Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-09-2017, 07:25 AM   #31
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quietnite
Stats: 278/255/165
WOE: JUDDD
I am once again trying a water/tea fast. I'm going for 24 or 36 hours this first time,but if I feel okay and it is doable, I'll go until breakfast Saturday from 7p.m. Wednesday night. I have nothing on my schedule, on break from work until Monday. I'm not wedded to this, I'll follow my body but this is my 3rd try and each time I get closer. And at the very least, I'll end up with a really low DD.

I'm at 15.5 hours right now and I'm compulsively watching Fung fasting videos on youtube.
quietnite is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2017, 12:08 PM   #32
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Happy Thursday
Doing good, just plugging along. Trying to figure out my game plan. I really want to try and extended fast but I am a bit nervous.

I read we should consume salty water too?

Srinath. Interesting. Thanks for posting that!

DiamondDeb, Thank you, I am just now starting to open my eyes about stevia and such. I did not know what your wrote.

Btterthanever, yes, you have done great. Inspiring!
Also, I saw this about the dawn phenomenon. Maybe you all ready know this
https://www.scribd.com/document/2424...gar-at-Bedtime

Missing my Stevia lol - but day 4. I want it in my hot water/splash of coffee each morning with no food! Ha but I am seeing how it goes with out it
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #33
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

I am at 20 hours on my first ever 24 hour water fast. Still going!
Old 11-09-2017, 12:22 PM   #34
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srinath_69
Stats: 238/149/138
WOE: Fibonnaci fasting, BPT atkins 20
Start Date: Jun 1, July 25, Aug 15, sept 15, Oct 12
Pink to purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Those are some nice drops, especially for after a fast.

Could the ketones have been used in the night? As far as I know (and I am no expert at all), we don't store them for quick release like glucose, so would the levels vary over the day with energy consumption? I have tested here and there, but the strips cost too much for me to monitor several times per day to know if that's normal.
You typically dont go past that second pink color on your own fat. To get to the darker purples you''d have to be on dietary fat or ironically red wine as well. I mean I am not sure if that red is the red from the vino, but I wouldn't think so. It has to be very very very dry, like I do @ home. Ferment to dryness, and do not back sweeten. Presumably other pure alcohols also do that same thing because alcohol turns up in blood as triglycerides, and that = fat.

Thanks.
Srinath.
srinath_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #35
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

I am in the 21st hour of my fast (sorry for posting so much) and I know I am not fat adapted in any way. I am FREEZING. Not a problem, I kind of like it. I am under blankets hanging out in my living room with the cat and my older son so things are kind of cozy. But wow, I'm COLD. I'm just going to hope that means something is happening and my body is doing something- using up glucose, looking for more - considering breaking into a fat store or two just to feed the furnace.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:27 PM   #36
betterthanever
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: betterthanever
Stats: 265/165...165/155
WOE: Atkins/fasting
Start Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietnite View Post
I am in the 21st hour of my fast (sorry for posting so much) and I know I am not fat adapted in any way. I am FREEZING. Not a problem, I kind of like it. I am under blankets hanging out in my living room with the cat and my older son so things are kind of cozy. But wow, I'm COLD. I'm just going to hope that means something is happening and my body is doing something- using up glucose, looking for more - considering breaking into a fat store or two just to feed the furnace.
Good for you! I ALWAYS get cold when I fast! Were you low carb or keto before this?
I take a hot bath (keeps me away from food, too!), maybe with epsom salts. I give you credit for fasting at home--it's easier for me to do it at work, where I don't really have food temptations.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:29 PM   #37
betterthanever
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath_69 View Post
You typically dont go past that second pink color on your own fat. To get to the darker purples you''d have to be on dietary fat or ironically red wine as well.

Thanks.
Srinath.
I respectfully disagree! I can get pretty dark with fasting several days. Right now I'm actually measuring with a meter, and I get pretty deep into ketosis without consuming extra fat. But, maybe it's one of those things that varies with the person. I've learned one thing: our bodies all react differently!
Old 11-10-2017, 03:39 AM   #38
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

I made it the 24 hours. UD today, I decided not to go further. I'm going to fast 24 again on Monday I think. It was pretty doable.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:21 AM   #39
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

excercise or other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthanever View Post
I respectfully disagree! I can get pretty dark with fasting several days. Right now I'm actually measuring with a meter, and I get pretty deep into ketosis without consuming extra fat. But, maybe it's one of those things that varies with the person. I've learned one thing: our bodies all react differently!
Probably right. Also it could depend on the time of day and the activity level immediately preceeding it too. Also on the amount of water consumption, I think I measured it when I was downing 2-3 gal a day.
Thanks.
Srinath.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:49 AM   #40
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all. I decided to feast yesterday which is a first for months. Today I am trying my first 24 hours. Eek.

You are all doing awesome

I have a 5K Sunday - and it will be in a fasted state. I usually power walk most of it. lol We are doing the Color Run
Old 11-10-2017, 09:05 AM   #41
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Renee View Post
Hi all. I decided to feast yesterday which is a first for months. Today I am trying my first 24 hours. Eek.

You are all doing awesome

I have a 5K Sunday - and it will be in a fasted state. I usually power walk most of it. lol We are doing the Color Run
Those color runs look like fun. I have done lots of races, but never one of those. Good luck!
Old 11-10-2017, 11:12 AM   #42
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Stevie, I just finished my first 24 hour last night. It was easier than I thought. Good luck!
Old 11-12-2017, 07:05 AM   #43
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Hi friends! Up early to get to the Color Run today - going to be fun. My knee is acting up but I will take some ibuprofen.
I did struggle with the 24 and the reason was all mental! I think looking back at my other 3 week successful 23:1 even were I ate in the late afternoon. Then that was it so I am reworking that schedule in.

Today I am looking at opening my window around 5:00 or so. See how that goes and do 1 meal and then work into the 24 hour this week.

Always trying

You all have a great Sunday!
Old 11-12-2017, 08:30 AM   #44
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

I did a 22 hour fast yesterday (was supposed to be 24 but I caved) and today I am down one pound to a new low! The big thing is I am losing very slowly, but not giving up and the addition of actual water fasting for as long as I can do (longest so far is 24 but I'm just in the warm up stage, sure I'll get better at this) has finally got the scale moving again. I can't tell you how happy I am right now.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #45
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

So happy for you too!!!! You are doing GREAT quite!

So the 5 K was a good time. Knee did ok but the hip! hahah Sucks getting old.

Heres some pix...I got permission to post online.

Last edited by Stevie Renee; 11-12-2017 at 12:38 PM..
Old 11-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #46
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Great pictures. Looks like a blast!
Old 11-12-2017, 02:04 PM   #47
betterthanever
Major LCF Poster!

Last week I fasted Sun nite to Wed morning; ate low carb Wed; fasted Wed nite to Sat noon. No weight loss. But honestly, I didn't expect any. I lost so much last week, I figured my body would be readjusting to the loss. I did low carb this weekend (I suppose staying at the same weight would actually qualify as a weight loss, since now there's the weight of food in me! We'll see tomorrow morning). I hope to go right back to fasting tomorrow; my only concern is that I have a scratchy throat--I hope I'm not coming down with something. If I am...I don't know if it would be good or bad to fast??
Old 11-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #48
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Better- you are quite experienced at fasting so I have a question. Today was an UD so I ate three meals, something I don't really do that much anymore, but I'm going back to work tomorrow and plan on fasting so I wanted to be well fed. It was all good food. But I feel stuffed right now. I haven't been doing anything longer than a 24 hour, but I was just wondering if I should be more cautious of the amount of food I'm eating on an UD?
Old 11-13-2017, 08:11 PM   #49
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all...doing really well on 23:1. Travelling Thursday and will only IF for breakfast probably. I turn 54 next week! And I hope to be feeling good in my skin.

Cannot belive the year is almost over friends!
Old 11-14-2017, 03:53 AM   #50
betterthanever
Major LCF Poster!

Quiet night, I'm not too experienced and doing this, it's only been a couple of months of Trials but I will share my own experience and research with you. I thought I had read somewhere that we were supposed to eat a full day's quantity of calories on our eating days, but I recently asked that question on a couple other fasting sites and they said that that is not necessarily true. I think it's perfectly fine to eat a full day's calories on your up days, because over time it averages out to a lower food intake over the week. But if you are eating low carb and in ketosis, then I am reading that it's okay to eat less calories on an eating day also. I have been having trouble eating 1300 calories on my eating days after fasting.

I honestly can't believe how much weight I've lost in the last few months. I haven't lost this quickly since the early days when I was a hundred pounds overweight. The combination of fasting and strict low-carb is working beautifully. At this rate I will have some losses in the bank to carry me over the holidays. I feel like it's a miracle.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:19 AM   #51
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the response, Better. I'm going to do a little experimenting to see what feels good with my body. I used to love the "stuffed" feeling, now not so much. That right there is growth
Old 11-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #52
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: Keto/IF
Start Date: HDE Jan 2015, IF Feb 2016
Stevie, quiet, better.. you are doing great! Experimenting and finding what works for you is so important in making a new healthy lifestyle. KUTGW!

I sure wish Carolyn would check back in. I really am curious about how her refeeding is going. She had planned to end her long fast 10/31. I think that made it four months!

I've not been doing longer fasts like I'd hoped. I just can't get my head in the right place for long enough. I could give a million excuses, but I know I just have to do it. I have done a couple 3 day fasts, but mostly do OMAD. However this past week or so I've only managed that a couple days. I feel stressed out about life in general and I'm not sure why.

My daughter started LC a week ago and she is doing great. She has lost 8 lbs so far. She isn't a fan of LC but she knows it works. I mentioned fasting to her, but she didn't sound interested so I left it at that. I'm sure she is IR. Are all people with fat on them IR? hmmmm

Also would love to see few others who used to post here come back and give us an update. Clackley? Deb? Rosebud? and others...

Make good choices. I choose love and good health.

"In the beginning, we make our habits. Over time, our habits make us."

Eat clean and keep moving.
And laugh a lot!
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:49 AM   #53
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Hi friends. Another good day - 23:1. I had a very calorie dense, high fat meal and that took 20 minutes. Then I waited a bit and had a low carb high fat desert. Wont say what as you are fasting. lol

As far as feeling stuffed, don't we all hate that feeling now for the most part? I notice if I do feel that way how aware I am to not feel that - like HOURS it takes. That's a bonus I think instead of just eating away.

Going for 23:1 - I start about 4:10ish....

Take good care and be super intentional with your way of eating!
Old 11-15-2017, 06:38 AM   #54
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Great blog post on IDM. It isn't about fasting, it is another in the cancer series.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:45 AM   #55
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 1/25/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Great blog post on IDM. It isn't about fasting, it is another in the cancer series.
Gina, the podcast also is up for this week "Food As a Reward". Should be really interesting! I have been loving these new podcasts now than when it was with Jimmy Moore. We can now focus and absorb the information better without the silly disruptions.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:56 AM   #56
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

I get Dr. Fung's newsletters in my email. Do you all do that too?

Another 23:1 on the books. Today is my last 23:1 as we travel tomorrow. Will get back to it when I get home.

Have a great day
Old 11-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #57
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

Even with 23:1 I find I am barely maintaining. I would ideally like to drop ~10-15lb, I am 165-170 lb now and ideally 155-150 would be awesome, or to put it in better terms, I would like to be a comfortable 32" waist instead of the 34 I am now. I was there when I got to under 145, but now I thin kI got more bone than I did then, and 145 would be sickly thin.
Anyway Dr fung's cancer articles are awesome, but he seems to be taking for ever to get to the punchline. Makes me forget what the plot is.
Thanks.
Srinath.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:19 PM   #58
betterthanever
Major LCF Poster!

Srinath--Dr. Fung says 23:1 is ok for maintenance, but does not suggest it for weight loss. I think it works for a while--certainly it is working for some! But apparently it's not suggested for weight loss. I know my body adjusts VERY quickly if I keep the same routine day after day. I have found personally (and Fung has said the same thing recently) that we need to change up what we are doing. I say I need to keep my body guessing...fast one day, eat OMAD the next, then eat 3 meals, then fast a couple days, etc. Maybe changing things up would help you.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:38 PM   #59
DiamondDeb
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 150+ lbs lost
The body adjusts to everything quickly. The best fasting schedule is one that is consistently inconsistent. I go by how I feel; no set plan - one meal most days, two sometimes, once in a while I even have three and that surprises me! I might be at 22 hours fasting one day, 24 or more another, fewer when eating more than one meal. I don’t want to eat the same way all the time. It is also much easier this way.

Get the right perspective. When Goliath came against the Israelites,
the soldiers all thought, He is so big. We can never kill him."
David looked at the same giant and thought, "He is so big. I can't miss." ~ Russell Johnston
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:43 AM   #60
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

I cant be getting anywhere near 2000 cal. I think I'll eat a good few cans of fatty fish today and quit eating a few days.
I love doing weights and HIIT, but the sprints are killing my legs a few days. Apparently those are the ultimate for weight loss in any type of excercise per my brother.
Thanks.
Srinath.