Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-28-2017, 06:41 AM   #1
nawthwoodshuntress
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 250/209/150
WOE: Diabetes Prevention Program
Start Date: 10/16/17
The Diabetes Prevention Program is saving my life

Seven weeks into this program and I've lost 18.8 lbs. I've done lots of programs, mostly counting carbs (low carb/Atkins), but I've never done a program that tracks fat grams. I can't believe how well this program works, it emphasizes a lifestyle change and slow weight loss. I do not feel deprived like I did on low carb (can't eat bread, sugar, etc. etc.). I hated it at the end because I did lose weight, but while my family is stuffing their faces with pizza, I'm eating a low carb version that was very unsatisfying. Milk? Nope, can't drink it, too many carbs. And forget about anything with sugar in it. Unfortunately, it doesn't help that artificial sweeteners give me migraines. So even low carb "goodies" were out the window. I feel great, have much more to lose, but now have finally found the way to enjoy eating and balance it all out. Is anyone doing this program? I used to believe all the crap that was strewn around about "The Government's Low Fat" idealogy, but I gotta tell you, it does work. It encourages healthy eating with the freedom to enjoy foods that were "off limits" on other programs, in moderation. No, I don't eat chips and cookies every day, but I don't miss them either. For some reason, my body has changed to craving fresh fruits and veges. Would love to hear from others who've had success with this program.
nawthwoodshuntress is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2017, 07:59 AM   #2
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I'll have to look that up.

I agree, the reduction of fat can make a big difference.
When I stopped eating fat due to my gastritis, the weight just fell off AND I didn't need to lose it.

Obviously carbs make a big difference if they are cookies and chips. There has to be some common sense.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:24 PM   #3
nawthwoodshuntress
Senior LCF Member

Another week, down another 3 lbs for a total now of 22 lbs. The reduction in fat is definitely what works, at least for me, because while on low carb, I lost 65 lbs, then stalled out at one weight for 3 years! And that weight was definitely not where I wanted to be. I was still in the "obese" category. I couldn't go any lower on carbs as I was under 10 grams every day, so it worked to a point, then it stopped. Because in all truth, what really happens is that your calorie intake will keep you at one weight level, even if you stay under 10 grams of carbs per day, the calories just balance out to keep you at one weight. Honestly, I think that when you begin a low carb program, you still reduce your calories enough to see weight loss for a time, and then your calories are at one level and it will keep your weight at that level. So you'd have to reduce your calorie intake in order to see more weight loss, and with low carb, that would probably mean you'd have to cut quite a bit of fat out as well. It is too difficult to sustain and I gave up on it. So glad I finally found a way to lose and balance everything out. No more "you can't eat this or you can't eat that". I feel free!
Old 12-04-2017, 04:40 PM   #4
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: OMAD
me too. low fat works best. Low carb kept me stuck.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #5
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
WOE: JUDDD
where can we find out more about this? like a list of foods?

I did read just a little about it but I saw no word about fat!

maybe I looked at the wrong info?
Old 12-05-2017, 06:21 AM   #6
Dottie
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: ADF mostly Paleo
All I can find is that it is (was?) a study:
https://www.niddk.nih.gov/about-nidd...s/default.aspx

https://dppos.bsc.gwu.edu/documents/...f-5b17c0212892

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/

The past is beyond your control. The future starts right now, this moment: take control!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:00 AM   #7
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/190.5/175 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawthwoodshuntress View Post
So glad I finally found a way to lose and balance everything out. No more "you can't eat this or you can't eat that". I feel free!
It seems that some are interested to know where you found this plan. I, as a diabetic, cannot eat bread or bread products such as pizza, no matter what weight loss plan I follow. It shows up on my glucose meter. I will always have a "cant eat this or can't eat that" list.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:41 AM   #8
Bracelet
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bracelet
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
where can we find out more about this? like a list of foods?
I don't believe there is a food list for this diet. From what I have read about it, half of your plate should be non-starchy veggies, a quarter should be grains and starchy foods, a quarter should be lean protein foods like chicken and fish. You are also allowed a small amount of dairy foods such as a cup of skim milk and a small amount of fruit such as an apple or half a banana. You can drink zero calorie beverages.
Bracelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:18 PM   #9
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds reasonable, but I would have to limit the starchy food to a very, very small portion.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 12-07-2017, 05:11 AM   #10
nawthwoodshuntress
Senior LCF Member

The program is a government run and funded by the CDC. They based it on the study they conducted for people with PRE-diabetes. Current people with type 2 diabetes are not allowed in the program. I am doing weekly meetings that are run by a registered nurse here in my hometown, however, if I am allowed to post a link, here is more info: https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/prevention/index.html

Or you can find it on the CDC website. There are programs run across the country and also a long list of online programs (may cost $). The program I am in is free because it is funded by our county health dept.

As far as a food list, the program has set guidelines based on your weight as to how many fat grams you are allowed. We go by fat grams, not foods in particular, but they do encourage participants to eat whole grains instead of white; vegetables are not limited in any way (for example, they don't distinguish between starchy/non starchy veges). You have to track your food intake in a book that they give you each week. I will try to answer anyone's questions if you want to know more.

Basically, they are all about making choices and balancing out your eating; focusing on portion sizes, incorporating exercise (they recommend 150 minutes per week). They do not discourage any food in particular, just have you count it in your fat gram goal for the day.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:17 AM   #11
nawthwoodshuntress
Senior LCF Member

On the CDC link I gave above, on that page if you look under #5 Find a Class Location, you should see a map and you can find an in person class or if you look to the right, you will see "Find an Online Program".
Old 12-07-2017, 05:30 AM   #12
nawthwoodshuntress
Senior LCF Member

If you do the in person classes, they provide you with a binder and each week for the first 16 weeks, you have one hour meetings where you receive a new topic of discussion that you add to your binder and the instructor goes over everything in detail, gives tips and advice, etc. You are never singled out or made to participate (this is not OA or AA). You can simply listen and learn and try to apply each week's lesson to your daily life. After 16 weeks, you go to monthly meetings for a total of a 1 year program. The goal of this program is to have you lose 7% of your body weight. I personally have already surpassed that in only 7 weeks of being on the program. This is NOT a diet!! They emphasize it is a lifestyle change. It helps you form new habits, which includes a moderate amount of exercise and helps change your eating patterns. It also addresses issues and roadblocks to success that can hamper your efforts. Really, it is a program designed to get you into healthy eating, exercising, and also addresses the obstacles we face in losing weight. Personally, I suffer from a moderate amount of depression, not enough to be clinical, but it was enough to keep me from applying myself to losing weight. Since I began the program, my whole attitude has shifted. I now value me above all else, and I am worth the effort, in fact much more than wanting to eat unhealthy. If you dive into the program with an open mind and both feet, you will see results. The very first week, I lost 6 lbs, which definitely encouraged me to keep it up. I will say that my recommended fat gram level was high, to me, so I decided to keep my fat grams lower than they recommended and that is probably why I have seen better results. As far as that goes, though, they do not discourage you from doing that. They only tell you to try not to go over your alloted fat grams each day. So if you choose to go to an even lower level, they will not discourage you.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:39 AM   #13
nawthwoodshuntress
Senior LCF Member

Another thing I just wanted to say is that in my small home town, the instructor has run 2 other classes (my class started 10-16-17) and of those other two classes, they have seen great success. The first class started last October 2016 and my instructor stated that those who stuck with the program after one year had met or exceeded the government's goal of 7% loss.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:57 AM   #14
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you for the very thorough review! It sounds like a great, healthy program and I'm glad to hear you are having such great success with it!

Dr Jason Fung
Old 12-07-2017, 06:39 AM   #15
nawthwoodshuntress
Senior LCF Member

I would like to keep everyone posted as to how I'm doing each week and I will give you all some of what I am eating to show you how I've re-adjusted my eating. First of all, I am a meat eater. I have and eat all different kinds of meats. My father raises grass fed beef, so I have that available to me. As well, I have deer meat, moose meat and pork. I buy chicken, but not fresh fish because it is pricey and I cannot afford it. I am single, and my son is grown and married, so I do not have kids to feed or a significant other to feed. It does help if you do not have this issue. I don't eat out at restaurants.

I don't eat breakfast, I've never been a breakfast eater, and I don't eat snacks, never been a snacker either. But here is an example of my typical day of eating:

Lunch: Sandwich made with thin sliced deli meat, full fat american cheese (cause I can't do low fat cheese), lettuce, tomato, and low fat mayo. Baby carrots. An apple sliced with PB2. I have gone from eating peanut butter to PB2, much lower in fat and calories. One cup of skim milk. Low fat yogurt. My sandwich is whatever bread, it doesn't matter, and I usually use either wheat bread or my favorite, Natures Own Butterbread!

Supper: 3-4 oz of meat, a small potato with low fat sour cream, vege (any kind, sometimes I have a non starchy, sometimes it is starchy, such as corn or peas), tossed salad with low fat or fat free ranch, 1 cup skim milk.

Dessert: 1/2 c. fat free frozen yogurt or 1 mini ice cream sandwich or fruit or chocolate animal crackers-16 crackers or low fat fudge bar

What's great is that I am still able to enjoy a dessert if I want to. I do not eat it every night, but I'd say I do eat a dessert 4 nights a week.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #16
nawthwoodshuntress
Senior LCF Member

So I wanted to post some of my meals to give people an idea of the variation you can have on this program. I hope it helps people maybe to see how really you have freedom of choices. I am eating this and still losing weight. My fat grams on any given day typically range from 30-40 grams. My fat gram allotment based on my current weight is 50 grams. When I started the program at 250 lbs, it was 55 grams. Your fat gram allotment goes down as your weight goes down.

Lunch today:
1 Thomas' mini bagel (before the program I would have eaten a huge bagel)
2 tbsp. fat free cream cheese (before would have been full fat plus butter)
2 medium eggs, scrambled w/1 oz. chopped ham in non stick pan (no fat)
1 clementine orange
1 Oikos Triple Zero yogurt
1 c. skim milk

So for lunch total: 12 grams fat, 552 calories (I use an online tracker to keep track of my food as well as record it all in the little book they give me).

For dinner, I will be making a low fat version of chicken parmesan, baked in the oven instead of fried, over linguine with a salad. Now that I've learned proper portion sizing, there is no worry of over eating. I'm still able to enjoy all types of food, nothing is off limits, it's just being careful on portions, and after a while, you learn what the correct size is and you just serve out that correct size.

Last edited by nawthwoodshuntress; 12-07-2017 at 11:29 AM..
Old 12-08-2017, 08:41 AM   #17
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

nawthwoodshuntress, I can see that you are able to eat a wide variety of food, and the main thing is, it's working for you. Many on this forum are not accepting of low fat, but I have seen several who had stalled, but after cutting back on fat are able to lose again. I think a main factor in the plan is the accountability. I am cheering for you, and looking forward to seeing you reach your goal!!

I live with a DH who can eat anything and never gain a lb. It is a challenge for me, for sure. I eat a late breakfast and an early supper, no lunch usually. It is the snacking and portion sizes that bite me in the butt. LOL I do not like sweets, so I would rather have a second helping of dinner than have dessert. I have a lot to learn!

Dr Jason Fung
Old 12-08-2017, 08:55 AM   #18
nawthwoodshuntress
Senior LCF Member

I too had heard nothing but bad things about a low fat diet, and thus never tried one because of it. I got stuck on the "low carb" wagon train for a lot of years, just kept trying to sustain it and then going off of it. I tried other diets, including Weight Watchers (counting points was a PITA), JUDDD which left me feeling like I was going to pass out from hunger on down days, and what I call the "no eating" diet. Basically, under 800 calories a day. I lost a lot of weight on the no eating diet, but eventually started eating again and gained it all back. I did the "One Meal a Day" plan and gained 9 lbs. in a month of doing it!! I've tried pretty much everything and always felt too restricted and ended up confused about what to eat. Always looking for a food list to follow or some such guidance on what I should be eating. It got to a point where I was going bonkers! I had to stop the yo yo dieting and for the past couple of years, I haven't done anything new, just stayed on the status quo and ate what I wanted. The only good thing about that was I was able to MAINTAIN my weight, but at 250 lbs, I felt lousy all the time. It just feels very freeing to have found a program that guides me toward a healthy lifestyle without restricting me and driving me bonkers with wondering "what the heck can I eat?"

ETA: Thank you PACarolSue, for the cheers and good wishes. I would like to keep posting on this thread of my progress (or lack thereof), and hope that people on the forums understand that a low fat lifestyle change could be what they are looking for, or maybe it's not for them, but either way I believe the program covers a lot more than just how to lose weight. It does hold you accountable to record everything you put into your mouth and you know that you have to weigh in every week, so you are kind of driven even more to make sure that scale keeps on going down.

Last edited by nawthwoodshuntress; 12-08-2017 at 08:59 AM..
Old 12-09-2017, 04:13 AM   #19
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

I understand what you were going through, because I have maintained at 200 lbs for 9 years. I try different WOEs but I blame myself because I can't stick to anything long enough to see good results. I am happy I am doing well enough that I have not had a huge gain like some do, not usually more than 4-5 lbs up or down. I find myself reading the threads, paying close attention to those who are succeeding, trying to see if what they are doing would work for me. For me, low carb means no pasta, rice, bread products or sweets. It keeps my diabetes under control, but I don't lose weight. I know that my main problems are portions and snacking. Even low carb snacks add to daily calorie counts.

I don't know how many converts you will get considering this is primarily a LCHF forum, but I plan on continuing following along with your progress. What changes I make personally remain to be seen, but I need to do something to change things. I am open minded and realize there is not only 1 way for all.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 12-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #20
nawthwoodshuntress
Senior LCF Member

Week #9 weigh in: 227 (-1 lb for the week; -23 lbs total). Although I got in over the recommended exercise (170 minutes this week), and stuck to keeping fat grams way under my allotted limit, I had a difficult time with constipation. For me, fiber does not help with that issue, rather foods with high fat content does, so I told my instructor I was going to up my fat a bit this week and add some prunes into my eating, although I doubt they will help much, we will see. I am also adding in some beans this week to see if that might help also. High fiber foods typically only add to the problem for me. She recommended drinking more water, but I told her that's all I drink aside from my skim milk for lunch and dinner. I already drink a lot of water throughout the day, I am always sipping on it, I always have a big container beside me everywhere I go.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:21 AM   #21
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Hi nawthwoodshuntress,
I’ve been following your thread with interest. I’ve changed from being a full-blown carb counter to Intuitive Eating, I still lean low-carbish, sometimes more than others. My hubs is doing more low saturated fat for health reasons. So, between the two of us, we’ve been investigating Mediterranean, Fit for Life, etc., but building the foundation on whole foods. The way you described your plan fits into a lot of the models we’ve looked at. Like you say, it’s a lifestyle change more than anything. And yes, I’m so grateful not to have “out of bounds” foods, but it is working a little against me this time of year. I have to remind myself that dark chocolate is not really a whole food.

I have an issue with constipation as well. I have to say that has improved since I’ve added more carbs though. I learned some time ago from Fat Flush, that Magnesium really helps with that. I usually take it at night.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:23 AM   #22
nawthwoodshuntress
Senior LCF Member

And so the constipation continues, ugh. Prunes, beans, added a little butter to up fat intake a bit, not helping. What kind of magnesium do you take? I see different kinds, if you could post the brand and mg amount, I'd be grateful.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #23
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
I like:
Carlson Liquid Magnesium, 250 Softgels

I think the softgels absorb better
Old 12-15-2017, 03:54 PM   #24
nawthwoodshuntress
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
I like:

Thank you! I just ordered the 100 ct bottle to try these out. If they work good, I'll order the bigger bottle next time. I'll let everyone know if they work, lol.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #25
DiamondDeb
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 150+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
I like:

Just an FYI.. If you are taking magnesium to help with constipation you do not want high quality magnesium that is absorbed well. Relieving constipation is usually a negative side effect (although, admittedly, many think of it as a positive benefit) of low quality magnesium that is not absorbed. The magnesium either passed through one’s body without being disgusted of it is destroyed by the digestive system.

If it helps with constipation you are not getting the actual health benefits from the magnesium.

Get the right perspective. When Goliath came against the Israelites,
the soldiers all thought, He is so big. We can never kill him."
David looked at the same giant and thought, "He is so big. I can't miss." ~ Russell Johnston
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:37 PM   #26
nawthwoodshuntress
Senior LCF Member

Week #10 weigh in: 224 lbs. (-3 for the week; -26 lbs total). I started taking a Phillips magnesium capsule every night, and it is somewhat helpful with the constipation. I purchased this at our local grocery store and it was all they had for constipation, so thought I would give it a try. Anxious to try the other magnesium I ordered, but it hasn't arrived yet. I got in the exact recommended exercise at 150 minutes total. My fat gram average was 34 grams/day, my calories averaged 1254/day. For the past few days, I upped my fat intake a bit and ate sausage patties at lunch and lean hamburg at supper and that may also have helped with the constipation as well. This week's lesson was on eating out at restaurants, which I don't do unless I'm traveling, which is not very often. Once a month, I typically go shopping in a town that is 75 miles away (closest Walmart and big grocery store). Usually I eat at a mom and pop style restaurant, but have now learned what are better choices for healthier eating when I do go to a restaurant. Each lesson they give is about trying to incorporate a healthier lifestyle into your everyday choices that you make. Really the lessons are designed to boost your confidence in your own choices. It seems to just come about naturally that you develop a tendency to gravitate toward treating your body better than you ever have before. You just want to make that healthy decision because you know how great you'll feel when you do. I really am loving this program!
Old 12-19-2017, 05:01 AM   #27
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Doing great! Hope you solve the constipation problem. I have never had that problem in my life. I guess I eat enough fat or it's just my nature.

You really live in the boonies. We have 2 supermarkets within 1 mile of our home, 2 Aldi's and a Walmart within 5 miles. And since we live near a turnpike exit, we have every restaurant you could imagine. I can't imagine living far from everything like that, but it must have it's benefits, too.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 12-19-2017, 05:14 AM   #28
nawthwoodshuntress
Senior LCF Member

To say I live in the boonies is an understatement. I live in a town of about 800 people on the northwest side of Maine way out in the woods and mountains, close to the Canadian border. We have one small grocery store, two gas stations, and there is not one single street light. No fast food restaurants. The closest "large town" is 75 miles south of here, where there is a Walmart, one large chain grocery store and a few fast food places. I think the population of that town is somewhere in the neighborhood of 20,000, so really not that big either. The down side to living where I do is access to health care. We only have a clinic here, and though it has an emergency room, we recently lost after hours emergency care due to funding. So if you break your leg at 1am on a Saturday, you're on your own. Most people can't imagine the isolation, and we have people come visit our area on vacation and I always hear this statement: "What a beautiful place to visit, but I can't imagine living here because there is nothing here."
Old 12-20-2017, 07:11 AM   #29
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

I really cannot imagine living the way you do.....driving 75 miles to get to Walmart. We are there a few times a week because I do most of my grocery shopping there. I just googled and found that my town has 30K+ people. It is suburbia, mailboxes at the curb, no sidewalks, etc. Before moving here 37 years ago I lived in the city where we could walk to everything, so I cannot begin to relate to your situation.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 01-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #30
nawthwoodshuntress
Senior LCF Member

So it's been a while since I last posted. Had a lot going on lately, so haven't had the chance. I've been having severe back problems (I have had this now for over 10 years, had surgery once already). Anyhow, this has complicated my ability to exercise, and so my weigh in at the meeting last night showed only a 0.2 lb loss for the last 2 weeks. Total lost is 30 lbs so far, so I'm not complaining. Still having issues with constipation as well. Seems like I go for a while normal, then back to that issue once more. I have noticed that upping fat intake greatly reduces the chances of having this issue, but also stalls out my weight loss. The magnesium supplement that was suggested in an earlier post is what I have been taking, though I do not really know if it is helping, as the issue seems to come and go, typically with eating higher fat days, it will go; whereas lower fat days it reappears. I am considering next shopping trip to buy the liquid Milk of Magnesia, as this was recommended to my mother by her doctor for constipation. Anyhow, wanted to keep everyone updated on my progress so far. I am very happy with this program, and as some of my other class members mentioned last night, it is the easiest program we've ever done. It really does address so much more than how to eat.