wvmom75
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wvmom75
Stats: 345/345/175
WOE: Low carbing
Start Date: 09/9/2017
Starting Over

Hi friends,

I hope this letter finds you all well. I have advanced RA and my Dr wants me to cut way back on my carbs. She said that by cutting my carbs to no more than 25 to 30 a day I might see a decrease in my pain and swelling around my joints. So I am going to give it a try. Any encouragement or advice you have would be greatly appreciated.
wvmom75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2017, 10:32 PM   #2
rharmelink
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rharmelink
Most people going low carb lose a lot of water weight the first week or so, which generally reduces inflammation and swelling. I've been doing a restricted calorie version of Keto (low carb, high fat) since the start of the year. So far:
  • I've lost 150+ pounds (only 250 to go).
  • I haven't used insulin this year (I was using a third of a vial daily last year).
  • My average blood glucose has dropped from 170 to 101.
  • My A1C has dropped from 7.3 to 5.4.
  • I'm not hungry all the time.

Early on, I needed to keep a food diary and track everything. My original daily goals:
  • No more than 20 net grams of carbs
  • At least 80 grams of protein
  • No more than 1200 calories

I generally ending up with nearly 30 carbs and 1400-1500 calories. No worries. That's still a huge deficit for someone my size (6'5"). The food diary did let me know I needed to cut back on some of my favorite high-fat foods -- sausage, bacon, butter, and cheese.

YMMV.
rharmelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:58 AM   #3
Gibbs
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 375/264/199 or less
WOE: Stay below 20 carbs per day
Start Date: 7/12/16 for yet another time
Welcome Anne! I have fibro and I feel way better on low carb.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:59 AM   #4
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Welcome! You will be amazed at the benefits of a ketogenic diet. Looking forward to hearing how you do!

Some of the things that keto has done for me in the first week or 2 were to alleviate chronic back pain and IBS symptoms. In the next several months, I discovered many other NSV.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:37 AM   #5
enemysugar
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: enemysugar
Stats: 278/143/160 Goal Met 8/2017
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: January 25th 2017
wvmom75!!!!

You are gonna be so happy you took the plunge. The Health Benefits alone are worth the effort and the weightless is the bonus. The group of people here are very supportive and will give you all the help and advice you need. So glad your here and ready to get started!!!
enemysugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:18 AM   #6
Neko
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neko
Stats: 195/165/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/9/2017

I'm fortunate to not worry about chronic pain and swelling at this point in my life. But I find that staying very low carb is great for my energy levels.
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #7
Lillianna
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lillianna
Stats: 213/188/150 5'6"
WOE: 25-50 carbs per day
Start Date: 1/1/2017
Welcome!

For what it's worth:

A few years ago I had pretty bad inflammation (not RA though). I had constant joint pain --the worst was in my hips. In my 40s I walked with a limp. I am virtually pain-free today at 53. I attribute this to a few things:

1. Going gluten-free. It was hard -- I was really addicted to wheat but my joints feel so much better now.
2. Vitamin D. Apparently I was deficient for years. When I started taking D my joint pain markedly improved.
3. Drastically cutting the industrial oils (soybean, corn, vegetable oils, etc.) in my diet. No more salad dressing, roasted nuts and seeds, margarine. These oils have way too many Omega 6 fatty acids which can be a major cause of inflammation.
4. Taking daily fish oil.

If you haven't tried low carb before, the first week can be really hard. Drink lots of fluids, and get plenty of salt. You'll lose a lot of water weight initially and you'll feel like you have the flu. Get some low carb Gatorade or Powerade to replenish electrolytes.

I hope you'll soon see a big improvement! Welcome aboard!
Lillianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #8
makrida
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makrida
Stats: 142/126/125
WOE: low carb/if
Start Date: 4th Jan 2011
Hi Anne ,

I too have RA but it sounds like maybe not as bad as you. Mine is well controlled with weekly methotrexate and enbrel, and daily folic acid. Its good that you have a rheumatologist that is progressive enough to realize that Low carb may help you. I hope it does
Old 09-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #9
Kimberli33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimberli33
Stats: 200 /194/155
Start Date: June 2015
Hi, I don't have any diagnosis but I have a lot of muscle and joint pain unless I eat LC. I am all but pain free on LC.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #10
battler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: battler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillianna View Post
Welcome!

For what it's worth:

A few years ago I had pretty bad inflammation (not RA though). I had constant joint pain --the worst was in my hips. In my 40s I walked with a limp. I am virtually pain-free today at 53. I attribute this to a few things:

1. Going gluten-free. It was hard -- I was really addicted to wheat but my joints feel so much better now.
2. Vitamin D. Apparently I was deficient for years. When I started taking D my joint pain markedly improved.
3. Drastically cutting the industrial oils (soybean, corn, vegetable oils, etc.) in my diet. No more salad dressing, roasted nuts and seeds, margarine. These oils have way too many Omega 6 fatty acids which can be a major cause of inflammation.
4. Taking daily fish oil.

If you haven't tried low carb before, the first week can be really hard. Drink lots of fluids, and get plenty of salt. You'll lose a lot of water weight initially and you'll feel like you have the flu. Get some low carb Gatorade or Powerade to replenish electrolytes.

I hope you'll soon see a big improvement! Welcome aboard!
I think it would be a good idea to take anti-inflammatory approach as well. Cut out dairy as well and see how you go.
battler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:51 PM   #11
Iwantlessofme
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Melting/Down 0 sizes/ alot to go!
WOE: Low-carb, no sugar
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
Hi Anne,

It is wonderful to meet you and I am glad you are here. I look forward to sharing with you. I am here re-starting for numerous reasons, but top of the list is fibro and pain. I wish you the best.

Hugs,
Mindy
Old 09-14-2017, 06:05 AM   #12
Puppy love
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Puppy love
Stats: 203/126 /126
WOE: No sugar/grains-clean eating
Start Date: October 1, 2012
Please research anti inflammatory foods and spices. I eat no form of sugar even artificial/no flour products of any kind including ones people consider low carb, no chemicals in my foods etc.... I have a lot of chronic pain and arthritis in my entire spinal cord. I no longer eat out as sugar and chemicals are put into almost everything and I can not trust what I am eating. Please look into this as some have suggested low carb is not the only thing you can do . Best wishes.
Puppy love is offline   Reply With Quote