Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-14-2017, 07:52 AM   #331
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GoBahnsen
Stats: Have lost 42 lbs since Nov.19, 2013
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 188 as of March 5, 2014 6'2"
Did we finally run out of things to say?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2017, 08:46 AM   #332
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/202/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Maybe we did, GB. LOL It seems we keep saying the same things over and over. I don't want us to lose touch with each other since our small group has formed a bond, but it seems that we never have anything new to talk about. I an not doing well with my weight. I really don't feel like I'm overeating, but obviously, I am, because I keep bouncing back up. I think if I just let go and ate whatever I wanted I would be a lot bigger, but I guess I need to eat differently in order to lose. I don't really have anything I can blame it on. I don't do the pizza and beer scene, and I don't eat sweets at all, so I guess it's just large portions. I don't know what else to say. I wish I could be in a situation where someone brought me the food I'm supposed to have and nothing else was available to me, like when I was in the hospital. Lock me in a room until I lost 50 lbs. LOL Right now I feel that I will weigh this amount for the rest of my life. Would that be so bad? I would be happy if I could just lose a bit of the belly and be able to button my jeans. Tired of elastic waists.

So here I am, worrying about my weight, and other people are so much worse off. My problem in 100% under my control, others are not that fortunate. You, GB, are going through something much worse. What's happening with that? Do you notice any difference in your tumor? Have you had any more scans? Have you been to the doctor? Are the doctor's agreeing to still see you since you are not following their suggestions? I don't know how that would work.

What are you up to Kris? Are you having any nice weather so you can get out and walk? I exercised yesterday, in my gameroom. It had a very favorable effect on my blood sugar. I should be doing it every day, even if it's just a short walk on the treadmill. It's just getting my butt out of my seat and moving.

When is Seabreezes coming back from her cruise?

Hi Marsha
! Nice to have you stop in!

Hi to anyone else who is lurking and has something to say. We accept all contributions to our little thread.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:28 PM   #333
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: schaferk
Stats: 165/134/125
WOE: Atkins/protein Power
Start Date: 1975
Hi Everyone!!! I didn't realize it had been so long since I've been on here.

First, A big back to you Marsha! GB is so right - I have thought about you very often and am so glad you popped in to say hi. Please share with us how you are doing tho I have so many questions What have you been up to and how are you??? At least give us a little bit!!!!

PAC I'm like you - I think in my own head that I am not eating that much and am doing OK but like you I'm bouncing up constantly. Still no progress for me either, still the broken record of weighing the same and losing nothing the last month. I've cut back the pizza and beer (from my usual way of life) but I still jump off the wagon and have some too often, totally abandoning LC. Like today it was a pizza buffet for Valentines Day because I knew DH wanted it. At least no beer for me. It was awful tho, I ate a TON. Down right embarrassing. I hate that about myself - I don't think enough of myself to stick to what I know I want for myself. There is always some "special occasion" coming up that sucks me in. I have been really good about the exercise, sometimes twice a day, double duty. The weather here has been unusually FABULOUS. We are setting new record highs on a regular basis. It's been so great. I've run a couple of times in a t-shirt which is normally impossible during our Februarys. The next several days are forecasted to be in the 60s - might even get the old Harley out on Sunday!!

GB I have the same questions as PAC - Where are you at with the cancer. Do you know if anything has helped yet? What are your doctors saying?

I know our thread is small but I love reading your posts. I hope we have not run out of things to say. For myself, I just feel like I keep repeating the same broken record - I don't find any answer for my failure in not losing. I start over and over and make the same mistakes. If I had done that at work I would have definitely been fired for sure. So why do I accept if from myself in my personal life?? Retirement is so easy. Going from high level responsibility to NONE at all such an adjustment. Nothing matters. Happiness, well I'm happy enough I guess, I certainly have a lot to be thankful and happy for. I count my blessings and am grateful to God everyday. New blessing - DD has my 3rd grandchild on the way I have so much to be thankful for. But I will never be happy with myself at this weight and I blame myself for not caring more about fixing it. So I guess you could say I'm causing my own unhappiness.

I'd like to say I'm going to do better but too embarrassed to say it again. My Jamaica trip is 5 weeks from yesterday. I can't lose what I want to by then
21 Aug 2017 - 139
schaferk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:37 AM   #334
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post

You, GB, are going through something much worse. What's happening with that? Do you notice any difference in your tumor? Have you had any more scans? Have you been to the doctor? Are the doctor's agreeing to still see you since you are not following their suggestions? I don't know how that would work.

Hi to anyone else who is lurking and has something to say. We accept all contributions to our little thread.
Hi PAC and Kris.
Sounds likes you guys are doing the same. Yeah....at our ages we are finding it harder to stay trim. We have learned that no one really cares about it anyway.

It's another story when you have 200 pounds to lose, but trying to get off that extra 30 to 50 pounds takes a lot of motivation. None of us are moved along by wanting to look good in a swim suit anymore. But we all know we should lose the extra pounds for a better life health wise.

The tumor seems to kind of always stay the same. I hit it with a lot if things that a conventional patient wouldn't do.

I drink this Essiac tea everyday. Doesn't taste good or bad. But the Canadian nurse who made it famous in the 1900's had great results with cancer patients.

Right now I have tens leads hooked up to myself sending various Rife frequencies into my body while the infra red heating wrap is around the tumor, as it gets pounded with 10,000 gauss pulses.

With all that happening to it most days, it seems to be staying put. Not going down any, but my hope is that on some future scan, they won't find any active cancer inside of it.

Maybe then I can get a surgeon to treat it as a benign tumor and take it out.

We had a friend over for dinner with his DW. He had a Sarcoma similar to mine in his chest. Almost as big as mine too. He was on cesium chloride for a while before surgery. The doctor said the tumor was just kind of sitting their and was easy to plop it out.

Unlike others that have tenticals and need to be carved out. He credits the cesium with causing the tumor to be more separated. I may take that stuff at some point too. It's kind of scary stuff tho. Really strong.

One vendor we talked to said it would probably cause the tumor to break out of the skin and ooze. I'm not quite ready for that one. My friend did not have any of the expensive electro medicine devices I use, so I'm giving them enough time to demonstrate whether they can deal with this tumor or not.

Right now my life is pretty normal otherwise. Really looking forward to the Spring in Santa Barbara county. Last Spring as you guys may recall, I was rescuing my homeless brother with repeated trips up that way.

Those were not healthy trips. It's when I got fat again and have remained fat ever since. But this Spring I will be living cleaner and able to enjoy my wife in that storybook land of green rolling hills with big oaks and vineyards.

Wish I knew how to send pics, but I am technically challenged.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #335
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/166/145
WOE: NSNG/Fung fast
Start Date: October 2013
Well, I need someone to talk about The Bachelor with. lol

I am just watching it now, but watching Corinne clip clop down marble hallways on 4" platforms, I was just hoping she went splat. Looked like an 8 year old trying on Mommy's shoes. I dunno why I watch this show. I end up fast forwarding through a LOT of the 2 hours.

I have been trying Intermittent Fasting (IF) as a way to "shocking" my body into letting go of this fat. I would say it's not working as my jeans still felt tight tonight, but I just don't know what the answer is. I only want to lose like 20 pounds or a couple inches, but does that have to mean being "perfect" every day or what? I see other people eat stuff I'm not eating and not gain so why am I punished for having a couple crackers or a piece of bread? Ugh.

Restart: 2/16/2017 184
Low: 4/26/2017 166
Current: 5/3/2017 168

Last edited by Madmarsha; 02-16-2017 at 08:31 PM..
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #336
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Maybe we did, GB. LOL It seems we keep saying the same things over and over. I don't want us to lose touch with each other since our small group has formed a bond, but it seems that we never have anything new to talk about. I an not doing well with my weight. I really don't feel like I'm overeating, but obviously, I am, because I keep bouncing back up. I think if I just let go and ate whatever I wanted I would be a lot bigger, but I guess I need to eat differently in order to lose. I don't really have anything I can blame it on. I don't do the pizza and beer scene, and I don't eat sweets at all, so I guess it's just large portions. I don't know what else to say. I wish I could be in a situation where someone brought me the food I'm supposed to have and nothing else was available to me, like when I was in the hospital. Lock me in a room until I lost 50 lbs. LOL Right now I feel that I will weigh this amount for the rest of my life. Would that be so bad? I would be happy if I could just lose a bit of the belly and be able to button my jeans. Tired of elastic waists.
DITTO! That's where I am exactly. I know it's going to take some experimenting to figure it out, but that makes me obsess and think about it too much which I don't think is healthy.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:42 PM   #337
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

I've been pretty good since the Super Bowl. No sweets, a couple packs of Splenda with coffee about every other day, a bite or two of pita bread and a bite of some great bread that came with an appetizer. So not bad. And none of the things I wondered about before, like too many nuts, too much dark chocolate, my hemp protein shake with almond milk EXCEPT cheese. So, really? Oh, I had some hot tea last night with a honey stick. But come on.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:59 AM   #338
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

It's me again. I changed my number. I officially have to re-lose the 30 I already lost. I hadn't been on the scale since about last April.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #339
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmarsha View Post
It's me again. I changed my number. I officially have to re-lose the 30 I already lost. I hadn't been on the scale since about last April.
Hi Marsha. Welcome back to the thread that endures.

In here, we are tired of saying that you got this or you can do it. We just talk life anymore. Not to be negative, because YOU CAN DO THIS marsha!!!
But will you???

As to the Bachelor show.....I hear you on poor Corrine looking so silly walking away from being turned away from her inappropriate advances and the thought that she could control the guy with her body.

The sadder factor is why did she stay while the cute little Russian girl went home? It appears once again that the producers have some persuasion to keep the season's bad girl alive.

It was so weird that ABC departed from tradition and released the insight into the next Bachelor-ette. So we know it isn't her. I would think Vanessa. Only because she is the best looking woman the show has ever had.

And she isn't just looks. But Raven is really cool in her own way. So who knows between those two. Corinne is chopped liver. I'm pretty sure Nick's arm has been twisted to keep such an obvious didzt on the show.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:22 PM   #340
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBahnsen View Post
Hi Marsha. Welcome back to the thread that endures.

In here, we are tired of saying that you got this or you can do it. We just talk life anymore. Not to be negative, because YOU CAN DO THIS marsha!!!
But will you???

As to the Bachelor show.....I hear you on poor Corrine looking so silly walking away from being turned away from her inappropriate advances and the thought that she could control the guy with her body.

The sadder factor is why did she stay while the cute little Russian girl went home? It appears once again that the producers have some persuasion to keep the season's bad girl alive.

It was so weird that ABC departed from tradition and released the insight into the next Bachelor-ette. So we know it isn't her. I would think Vanessa. Only because she is the best looking woman the show has ever had.

And she isn't just looks. But Raven is really cool in her own way. So who knows between those two. Corinne is chopped liver. I'm pretty sure Nick's arm has been twisted to keep such an obvious didzt on the show.
That's fine. I'd rather talk "life" anyway, to be honest. It's helpful to "talk" things out.

Totally agree with you on TB. Like I said, I dunno why I even watch. I cringe through the cheesiness of it.

The other thing I've been doing is getting serious about skin care and also revamping my makeup. Got rid of everything that was expired which was pretty much everything! It gets pretty confusing in the makeup world even in the space of a year when you haven't been paying attention. "Baking", "cushion foundation", "Beauty Blender" let alone all the Vitamin C serums, niacinimides, hyaluronic acids, retinoids, etc. of skincare. All things I had to catch up on. Whew.

Good thing is this time of year, there are a lot of sales and also a clearing out of last year's products at deeply slashed prices! And it goes hand in hand with skincare; and, as a side benefit, makes me fully aware of the symbiotic relationship between what we put IN our bodies and ON our bodies.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:04 PM   #341
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

again Marsha and so glad to have you back!! Sounds like you have been busy doing a complete make over! New make up, good skincare, lose 30 pounds & eat healthier. That's a tall order. But it's good to have goals set and something to work towards. You have been on a good roll since Super Bowl Day! Congrats!

I was doing pretty good, but then as usual I took a turn towards the dark side and things went real sour. Just a couple of really bad days around Valentines day involving a couple buffets and several fun size candy bars Not even worth me trying to explain it or figure out why because I've finally accepted that I can't ever figure out why I do those things. So, moving on and just hoping to have more positive days than negative ones I have not weighed in a about a week because I know it wont be good I've got 3 trips planned now so I can't procrastinate anymore. Some of you know me from the 'old days' when I could kick it in and make some real progress in a short time if I was against the wall and that's where I am now so I'm going for it. Hope this is not the broken record talking again. We set a new record high temperature here today - normally it would be below zero in February but it was 73 degrees today. I walked 3 miles outside in a t-shirt and then went for a motorcycle ride. Great day. I have to take advantage of these record high forecasted temps and get running my miles. I'm not going to slip anymore, get thru it a day at a time, then a week at a time until I have formed a habit!!! I've got to be ready for that half marathon in Disney in April.

PAC what are you up to??

GB nice to see you enjoying your "Bachelor" show and hanging in there.

Wish you all a great weekend!!
21 Aug 2017 - 139

Last edited by schaferk; 02-17-2017 at 04:07 PM..
Old 02-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #342
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaferk View Post
:

GB nice to see you enjoying your "Bachelor" show and hanging in there.

Wish you all a great weekend!!
Kris
i am not enjoying the show Its more like watching a train wreck or a tornado. you don't enjoy it, you simply want to see how it turns out.

The show is mostly boring. But there are those moments where you want to see what the cheezball is going to actually decide to do.

I fast forward at times too, like when it's supposed to be just watching two people make out in a hot tub. I don't care!!! I am no longer in junior high.

Thanks for your prayers.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:24 PM   #343
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I was doing pretty good, but then as usual I took a turn towards the dark side and things went real sour. Just a couple of really bad days around Valentines day involving a couple buffets and several fun size candy bars Not even worth me trying to explain it or figure out why because I've finally accepted that I can't ever figure out why I do those things. So, moving on and just hoping to have more positive days than negative ones I have not weighed in a about a week because I know it wont be good I've got 3 trips planned now so I can't procrastinate anymore. Some of you know me from the 'old days' when I could kick it in and make some real progress in a short time if I was against the wall and that's where I am now so I'm going for it. Hope this is not the broken record talking again. We set a new record high temperature here today - normally it would be below zero in February but it was 73 degrees today. I walked 3 miles outside in a t-shirt and then went for a motorcycle ride. Great day. I have to take advantage of these record high forecasted temps and get running my miles. I'm not going to slip anymore, get thru it a day at a time, then a week at a time until I have formed a habit!!! I've got to be ready for that half marathon in Disney in April
The goal is great. I don't have a desire to do 26.2, 13.1, or even a 5K; but I am missing running. In anticipation of running on the beach again, I am currently looking for aqua shoes, sand socks, something to protect my feet when I run but not necessarily regular running shoes that will just fill up with sand and become heavy when wet.

And at least when you go to the "dark side", you know what's going on. I mean, I was DEF doing way too much LIL (life into living) and letting things slide, grabbing a Cadbury egg ... or 2 ... already here and there. But then when you decide to buckle down, do it all "right" ... or what you think to be right ... the impatience starts all over again. The thought of being "perfect" for a month let alone what may be at least a three-month period of readjustment, body reset, fat adaption, or whatever just seems impossible. Hour to hour it's doable but what about tomorrow? What about next week? Will I be able to walk past the display of Cadbury Eggs? Oh, sure, I CAN. I have done it. But WILL I? But already it's been an unbelievable almost two weeks of no nuts, no alcohol, no bread (and there is rare bread in the house, so that IS a victory), no chocolate of ANY kind.

And now I've started that vicious cycle of getting on and off the scale at various times of the day. It's why I've resisted because I know I do that. It's not really playing a trick on me, though. I am letting my pants and what I see in the mirror be the arbiter because that's the number I really care about. And *drumroll* I did show a lower number so I will be changing that already! Yay!! So, as of now, I will say I want to lose approximately 38 pounds; but I won't keep repeating that number until I'm .. hopefully ... down a few.

And a word about that 145 goal. If I am being honest and I could snap my fingers, I'd want it to be lower than that. But it should mean my clothes that fit now become looser, the ones that are tight fit right, and maybe ... just maybe ... the few pieces that don't fit at all now I can actually fit into albeit maybe a bit tightly.

Last edited by Madmarsha; 02-17-2017 at 08:32 PM..
Old 02-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #344
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
[/B] i am not enjoying the show Its more like watching a train wreck or a tornado. you don't enjoy it, you simply want to see how it turns out.

The show is mostly boring. But there are those moments where you want to see what the cheezball is going to actually decide to do.

I fast forward at times too, like when it's supposed to be just watching two people make out in a hot tub. I don't care!!! I am no longer in junior high.
Exactly. And the mind numbing, inane conversation. And, again, Corrine ... calling Vanessa for not being "deep".

Last edited by Madmarsha; 02-17-2017 at 08:29 PM..
Old 02-17-2017, 08:29 PM   #345
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Here's something fun we did on Facebook. Maybe it will be fun here. List something you hoard. For me it's toilet paper (not something you ever want to run out and I don't buy Kleenex so no emergency backups!) and underwear. I already knew I had a lot; but in cleaning out my drawer in a bit of anticipatory spring cleaning, I counted. At LEAST 45, not counting what may be in a camisole set or the leftover "granny" panties I haven't gotten rid of yet. How's that for airing "dirty laundry"??

Old 02-18-2017, 05:19 AM   #346
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

OMG Marsha This is So Funny!!! I do little things that I THINK only I do, and then I find out someone else does the very same thing We don't buy Kleenex either - and we have about 10 super big packages of toilet paper (mostly stocked up cause on sale). But also I have SO SO many pairs of underware (a lot with the tags still on them) I have 2 huge drawers full. Victoria's Secret used to send me coupons for free pairs so I have those sitting there and yes the sack of granny panties that I bagged up over 10 years ago. I used to wear those Vanity Fair ones under my pant suits when I worked cause no panty-line. I was really happy with the invention of control top panty hose!! Boy I loved those, so comfy and no lines!! Thanks for the laugh Marsha!!!!!

How about you GB - do you have 100 pairs of underware?!?! I can see you reading this and making that funny "WTH??? face". Sorry you had to hear all the panty talk But you are one of us! SO what are you hoarding hidden in your dresser drawers??

It was so nice here last night that I turned the gas back on and grilled burgers on the grill outside. THAT has never happened in Feb before Actually, they were not good tho. How can you screw up burgers?? Usually I buy the meat, make up my own burgers and throw them on the grill and they are great. Well this time - I had some in the freezer that I had bought pre-made into patties at the store last summer on some big sale. I don't know if it was from being "frozen" or what but they just didn't taste good and were hard. Perhaps I cooked them too long Ate them anyway, used lettuce for a bun and had some broccoli.

So I'm up 4 or 5 pounds from my sig weight (from all this off plan eating) so will have to get that back off which will take a full week most likely. I know how my setbacks work unfortunately Then, I'll have 3 more weeks to get another 10 off for my first trip. I know its probably not quite 'doable' for me. It would be if I had NO slips at all. But with this forecast of an early Spring and warm weather it might be pretty close if I can stay focused. Usually with a 'vacation' on the books I do better
21 Aug 2017 - 139
Old 02-18-2017, 06:48 AM   #347
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
OMG Marsha This is So Funny!!! I do little things that I THINK only I do, and then I find out someone else does the very same thing We don't buy Kleenex either - and we have about 10 super big packages of toilet paper (mostly stocked up cause on sale). But also I have SO SO many pairs of underware (a lot with the tags still on them) I have 2 huge drawers full. Victoria's Secret used to send me coupons for free pairs so I have those sitting there and yes the sack of granny panties that I bagged up over 10 years ago. I used to wear those Vanity Fair ones under my pant suits when I worked cause no panty-line. I was really happy with the invention of control top panty hose!! Boy I loved those, so comfy and no lines!! Thanks for the laugh Marsha!!!!!

How about you GB - do you have 100 pairs of underware?!?! I can see you reading this and making that funny "WTH??? face". Sorry you had to hear all the panty talk But you are one of us! SO what are you hoarding hidden in your dresser drawers??
:
My problem is losing all my underwear But especially socks!!! Where on earth do they go???

I know I have some scattered around in my garage, but not much that I can see. The same thing happens in my painting business with screwdrivers and putty knifes.

Granted, I have never been a very organized person, but I have bought hundreds of screwdrivers and putty knifes over 40 years of being in business and 90% have vanished into thin air.

Sure, one will get left in the plants on a job, but the sheer volume of lost tools is mind boggling. And the same goes for socks. The sock thing is really freaky.

One of my guys might take a tool home and never bring it back, but not my socks! Nobody could covet my socks.

So I'm not about hoarding, I am about buying new ones to replace the lost ones.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:09 PM   #348
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

I've got both of you girls beat with the undies. I'm embarassed to say how many. I just counted. I really need to get rid of some. LOL When I was single and lived alone, I didn't have a washer and dryer. I had to take my clothes down from the second floor apartment, to the car, and to the laundromat. I didn't want to go every week and do small loads, so I made sure I had enough of everything to last at least 2 weeks so I didn't have to go as often. My second apartment had a laundry room in the building, thank God. Anyway, I guess that habit stuck of always having lots and lots of clothes. I rarely get rid of any.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:58 PM   #349
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well, if we want things to talk about, we can't really limit topics to only "mixed company" type of safe topics!! But it's not as if we're talking menopause much in here or, God forbid, breast feeding (yes, that has been a topic at a party I was at a few years ago. I had nothing to add to the convo; but even if I did, certainly, women, we can find better things to discuss!!)

I think our freezer's pretty well cleaned out as we did few "eat this up" things a couple weeks ago and, yeah, def. freezer burn. Not optimal but must be eaten in hopes of a few meat sales coming up. The last 2 days it's been cold (even frost in the morning). Tonight, getting ready to go out, I AM SWEATING! Ridiculous.

It's a hard thing to keep reconciled, forgiving ourselves for the inevitable off plan stuff and realizing that while, yes, we can get right back to it, it DOES alter the course. As I said, I am focused on not eating anything that will raise the insulin more than necessary (not knowing, of course, what my resting insulin even is; but I'm assuming because of the belly fat it's not in the "normal" range).

Old 02-18-2017, 05:05 PM   #350
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I've got both of you girls beat with the undies. I'm embarassed to say how many. I just counted. I really need to get rid of some. LOL When I was single and lived alone, I didn't have a washer and dryer. I had to take my clothes down from the second floor apartment, to the car, and to the laundromat. I didn't want to go every week and do small loads, so I made sure I had enough of everything to last at least 2 weeks so I didn't have to go as often. My second apartment had a laundry room in the building, thank God. Anyway, I guess that habit stuck of always having lots and lots of clothes. I rarely get rid of any.
Glad it's not just me. I do get rid of them when they are just beyond hope (frayed, holy, elastic spent); but there is NOTHING like a new pair of undies!! Then, of course, you get some that are just not comfy so when I do find ones that are, THOSE I like to stock up on in case I can't ever find them again. (not many are Victoria's Secret. I wish I got free pair offers, but I guess I'd have to spend more money there!! I'm a Hanes or Fruit of the Loom girl most of the time!). Yeah, I joke about not having to do laundry for a month; but the truth is, I DO have favorite pairs of undies that I reach for more frequently and others don't get worn at all. This is part of my strategy in organization now to put different styles in those drawer organizer thingies and spread the "love" around more!

Come on, GB, I want to hear how a man organizes his skivvies because I CANNOT figure my husband out. I'm like, Please let me buy you more underwear (I ask because I don't really know what he likes), and he's like, No, I don't need any (as he continues to wear threadbare ones! Argggg!!!)

Old 02-18-2017, 05:12 PM   #351
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
My problem is losing all my underwear But especially socks!!! Where on earth do they go???

I know I have some scattered around in my garage, but not much that I can see. The same thing happens in my painting business with screwdrivers and putty knifes.

Granted, I have never been a very organized person, but I have bought hundreds of screwdrivers and putty knifes over 40 years of being in business and 90% have vanished into thin air.

Sure, one will get left in the plants on a job, but the sheer volume of lost tools is mind boggling. And the same goes for socks. The sock thing is really freaky.

One of my guys might take a tool home and never bring it back, but not my socks! Nobody could covet my socks.

So I'm not about hoarding, I am about buying new ones to replace the lost ones.
Man, I always wondered. I thought it was just me that kept having to buy screwdrivers because you can never find the one you need. You wonder when you go to the store, WHO is buying all these screwdrivers? Are they really something that goes obsolete? lol

And def. true about the socks, though, I am OCD about keeping pairs together (esp. my running socks). It's def. a full-time hobby, that. And though I know this isn't your problem, I was wondering what to do with old pantyhose and socks. I don't throw away and I know old pantyhose has some use but not for any projects I have. I just don't know where to recycle them so they are in a bag in the hall closet. Sooner or later there'll be another oil spill and I can send them along then.

And not just socks, but LIDS! It's impractical to keep bowls in the cupboard with lids on, but they are out of control in the basket I bought to "keep them organized". Worked for a while but I kept saving too many used Breyer's gelato containers (OOPS, BUSTED!) that I just didn't want to throw away because they are useful.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:17 PM   #352
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Marsha, I do throw away any that get holes, stretched out elastic, etc. I can't abide ratty undies. It's the old "what if you're in an accident" thing, and the older I get, the more chance there is of that. I buy all of DHs underwear. In fact, I don't think he could buy any clothes if I wasn't with him to tell him what size he wears. He has no clue. It's so cute, because we will be shopping in Kohls and he will come over to me with shirts in his hand and say "What size do I wear?" I asked him what he's going to do if I die and he said he will go into the dressing room and take his shirt off and see what size it is. It's close to impossible to get him to try anything on in the store.

Marsha, I never knew you very well before, and I don't think I have ever seen you post this much. I'm not complaining! I love the activity here and the topics!! LOL

As far as my weight loss is concerned, I keep going up and down the same few pounds. I do aim for lower carb since I have diabetes and starchy carbs spike my blood sugar. My main problem is bread products. I have been off sweets for a few years now and luckily they don't interest me at all.

Today I got something in email where Dr Mercola is talking about how healthy IF is. He was speaking mostly of the daily eating window of 6-8 hours. That is my intention daily, but I seem to get to snacking in the evening, a dilemma of the American Diet. It's not really junk food that's the problem, it's the fact that anything I eat is breaking my fast, even healthy food. It's a hard habit to break. What type of IF do you do, Marsha, a daily window, or longer term fasting? I have an appointment with the cardiologist on June 1 and I would really like to be down about 10 lbs by then, and definitely in Onederland again. It's been so long since I've seen it.

GB, the neatest room in my house is DH's garage. He is anal about putting his tools away in the right place. He has his screw drivers and wrenches lined up by size. He knows immediately if his son or son-in-law uses a tool and doesn't put it back where it belongs. Of course these are his personal tools, not far a business, and usually it's just him who's using them.

Kris, DH would not eat a frozen pre-cooked burger. I freeze burgers myself when I buy meat and DH also says they seem to be tough when they are not cooked from fresh meat. We prefer them on the George Foreman Grill. Most of my other meat I put in air tight bags with the Food Saver so I don't usually have freezer burn.

We have also been having exceptionally warm weather. We were out without jackets today and the neighbors were sitting out on their porch. Sitting on the porch is a big thing here in our little neighborhood of elderly people. We all bought our houses around the same time and raised our families. Now we are starting to go to each other funerals.

Wonder if Seabreezes is back from her cruise.

Last edited by PACarolsue; 02-18-2017 at 07:26 PM..
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:02 PM   #353
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Marsha, I never knew you very well before, and I don't think I have ever seen you post this much. I'm not complaining! I love the activity here and the topics!! LOL
Yeah, I was away for a while. Wasn't sure I'd be back but I've gotta get myself restarted. I was also following the thread on chemical peels; and since I've a renewed interest in skincare, that brought me back here, too.
Quote:
Today I got something in email where Dr Mercola is talking about how healthy IF is. He was speaking mostly of the daily eating window of 6-8 hours. That is my intention daily, but I seem to get to snacking in the evening, a dilemma of the American Diet. It's not really junk food that's the problem, it's the fact that anything I eat is breaking my fast, even healthy food. It's a hard habit to break. What type of IF do you do, Marsha, a daily window, or longer term fasting? I have an appointment with the cardiologist on June 1 and I would really like to be down about 10 lbs by then, and definitely in Onederland again. It's been so long since I've seen it.
I think IF is gonna be the next big thing, if it's not already. I get why people just want plans that say "eat this, don't eat that" because the physiology behind it all is so complicated; and we are all different. I can do 16/8 easily, usually; but the last two days have been hard. So, I just ate because I felt like I couldn't function. Dr. Jason Fung's "The Obesity Code", I believe, covers this, resetting the body's insulin. I haven't read it yet, but I follow a group that follows him.
Quote:
He has his screw drivers and wrenches lined up by size. He knows immediately if his son or son-in-law uses a tool and doesn't put it back where it belongs. Of course these are his personal tools, not far a business, and usually it's just him who's using them
Having a place to put them is key. Also key is putting them back. We kind of have a place but my husband never replaces them and then when he needs it the next time asks ME where it is. I give up trying to be his mother. Same thing happened with his wedding ring. He lost it and expected me to find it ... so he hasn't had a wedding ring for years.

I aspire to do that vacuum sealing thing but it never lasts. Normally we eat it up fast enough it doesn't really matter.

So hungry right now from cleaning out my closet. My clothes were okay but I needed to organize the rest. Got two big bags for Goodwill to go. I really aspire to be minimalist, but it's emotionally hard to let go of some stuff. There used to be a show called "Clean Sweep" and half of the organizer's job was dealing with the psychology of why we hang on to so much "stuff" that in our heads is valuable but we're not enjoying it. Weirdest thing I found that I didn't know I had was my Dad's chest X-ray from 1947 (I think my sister shoved it in my hand while we were cleaning out the house and then I just shoved it in the closet). Hate to get rid of it, but what am I keeping it for?

Old 02-19-2017, 06:20 AM   #354
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Good Morning !! I too am so happy to see the thread buzzing again.

I get rid of worn out under garments, but the thing is I hardly ever wear anything out. I also have 2 big flat drawers each full of neatly arranged lacy colorful bras but I hardly every wear them at all. Now that I'm retired I'm in a big ole sports bra that covers everything and is really tight. Doesn't sound comfortable but it is. I have 3 and just keep wearing them all the time - they seem to last FOREVER, think they are made out of titanium.

I love to do IF. I think its really great but sometimes hard to fit it into the life I have. I do pretty good at it, I'd say 70% of the time I eat in a 6 hour window and never get hungry late at night, if we are staying at home. Problem is if we go out with people they want to eat at a normal time
I don't lose eating that way tho unless I'm still watching carbs and calories too actually. It's SO worth it when I get down to goal tho. I keep trying to pound that into my head cause it really is. My trip is 4 weeks from tomorrow so I'm really trying to stay focused this time.
21 Aug 2017 - 139

Last edited by schaferk; 02-19-2017 at 06:21 AM..
Old 02-19-2017, 06:23 AM   #355
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

I struggled, and didn't eat after dinner yesterday, and I am down 1.5 lbs to .5 lb over my ticker. I also drank a bottle of water in the evening. That had me up twice during the night, but it was worth it to get some weight off.

Marsha, I think IF has really caught on. Plus I think it's really nothing new, just a proper name for it. I remember back in the 60s my friend and I went on a diet and we strictly didn't eat anything after 6 PM. That's the same thing as IF. I grew up that way. We ate our meals but there was never any eating between meals, or after dinner. We never even considered it. If it was someone's birthday, my mother baked a cake. So cake 5 times a year. Eating has really changed since then. People have more money and snacks are more available. People go shopping and stop at the Food Court.

I have read Obesity Code and follow Dr Fung's blog on the internet. I have found that he recommends longer and longer fasts. There is a Fung Fasting thread, and it seems like people are trying to out-fast each other, seeing who can fast the longest. It's supposed to be really healthy according to Fung and some others, but to me it seems obsessive. People post there for a while then eventually drop off, because it is really not sustainable long term. I think Dr Fung's intentions were to do the longer fasts occasionally, but some people have the thinking that if 2 days is good, 5 days is better, and 10 days is even better than that. I don't mean to criticize those who find that long term fasting is beneficial to them. I just wonder about those who are doing it because everyone else is doing it. What happens after you reach your goal weight? You have to eat eventually, and do you gain back all your lost?

Dr Mercola's article said that we should be eating 2 meals per day, spaced in our eating window, but normal size meals....not forcing 3 meals of food into 2 meals. There are some people who eat a really large meal because they know they don't get to eat again until the next day. We need to get rid of that thinking.

Every other day fasting is good, too. 500 cals on the off days, normal on the eating days. It can mess with your social life, though. I think Kris should do the 500 cals on her days away from friends so she can eat when she's socializing. If she starts to socialize every day, she's in trouble. LOL

DH and I both outgrew our wedding rings. I have had 2 other sets since then, one gold and one white gold, which is what I wear now. But he never got a new one and it never bothers me that he doesn't wear one. He's not going anywhere. It's really funny though, how many women start talking to him everywhere we go. I think they see no ring and think he's available. It's not like he's some hunk. He's 74 years old, half bald and the rest gray. But he does attract the women. He's very quiet, so they can yak and yak and all he does is smile and nod. Women like that. LOL

I definitely am a hoarder. I mostly wear the same clothes over and over. I should pick out my favorite outfits and donate the rest. It would be like a breath of fresh air, but when I start cleaning out the closet I see something I haven't worn for a while and get excited that it would be like wearing a new top. I do get rid of some occasionally. I just got rid of a box full of shoes. Off to Goodwill they go. I definitely would never have to buy another article of clothing for the rest of my life.

Maybe I'll do a Clean Sweep starting now into summer. I have a ton of nice capri outfits that I wear in the summer. It seems that I'm always "saving" them for when I go somewhere, and keeping the crappy stuff for around the house. When the lady across the street comes out to sit on the porch, she's always wearing a nice matching outfit. Sometimes I want to get ready for bed and sit out there in my nightgown, but DH won't let me. Ha Ha He's embarassed.

Last edited by PACarolsue; 02-19-2017 at 06:28 AM..
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:28 AM   #356
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Kris, we were posting at the same time. I would think that IF would work for you if you did some 500 cal days when you weren't going out. Then you could comfortably eat when out with friends. Did you ever try that? Just trying to help you find something that works for you, even though I don't think you are that overweight. I know that it's more than you want to weigh. Still, you are maintaining a decent weight.

Sports bras are uncomfortable for me. My step daughter wears them all the time and loves them. My girls seem to be too big for them. I need underwires to feel comfortable.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:33 AM   #357
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

One time I said that I was going to work my way through my closet and see how long I could go without wearing the same thing twice. That would be fun. But I would still have to do laundry to wash DH's stuff, and I would have a really big wash day when it was all over. Maybe I could just throw the things out after I wore them. Ha Ha

I remember when my mother had wash day it was an all day thing. Down the cellar washing the clothes. Carrying them upstairs, outside to hang on the line. Taking things down as they dried, and hanging up the next group. I don't have a laundry day. When we have enough of something to make a full load, it gets washed. No rhyme or reason.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:44 AM   #358
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Kris, we were posting at the same time. I would think that IF would work for you if you did some 500 cal days when you weren't going out. Then you could comfortably eat when out with friends. Did you ever try that? Just trying to help you find something that works for you, even though I don't think you are that overweight. I know that it's more than you want to weigh. Still, you are maintaining a decent weight.

Sports bras are uncomfortable for me. My step daughter wears them all the time and loves them. My girls seem to be too big for them. I need underwires to feel comfortable.
PAC My Sports Bra's are underwire. I don't wear anything that isn't underwire as I am not comfortable either unless there is an underwire. The ones I have are the gel covered padded underwire type. Sounds horrible I know but I really love them. When I jog/attempt to run I have to have the really tight underwire sports bra. Speaking of that, it's almost 9:00 here, warming up nicely to be another 70 degree February day so I'm about to go RUN. I'm just starting the running so I'm doing the run for 60 seconds/walk for 60 seconds right now. I know it will turn cold again and we will have another hard freeze during March but I'm getting in all the outside exercise I can!!!

I do what you are suggesting I think - if I've gone out with buds and eaten a lot one day then the next day I really try to either fast or keep it really low cal and no carbs. But trouble is like you said - things keep coming up and TOO MANY nights going out. But yes I'm still trying right now to do that!
21 Aug 2017 - 139

Last edited by schaferk; 02-19-2017 at 06:46 AM..
Old 02-19-2017, 07:06 AM   #359
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah, my sports bras last me. And I have probably 7 or 8. But they are making them cuter and cuter and I'll see one and go, Oooohhh, and really have to talk myself out of buying one. And speaking of socks (heh), I didn't count but I have a TON of sports socks. And, same thing. I'll see cuter ones and go, Ooooohhh. Of course, they do get a ton of wear and washing (my exercise clothes, because I don't want wear and tear on the spandex, get hand washed, but socks HAVE to be machine washed) so having a lot of them makes sense.

I'm a breakfast skipper during the week so IF should be really easy for me. And thanks for the heads up on the Fung thread here. I won't be joining that one.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:35 AM   #360
GoBahnsen
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
PAC My Sports Bra's are underwire. I don't wear anything that isn't underwire as I am not comfortable either unless there is an underwire. The ones I have are the gel covered padded underwire type. Sounds horrible I know but I really love them. When I jog/attempt to run I have to have the really tight underwire sports bra. Speaking of that, it's almost 9:00 here, warming up nicely to be another 70 degree February day so I'm about to go RUN. I'm just starting the running so I'm doing the run for 60 seconds/walk for 60 seconds right now. I know it will turn cold again and we will have another hard freeze during March but I'm getting in all the outside exercise I can!!!

I do what you are suggesting I think - if I've gone out with buds and eaten a lot one day then the next day I really try to either fast or keep it really low cal and no carbs. But trouble is like you said - things keep coming up and TOO MANY nights going out. But yes I'm still trying right now to do that!
the thread is buzzing Kris Hi PAC, Marsha

I don't have much to say. Good to hear you found some nice winter weather to run in Kris.