Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2017, 06:47 AM   #61
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/130/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Phoenix- you didn't scare everyone off. It has been very quiet around here.

I know how you feel about the news. I have made a point of not watching it as much as I used to. Last weekend I watched it more because of following Irma, but since almost all the news was Irma related there was not the bombardment of all the other things.

I am so glad it's Friday!!!! Next week is a short week for me- I'm off Thursday and Friday!!! Yay!!!!

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #62
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/103/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Without being too blithe about it, London is London - and we pretty much just get on with it with a few shoulder shrugs and rolled eyes and conversations about alternate travel routes.

I can't remember if I said that my MIL's surgery is scheduled for next week (she had to recover from a cold so it was postponed a few days). I'll be flitting around but will be in contact as I need to keep on track.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:50 AM   #63
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: p0rtia
Stats: 5'7" 307/170/150-160
WOE: ex-Atkins; low cal/low carb + 4:3 JUDDD
Start Date: May 22, 2015
Hi sitah phoe! Thinking of you this afternoon--I also have the TV news permanently off. Just too much destructive stuff going on out there. Totally get what you mean about wanting to be a hermit. (In fact.... :-D)

After a month of go-go-go (Wyoming, briefly home, Florida, Irma, home, now preparing for Tuscany next week) I've sort of oozed into my comfy chair this afternoon with no desire to move At. All. Can't believe I've finally caught up with the various projects and work and trips and post-Irma clean-up-at-a-distance. But having done so, I'm just drained. Gotta recharge for Tuscany!

Okay, so I'm a traveling hermit. This summer, at least.

Been fasting all week to undo the pudge that came with last week's full-on Irma-stress. Funny thing is, the tension was so intense that I don't even remember what-all I ate. I think that's probably best. (!) Back down now to where my size 14 walking pants fit comfortably again. Weird to think I fasted the week before last too, to take off the Wyoming pudge.

So yeah, ten lb in 3-4 weeks? Ha! That's nothing. I can put on ten lb in a week, easy. Ten days at the max. Like you I become extremely mentally uncomfortable when my clothes start to get tight. The sensation taps right into my deep well of stored distress at being obese. Which makes it that much easier to get back into WLM.

I am entertaining a feeble hope of keeping my Tuscany eating down to 2000 kcals a day, but...yeah...feeble.

So what a I doing? I was thinking of heading out thrifting, as I've got to pick up a couple of Italy-suitable tops and a pair of capris, but here I sit, like a puddle of pudding. Chocolate, of course. I was out the door at 7 this AM and spend the whole morning working on a solar-related projects, so I'm thinking maybe I should try for a nap. And thrift tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow, I'm gonna try to make some low carb ice cream. I desire the stuff. Or maybe I'll find a store that sells Enlightened that's near a thrift store. Kill two birds with one tank of gas.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:56 AM   #64
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vlo1125
Stats: 263/159.2/155
WOE: Primal w/ JUDDD
Start Date: 2013
I'm here just been stressing. First because we hadn't heard anything and now because we have......they offered him the job! Great news right?! Not so fast.....they called him yesterday and told him they want to offer him the associate position at first and then in a few months they want him to be running the department with a title change and a pay increase. So remember that position he didn't get back in April? That's essentially the position they're offering him right now even though he applied for a higher position this last time and the pay is substantially less were talking 17 K less than he makes now and 10k less than he made in his last position in IL we are not sure he can take it for so little though we are very tempted because it feels like our only opportunity to go back. I don't want him to take a lower title for less pay and be miserable for it. They sent an offer letter by email that said the position and the pay and had this disclaimer: "This letter contains all of our agreements pertaining to your employment with company, and supersedes in the entirety all prior discussions and agreements, written or oral. " so how do we know they will follow thru with this whole Promoting him after a few months? It's not in the offer and was verbally said. I'm not understanding how they are going about this, is the position he applied for not really available yet? Did they pick someone else but liked him too so are offering him something else? Idk. at this point should he counter even though they told him they plan on promoting him within 2 months? Even if they do promote him how much could the raise possibly be? Sigh all these questions I'm not sure how he should ask .

he just sent an email to counter with at least 5k more so let's see how that goes if he gets it's still a pay cut but we'll manage. More than likely I will have to get a part time job to make up the difference. But that's more feasible in IL as I have friends and family who could help watch my son. We'll see , until then I will be a ball of anxiety and nerves!

I'll read thru and heck back later , gotta go pick up my DD from school!
Vlo1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:24 PM   #65
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Vlo
Old 09-15-2017, 12:41 PM   #66
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
WOE: JUDDD
Vlo - hope you get back to IL, I remember being in your shoes a few years back - living with Mom was not good! My heart goes out to you in a big way!

Take Care Dear!
Old 09-15-2017, 03:25 PM   #67
Carly

Vlo- probably not what you want to hear, but you and DH should assume that he will NOT get the promotion in 2 months. If they were serious it would have been in the letter. The fact that they put in that disclaimer speaks VOLUMES!!!! Personally, I'd question the culture and integrity of the work place/ environment. That whole thing about talking it up, but not putting in writing would make me assume that it most likely won't happen. What does DH think they are up to?

I don't know what industry he is in, but in my industry you need to go in accepting a salary that is livable, because there are absolutely no guarantees about when your salary will increase and when it does it might be only by 1-2%.

If you feel like you can make up the difference with a part time job and you guys will be happier in IL it may be worth it. Sending

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:04 PM   #68
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quietnite
Stats: 278/255/165
Hi, all. Still here. Super stressed by work and sticking to rotations. More when life evens out.
quietnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:34 AM   #69
Kissa

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
Oh Vlo, that is a tough one. Why does life have to be so complicate?

p0rtia, Tuscany, wow you threw that on in casually! Tell us more.

Phoenix, I would always go for the fun weekend option, life is short.

As Slow says, London takes these horrors on the chin, awful though they are. We are off to Devon today for 3 weeks which is good, we've not been there for some time expcept for one night for a friend's funeral. I hope to get back to my regular gym sessions, not been for a month. Weight is good, I am still maintaining at around 120 which is great.

Carly, I hope DW is okay, shingles is so nasty, and that that cold of yours clears up properly soon.

Enjoy your weekends.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:04 AM   #70
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Vio - this whole business reeks of uncertainty and it's not my impression that you can take more of a financial hit on quite such a scale.

I don't know about career structures in other industries but how much of a blow would this be to your DH's CV and make it difficult to apply for more senior roles if he has to take a salary cut and (at best) a sideways title move and the promotion doesn't come off?

I know things differ from the UK but is there no access to free/subsidised childcare that would allow you to work/study PT while in your current place? I wonder if that would help you socially (away from your in-laws) and financially (you might be better placed to afford an apartment when the right one comes up for you).
Old 09-16-2017, 03:06 AM   #71
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Kissa - when you return to London we should get-together. If I'm not mistaken, the lovely Bluebelle is due to visit the UK in October?
Old 09-17-2017, 02:48 AM   #72
Kissa

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/120/120 5'3" Age 70
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2002 Atkins 2011 JUDDD 2016 BSD/JUDDD
Yes Slow, that would be great. Sun is shining here in Devon and world is looking lovely.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Hunger is not an emergency.

It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that makes you fat, it's what you eat between New Year and Christmas.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:23 AM   #73
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

What, you've all forgotten my social schedule for the summer? Okay, I forgive you! Yes, this is the Summer of Travel. Wyoming in Aug (fabulous), Florida in early Sept (glad I went, but a stressful time), Tuscany in late Sept, and NJ for a weekend in early Oct.

As I am happiest living in a rut, this is quite a departure for me. Not to mention the first real test of my post-tipping point weight-loss management. My goal is to practice maintenance over the summer, and to be in mid-Oct where I was in mid-July.

So...Tuscany! I'm accompanying my dad's widow, who is 84 and in great shape, on a ten day Roadscholar trip, "Hidden Valleys of Tuscany." Think ancient towns and scenic valleys. Staying in Anghiari and branching out on day trips from there. Haven't been out of the country for 12 years, so I'm due.

I decided my wardrobe for Wyoming wouldn't really work in Italy, so I went thrifting yesterday looking for tops and capris. Had really good luck--got a leather jacket (for $5) and a few tops and slacks (size 14 still working for me, as long as it's either a relaxed waist or elastic). Bought a couple of size 12 for next year, case I found a yard sale that was .25 or .50 a pop for really nice stuff.

Still need to find capris and a light jacket, but other than t hat, I'm packed. Leaving Thursday.

Doing LC (<50 carbs) for the weekend, then DD Monday and Weds (also LC). Then--we're off! Was hoping the hotel would be the usual continental breakfast (which, for any foodie worth their salt is a joke), but alas, it's described as "hearty breakfast." If that's what I think it is (particularly if it's a bufftet), that hits me where I live. Unlike Wyoming, where I ate, uh, heartily at every occasion (except breakfast), I hope to try to keep a lid on it. We'll see.

Sending good thoughts to those of you posting in these days. It does seem like lots of folks are MIA, no doubt busy with life as summer turns to autumn--the busiest time of the year. I know I come here whenever things slow down enough to take a breath. So much inspiration and support, as always.

I've learned a lot about what maintenance mode might look like for me when I get there for read, which I hope to do next spring. Mostly I've learned what it might look like if I don't really think about it: a fast-moving roller coaster of festival eating and z-fasting. That's okay for the short term (needs must when the devil drives), but, yeah, I don't want to live this way.

Fortunately, I don't normally travel so much. So I will work on developing a plan for when I get back to my rut. Which I hope to do on Oct 9. As others have remarked, it is always such a relief to get back to a stable situation where you have the luxury of being able to focus. I'm dreaming about being back in weight-loss mode for the winter!

Old 09-17-2017, 05:56 PM   #74
Bluebelle
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bluebelle
Stats: 208/193/150 5'3"
Start Date: March 1st, 2017
Vlo - I so sympathize. I know this kind of mercenary, corporate bs all too well - such a lovely "surprise" when you open up the offer letter and your heart sinks. My question for you, though: would a part-time job appeal to you though? Enough to be happy in IL? I ask because, well, we've always been a 2-income family out of necessity, but I also love my job (despite appearances!). My job = freedom to me.

Portia - Thrifting for Tuscany! Love it.

Slow yes will be there mid-Oct! Will PM you.

Bluebelle news: we are taking a last-minute 2-day trip to that all-inclusive resort (the same one we went to in April for DS's birthday). We leave this Wednesday. DH submitted all his background check stuff and now we just have to wait 3 weeks. Hopefully it will all work out -- but this is a great chance to unwind and also good to do this trip before DH (hopefully) starts at the new job, because it'll be a long time before he has vacation days.

WOE-wise - I am not going to bother getting back on rotations before the trip (it's only 2 days away, and have loads of work to finish to actually be able to go), but I will try to do healthy MDs. And then get back on track as soon as we come home.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:08 AM   #75
Carly

Hi All!

Just a quick fly-by.

My cold is completely gone and I could not be more happy... well, if I won the lottery, could by my dream house and travel the world, I could be MORE happy, but really glad the cold is gone.

DW is feeling a bit better with the shingles, but it is Nasty as Cindy said.

Portia- your trip to Tuscany sounds lovely!

We are scheduled to go to St. Thomas in November, but they got hit really hard by Irma, so it's a bit iffy at this point.

TTYL.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:58 AM   #76
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you all so much on the advice and words of wisdom on DH Job situation. He ended up countering for 5K more and they accepted so while it's still a substantial pay cut he's actually only making 5K less than when we left Illinois two years ago. The health insurance with the company is also substantially cheaper than what we pay for currently so that is helping bridge the gap some. If our calculations are correct he should only be making about $200 less per month. As for the odd way that they offered this job, I knew that he had to counter because you can never take anyone at their word especially if it's not in writing..... so even if this supposed promotion doesn't come to pass we can make it anyways. We had a frank discussion where I asked him if he was OK with taking what is pretty much a demotion and he says he's ok with it as the position has less responsibility and he doesn't have to manage anyone. He also loves that it's only 20 minutes from the house and the payout is worth not having a crazy commute.I am also going to be on the lookout for a part-time job because like I said I do have more help and would be able to leave my son with someone. Not only to make up the difference but to also still be able to continue to save money. My husband wants to buy a house within the next couple of years, so goals. This is all going to happen really quick, he starts 10/2 so basically we are packing everything in a U-Haul trailer the next two weeks and he is driving down with my van and the kids and I will stay behind. I have a commitment on the 30th with my team that I did not want to miss and we also have a wedding to attend on the 15th. So I will be joining him after the 15th. As for living with others that's not going to change at all I'm moving from his parents house to my moms house. and trust me living with his parents was a breeze compared to what living with my mom will be like. But I hope that it's very short term I am going to let my tenant know that we will not be renewing the lease with her and that while she's welcome to stay for the duration of the lease she can also leave without being penalized before hand as well. Her lease is up in March hopefully she find something quickly and wants to be out by November /December but we shall see. So that's the update on my crazy life! While I am excited and happy that we are finally going back to IL I'm also a little bit sad because I did make friends out here and I'm also going to miss my team. But in the long run it boiled down to would I rather be broke out here ?or broke back home ?and I'd rather be broke back home !

Carly- yay for your cold being gone and sorry dw got shingles! My father in law just had them and was in a lot of pain. DW should research before going for the vaccine though, I've read some concerning things! Hope your trip to st Thomas Doesn't get cancelled!

Bluebelle- thanks so much for the compliment you know,I think I do want to work, I've been a stay at home mom for nearly 9 years( I've had sporadic part time jobs here and there) and as much as I enjoy the freedom it's also been a huge financial sacrifice for our family. I'd love to see how quickly 2 incomes can make the difference in getting to our goals. Have fun at the resort and I hope DH paperwork goes thru smoothly!

Portia- Tuscany , sigh, I'm jealous! Also where in NJ will you be? I'll still be here in early oct , maybe we can meet up! Have fun on your trip! Going to go for a 2 day fast today and tomorrow, 2 days felt good, 3 was pushing it for me.

Slow , kissa, Leona-

Phoenix- hope you are feeling less bloated this week! If not might I suggest drinking Diatomaceous earth? That stuff works wonders!
Old 09-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #77
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

As for fasting I've been doing decently, got back down to 169 on Friday and then I had a UUAD on Saturday because we went to Chinatown and Little Italy for the San Gerrano festival with the kids. So I definitely ate what I wanted but didn't over do it and didn't worry about it but I walked a lot. I went out Saturday for a teammate birthday to a dance club and had about four diet rum and cokes but I danced the entire night. Next morning scale was only up 1 so I was pretty happy. Was going to attempt a down day yesterday but gave in around 2 PM like I usually do on weekends and just ate LC. Today I have successfully fasted all day , it's about 4:30 PM and I am going to try to see if I can extend it through tomorrow. If I was able to do three day fast I can certainly do a two day fast, I actually felt great on day 2 it was day three that I started to feel like I really need to eat. Depending on how it goes maybe it's something that I can do regularly.....so maybe fast mon/tue then eat weds ,then fast thu/fri then break for the weekend? I kind of like the sound of it because then I get four fasting days in the week but I have my weekends off still.....I'll let you guys know if I end up trying it out. Today I'm up 173 and I'd like to get below 169 and stay there even after an ud soon. I need to pick my excercise back up but we'll see how that goes with the stress of the move. But definitely after the move because I'm pretty sure new budget will not allow for roller derby anymore

Last edited by Vlo1125; 09-18-2017 at 01:43 PM..
Old 09-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #78
Bluebelle
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bluebelle
Stats: 208/193/150 5'3"
Start Date: March 1st, 2017
Quote:
four diet rum and cokes but I danced the entire night
Words to live by Vlo !

I am so happy for you! It sounds stressful but exciting too. Glad they accepted the counter. I think there are a lot of upsides to your DH's new job (commute, health plan) to balance out the not-so-great - try to focus on those. I am glad you are positive about the PT job idea - I was a SAHM for the first 2 years of DS' life and it was definitely the right thing to do (I am positive it made a huge difference in his personality and confidence to have all that nurturing), but I also felt like my brain was turning to pancake batter. I loved being in the workplace and talking to grown-ups and solving non-household problems. My favorite thing was bringing another income in though! Money = freedom

Carly glad you got over your cold! Would you be able to travel somewhere else (that isn't St. Thomas)?

I actually managed a DD yesterday (which felt GREAT) - today has been Snacky McSnackerson but at least I was super productive at work. Getting excited about leaving for the mini-trip on Wednesday. 3 days of NO COOKING FOR ANYONE EVER (Vlo I know you hear me on this) + reading + (sunblock-slathered) sunbathing + cocktails = YAS!!
Old 09-18-2017, 04:47 PM   #79
leonak
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: leonak
Stats: Goal Met July, 2015 - 112!!!!
finally have a jar of dill pickle juice, but it is not much

also bought head of lettuce - i usually just buy romain

Now what do i do for pickled lettuce?

put chopped up lettuce in jar, then mix dill pickle juice with more vinegar and pour over lettuce??

will the lettuce like shrink in the juice?

oh, i also have some juice from a jar of olives, should i use that too?

I seem to recall that Carly and SS make this, so any one else please tell me what to do - in case they are not here tonight

Thanks Much!
Old 09-19-2017, 03:57 AM   #80
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Leona- I remember Carly talking about this but can't remember the exact recipe, I thought she just put lettuce in the pickle juice? I even went back to look for it but couldn't find it! Sorry!

Bluebelle- money does = freedom! And I'm sick of just being a bystander, I want to contribute and change our finances! I've already started applying online and have had 2 responses so let's see! As for needing adult interaction, definitely! I think that's why I crave a social life so much because it's my only opportunity to be with other adults! Enjoy your 3 days of rest and relaxation! how is Costa Rica with all these hurricanes in the Caribbean? Edit: I needed a geography lesson! Looks like Costa Rica is below the hurricane belt!

So only my mother would fly to Puerto Rico on vacation when a category 5 hurricane is headed that way now my brothers and I not only have to worry for our grandparents and other family over there but our mother who took an ill timed trip! oy vey! Sigh nothing for it but to hope and pray they are prepared and safe.

Successfully fasted yesterday just fine, I seriously had no hunger which was nice! Scale dropped 5.4 lb over night which is more than usual, 168.2 this morning I think I will go for day 2 then eat Wednesday. I just remembered I can't fast Friday cause I have a bachelorette party to go to. So this week will be mon/tues/thur fast and then it would probably be smart to fast either Saturday or Sunday but you know me. If I can at least do OMAD fri-sun that would help keep the gains to a minimum but I'll see how it goes.

Last edited by Vlo1125; 09-19-2017 at 04:08 AM..
Old 09-19-2017, 05:07 AM   #81
Carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
finally have a jar of dill pickle juice, but it is not much

also bought head of lettuce - i usually just buy romain

Now what do i do for pickled lettuce?

put chopped up lettuce in jar, then mix dill pickle juice with more vinegar and pour over lettuce??

will the lettuce like shrink in the juice?

oh, i also have some juice from a jar of olives, should i use that too?

I seem to recall that Carly and SS make this, so any one else please tell me what to do - in case they are not here tonight

Thanks Much!
I add rice vinegar, sea salt and and 3 drops of ez-sweets to the pickle juice and add the cut up lettuce to a tupperware container. The juice does not need to fully cover the lettuce when you first put it in. Just shake it around and then the lettuce will soak up part of the juice and wilt down partially.

Hope you like it.

Vlo- so glad that you are getting to go back to IL. I know you have been looking forward to this for a long time. Hopefully your tenant will move out sooner rather than later. I will send some prayers for your family in PR.

Bluebelle- enjoy your vacation- sounds just lovely. Regarding our trip to St. Thomas- we have flight insurance on the tickets and if the resort is still closed we won't be penalized, but I think it will be hard to find another place to go between finding flights and room availability during the exact time DW was approved to take off.
My job is a bit more flexible and I could probably rearrange my time off, even though it's been approved, but doubt DW will be able to so...
There is also no telling who the shingles will be. She seems to be getting much better, so hopefully they will be gone by then, but I'm thinking that a beach vacation might not be the best if she isn't fully recovered. We still have time, so will see what October brings.

Back to work-TTYL

Old 09-19-2017, 05:29 AM   #82
p0rtia
Major LCF Poster!

Vlo -- Pulling for you and your plans for the future. Be bold (not impetuous bold; deliberate bold). I'll be in Bergen County--actually over the border in Rockland County. It's a childhood reunion thing, so zero free/solo time, alas. Darn.

Carly -- Glad you're feeling better and hoping the same for DW. I note that the exercise thread has thinned again. I will try to find time for my steppies today. Hang on! My tennis time is just around the corner!
Bluebelle -- Still so delighted for your new beginnings. Enjoy the getaway!

Slow -- I've been following you in the weigh-in thread, and have a question, if you don't mind about the unexpected long-term uptick and the action you're taking. So being in WLM means trying to reduce body fat percentage, right? Which assumes that you think the uptick is fat gain? You've often stated that you think short-term upticks are water gain. What is your approach here? Seems like a sticky wicket. What happens if the long-term uptick isn't reflective of body fat percentage increase?

Kissa -- Every time you write "Devon" I get this warm fuzzy. I've traveled a lot in England, but have never been in Devon--and have always wanted to go. I'm a fan of non-city spaces--and thus plan to heartily enjoy the hills of Tuscany. Castles and Renaissance art also good!
Old 09-19-2017, 08:14 AM   #83
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

My MIL's kidney removal is scheduled for tomorrow so we should have a clearer idea then of whether there are other sites, secondaries in the nearby area and its implications for her recovery etc. etc.

Understandably, DH is very unsettled.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:38 AM   #84
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0rtia View Post
Slow -- I've been following you in the weigh-in thread, and have a question, if you don't mind about the unexpected long-term uptick and the action you're taking. So being in WLM means trying to reduce body fat percentage, right? Which assumes that you think the uptick is fat gain? You've often stated that you think short-term upticks are water gain. What is your approach here? Seems like a sticky wicket. What happens if the long-term uptick isn't reflective of body fat percentage increase?!
It's an interesting question. However, altho' a year ago I was coming out of having dropped below my range (I was <100lbs for a while) this short term uptick has turned into a sustained uptick for approx. 9 months and the longer it's with me the more that I'm literally feeling it.

I would usually track my body composition through DXA screening to assess what is going on. However, as I know that I'm carrying some water weight, DXA would only be able to report error - it would calculate the excess water as indicative of muscle and over-report the LBM.

I think some of the gain was fat gain (and it might be) because I've had an increase in my waist measurement which now fluctuates somewhere between 23.5-25 inches rather than 21.5"-23" which it was previously. Using the crude metric of 1 inch on the waist = 5 lbs weight gain/associated body fat that seems about right. (And, I had a body fat level of >40% when I weighed 127lbs and had a <26 inch waist. So, according to DXA monitoring, I lost no LBM when I reduced from 127lbs to my 102-108lbs range when I was approx. 20% body fat with the 21.5-23 inch waist which works well with 1"=5 lbs.)

[I edited out an essay on forms of arthritis and dyslipidemia. ]

It is an irritatingly unclear picture because the inflammatory arthritis is having a substantial impact on my activity levels and that is making its own contribution to my unsettled metabolism and weight. Plus, it's altering my ability to gauge my muscle quality. However, I wouldn't do anything that would jeopardise my muscle quality or quantity because I already know that I'm categorised as sarcopenic.

I'll spare you my grumble about the complete lack of accessible ways in which we can monitor these useful body composition fluctuations.

Last edited by SlowSure; 09-19-2017 at 08:39 AM..
Old 09-19-2017, 10:02 AM   #85
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: phoenix17
Stats: getting there slowly but surely
WOE: LC, MF and now JUDDD
Hi all!
Sorry I missed so much conversation!
Vlo: super happy to hear about DH's job and your pending move!! woohoo!!! The way I consider it with a job is it is not always just about the money (reasonably speaking that is). Seems like you would all be happier back in IL and DH seems pretty happy with the job and the pay difference also seems fairly minimal. I took a paycut to take my current job because it reduced my commute and put me in a FAR better work situation and don't regret it. Having said that I do have to say that their promise to make up the paycut to me in the coming round of yearly raises did NOT happen. In fact my recent promotion only put me back to what I was making 1.5 years ago BUT no way would I trade back for that toxic situation I was in before. NO WAY. Totally worth the pay cut.

Slow - sending best wishes for your MIL.

Carly- happy to hear you are both feeling better! Keeping fingers crossed for your vacation!

Bluebelle - have fun on your getaway! and I'm sure DH will get that job after the background check.

Portia- your vacation sounds awesome!! I love Tuscany. I've been to Italy 4 times already and I would be happy to go back again - so much to see!! Oh now I am craving a real vacation listening to all you ladies describe yours.

I've had an up and down weekend- work then play then work. I lost 2 lbs of my recent gain, then successfully kept it off over the weekend but then had an uptick (1.2) yesterday! grrr. I was feeling ill on Monday so wasn't eating but had some soup and potato (I find potatoes soothing to an upset tummy when its healing) and so I wonder if its just water weight. Hope so because I am sick of it. I have a lunch meeting today but convinced them to go to a Japanese fusion place where I'll get Pho and have mostly the broth. I can save the noodles and filling for another meal and stir fry it with a bunch of veggies and really stretch it out. I'm trying hard to get back to good rotations. Since I seem to get together with DC mostly on Friday evenings they always tend to turn in to UDs so I am actually going to attempt to make Sundays DDs. I'm feeling especially motivated lately so maybe it can work. Here's hoping!

I have been trying to finish and post this for hours !
phoenix17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:31 PM   #86
FairyWren
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FairyWren
Stats: 178/144/133 5'4"
Slow - just popping in to send best wishes for your MIL tomorrow, will be thinking of you.

Vlo - hope all is well with your mum and other family in Puerto Rico

Carly - Glad your DW is on the mend from the shingles!

Portia - I am very envious of your upcoming trip to Tuscany, you'll have a fab time!

Caught up on reading everyones news. I had a great hike but am now flat out catching up on lots of work stuff I need another holiday!
Old 09-19-2017, 02:18 PM   #87
Vlo1125
Major LCF Poster!

Sigh I'm 42 hours in and I've been very hungry today really feel like throwing in the towel , idk why my day 2 this time has been so much hungrier than my last day 2 it 4 pm so I could push myself but I kind of feel like I'm torturing myself for no reason......blah idk.....I'm glad I've made it this far but I think I'm calling it quits.

Ok 40 mins after writing the above and I'm stuffed now what should I do tomorrow? Hmmm well I could input all ate and see how many cals and if it's low enough still consider it a dd /md and have my ud tomorrow? Or just call today an ud and go for another dd tomorrow ? eh I'll figure it out.

Evie- thanks!

Slow- wishing your MIL a speedy recovery!

Portia- *snaps fingers* darn! Well have fun visiting with everyone!

Carly- thanks

Phoenix- yes I think DH feels much like you do about your old job. So I'm glad he able to leave and we get to go back home! Are you still having stomach issues? Eaten sushi lately? Could it be a parasite? I only ask cause when I had unexplained stomach issues that what it turned out to be! Good luck with your Sunday dd, definitely helps to have set dd's if you know you have plans every Friday. Tues/Thur/sun would work or mon/weds/sat too. We both struggle with that weekend dd so I'm rooting for you it's tough!

Last edited by Vlo1125; 09-19-2017 at 02:20 PM..
Old 09-20-2017, 08:02 AM   #88
phoenix17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: phoenix17
Stats: getting there slowly but surely
WOE: LC, MF and now JUDDD
Fairywren- love that name- what were the highlights of your hike? sounds like a lovely adventure.

Vlo - how is your Mom and relatives doing? saw on the news this morning the Cat4 hitting PR. Yikes!
I am still having stomach issues but I really don't know what the issue is. I was OK for a couple of days but then in the middle of the night on Sunday started having issues again that persisted in to Tuesday. I ate yogurt, soup and potatoes and felt better. No sushi lately and in fact nothing really different except the antibiotics so I'm just trying to continue to think of gut health with my food choices. I will try the diatomaceous earth- I have a big container of it that I keep forgetting about. At this point it cant hurt.

I was just re-reading some of the potato hack thread, I was thinking of doing that again just as a sort of jump start or something. I keep losing between 2-3 lbs and then it comes right back on again. I HATE that I feel so "bulgy" again. I took a step back by about 8 months.

Ok enough whining, just need to take some action. I'll consider the PH- maybe just do a couple of days and see how it goes. Also think I'll try Sunday DDs.
phoenix17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:57 AM   #89
taramisu
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: taramisu
Stats: 282/209/180
Start Date: April 7, 2015
Vlo, hoping all your family are all right!!!! That's stressful.

I've been lurking on the board to keep up with you all and have tried to write a few posts, but usually end up giving up because I don't know what to say about my weight loss efforts right now. It's just not going well and I'm struggling. I have now written and re-written this post approximately 10 times, trying to explain what's going on with me, but I keep deleting it because nothing comes out right. Anyway, still here, and will hopefully be able to put a voice to all of it soon. Even saying nothing in this post hopefully helps me not disappear into my own misery. (Sorry for the overdramatic statements. Hard not to feel overdramatic right now!)
tara ¤

My Journal

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times—if one only remembers to turn on the light. ~ Albus Dumbledore
taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #90
Carly

Vlo- hoping your family in PR is doing OK. Is it super windy in NJ around you? I took a walk up 11 avenue around 12:30pm and it was so windy I almost got blown over. Not sure if those are gusts from Jose or what. We did not seem to get the kind of rain the forcasted.

Pheniox and Tara- I feel you right. I've bounced up to 127 and not at all happy about it. It just seems that I need to keep a very tight lid on my eating or my weight creeps up so very easily. I know I've eaten more than normal over the last 3 weeks or so, but honestly, still SO much less than what I see those around me eating... it is what is, right?

I need to get and stay very strict if I want me weight to stay in the 123lb.