Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 12-08-2017, 05:32 AM   #61
p0rtia
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: p0rtia
Stats: 5'7" 307/175/150-160
WOE: ex-Atkins; low cal/low carb + 4:3 JUDDD
Start Date: May 22, 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post

I loathe this uptick in body fat but I also know that the way to deal with it is by loosening my method because my approach can not be to eat less food. I need to grit my teeth and see whether improving the vitamin D status and my sleep will make it easier for me to manage my day to day and then re-examine my body composition and weight. I regard this as sensible rather than giving-in.
Really glad to hear this, Slow. I've been following your approach to reversing the phantom uptick closely, and am relieved but not a bit surprised at your recognition that the answer is not to Eat Less. And I say that as someone who regularly uses Eating Less as a tool for WLM.

Once again these lessons from those in maintenance are just freaking invaluable. I look forward to the day when you find the key and share it with us.

And I could write a thick tome on who the expression "giving in" has been weaponized and used to cause great emotional destruction, so extra karma points for you today!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2017, 05:34 AM   #62
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/113/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
I thought that I'd put this separately but I'd no sooner come to the above decision than I fell across a beautifully-written article about auto-immunity in:

The New Yorker

Title: What’s Wrong with Me?
I had an autoimmune disease. Then the disease had me.

Author: Meghan O’Rourke

As you know, I'm struggling with an auto-immune arthritis but I thought the piece was on-point about auto-immunity.
Quote:
A common symptom of autoimmune diseases is debilitating fatigue. Complaining of fatigue sounds like moral weakness; in New York City, tired is normal. But autoimmune fatigue is different from a sleep-deprived person’s exhaustion. The worst part of my fatigue, the one I couldn’t explain to anyone—I knew I’d seem crazy—was the loss of an intact sense of self.
It wasn’t just...the “loss of self” that sociologists talk about in connection with chronic illness, where everything you know about yourself disappears, and you have to build a different life. It was that I no longer had the sense that I was a distinct person. Taking the subway to N.Y.U., where I taught, I felt like a mechanism that moved arduously through the world, simply trying to complete its tasks.
Reading this piece highlighted for me that I have to remember that I'm not just dealing with a single issue - it won't profit me to hack my way to a specific scale weight or body composition if I fail to respect the auto-immune complexities that demand careful circumnavigation.

I recommend the piece even if you don't have auto-immune issues just because it's so beautifully written.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:16 AM   #63
vanilla_latte
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: Which time?
Tara, so very sorry about your beloved furbaby. It's so hard to have to say goodbye.

December Goals:
-Sticking to mainly low carb.
-Sticking as best I can to my M/W/F DD schedule.
-Sticking to the belief that despite any changes in the scale or lack of other NSV's there has got to be some other good things going on inside!

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:50 AM   #64
erinisme
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinisme
Stats: 183/177/140
WOE: ADF
Start Date: 11/28/17
Had a good UP. I ate lots of little things. LOL. But I am SO HUNGRY. It's only 10:47am and my stomach has been growling awhile. So annoying. Determined to keep the rotations. Tomorrow I will spend all day with daughter at a dress rehearsal and 2 performances of the Nutcracker. So I want to be able to snack, or swing by Fast Food place to eat, If i have to. Got great new on the scale, after TOM water weight left.
DDs seem to be getting harder, not easier!
erinisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:40 AM   #65
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/126.8/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
DH is away on a business trip next week and I was wondering if I might implement a hack of some sort with him gone. However, I've decided to stick with my current strategy of improving the vitamin D status and my sleep.

I loathe this uptick in body fat but I also know that the way to deal with it is by loosening my method because my approach can not be to eat less food. I need to grit my teeth and see whether improving the vitamin D status and my sleep will make it easier for me to manage my day to day and then re-examine my body composition and weight. I regard this as sensible rather than giving-in.
I'll be super excited to hear if anything helps you improve your sleep. Restful sleep seems to constantly elude me. An enigma of sorts. I find the fact that I might sleep through the night on a semi-regular basis similar to the idea that I might pass a rainbow unicorn on my lunchtime walk.

I have been in the very same position where eating less was not even a relatively health plan, yet my weight was inching above where I liked. I still have not found any way to sort that than eating less... Being more active seems like the next best approach, but I'm also pretty active considering I have a desk job a decent commute.

Quote:
I thought that I'd put this separately but I'd no sooner come to the above decision than I fell across a beautifully-written article about auto-immunity in:

The New Yorker

Title: What’s Wrong with Me?
I had an autoimmune disease. Then the disease had me.

Author: Meghan O’Rourke

As you know, I'm struggling with an auto-immune arthritis but I thought the piece was on-point about auto-immunity.Reading this piece highlighted for me that I have to remember that I'm not just dealing with a single issue - it won't profit me to hack my way to a specific scale weight or body composition if I fail to respect the auto-immune complexities that demand careful circumnavigation.

I recommend the piece even if you don't have auto-immune issues just because it's so beautifully written.
I will try to look this up after my walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinisme View Post
Had a good UP. I ate lots of little things. LOL. But I am SO HUNGRY. It's only 10:47am and my stomach has been growling awhile. So annoying. Determined to keep the rotations. Tomorrow I will spend all day with daughter at a dress rehearsal and 2 performances of the Nutcracker. So I want to be able to snack, or swing by Fast Food place to eat, If i have to. Got great new on the scale, after TOM water weight left.
DDs seem to be getting harder, not easier!
Some DDs are just harder than others. If I get busy/ active it usually helps quite a lot.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:02 AM   #66
Kissa

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
Slow, you are so plucky. I admire you determination to get a fix on this. Did you manage to get you Vitamin D tested? I am very keen to get DD1 tested, she is now 'post depression' we hope, though still on one drug. As the winter draws in I feel she is almost certainly very low on Vit D.

Erin well done on the loss, DDs do vary, keep drinking water!

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:28 PM   #67
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Did you manage to get you Vitamin D tested? I am very keen to get DD1 tested, she is now 'post depression
Yes, I'm consistently in the severe deficiency category, Kissa (in UK units, this means that I'm <20mmol/L and in US units, <8ug/L). I have a lot of trouble with vitamin D supplementation so I wouldn't even think of taking a supplement of it without testing.

In the UK, if your DD1's GP won't authorise a test (and I know that some CCGs won't) then there's an NHS hospital in the Midlands that will run an online test for £28 or thereabouts.

vitamindtest dot org dot uk

or

the same service is offered via these people who also send along a vitamin D spray that is titred to the supplement need that the result shows (if necessary):

betteryou dot com

However, given DD1's history, I'd be taken aback if the GP refused unless the CCG has pretty much refused GPs permission to authorise the test in primary care (and this varies from one area to another).

Mar. 2017 Rehabbing a foot and concussion. I currently have a lot of physiotherapy. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:12 PM   #68
Kissa

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
Thank you so much for this info Slow. Where would we be without you?

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #69
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Snow is interfering with internet connection It's embarrassing that predictable seasonal weather can cause such disruption.

Hope you're all well.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:24 AM   #70
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

There are train delays in the UK because of the snow. By the time I got to work I was miserably cold and my bones hurt so I remarked in passing to someone: "I'm starved with the cold and frozen to my marrow". Confusion ensued.

Unsurprisingly perhaps, this isn't that common an expression now, or certainly not in the South of England (unlike the North which is where I was brought up). For anyone else who doesn't know this expression:
Quote:
the usage comes from a very old sense of the word. Starve is descended from the Old English word steorfan, meaning die – without implicit reference to the means of death – which came from the hypothesized Proto-Indo-European root *ster, meaning stiff or rigid. Ireland and a few other places have preserved this meaning of starve in colloquial expressions.
The above is taken from

macmilliandictionaryblog com

and the post title is: Starved with the cold

So, not an excuse to eat high-density caloric foods but an expression with some history.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #71
p0rtia
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: p0rtia
Stats: 5'7" 307/175/150-160
WOE: ex-Atkins; low cal/low carb + 4:3 JUDDD
Start Date: May 22, 2015
Slowsure - As a fan of Old English, I love this sense of the word. Adds resonance to the weight management universe as well. Thanks <3
Old 12-11-2017, 12:48 PM   #72
taramisu
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: taramisu
Stats: 282/209/180
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: April 7, 2015
Thank you all for the comments regarding Mr. K. It really does mean a lot. He was the best dog in the world and I can't believe that in a few hours it will be a whole week without him. Phoenix... thank you. Please give DP lots and lots of pug hugs and snuggles for me. Bluebelle and kwerp, I appreciate the advice re: adopting again soon. My husband and I have been talking about it a lot--how soon is too soon? Right now the silence is heartbreaking and the loneliness without a dog at my feet just makes me ache. I told him that I need to start staggering my pets so I'm never left without one to pour my love into. There are a lot of factors to consider, but it's good to hear that others don't think getting another dog relatively soon is a bad idea.

I did not succeed with my JUDDD rotations this week, which is unsurprising. Trying to get back into it this week.
tara ¤

My Journal

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times—if one only remembers to turn on the light. ~ Albus Dumbledore
taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote