Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > South Beach Diet
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 01-10-2018, 07:52 AM   #1
wiz
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wiz
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/2/2008
2018 South Beach Diet Check-in!!

Hello all!! Happy 2018!!

Let's use this thread for talking about our progress, meal ideas, and general questions about SBD.

!!
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
wiz
Major LCF Poster!

Oh boy! 2018 did not start out well for me...I had the flu and was down for the count. And I am still not feeling 100%. Thus I really did not start back up on SBD yet. It's hard to stick on SBD Phase 1 when all you crave is chicken noodle soup

Next Monday is the new start date! Although the good news is I didn't have any alcohol because I was so miserably ill

How is everyone else doing??
Old 01-11-2018, 02:41 AM   #3
buckhuntress
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buckhuntress
Start Date: 1/2005
Crunch time til my wedding now, less than 3 months!

Sadly my menu today is careless, I need to go food shopping bad so there isnt much left on hand:

Cottage cheese with blueberries

Clementines, scoop of peanut butter on the side

Protein shake

Fiance is supposed to make roasted chicken with broccoli and cauliflower while Im at work for dinner

Yoga class with my daughter tonight
buckhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:06 AM   #4
buckhuntress
Senior LCF Member

Trying to be better with menu prep and planning. making 2 big pots of soup today to have on hand for the week (skinny vegetable and 7 can) a large salad, and hopefully fill in other meals with good choices from there.

Yoga class again this morning, 3rd class in 4 days.

How is everyone else doing?
Old 01-16-2018, 06:43 AM   #5
wiz
Major LCF Poster!

Still not quite as healthy as I would like to be . I have a nagging cough and runny nose (yeah, TMI ) It is hard to eat on plan when not feeling well. My taste buds are just not craving salads, etc.

Buckhuntress, so excited for you! I can't believe your wedding date is getting so close now.

I just found out my HS reunion is in October. Plenty of time for me to get my act in gear and shed some unwanted lbs.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:24 PM   #6
buckhuntress
Senior LCF Member

I'm a nurse wiz lol, you can share your symptoms with me anytime lol

No exercise today, hoping to stretch out a bit on my total gym tomorrow

my menu from today:

B Broccoli and swiss crustless quiche

S cottage cheese and blueberries

Got hungry again around 11AM, ate a scoop of PB

L cabbage soup (homemade, lots of veggies, OP) and a chicken breast sandwich on HF round flat bread thing...with mayo, lettuce and tomato

S spaghetti squash with homemade sauce and meatball

and now after a bad day at work I am sipping a glass of wine (we can call this phase 1.5?) lol
Old 01-27-2018, 03:10 PM   #7
buckhuntress
Senior LCF Member

UGH! I'm gaining, up 3 lbs. I think I am eating too many nuts and HF carbs

I think a very strict phase 1 for 2 full weeks is what I need to do....

Anyone checking in? How is everyone doing?
Old 02-03-2018, 04:16 PM   #8
buckhuntress
Senior LCF Member

up 6 pounds!
Old 02-04-2018, 05:28 AM   #9
lcs51
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lcs51
Stats: 165.4/165.4/145.0
Start Date: February 1 2017
I'm on day 4 of the meal delivery plan. Anyone else using this? I've done LC before (usually Atkins), but needed a change. So far, I'm liking the structure, but looking forward to having a few less shakes and bars!
lcs51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:42 AM   #10
buckhuntress
Senior LCF Member

hi lcs51! I have never used the meal service before, it looked expensive to me. Although the thought of all the meal planning done for me is appealing. Are you enjoying the food?

It's all about planning and meal prepping for me. Today will be a struggle until I come home from work tonight and get some food prepared.

B scrambled eggs with a slice of cheese

S yogurt with blueberries

L tuna salad on HF hamburger bun

Hoping to make quesadillas tonight on HF tortilla's. Too much carbs today and I'm hoping to prep for more of a phase 1 for the rest of the week to jump start some weight loss again
Old 02-10-2018, 03:23 AM   #11
buckhuntress
Senior LCF Member

wiz How are you doing? Hope all is well!
Old 02-15-2018, 02:00 PM   #12
Daath
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Daath
Hi everyone

I'm new to the diet and liking it so far. Mostly because I know that phase 1 is for two weeks only and then many more food options are introduced. My books are coming next week; hence I rely on online information which extensively differs from website to website. Having said that, I would like to hear few words on my food diary, three days so far, from you and see if I'm getting it right.

MONDAY
16:15 LUNCH: 2 large eggs + Philadelphia light 1oz + 4-5 cups cooked and raw veggies + Pro-active light margarine 1oz
20:00 DINNER: canned Sardines 90g + Total yoghurt 2% 4oz + 4 cups cooked veggies + Olive oil 1TBSP + Mayo light 1TBSP + Green olives 15

TUESDAY
15:30 LUNCH: 3 large eggs + Philadelphia light 1oz + 2 cups raw veggies + Olive oil 1TBSP + Mayo light 1TBSP
17:30 SNACK: Low fat cottage cheese 200g
20:00 DINNER: canned Sardines 90g + Total yoghurt 2% 100g + 3 cups cooked veggies + Olive oil 1TBSP + Mayo light 1TBSP
00:30 SNACK: Low fat cottage cheese 225g

WEDNESDAY
precisely same as Tuesday.

Please let me know what you think?
Daath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:50 PM   #13
wiz
Major LCF Poster!

Oh boy, just finished up an absolutely nuts couple of weeks of business travel and in the middle of it, my Eagles won the Superbowl! As a season ticketholder, I went to all of the playoff games, etc. But in between, I was in LA, Pittsburgh, San Antonio, NYC. I am tired!

Buckhuntress, sorry about the gain...that stinks. I got on the scale Monday for the first time in a long time (head held down in shame) and it wasn't pretty. But I've had a good week at home and already saw 4 lbs come off in a couple of days. Which just goes to show you how much eating out (even though it is for work!) hurts you. Hidden sodium, sugar, fat are all over the place.

Daath!! SBD is a great way to lose weight and maintain it - if you follow it! Don't be like me - lose a lot of weight, then decide you can start eating what you want. Believe me, it doesn't work!

Here's what I will say about your menu, it looks pretty cheese, dairy and fats (mayo, olive oil) centric. If you are losing, then great. But if you hit a plateau, I would re-evaluate all of that.

FYI. I am doing low carb (Keto) for a couple of weeks, not SBD. I needed to kickstart my weight loss efforts.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:08 AM   #14
wiz
Major LCF Poster!

As mentioned, not doing SBD right now. I just did week 1 of Keto and lost just over 5 lbs. It is very counter-intuitive to SBD or WW, for example. But I really felt like I needed to do something very different to jumpstart my weight loss. We will see if it keeps going or not.

My goal is to drop 15 lbs or so, then use SBD as my maintenance plan.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:28 AM   #15
wiz
Major LCF Poster!

7 lbs down, on day 7! Halfway to my mini goal of 15 lbs. So I plan to stick to low carb for a while. I miss the variety of foods on SBD, but I really needed to do something different to shake up my metabolism a bit.

Hope the rest of you are doing well.

Buckhuntress, how many days until the wedding??
Old 03-04-2018, 03:56 PM   #16
buckhuntress
Senior LCF Member

34 days wiz! And I've hit such a plateau. I'm not sure if it's stress or what

Sounds like you have a good jump start on your new plan, what are your menus like?
Old 03-08-2018, 07:08 AM   #17
wiz
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntress View Post
34 days wiz! And I've hit such a plateau. I'm not sure if it's stress or what

Sounds like you have a good jump start on your new plan, what are your menus like?
I've been doing a lot of reading on stress, it is one of the leading causes of "plateauing." Stress really screws up your body health in so many ways.

But, heck, what's a wedding without a bit of stress??

I had a stall (okay, gain!) earlier this week. I am learning what works on this plan and what doesn't. So keto is very anti SBD in that "fats" are a good thing, within reason. Basically good fats (i.e EVOO, real butter, etc. ) fill you up and keep you from getting cravings. I don't think keto is something I can do forever, but we are thinking that we will use SBD principles as our Maintenance plan.

My meals are somewhat similar to SBD but lower in carbs, higher in fats. Mornings I eat my usual egg, veggie, cheese cups or crustless quiche. I eat a salad with protein, EVOO, vinegar at lunch. And for dinners I eat a protein, veggie. But the biggest differences are that I have pretty much eliminated snacking (I am actually not hungry in between meals most days), upped my fats (adding butter to my veggies at dinner or roasting my asparagus in EVOO, for example.)

But here's the thing, on keto they want you to maintain a calorie ratio (called macros) of approx. 60% fat, 30% protein, 10% carbs. I have been really good about logging all the foods I am eating on-line. And here's what I have found out - I was eating WAY too many calories on SBD. No wonder I gained weight, I was definitely "snacking" too much and my portions were way too big.

Now, I don't really count on weekends (too much going on), but I have become really cognizant of portion size and how many calories/carbs/fats etc. are in a "portion."

I am down 8+ lbs in 16 days. That's pretty good for me, I am a slow loser. Much of that was water weight in the beginning but I can tell I am losing "real" weight now. We'll see! I have a LOT of travel coming up, so that will be the real test.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #18
buckhuntress
Senior LCF Member

Interesting diet wiz!

A few years back I tried Weight watchers, they had a group at work. Similar to you wiz, I realized I was eating way too many calories and needing to watch snacking and portion size. I think since I got my braces off I've been eating too many nuts and I know too many carbs even though HF

Any advice to beat a stress plateau? Dress fitting tomorrow....Oh how I wish I was just 5 lbs lighter.....
Old 03-09-2018, 01:20 AM   #19
wiz
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Interesting diet wiz!

A few years back I tried Weight watchers, they had a group at work. Similar to you wiz, I realized I was eating way too many calories and needing to watch snacking and portion size. I think since I got my braces off I've been eating too many nuts and I know too many carbs even though HF

Any advice to beat a stress plateau? Dress fitting tomorrow....Oh how I wish I was just 5 lbs lighter.....
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...ateau#section6

Some of the things listed in this column are just common sense, but others are good reminders - as I was saying, logging my food has been an eye opener.

In terms of stress, have you tried yoga? Or some form of relaxation/meditation technique? (this is coming from a person who woke up at 4 AM to prep for a call with customers in Hong Kong at 5 AM...so I really not very good at relaxing myself!)

Best of luck with the dress fitting, I am sure you will look stunning!!
Old 03-09-2018, 05:18 PM   #20
buckhuntress
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the article wiz!

And yes, I do try to fit in yoga. I take one class per week and I try to do it at home most days. Been slacking this past week though

Gotta get in the grove for some good meal planning and prepping
Old 03-12-2018, 02:21 AM   #21
buckhuntress
Senior LCF Member

Is anyone else sick of winter? Geez, mother nature is not being kind to us in the Boston area! Getting ready for yet another late winter blizzard....

Diet hasn't been good, I just can't focus. I'm blaming wedding stress! My family surprised me with a little shower yesterday complete with wrap sandwiches, pasta salad, cake, sangria. I indulged in it all! LOL
Old 03-22-2018, 01:38 PM   #22
wiz
Major LCF Poster!

I had a little taste of Spring, I was in Scottsdale, AZ with my college friends for a long weekend. It was hard to come back to all this snow.

I gained 3 lbs over the 5 days away but 2.5 lbs are off since I got home. I hope to wake up tomorrow and be back to square zero, which is down 9 lbs. since I started on Feb. 20th. Not stellar, but okay.

Buckhuntress, can't wait to hear about the wedding!!
Old 03-26-2018, 07:35 AM   #23
wiz
Major LCF Poster!

Lost another lb over the weekend, finally down 10 lbs!!

Out in Irvine CA for business, but so far I have kept OP.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:35 PM   #24
buckhuntress
Senior LCF Member

that's awesome wiz! 10 lbs is always exciting!

I don't think my body wants to let me lose this weight for the wedding, and I can't stay focused. 12 days to go! Trying SO hard to do a strict phase one...but then I had a glass of wine tonight to unwind a bit lol
Old 03-30-2018, 06:14 AM   #25
wiz
Major LCF Poster!

Buckhuntress, Yes, I was happy to hit that 10 lb mark, but I keep bouncing around that number. Up a little, down a little. I need a whoooosh

So April 7th, right? I will be in London for work that day and will be thinking of you. I hope your day is absolutely perfect!!
Old 04-04-2018, 05:50 AM   #26
buckhuntress
Senior LCF Member

Yes wiz, April 7th, a few more days! Thank you so much for your well wishes!

My weight is what it is, Can't really focus on a diet right now, just trying to make the best choices and watch portion control.

Will check back in after the big day when things quiet down and I'm hopefully back on track to get ready for summer!

Have fun in London! I envy all the travel you get to do!
Old 04-13-2018, 02:34 AM   #27
buckhuntress
Senior LCF Member

wedding is over, honeymoon is over, up 4.5 lbs.....back to work and back to better eating! lol
Old 05-04-2018, 08:25 AM   #28
wiz
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
wedding is over, honeymoon is over, up 4.5 lbs.....back to work and back to better eating! lol
Congratulations!! So happy for you. Where did you go on your honeymoon?

FYI. I was in London and Rome for work, home for 24 hours and then left for a 2-week Key West vacation. I am back in NJ and weighed in - up 2.5 lbs. Actually I am not that upset about it, I had a lot of fun gaining it

Back on my plan this week!!