Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tracywatz
Stats: 22 lbs lighter
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 27/11/16
CARB Counting Advice

Hi everyone.

A little bit of advice please.

I am doing my own version of low carb, and doing very well. I have lost 22lb since end of November.

I am keeping to 50 carbs a day (roughly)

Can I eat any carbs to be under 50 so a bit like calorie counting, anything I want as long as its under 50 carbs?

I feel like I have been cheating a little lately. Last time around, I was only drinking almond milk, this time around I have not changed out my milk so there is quite a few carbs right there.

I don't eat bread, pasta, rice or sugar.

However, occasionally I cheat with a kids meal from Macdonalds. (chicken nuggets, small fries) or an odd sugar free biscuit.

Is this ok as long as I stay under the 50 carbs?

Its working but just wanted advice from the experts!
tracywatz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2017, 04:08 AM   #2
Avocado
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Avocado
Stats: 270/234/202
WOE: LC: Sept 2016
Start Date: Nov 2015
In theory <50 is low carb, but many people here are on 20-30. Strict low carb is 20 or under. Personally I'm 20-30, and feel like I'm really overdoing it above 30. Carbs are so easy to add, that you really need to find food products that you can accept that are within your plan. It has to be sustainable, but if you're going for weight loss, it has to work too. I used to be a big milk drinker, but now only have (double) cream in my tea/coffee and almond milk for other recipes. If you have cut out bread, pasta, rice, sugar (and presumably potatoes too!) you are on the right track.

KG to goal: -13.0 kg

Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:53 AM   #3
tracywatz
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocado View Post
In theory <50 is low carb, but many people here are on 20-30. Strict low carb is 20 or under. Personally I'm 20-30, and feel like I'm really overdoing it above 30. Carbs are so easy to add, that you really need to find food products that you can accept that are within your plan. It has to be sustainable, but if you're going for weight loss, it has to work too. I used to be a big milk drinker, but now only have (double) cream in my tea/coffee and almond milk for other recipes. If you have cut out bread, pasta, rice, sugar (and presumably potatoes too!) you are on the right track.
Thanks. I do under 20 when I first start but then go to under 50 and its dropping off me, so it is working. Everyone is now starting to notice which is nice, and I have gone down a dress size. When I do it 100% my foggy brain is much better but when I do the odd cheat, I think I hinder the health side of it but not the weight loss side if that makes sense.

Just wondering are those little cheats really worth it?
Old 02-16-2017, 05:05 AM   #4
Avocado
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracywatz View Post
Thanks. I do under 20 when I first start but then go to under 50 and its dropping off me, so it is working. Everyone is now starting to notice which is nice, and I have gone down a dress size. When I do it 100% my foggy brain is much better but when I do the odd cheat, I think I hinder the health side of it but not the weight loss side if that makes sense.

Just wondering are those little cheats really worth it?
Personally, I would find kids meals at McD's would lead to proper meal (on a stressful day) and within weeks, the carbs would take over and I would be off plan (bingeing). My go to at McD's is 1-2 plain double cheeseburgers or a sausage & egg muffin in the morning. On the burger I remove the bun myself, on the breakfast I get them to make it no muffin and it comes on a tray. Once I finish it, I always feel completely satisified (and quite virtuous).

I suppose it depends on what your eating issues are, how old/young you are, and how overweight you are.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:24 AM   #5
tracywatz
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Personally, I would find kids meals at McD's would lead to proper meal (on a stressful day) and within weeks, the carbs would take over and I would be off plan (bingeing). My go to at McD's is 1-2 plain double cheeseburgers or a sausage & egg muffin in the morning. On the burger I remove the bun myself, on the breakfast I get them to make it no muffin and it comes on a tray. Once I finish it, I always feel completely satisified (and quite virtuous).

I suppose it depends on what your eating issues are, how old/young you are, and how overweight you are.
The old me would have cheated really bad, but sugar was always my problem, so apart from the odd natural sugar I am not eating ANY sugars. So the odd chip is enough for me hehehe.

I am old 48 hahaha and not as fat as I was before (13 stone)

My food cravings have all gone.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #6
Casey
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / Clean Eating
Start Date: October, 1999
And I will add that it's not so much staying below a certain number of carbs, but eliminating the cravings for sugar, fast food, processed food.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:35 PM   #7
battler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: battler
It comes down to what you are trying to achieve. If its solely about losing weight, then I would say just count your carbs. If you want to get healthy, then all wheat and vegetable oils have to go, and sugar only in very small quantities.
battler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:16 PM   #8
Avocado
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by battler View Post
It comes down to what you are trying to achieve. If its solely about losing weight, then I would say just count your carbs. If you want to get healthy, then all wheat and vegetable oils have to go, and sugar only in very small quantities.
Does that include olive oil?

Old 02-16-2017, 09:09 PM   #9
battler
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Does that include olive oil?
I actually believe the hype around olive oil is over stated in the overall context of a high (good fat) diet and low (vegetable carbs) diet.

I didn't mean that olive oil needed to be eliminated - I was referring to canola, sunflower and the like, but I don't use olive oil much now. I tend to use beef lard as its also high in monounsaturated fat and has a pretty neutral flavour.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:33 AM   #10
Avocado
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The old me would have cheated really bad, but sugar was always my problem, so apart from the odd natural sugar I am not eating ANY sugars. So the odd chip is enough for me hehehe.

I am old 48 hahaha and not as fat as I was before (13 stone)

My food cravings have all gone.
Sugar is definitely the worst ! So are you in maintenance / pre-maintenace now ?

Old 02-17-2017, 09:26 AM   #11
Bbarb
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bbarb
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Feb 2017
I think she was asking, does 10 carb of apples count the same as 10 carb of bread?
Or if she binged on a macdonald's would effect on the body be the same as eating the same number of carbs as contained in a bunch of grapes? (forgetting the tummy ache if you ate that many grapes).

Last edited by Bbarb; 02-17-2017 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: typo
Bbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:30 AM   #12
Avocado
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbarb View Post
I think she was asking, does 10 carb of apples count the same as 10 carb of bread?
Or if she binged on a macdonald's would effect on the body be the same as eating the same number of carbs as contained in a bunch of grapes? (forgetting the tummy ache if you ate that many grapes).
10 carbs of apples is about 1/2 an apple
10 carbs bread, a slice
10 carbs grapes about half a cup

No tummy aches likely !

Old 02-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #13
Neko
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Neko
Stats: 195/165/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/9/2017
But how many French Fries do we get for 10 carbs?

If you find it doesn't stall you or cause you to go off plan. I don't see why you couldn't occasionally add a higher carb desired item to your daily carb/calorie intake.
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:40 AM   #14
Avocado
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
But how many French Fries do we get for 10 carbs?

If you find it doesn't stall you or cause you to go off plan. I don't see why you couldn't occasionally add a higher carb desired item to your daily carb/calorie intake.
Not many ! I've done the math !

Old 02-17-2017, 01:12 PM   #15
Bbarb
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bbarb
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Feb 2017
Say you're allowing yourself 50 g a day which is quite usual, and you choose to have your 50g carbs as chocolate and eat only nil carb food for the rest of the day - would your body react in the same way as it would if you'd been sensible and taken your carbs as vegs and fruit?
Bbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:24 PM   #16
Avocado
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Say you're allowing yourself 50 g a day which is quite usual, and you choose to have your 50g carbs as chocolate and eat only nil carb food for the rest of the day - would your body react in the same way as it would if you'd been sensible and taken your carbs as vegs and fruit?
The short answer, everyone is different. Some people can trigger cravings with just 10 cg of chocolate others can get away with more. Atkins approach was to reduce the carbs down very low (20 cg) and slowly introduce higher carbs on a trial and error basis. To see what effect they will have on cravings and weight loss. Personally, I've had up to around 10 cg chocolate and it hasn't affected me. It would be a good idea to experiment a bit, and log everything you eat, so you get a good idea of what is working and what isn't.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #17
battler
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
A lot of vitamins in fruit and veg are fat soluble, yet with the exception of avocados, they contain minuscule amounts of fat if anything.

Assuming we are talking of dark chocolate, - cocoa is full of minerals and good fat and satiating.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:09 AM   #18
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Hi everyone.

A little bit of advice please.

I am doing my own version of low carb, and doing very well. I have lost 22lb since end of November.

I am keeping to 50 carbs a day (roughly)

Can I eat any carbs to be under 50 so a bit like calorie counting, anything I want as long as its under 50 carbs?

I feel like I have been cheating a little lately. Last time around, I was only drinking almond milk, this time around I have not changed out my milk so there is quite a few carbs right there.

I don't eat bread, pasta, rice or sugar.

However, occasionally I cheat with a kids meal from Macdonalds. (chicken nuggets, small fries) or an odd sugar free biscuit.

Is this ok as long as I stay under the 50 carbs?

Its working but just wanted advice from the experts!
It depends on what 'working' means to you. If your only focus is weight loss and you are feeling well ~ I would suggest that you need not worry about it.

For many folks (myself included), I would not be in keto at that level of carbs on a regular basis and that is my main focus. I am also focussed on they type of food I eat (no grains, sugar, starches etc.) so that makes it pretty easy to stay around 20g total per day.

I think the biggest problem with eating in the way you describe might be an issue with compliance. 'Cheating' here and there with biscuits and trips to McD., can be a slippery slope for many. Carb cravings never really abated. Just watch out. Awareness is key.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!

Last edited by clackley; 02-18-2017 at 07:11 AM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:40 AM   #19
Moonlights
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Moonlights
Stats: 204/150/136
Start Date: 18/04/2012
I think it's the kind of cheat, too.

Eating your 50g carbs all as chocolate would likely slow or stall weight loss due to the insulin spike it would cause - half the reason lc works is because it slows our insulin rollercoaster. Cheating with just white bread would be similar in effect.

Cheating (I don't really like the term but it will do for now) with battered chicken and a few chips cooked in oil will still raise insulin but it would be a slower spike.

I find that if I'm desperately hungry and can't find low carb food a bag of crisps at 15g carbs or so tends not to cause me problems whereas something sugary would.
Moonlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:41 AM   #20
tracywatz
Junior LCF Member

You guys are great thanks so much for all the helpful advice. I never eat sugar, rice, bread, pasta. I do have odd bag of crisps which is about 11 carbs. Like I said occasionally I crave something like McDonalds chips, (smallest packet in the UK its very small). However I am noticing it is affecting me the same as sugar does, foggy, brain, achy muscles.

I am over weight and am doing this to lose weight, but I also have fibroymyalgia and depression so the benefits of low carb are amazing to my health. I am/was addicted to sugar so I daren't allow myself even a tiny cheat on sugar.

I am not on maintenance as yet, but do found under 50 carbs is working for me as I am still losing weight and inches.

If I stall I drop back down to 20.

Thank you all so much for your advice. I was asking did it matter which way I used the carbs and you have all been very helpful.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:26 AM   #21
Avocado
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
You guys are great thanks so much for all the helpful advice. I never eat sugar, rice, bread, pasta. I do have odd bag of crisps which is about 11 carbs. Like I said occasionally I crave something like McDonalds chips, (smallest packet in the UK its very small). However I am noticing it is affecting me the same as sugar does, foggy, brain, achy muscles.

I am over weight and am doing this to lose weight, but I also have fibroymyalgia and depression so the benefits of low carb are amazing to my health. I am/was addicted to sugar so I daren't allow myself even a tiny cheat on sugar.

I am not on maintenance as yet, but do found under 50 carbs is working for me as I am still losing weight and inches.

If I stall I drop back down to 20.

Thank you all so much for your advice. I was asking did it matter which way I used the carbs and you have all been very helpful.

UK McD's small french fries is 29g.
Basically the same a Cadbury's cream egg.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:42 AM   #22
tracywatz
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
UK McD's small french fries is 29g.
Basically the same a Cadbury's cream egg.
oh wow!!!! I love cream eggs lol!!

So have we all agreed that as long as I stay under my 20-50g carb it doesn't really matter which carbs it is, however the more starchy carbs could lead me to go off plan?

I am looking for new ideas because I am starting to get bored. I am a very boring low carber and not very experimental with my foods.

Really need a quick fix breakfast that isn't cooked.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:53 AM   #23
Dottie
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: ADF mostly Paleo
Quote:
oh wow!!!! I love cream eggs lol!!

So have we all agreed that as long as I stay under my 20-50g carb it doesn't really matter which carbs it is, however the more starchy carbs could lead me to go off plan?
Not really. A cadbury egg (pure sugar) is going to shoot your blood sugar up, where 20g carbs of broccoli (carbs and fiber) *usually* won't, or at least not to the degree of the sugary treat.

As for a breakfast that isn't cooked, nuts and cheese; pepperoni or ham, etc.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/

**Every day is up to you. You can choose for it to be a good day or a bad day.**
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote