Old 11-12-2016, 03:53 PM   #1
nurseypoo5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 255/230/170
WOE: Low carb, Atkins, more H2O
Start Date: Restart 6/20/15
Oh Lordy do I have a dilemma. Please please read NEED advice

Ok so hubby's a mess. He has a brain tumor that's stage 2 cancer. Could live 2 years or 32 years. He also has venous stasis which with chemo caused an infection that put him in ICU. Btw if you ever need an hr trip on careflight it's 66,000$. Just FYI. Insurance paid half. They sent me a bill for 33,000$ (checks in the mail. Face plant.)

Oh he has diabetes to. He had lap band 15 years ago and nissen fundiplication which prevents sleeve and to remove may likely cause rupture. No dr will touch him. He weighs 275 at 5'8". He did weigh 305 before his month long stay in ICU.

I am 239 @ 5'7". I was 255 but put him on low carb and have lost with him. My history shows I'll gain it back. I WANT surgery and am afraid of how low I can go before they won't do surgery, but getting a head start and getting rid of my fatty liver disease will also not be horrible.

QUESTION. My insurance will pay (this is new to us as last year I almost went to Mexico!!) I have heart burn and was told most pats suffer bad heart burn after sleeve and not with bypass. I also heard bypass forces you to stay off sugar. Both pluses. But I'm fearful of bypass because of vitamin deficiencies and I take several meds a day including huge metformins for PCOS and prediabetes.

I've yoyo dieted for 30 years. High 265 low 155. I'm 52 post menopausal and losing weight is horrible. I'm totally an apple due to PCOS and carry tons in my belly. I'm tired and really just want surgery.

Do y'all recommend sleeve or bypass? Did most of your sleeves cause reflux:heartburn? Also how low can I go before insurance says Nope Sorry you can't have this surgery you're not fat enough? It said BMI 35 or lower with two Co morbidity or over 35 with one. I will always have high bp due to PCOS. Have since I was 25. Even at 155 I had high bp.

Encouragement? I'm trying to be supportive of the hubby but I'm about to sneak cake to stay fat. I feel crazy 😂

Dear Lord, if you cant make me skinny, please make all my friends fat. Amen.
nurseypoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
Wendy T
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wendy T
Stats: 252.6/170.4/145 5'6" 52 years young
WOE: VSG 6/2/14
Start Date: June 2, 2014
Nursey.... In MY experience having the sleeve, I did not experience any heartburn, and was told that that was just a possible side effect of the surgery itself, getting rid of the air that was pumped in the stomach. 2 other people in my family that have also had the sleeve did not have heartburn...and still don't.
I had same stats as you.... highest weight 252, don't know what surgery weight was, am 5'7" and am currently at 175, but still trying to lose 20 more.
I had the surgery 2 1/2 years ago.
The reason why I haven't lost this last 20 is not because of the surgery, but because of ME letting my old habits of night snacking creep back in, something I fear I will always have to battle.

I definitely recommend the sleeve.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:03 PM   #3
yogama
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: yogama
Stats: 306/186.8/150
WOE: vsg/vlc/fungfast
Start Date: 10/23/16 1st 45hr fast
Hi Nursey,
I had sleeve surgery 06/2015 and I have not suffered from heartburn, but I have heard that if you have bad heart burn and indigestion before the docs don't really recommend
the sleeve because it can make it worse and in that instance they recommend bypass.
yogama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:13 PM   #4
Maryposa

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG - Gluten and Egg Allergies
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
I'm one of the unlucky ones (1/3rd) who has severe GERD as a result of vsg (i didn't have it before). If you already have it, that's something to consider. Also the rny would put t2 diabetes in remission.

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:14 PM   #5
Maryposa

This is me talking about my acid issues

https://youtu.be/Vg9cY7aJhDM

Old 11-19-2016, 11:27 PM   #6
Maryposa

And 4 min in on this one
https://youtu.be/cJz-uflgBo8

Old 12-29-2016, 01:59 PM   #7
cmcd1070
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: 240/177/ <130
WOE: RnY 2-2011. AIP 10-2017
Start Date: WLS 2-11-2011.
First of all I'm very sorry about your DH, that is tragic. My heart goes out to you both.

I had RnY 5 years ago. Prior to that I had been on aciphex, nexium, all manner of medications for GERD along with OTC stuff like Tagamet, etc. I have never had a problem with it since my WLS.

However, bypass does not affect everyone the same. What causes some people to dump doesn't cause others to dump. I can eat sugar till the cows come home (mooo!) but I cannot eat fat anymore, or dairy.

I had severe vitamin deficiencies before WLS because my diet was mainly crap with no nutritional value. I don't currently have any vitamin deficiencies even though I don't take any of the supplements you are supposed to take. I have them sitting on my medicine shelf, just in case? I think I had a B deficiency after surgery but increasing low-fat protein resolved that.

I was not a WLS success story. I am still trying to get to my goal weight. I found ways to get around the limitations of the surgery. I was very unhealthy, mentally and physically.

SW: 198 lbs 6-1-2016
CW: 177 11-10-17
1GW: 163 Overweight BMI
2GW: 136 Normal BMI

5'2 47F ~Cynthia
cmcd1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:30 PM   #8
BonnyLass
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BonnyLass
Stats: 285/163/135
WOE: low carb/starch blockers when needed
Start Date: 73'low carb 4evr.Never fell for low fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcd1070 View Post
First of all I'm very sorry about your DH, that is tragic. My heart goes out to you both.

I had RnY 5 years ago. Prior to that I had been on aciphex, nexium, all manner of medications for GERD along with OTC stuff like Tagamet, etc. I have never had a problem with it since my WLS.

However, bypass does not affect everyone the same. What causes some people to dump doesn't cause others to dump. I can eat sugar till the cows come home (mooo!) but I cannot eat fat anymore, or dairy.

I had severe vitamin deficiencies before WLS because my diet was mainly crap with no nutritional value. I don't currently have any vitamin deficiencies even though I don't take any of the supplements you are supposed to take. I have them sitting on my medicine shelf, just in case? I think I had a B deficiency after surgery but increasing low-fat protein resolved that.

I was not a WLS success story. I am still trying to get to my goal weight. I found ways to get around the limitations of the surgery. I was very unhealthy, mentally and physically.
I had RNY in 1999 so I can give you some long term information. I am 5'4" , my pre RNY weight was 285. I had the surgery when I was 40. I lost most of my weight in the first few years. Like the above poster I had no reflux or vitamin issues, and like her, I was, and still am the healthiest I've ever been. I maintain a fairly low carb diet, I don't ever, nor did I ever force myself to eat. I take an over the counter multiple, a hair, skin and nail supplement, and in the winter I add Zinc and vit D. My current weight is 133, it has been stable for about 8 months.
BonnyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:45 PM   #9
Southerngirl2101
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Southerngirl2101
Stats: 445/242/195
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Gastric Bypass 06/15
I am so sorry about your husband, I can't imagine what you both will face in the time to come. I wanted to have the sleeve; however, my surgeon was dead set on my having bypass. I am so glad that I took her advice. I am Type 2 diabetic and came off several of my meds within the first month. I agree with other users, any weight loss surgery is very personal and very different for each person. I do not experience dumping anymore, but other foods trigger the same effect. Talk to your doctor, weigh the options (no pun intended) and decide what you think will be best for you. The surgery is a great tool given to us. It is up to us to use that tool the right way.
Southerngirl2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:59 AM   #10
skinny14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: skinny14
Stats: 220/183/140
WOE: Low carb under 20
Start Date: Two years ago..four days ago
Gastric Bypass

Hello...my daughter is having the bypass this month...I am on this journey with her. She starts liquid protein on the 11th.....surgery the 23rd. She is 100 pounds overweight and so excited about the surgery. She feels she has lost herself beneath the fat that wraps her body. I have a close friend who has had two weight loss surgeries....one lap band and one bypass....she has now regained all the lost weight twice. Why? I think food is a friend....it never judges you, is always there to comfort you...is sweet, spicy and delicious. I to have battled against my friend for 66 years....I remember every weight I have been and the way I felt at each stage. I have been on crazy diets all my life....some very unhealthy some healthy.....the bottom for me was what do I want?? Do I want to live in a body that looks slug like? I am only 5'5 so being 220 I looked like a walking fridge.....I love the water but didn't want anyone to have a major heart attack if I should try to stuff myself in a one piece swim suit...not going to happen....so I would put on long shorts....a blouse and go to the river to swim....very sad. I finally came to the truth that food was not my friend, lover or comforter. I started by counting calories one bite at a time....tracking everything that went in my mouth...the pounds started to come off...not fast but steady. I am now two years into this journey to 140 pounds.....down from 220 to 183 this morning.....I still like food but I do not have the love for it I use to have.
skinny14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:05 AM   #11
nurseypoo5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny14 View Post
Hello...my daughter is having the bypass this month...I am on this journey with her. She starts liquid protein on the 11th.....surgery the 23rd. She is 100 pounds overweight and so excited about the surgery. She feels she has lost herself beneath the fat that wraps her body. I have a close friend who has had two weight loss surgeries....one lap band and one bypass....she has now regained all the lost weight twice. Why? I think food is a friend....it never judges you, is always there to comfort you...is sweet, spicy and delicious. I to have battled against my friend for 66 years....I remember every weight I have been and the way I felt at each stage. I have been on crazy diets all my life....some very unhealthy some healthy.....the bottom for me was what do I want?? Do I want to live in a body that looks slug like? I am only 5'5 so being 220 I looked like a walking fridge.....I love the water but didn't want anyone to have a major heart attack if I should try to stuff myself in a one piece swim suit...not going to happen....so I would put on long shorts....a blouse and go to the river to swim....very sad. I finally came to the truth that food was not my friend, lover or comforter. I started by counting calories one bite at a time....tracking everything that went in my mouth...the pounds started to come off...not fast but steady. I am now two years into this journey to 140 pounds.....down from 220 to 183 this morning.....I still like food but I do not have the love for it I use to have.

Our Aetna will finally pay (tummy tucks etc no and I'll have to have some work. Maybe Mexico won't kill me). I'm soooo torn up over the sleeve vs the bypass. Isn't a sleeve the first stage of bypass if needed? Such as reflux or low weight loss they finish the sleeve with the bypass. I'm kinda confused as I'm a pediatric person lol.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:06 AM   #12
nurseypoo5
Senior LCF Member

Oh and we actually own a beach condo and I won't wear a swim suit either. How sad is that!!

Old 06-11-2017, 04:09 PM   #13
Maryposa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5 View Post
Our Aetna will finally pay (tummy tucks etc no and I'll have to have some work. Maybe Mexico won't kill me). I'm soooo torn up over the sleeve vs the bypass. Isn't a sleeve the first stage of bypass if needed? Such as reflux or low weight loss they finish the sleeve with the bypass. I'm kinda confused as I'm a pediatric person lol.
No the sleeve used to be phase one for super morbidly obese people where a DS would be too dangerous. When they revise from sleeve to rny it's different and complicated. My reflux is much better since I found out in allergic to wheat (gluten) and coffee along with egg (my only did allergy I knew of at time of surgery). But it is a known side effect of VSG.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:07 PM   #14
tina1973
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tina1973
Stats: 326/200/140
WOE: VSG/Keto
Start Date: VSG: 11/15
I have had bad GERD and as a result have Barrett's esophagus so the sleeve was a risk for me. Some Dr's won't even sleeve someone who has a history of GERD and much less with Barrett's because of the increased risk of reflux. I still take prilosec daily to protect my esophagus, so I don't know if it's worse now. However, I haven't had to go up a dose or anything. I have missed a dose here and there and didn't notice any heartburn. It varies from person to person.

I am very sorry about your husband. I'm sending him good thoughts. Cancer sucks so bad.

In regards to Mexico killing you, do your research. Join forums and talk to people who have used the Dr you consider. I was sleeved there and am still kicking.

Me, my sleeve, and I
<---my story

326 320 310 300 290 280 270 260 250 240
230 220 210 200 190 180 170 160 150 140

"In the end, we will all be judged by the courage of our hearts" Lito - Sense8
tina1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:51 PM   #15
luvs3pugs
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: luvs3pugs
:
luvs3pugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:29 AM   #16
joyful48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: joyful48
Stats: 230/160/115
WOE: atkins
I had severe Gerd before my WLS, I had the sleeve done , Dr found I had a hital hernia so the Dr . Repaired it when he did the wls. No problem since my surgery. Hope all goes well what ever choice you make.

230/ 123~ back to 168
joyful48 is offline   Reply With Quote