Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2017, 09:51 AM   #91
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quietnite
Stats: 278/255/165
WOE: JUDDD
Hi everybody. Haven't been able to get my act together since Thanksgiving. Haven't had a solid DD since I don't think. I am attempting a fast (w/cream tea) or a DD whichever this 24 /36 hours ends up as. I popped up 5 pounds so I'm nipping this right in the bud so I don't go into Christmas and add to that. Wish me luck, Budds!
quietnite is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2017, 08:33 AM   #92
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Cheering you on quiet!!! You got this! And yes maybe a fat fast is best for a bit. Many lose on that. ( Cream in the tea would be considered a fat fast vs clean.

Yesterdays 23:1 was a total trip. I had very little appetite. Just could barely eat. Lots of stuff going on in the family and I just could barely eat. Had some protein and water.

I did weigh and I am down another smidge. Tonight I have a date night with steak with hubby and salad maybe. May have some champagne. So I start my extended fast Weds as I am making some awesome fresh turkey broth. Yum

Do your best friends!
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:44 AM   #93
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Stevie! I did okay. Two of the 5 is gone.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #94
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

That's wonderful Quiet! Happy for you.

I had a weird couple of days - what else is new. lol - Anyway, its been high tide with emotional family stuff and usually I would EAT. Well even in my window, I m just struggling to want to eat. Last night I had some cheese and champagne with hubby. Then I couldn't eat the steak. I dropped 2 pounds since my last weigh in.

So....today I feel a lot better emotionally I guess. Its been tough ( dear adult daughter who is a real challenge). Today I am NOT fasting. I had diluted coffee with HWC and enjoyed that a lot. Later I shall a lot of high fat foods. I plan on starting an extended fast with my home made broth and see how I do - Shooting for 36, would like 48 or more. But I need to be really well fed and rested.

Hope everyone is doing well.

PS: The scale being down is great and all but I can really see it in the mirror and thats the bestest! Also, I have been very faithful clean fasting. Off the Stevia and so it really makes me wonder if that is what finally allowed the new losses. I am glad to have moved on from the sweet Stevia. I miss it some days but all in all, something for me to ponder

AND GUESS WHAT!! I got a heart scan. ZERO plaque!!! I got one in 2009 (zero)and now yesterday by one of the best places in the country ( So I was told) and I got my results in 10 minutes. What a Christmas gift!!! YEAH - I sure needed some positive news. Praise GOD.

Last edited by Stevie Renee; 12-06-2017 at 12:26 PM..
Old 12-07-2017, 08:28 AM   #95
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Happy 12-7-17.

NSV: I can take off my wedding band. That's huge for me as I get swollen joints from arthritis. So between fasting and taking turmeric paste, I think it matters.

Have a great Thursday! Fasting today and heading to the movies with hubby.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:05 AM   #96
betterthanever
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: betterthanever
Stats: 265/165...165/155
WOE: Atkins/fasting
Start Date: Feb 2014
I am SO excited! I made my Christmas goal! Really, my goal was to get a few pounds under, so that I had a little "cushion" for the season, and that is definitely still possible. But I haven't been at my official "100 lbs lost" for 18 months...so much bouncing around. :-( But I made it, and am feeling strong. Perhaps this will be my first holiday season that I don't go overboard and end up struggling for months! I attribute it to the addition of fasting to my regime. Currently I'm doing a protein-sparing modified fast, which is easy to adhere to and doesn't make me feel as weak as I would feel if I were doing a water fast for 17 days!!! but I've still lost 11 lbs in that time, so I'm really stoked!

The really amazing thing is this: on this psmf, my regime for my current stats means I'm supposed to have one free meal a week, which I don't always take, and one "refeed" a week, which includes carbs. I've really been scared about doing that--but his thought is that including carbs helps you not to have your metabolism tank. And I know from other experiments that I do feel a little better when I include some carbs...but I typically can't handle them. Last week Th/Fri I had no weight loss (and it's pretty much been daily on this psmf for the last 2 weeks). Fri night we had a Christmas dinner for my dh's work, and I had planned this to be my "refeed" time. I did have carbs at that meal...couldn't really count them, but I had 3 small pieces of bread, whatever was in the artichoke dip, and some pasta. Amazingly, I had this bowl of pasta with my meal, and I only had a few forkfuls!!! I mean, I used to completely binge on pasta! I could live on it! I don't know if it's because I've been losing, or I'm losing my cravings. Don't really care! I'm just so excited I didn't go crazy!

Stayed off the scale over the weekend, and when I weighed this morning, I had lost 3 lbs! And I'm down a pants size, to the smallest I've ever been (18 months ago), a size 10. I'm completely astounded!
Old 12-11-2017, 09:10 AM   #97
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: Keto/IF
Start Date: HDE Jan 2015, IF Feb 2016
Better, that is fantastic! Your excitement is great to see. Its so inspiring when we do something we thought we couldn't. KUTGW!

Make good choices. I choose love and good health.

"In the beginning, we make our habits. Over time, our habits make us."

Eat clean and keep moving.
And laugh a lot!
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:18 AM   #98
shirlc
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/129/128-5'4 1/2"
WOE: IF 16/8 started 10/1/17
Start Date: LCF - March, 2006
Congrats, Better

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." Eleanor Roosevelt

"You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips." Oliver Goldsmith
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:15 AM   #99
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 1/25/17
Better - Congrats! You are taking the bull by the horns and doing what works for you.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #100
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Better!!! Wahoo!!! So happy for u! A size 10 is fantastic!!! Congrats

Nothing too exciting here. Did 22:2 yesterday and will see how today goes. Maybe more, maybe less. I too was happy my size 10's fit without me spilling over. I didnt have to squeeze into it. I sure hope my low tummy however does start to go. Im sure it will eventually!

happy fasting
Old 12-12-2017, 09:53 AM   #101
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Great job, Better! All the 5 are gone and now I'm working toward a new low. Fasting at work has become very easy. I'm going to wait until after break to make any big changes or go for EF.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:34 AM   #102
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

How is everyone? I am almost done with my broth ( slow simmer for 2 days). I am looking forward to that first cup today when the tummy starts telling me to eat.

Looking to fast a lot this week till Christmas Eve as we host our family/friend party
Old 12-20-2017, 06:53 AM   #103
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
The new Dr. Fung podcast has ruined other podcasts for me.

I like how it is edited to be more like a documentary and get annoyed by the other ones that are just "yabber yabber, ummmm."
Old 12-20-2017, 08:44 AM   #104
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

I am water fasting today. Not sure how long I will go- at least until evening- perhaps until tomorrow. First time not having tea with cream, just seeing how I feel.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:43 AM   #105
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

GME. I so agree. I was trying to listen to someone new yesterday. Too many interruptions and uhhh and ummmmmm. lol Spoiled listeners! ha

Cheering you on Quiet! This is where the magic is....clean fasting. Keep busy. It helps.

I finished a 42 hour fast with broth. Had a 1 hour window via keto eating. Today I am clean fasting for 24 hours. I want to enjoy the quiet tonight and finish Christmas wrapping, etc. with a glass of wine. I am noticeably thinner today. Which is a YEAH.

I get my grand daughter tomorrow after 50 long miserable days of not seeing her so Iam so happy.

My DH is low carbing and doing great. He is 8 years younger and is a gym rat (weights only) so he has a great metabolism. He's probably down 11 so far. lol and grrrrrr within a week!!!! He feels bad telling me hahaha

Off to walk. I have been doing that a lot better again. My dog thanks me too haha

PS: So I have been making a mistake clean fasting. I don't do Diet Coke or creamer when I clean fast but I was having flavored LaCroix. Was told that the "flavor" is a no-no. So I am buying just plain ol' seltzer. I will live but ugh. hahaha
Old 12-21-2017, 06:14 AM   #106
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Stevie and Quietnite, congratulations on managing a fast, especially this time of year. I don't know about other places, but my work is full of treats and food of all kinds.

Stevie, are you following the DDD group? I recognize the term "clean fasting" from there. *My opinion* is the DDD FB group goes a little overboard. Why would "flavor" in La Croix be a problem, but coffee and tea aren't? There is certainly a lot of flavor in them. I don't care for La Croix myself, but it is 0 everything (even AS), isn't it?

I did get an app recommendation from that FB group that I like-- a fasting app called Vora. When you are done eating, you hit the button and it starts tracking your fast. Hit it again when you are ready to eat again to stop it. You can also set it to message you when x number of hours has passed. There is a little graph across the bottom that shows you last few fasts.

I have been struggling lately, so I thought thinking of a daily fast period, rather than an eating window, might help. So, instead of thinking "My window is open, eat all the things for all the hours!" I open it when I need/want to and close it when I feel like it. I find myself closing it earlier in the evening to get a "head start" on the next day's fasting. Six of one half dozen of the other, but it is helping some.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:12 AM   #107
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Good Thursday to you all.

I did a 22:2 and ate keto. Sleep was ok. Woke at 4:00 ugh.

I am going to try to fast with tea, water and broth till Saturday. I am really just not hungry and want to take advantage of that.

GME,
I so understand the office carbage around. When I worked, I used to tell all my staff and vendors the treats must go out of my eye site ( they set them right on the file cabinets in my vision! lol) and put in the kitchen. It really helped.

I like that idea of the app! I used to use Zero but lately just notated in my head. Cheering you on to finding your footing with fasting. It's not always easy.

I have the DD book and it says the natural flavors are risky. And yes, I get your question. From my limited understanding, even coffee can raise insulin to some degree. Also I have been reading more about autophagy and I really do want that when I am into it. lol So for me its an easy switch. I like Paregrinno water and Perrier too. Apple Perrier was excellent but for fasting, I shall be more clean. Even broth interrupts the fast to some degree according to Fung. But I feel ya on your question! This is how I manage to let go of stuff...I just say I can have it later and since I like the flavored waters, I do. During my window. lol

Yesterday I wore jeans all day and they are very soon headed to the back of the closet because they are baggie so YEAH. Today I will try on another tight jean I have and see how it goes. That's more important then the scale for me.

Last edited by Stevie Renee; 12-21-2017 at 08:14 AM..
Old 12-21-2017, 07:43 PM   #108
betterthanever
Major LCF Poster!

Ok, folks, we're almost there! I made it through my class Christmas party without partaking. I've had a good week, and tomorrow should be fine, too. Saturday I'll be baking with my daughters. I put it off until the last possible second, in hopes that having the stuff around less will be less of a problem. Not sure how the weekend will go. I confess I'm scared. If I had my druthers, I'd have the stuff here for Eve and Day, and then send it all off with others. But I'll have 2 kids staying here for another week, so I know some of it will be around. Plus my birthday is the 28th, and I know I'll want to have dinner with my kids, tho it will probably be lc. So, hopefully I can get right back to lc right after Christmas. Here's hoping.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:55 AM   #109
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

I listened to the kidney disease episode of the podcast yesterday while I took a long walk. Dr. Fung is really good with analogies, isn't he?

I always heard the argument against low carb that "all that protein will damage the kidneys" but never really believed it. Somewhere along the line I heard protein is only bad if you already have kidney disease, and figured that sounded OK, and since I don't have kidney problems, I never thought about it. I knew kidneys filter waste out of the blood, but not much more detail than that.

In one part of the podcast yesterday, Dr. Fung explained the kidneys work like a colander (he pronouced coll-ann-der with the accent on 'ann', is that the Canadian way?), keeping in protein because you need it while letting waste products through. Much like a kitchen colander keeps blueberries in while letting water through when you wash them. If your kitchen colander is damaged, you will start seeing blueberries in your sink. It isn't because there is anything wrong with blueberries, or that you have too many blueberries, it is just because there is something wrong with the colander. Kidneys letting protein through and it showing up in the urine is the same.

He also said kidney damage is irreversible, even if you reverse the diabetes, and it starts early in the process, even when people are just IR or "prediabetic."

Meghan said many patients ignore warnings about kidney issues until it is too late because they don't physically hurt or make a person feel bad until the damage is done.

Dr. Fung said he believes the usual recommendation of .6 to .8 grams per kilo of lean body weight is good, and if a person has a lot of fat to lose they could go even lower because they have extra connective tissue, etc bulit up as structure for the heavy weight.

It was an interesting episode and worth listening to, even if you don't have kidney issues.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:49 AM   #110
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate!

The best gift was getting my grand daughter for 3 nights!

Better, love it. U will get back to it after...we will cheer you on! I think you will surprise yourself and manage well! Happy early birthday!!!

GMA, I need to listen to it. My mom is very ill with a list of issues and now she has her blood tests telling her kidneys are problematic. I will listen next week,

Hey!! Come see the photos...I started a journal.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...4#post17694414
Old 12-25-2017, 08:00 AM   #111
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Merry Christmas....fasting till one hour window then back to it. I think I have a sore throat coming and fasting will help I was reading to get better.

Onward!

23:1 today
Old 12-27-2017, 03:58 PM   #112
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Hi fasters.
I am doing a 23:1 today. I have not been very stirct these last couple of days. One I was sick and forget it. I just couldn't. One of the meds gave me the munchies. And two, my poor mamma ended up in ER with a brain blood issue. That was at noon Christmas. She is still very ill in the hospital. But today I feel better and I visited her and she didn't stroke! So I am back at it. Just had a very fatty keto type meal and now a Chai tea.

Hope u all are well!

PS: So my mom is delerious a bit from the pain and out of no where she says " You are losing weight" as if I didnt know. It was so funny. Im like "yes mama, I am trying to". It was so random.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:42 AM   #113
shirlc
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/129/128-5'4 1/2"
WOE: IF 16/8 started 10/1/17
Start Date: LCF - March, 2006
Prayers for your mama, Stevie Renee

Glad you are better!

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do." Eleanor Roosevelt

"You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips." Oliver Goldsmith
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #114
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Aww thanks Shirlc. I appreciate it. Going to be a long road ahead but thank GOD she didn't stroke.

Fasting yesterday was HARD because of this cold meds. So I will play around and see how I do with 18:6. Not going to force anything. But will eat 20 carbs or less.

Hope more fasters pop in
Old 12-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #115
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Hope your mom is better Stevie Renee.

I am currently at my mom's for a few days. Whew, the food! I am just trying not to go overboard and keep a 14 or so hour fast.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #116
betterthanever
Major LCF Poster!

So, the carbage eating began Sat night, after baking all the holiday sweets. Continued through yesterday. I kept trying to reel it in, and failed to different degrees each day. Tried fasting, and could only manage about half a day.

Well, I thought a lot about things last night. Decided I was sick and tired of feeling awful, both physically (my body is NOT used to all that sugar!!) and emotionally (feeling like a weak failure, not staying away from the sugar). So, I decided I would be NICE to myself today for my bday and stay on plan! And, I did it! I feel SO much better, all the way around! I'm amazed that I'm able to choose this--to choose not to eat the carbage because I WANT to be good to myself and my body! Pretty amazing.

So, I didn't yet pick out what restaurant we're going to tomorrow for my bday celebration. If I was still eating carbage, it would be Italian or a great pizza place. But now, we'll need to head for steak or burgers. My family doesn't care, they'll do whatever I ask. DH doesn't understand, but he'll support my decision. He still wonders, "Don't you want to go off plan just for this?" but he's more accepting of my "odd" choices now that I've been doing this for as long as I have.

Part of me wants to get back to the routine of school, so my eating will be easier. But I know I also need the rest. So I'm trying to think of other things I can do to be "kind" to myself for the next 5 days, so I can feel rested and rejuvenated when I go back to teaching. And I'll follow today's plan, of eating as much lc as I want, so I stay on plan (I was trying to not eat, but then I kept slipping. This is working better). I'll leave the fasting to when I get back to school. It's much easier for me to do when I'm working.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:46 AM   #117
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Happy Birthday!
Old 12-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #118
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Happy birthday! Well whatever you chose, enjoy!

GME, lol, moms and food. hahaha My mom is still pretty sick. THis will be a long road. But she didnt stroke and she is a fighter. Even the doc said that. She is determnned to get on.

I did a good fast inspite of this cold. I had a very keto meal and today I shall strive again.

Onward!
Old 12-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #119
betterthanever
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Stevie and Gina!
Stevie--good thoughts to your mom. And that's amazing that you are fasting while dealing with this stress! I'd say both of you are fighters!

Ugh. 4 days of carbage and I'm up 13 lbs. Can't zip my jeans. Grrr. Did lc yesterday, and I'm on track today. Know I'm serving Christmas remnant carbage to my kids tonight--last time we're all together for the holidays. Will be sure to eat protein beforehand so I'm not tempted. I know it will take 3-5 days of being low carb to even start the water loss part of the weight loss. Well, suck it up, buttercup! YOU chose to eat that way, you gotta suffer the consequences. So get off the pity pot! The best thing I can do for myself now is not to dwell on the past (although I want to thoroughly place it in my memory bank for next time!), and say, "you did what you could. If it's not enough, then figure out what you will do differently next time. But for now, take it day by day and eat the right way. It will take some time, but the weight WILL come off if you stay the course." Got to fight the fight right now, and remind myself that every bite matters! In a few days it will get easier IF I DO THE RIGHT THING TODAY!

So glad I stayed lc yesterday for my bday. Still suffering the physical after effects, but at least I'm not beating myself up for what I'm doing now. Eating whatever I need to that is lc today so I stay away from the carbage. Tonight it all gets packed up--dd who will be here for a couple more days can hide it for me and take it with her when she goes back to college. After a few days of lc, I'll consider fasting. DH wants to lose weight as of Jan 1. Once he said he'd do lc. Now I'm just hearing he is "dieting," so we'll see.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:51 AM   #120
Stevie Renee
Major LCF Poster!

Better, I am glad you are not beating yourself up! And thanks for the kind words. And yep, wont be klong everyone will be back to their regualr routine and u and DH can navigate your healthy food decisions. My DH has been intentioanly LC for the most part and lost 10 rather quick. He wants to get more strict after our mini trip to Palm Springs next week. Me too! I have a game plan

Hoping today is the last day of this cold! I offered to watch grand baby tomorrow but who knows if her parents will take me up on it. Just cannot worry about these things.

Fasting plan.....eat when hungry. usually late afternoon and no snacking. Lots of water and a little bit of lemon juice from my tree to help with my cold.

Fast on peeps!