loss. So discouraging. I'm going to eat regular low carb this weekend. Not sure what I will do next week. Maybe completely switch it up and go high-fat? I'm off of work next week and have a lot of different commitments during the week. It will be easier to try fasting the following week when I'm back at school.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:24 AM   #101
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Quick Recovery Monday check-in: scale's holding steady as expected. Feeling motivated to get back on track tho'. What a fast week that was!

Jeanne - Glad your sciatica let up enough to run out to shop and have lunch. Good job on being sensible at the buffet--surely was a challenge with all the yumminess staring at you!

Better - Wow on the scale not budging even though you are hardly eating. Must be so frustrating. Hope it moved after you ate more like last time.

Somewhat busy week ahead, so that'll be good, keep me moving.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:04 PM   #102
betterthanever
Major LCF Poster!

No luck losing weight from last week's 500 cal/day regime. Over the weekend I was really really tired. I think I'm just going to eat regular low carb this week and give my body a break. I went out with an old friend last night whom I hadn't seen in a long time. When I tasted my diet cola and vodka, it tasted strange. Wondered if they put some special vodka in it that had carbs? I'm feeling bloated and yucky today, so it's either that or something in the dinner I ordered. I HATE EATING OUT!!

Well, low carb today. Tomorrow is a stressful day...have a difficult situation to go through. But shouldn't affect my eating. HOpefully my tummy will settle after whatever it was I ate last night.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:52 AM   #103
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Better - OMG on not losing at all, must be so frustrating! Maybe the fatigue means your "engine" is tired, hope doing LC breaks the stall. Wonder if your drink being off was just a combo of cheap stuff. Hope you get through today OK--deep breaths!

I'm actually down a hair on the scale today, so maybe being de-focused has helped a little, and 2 months of intense tracking and being [fairly] careful have set some good habits to hold me steady.

DH and I are doing lunch and a movie today, look forward to our "date." I like eating before a movie, keeps me from eating much yucky movie theater popcorn, although DH loves the stuff! It also tends to be stale for a daytime weekday show. Hope to be sensible at lunch but also enjoy non-diet food, can be careful the rest of the day to offset any "damage"--it's all about planning!

Riiighhhttt

Tonight our weather finally transitions to cooler fall temps, a reminder that we are well into the season. With only 10 weeks to go until the end of the year, so many of my 2017 goals are still unmet, darn it.

And the easiest to achieve seems to be the hardest to meet: my weight. I say easy because all I have to do is stop overeating, right? Ugh! Why is it so loaded with mind games and poor decisions, what is it about FOOD! Guess so many "rewards" are tied to eating all of our life. Once we got past having just enough for sustenance it became the happy faces of parents seeing their children eat, treats, celebrations, even being consoled with it ... no wonder it has such power! The challenge is for us to take its power away and, let's be honest here, at my age it's had a solid grip for a loooong time! Feel like entering retirement recently is a last opportunity to get control so that I won't be struggling with health issues as my body moves into the winter of my life.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:07 AM   #104
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

crazy-haven't seen you in a few days--hope things are ok and you are visiting your dads? going through your mom's things has to be difficult.

Going2--I really believe weight loss is much more than just stopping the overeating? I don't have the answer obviously... I have been really good following my plan and the weight doesn't seem to budge...but I am believing in the process of burning fat...

better-hang in there --it is all about tweaking what we need at the time?

BLCSW--how is your week going?

I am headed to Mom's today. so will check in later

Jeanne

~~A Course in Miracles~~
Old 10-24-2017, 03:40 PM   #105
Crazy1
Senior LCF Member

Hello Friends,

I am still here. Not leaving until next week. Haven't done my "practice" baking yet.........it has been raining and dough does not do well in wet weather! Maybe tomorrow or Thursday. Been sitting on the same weight for a few days so hoping that the whoosh fairy will come for a visit....to all of us!

Hard to believe we only have a week left in this challenge. Time just flies by. And though I may only be down a few pounds, I have learned many lessons.......like don't go shopping while fasting and hunger comes in waves and it will pass; I won't starve or die and gasp ....I learned how to drink black coffee! And I actually like it!

True! Staying away from artificial sweetener and cream was something I didn't think was possible but I needed to give it a go to see if that habit was hindering my weight loss. The has been inching downward so I will concede that my sweet beverage of choice may have been sabotaging me.

Best whooshes to you all.

Onward and downward!
Old 10-24-2017, 05:43 PM   #106
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

crazy-good to see you...I am impressed but not surprised you could stop the AS and cream!! I on the other hand do not even want to try to give up my creamer and AS.. If it means a slower weight loss then I guess I will just be slow! Glad the scale is rewarding you for that major sacrifice.

tomorrow is my dr. appt and then spending the day with my good friend...it has been awhile since we have been together so looking forward to the day out with her--I will check back in tomorrow night

I dropped my laptop today and the case and battery cable took the brunt of the crash--my battery cable doesn't hook into my computer on a 90 degree angle anymore--it still works but it sure is bent down...hopefully it will continue working--I am lost without my computer and I don't do well using the phone for sure..

cya tomorrow

Jeanne

~~A Course in Miracles~~
Old 10-25-2017, 09:15 PM   #107
betterthanever
Major LCF Poster!

Crazy--I've been wondering if the a.s. is stalling me...but so far, I haven't been able to kick it.
My tummy is feeling better...no change on the scale either way, so that's good. I'm just eating regular low carb this week. It's a vacation week, and it would have been hard to do anything special anyway, being at home all week. I'll start back with something Monday. Maybe alternate day fasting.

Wow, only 10 weeks til the end of the year??!! I really hoped to be back to my original weight loss before the holidays. I'll have to meditate on that for inspiration next week.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:21 PM   #108
Crazy1
Senior LCF Member

Hello Friends,

better: Glad your tummy is feeling better. Always a bummer when the doesn't cooperate. Hope you enjoy your week at home.

As for A.S., there is so much conflicting information so the only way to tell is to do a study of one.......like an elimination diet. Same with fasting; eliminating A.S. beverages, HWC, and bone broth may produce better results but we each need to figure it out for our selves. It's trial and error.

I have struggled with my weight for decades........always on a "diet", losing maybe a pound or two A MONTH! Then gaining it back and struggling to lose it again. A perpetual stall????? Or is it my set point????

I sometimes have lost 10 or 15 pounds but it would take an entire year to do it and only a month or so to pack it back on. I have been using the same on line tracker since 2002 and my weight is always the same. Oh, I admit to going up a bit when my mom passed last year but it's back down to my usual.

So my weight loss journey continues. Down a bit, up a bit, I guess it could be my set point, but normal BMI is 62 pounds lower! I haven't been successful with low carb, WW or HCG, and the only common factor is that I always have used A.S. Maybe A.S. is the reason that I have been unable to succeed. So study of one, here I come!

Jeanne: How was your doctor's appointment? And your day out? Hope all is well.

Going2: How was your date? Like you, I prefer to eat before a movie and stay away from the popcorn. Ah, life is full of transitions....weather, relationships, retirement........It's all progress!

Shout out to BLCSW! Hope all is well.

Best whooshes to you all!

Onward and downward!
Old 10-27-2017, 04:16 AM   #109
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Jeanne - Yikes on your laptop! Devices are so amazing with the way they keep us connected now that not having one seems crippling! At least it's just the cable damaged? How were your mom and dr. visits?

Crazy1 - So interesting on your AS experiment! When I went for a physical last year, I was bragging about our SF pantry and the doc was dismissive, saying that current opinion is your body treats AS hormonally like sugar. Luckily, I'm not a big sweets eater or enjoy sweetened beverages as a rule, but that sure was a bummer to hear! And true this about WL: "... take an entire year to do it and only a month or so to pack it back on." Good luck with your elimination diet!

Better - I can't imagine AS is stalling you when you literally don't eat anything for days at a time! Is your body showing WL? Think you mentioned you can see results even though the scale isn't saying so; could the scale be going bad? Hope you enjoy your vacation time and find LC eating gets things rolling again.

It's beautiful here in the Metro DC area of Northern Virginia--colors popping, leaves dropping, and now the temps are cooling. My neighborhood has a fall festival tomorrow in our adjacent park and I'll be there doing our civic assn. "treasuring," with a table set up for memberships and selling t-shirts and tote bags with our logo on them. The gig has been fun but a ton more work than I thought it would be, not sure if I want to re-up in March.

Still not tracking regularly but holding steady on weight, amazingly enough. Used DH's meter and did a blood glucose this morning; it was 107, am still in prediabetic range. Figure if I went to a doc about it I'd be told diet-and-exercise, so why bother. Had an A1C done Aug. 2016 and that was normal even though my fasting glucose was a bit high.

Besides, I'm getting lots of activity thanks to our kitten! Throwing her toy for her to fetch, dragging her around on a "carpet ride," playing with her, cleaning her litterbox twice a day, feeding her all the time ... it adds up! HAHAHA Otherwise, retirement with DH home all the time is going well. I still run out almost every day to do an errand or shop for something and he goes for morning walks, so we do get our alone time in there--ha!

Geesh, it's already the weekend! It's also the last weekend of this challenge, hope it'll be a good one for you all. Will do some reflecting on what has worked and where I can improve other areas.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #110
betterthanever
Major LCF Poster!

Even when fasting I drink tea with ACV and a.s. I am totally addicted to sweet things. I bought a Lily's chocolate bar last Friday as a treat...supposed to eat 1 small section a day, and the whole thing was gone by the next day. I think it activated my carb monster, because I'm making all kinds of lc "treats." When I added them up yesterday, I knew I'd gone way over my 20carb limit. Sheesh. Well, the good thing is I only have 2 more days of vacation, then I'm back to structure.

I am thinking I'll fast M-W-F and eat the other days. Might eat Friday dinner, too. Honestly, I just can't do plain water! I'm more likely to buy a ketone meter and pay $1 for every time I test my blood sugar or ketones than I am to eliminate a.s. That's what I would do first, to test my sensitivity to a.s., rather than eliminate it and see how well I do. I hate being that addicted to sweets, but that's the truth.

All I need is 10 lbs and I'll be back in all my own clothes! I'm already thinking about the holidays. They have caused a weight gain every year. Jason Fung's Guide to Fasting has a different philosophy: don't try to abstain from everything...just plan on fasting afterwards! At least that's how I interpreted it. I DO hate being the party pooper who won't partake wherever we are...but my addiction to carbs is so strong, I never know if that one bite will send me spiraling out of control. So I HAVE to forego as much as possible. But as he says, holidays are built around food. Maybe I should schedule one day of feasting, and then fast. I'll have to think about this. If I just went someplace and feasted there, it wouldn't be so bad. But I feel so guilty about not baking Christmas sweets for my kids... Sigh. It's rough. But honestly, if I was an alcoholic, my kids would understand about having no alcohol. Carbs are just not as clear-cut for others. well, I'm glad I still have a couple months to figure this out! I may try it out at Thanksgiving, which really IS just a one-day feast. I'll see. I looked back at my weight loss tracker, and last year I packed on 20 lbs in 2 weeks. Gag.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:15 PM   #111
Crazy1
Senior LCF Member

Hello Friends,

Oh my, it's almost Halloween! Are you healthier? Feel any better? Notice I didn't say thinner???? Numbers on the are just numbers on the , Sometimes they go down and sometimes they go up. Every body is different and we all react to foods( and plans) differently.

I would say that I definitely feel better. Oh, I still have the emotional stuff going on with my family but I do feel healthier. I am even down a few pounds. I took my measurements and only am down 1/4 inch here, a 1/2 inch there so nothing noticeable at this point but time is on my side. Progress not perfection!

Hope you are all doing well and are ready to start a new challenge. Going2 mentioned something about "no pain, no gain" for the next challenge so how about "No Pain, No Gain, Year End 2017"??? Or something else????

Time to dig out my Halloween decorations. I don't have many and DH hates clutter so I only set them out for a day or two. Already bought my treats but they have been in my car for a few weeks.....out of sight, out of mind. I only get about 50 kids but I always buy extras, you know, just in case; yeah, right; just in case really means for me. So be it, It's Halloween!
Do any of you dress up? I usually do but nothing extravagant....a witch, a gypsy or a cowgirl. How about you?

Best whooshes to you all!

Onward and downward!
Old 10-30-2017, 06:13 PM   #112
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Better - Sorry to hear about the sweets/carb struggle, that's why there are BBSs like Low Carb Friends for us. Am dreading the holiday season as well, and football season's under way adding to the misery. The alternate day fasting sounds pretty reasonable and I like Dr. Fung's common-sense approach.

Crazy1 - Love hearing you say you feel better and are seeing results in inches too--yay! We don't do much for decor, I set out a few ceramic gourds and fake autumn leaves, switch my wax melter scent. Us homebody curmudgeons do less and less every year; stopped handing out candy a few years ago too. My civic association's fall festival was cute--about 4 dozen folks, lots of littles dressed in costumes. I wore a witch hat, as close as I'll get to being in costume!

Am looking for another challenge to get through the rest of the year, so maybe something new will pop up in the next day or two. Then again, there may be a big drop-off in participation as this time of year can be hard for folks to make a loss commitment.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:21 AM   #113
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

hello friends--It has been a busy time here--I did decorate some for Halloween but it was just incase some of the grands would be here--we haven't had trick or treaters for many years--I quit buying candy --cause I would eat it myself..I went to Mom's yesterday and in the process of putting lotion on her legs and feet I found a black area on one of her heels--it is a pressure ulcer..not a good thing for sure--went and bought heel protectors and made an appointment with the wound clinic but can't get in till Thursday--it was even bigger today--this is not going to turn out well

taking the grandson next door to school all week since his dad is off traveling again--I hate driving in the dark and especially when it rains- I just have trouble with the glare and told him this morning he may have to drive if it rains--he can drive alone in January!!

going2-I am sure crazy will be setting us up again for a new challenge....hang on and hang with us again!!

I have not done well losing any weight but I also feel better and wish the weight would drop--I hope to find something that works for me for the new challenge...Just will keep keeping on--I still have the weight I gained over the holidays last year and sure can't afford to add to it!

Jeanne

~~A Course in Miracles~~

Last edited by jbatchelor; 10-31-2017 at 10:22 AM..
Old 11-01-2017, 04:48 AM   #114
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Jeanne - Sorry to hear about your mom, very scary, hope she gets it treated well. Those ulcers can be like icebergs, with you just seeing the surface of the damage underneath. At first I thought you were talking about taking a little kid to school, then you said he'll be driving in January, which kinda messed with my head a sec, hahaha. So glad to hear you say you feel better overall, well-being can't be underestimated!

Had a mega binge yesterday--an entire loaf of french bread (like the 2-foot long ones!) as multiple small sandwiches slathered with mayonnaise that at various points had ham, turkey lunch meat, brie cheese, dipped in olive oil, and finally a full-on tomato/lettuce/cheese version--all within an hour, just could not "feel full!" Usually it's preceded by stress, but there really wasn't any this time (or not overt), just a humongous carb-craving that made a poor decision at the grocery store (our home pantry is LC/SF)!

At least I didn't have an appetite the rest of the day, only ate 3 SF gummi bears and a glass of wine, so technically I've been (sorta) fasting since before 2p yesterday. It'll be a great way to start today--and a new challenge--"clean."

Stats - Since the start of this challenge Sept. 4, I went from 213.6 to a low of 205.4, am now at 208.2, and my goal was Onederland (oopsie). My high this year was 225 Aug. 15.

What I learned that works for me is tracking and planning while eating LC. Once I strayed from that and "took a break" the weight started creeping on. One challenge was having a knee injury for a solid 2 months, then having some residual issues from it hampering me from being more active.

Have learned a lot about myself this past year and the challenge threads have really helped by having an outlet to vent and journal all while receiving unconditional support from virtual friends like all of you!

As Crazy1 says, "onward and downward!"