Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2017, 07:52 PM   #1
Corinne
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Corinne
Help me understand insulin sensitivity

So I am 100% sure that I am very insulin resistant. No question. I have been reading and hearing a lot about healing that with the low carb-ketogenic diet and my question is, how do I know if I am becoming more insulin sensitive? What signs are there or is there a way to know?
Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2017, 08:26 PM   #2
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srinath_69
Stats: 238/149/138
WOE: Fibonnaci fasting, BPT atkins 20
Start Date: Jun 1, July 25, Aug 15, sept 15, Oct 12
Best way is a fasting and a post prandial insulin test. High fasting and an even higher post prandial = resistance. Also high A1C's and high FBS indicate resistance, and compared to another person, same A1C but one has 90 and another is 100 for FBS then the 100 one is more resistant than the 90 one.
Of course you repeat that same test as you progress.
But the things that indicate improvement - you will need more and more carbs to kick you off keto, and you will get back into keto sooner with the same amount of carbs.
Also you eat a carb only meal, with very very little fat like I did a few days ago, you don't feel stuffed, you feel light and energetic.
I dunno there is probably more, but this is what I can think of for now.
Oh, possibly an effortless weightloss, atleast till you get to the single digits for BF.
Thanks.
Srinath.
srinath_69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:51 PM   #3
Corinne
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Corinne
Thank you! How long does it take to heal to the point that your insulin sensitivity is normal usually?
Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:21 AM   #4
E.W.
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
This is a highly individual thing. For some of us eating a better diet, geting some exercise and losing some weight might do the trick. But in my case losing 50 lbs, geting some exercise 4 or 5 times a week and eating better did not cure my insulin resistance -- helped it a little but sure didn't cure it.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:15 AM   #5
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

Fasting worked like a charm for me. Oct 26th it was 5.3. Day 5 of a 13 day fast then. Jan 14th 0.8 on day 8 of a fast. I don't know where I started out. The underlying theme is, lower it, and keep it lowered for days on end by not eating anything that creates insulin.
Thanks.
Srinath.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/201/? 5'4"
WOE: JUDDD, reduced carb
Start Date: Tomorrow
Srinath, I have a question for you. You weighed a lot more when you started out, so you were obviously eating a lot more, probably the standard American diet. What made you decide to do this, and to this degree? Was it health problems, or just a sudden desire to lose the weight? Was 238 your highest weight? Or just what you weighed when you joined LCF? I hope I'm not being too nosey. Just curious.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:22 PM   #7
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

pre diabetes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
Srinath, I have a question for you. You weighed a lot more when you started out, so you were obviously eating a lot more, probably the standard American diet. What made you decide to do this, and to this degree? Was it health problems, or just a sudden desire to lose the weight? Was 238 your highest weight? Or just what you weighed when you joined LCF? I hope I'm not being too nosey. Just curious.
I got pre diabetic diagnosis. May have been a bit of a mis diagnosis, never had the OGTT test, just A1c and FBS.
I had foot surgery in 2013, and while I was in bed rest after that I may have been over 242. But once I started getting back and the pain went away, I dropped to 235 or so rather quickly.

I actually ate a semi indian+american diet. I'd blame the rice and wheat based flat breads for some of it. I wasn't a huge American style bread eater.
I love sweet foods though, nothing with that has changed.
I need to keep insulin sensitivity at its peak no matter what, cos I aint giving up sweet foods. Its easier to give up all food than to give up sweet foods IMHO.
Thanks.
Srinath.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:27 AM   #8
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

I am full blown diabetic. I never had the OGTT test either. I went into the hospital for heart surgery and that's when they did A1c and discovered I was diabetic. I never knew what that A1c was at that time. After surgery, when I went to my PCP I asked him how I could all of a sudden be diabetic just like that and his reply was, "You were getting up there." So apparently he was testing and I was in the prediabetic range for a while but he never mentioned it to me. I don't know if I would have changed anything at that point, anyway.

I lost my sweet tooth somewhere along the line. I would eat a second helping of my dinner before I would eat dessert.

Were you born in the US, or India? Just curious.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:52 PM   #9
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

I was born in India in 69 and arrived here in feb of 92. Lived a year+ in Reading PA matter of fact.
South Indian Diet is very heavy Rice based, north indian is flat bread style wheat based. I also used to eat pizza, pasta etc in copious amounts. Just no straight up bread. I never would Oooh and aaaahhh over anything that was bread based. Bread pudding being my least favorite and all other breads being right behind it.
To me, Pizza was a delivery vehicle for the meat. Ergo, I substituted that for a spoon.
Pasta was a delivery vehicle for sauces and the dry pasta my wife used to make was loaded with veggies and spices and parmesan cheese. Yea just use a fork, skip the pasta.
Rice - again delivery of rasam and sambar. both of which I have not got much of a craving for.

Oddly the thing that jumps to the top of what I miss eating - Scalloped potatoes with Chili.

Thanks.
Srinath.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:59 AM   #10
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

You are younger than my children. LOL

I love to try food from different countries, but have never tried Indian. There is an Indian restaurant in Pittsburgh that it said to be authentic, but I never go to the city. I have heard that Indian Food is not low carb. Is Indian Food healthier in India? Some say that when a cuisine comes to the US it is Americanized and therefore not as healthy as in the home land. Is your wife also Indian?

For me, as a diabetic, pizza is considered a bread based food. I can and have pulled off the cheese and toppings and mixed it in with salad greens so I get the pizza taste without the carby crust. It is a not-so-bad substitute for the real thing.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #11
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

Indian food is rice and wheat based. Honestly I go to a buffet and I never eat rice or naan. Even when I wasn't on atkins I wont eat that.
Just eat tandoori chicken, the chicken butter masala, the goat/lamb curry and dessert.
If you just eat the meat, and leave out the gravy on all those I'd guess till you hit that dessert round you're under 10gm carb.
Same with pizza. The local cici's and all 7 in the charlotte NC area know me by sight. Bowls get pulled and meats get tossed in before I even walk up to the register.
Thanks.
Srinath.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:24 PM   #12
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Srinath. I will remember all this if I go to an Indian Restaurant. I have enjoyed this banter and hope you didn't mind all my questions. Helps me know you better.