Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-01-2013, 01:11 AM   #1141
watcher513
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciejean View Post
Why can't any one ,some one please tell me if this is correct :bg numbers from 70 to 100 is not diabetic and if numbers from 100 to 120 is pre -diabetic,and from 120 up is full blown diabeties ?Every body say numbers differant,so what is correct ??
When my hubby was dx'd 6.5 years ago (Type 2) we went to a class once a week for 4 weeks. They told us that pre-diabetes is 100-125 and diabetes is 126 and above.

Now, I've heard that they (whoever They are) lower the numbers every so often but I haven't seen it happen yet. Evidently years ago the level was higher.

Sorry for the double post. The first one went blank so I didn't think it posted, even after a refresh of the page.

Last edited by watcher513; 08-01-2013 at 01:12 AM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #1142
Aomiel
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciejean
Why can't any one ,some one please tell me if this is correct :bg numbers from 70 to 100 is not diabetic and if numbers from 100 to 120 is pre -diabetic,and from 120 up is full blown diabeties ?Every body say numbers differant,so what is correct ??
Depends on who you ask. The ADA, Mayo Clinic and a few others don't consider you diabetic until you hit 125. Some others say anything over 100 or 110 or <insert number here>. Most agree that 100-124 is pre-diabetic and anything under that is 'normal'.

If normal is under 100, why do they accept higher standards for those with the genetic predisposition for diabetes? I'm thinking it's because they're trying to give realistic goals for diabetics since most diabetics will not eat the way they need to in order to get numbers under 100.

A more accurate measure, rather than the individual BG numbers is your A1c because it gives an average for what your BG has been doing over the previous 90 days. An A1c of 4-5.4 are considered to be in a healthy range; 5.5-6.4 are considered pre-diabetic and anything above 6.4 is considered diabetic.

I follow Dr. Bernstein (Diabetes Solution) who believes that diabetics (Type 1 and 2) should be using minimal medication and the way we do that is by eating in a way that doesn't put a great demand for insulin on our body. Type 1's will always take insulin. Type 2's have a chance to get off meds, depending on how burned out their own pancreas is, if they eat correctly. That was my goal.

Oh and just a side note...your numbers do not necessarily indicate whether or not you are a diabetic. Keep in mind that once a diabetic, always a diabetic. You may control it with diet alone...but you're still a diabetic. I have to monitor both my protein and keep my carbs under 25 in order to get under 100. My last A1c was 4.9 which means I'm 'averaging' out at around 90-94 for my BG...without meds...but I'm still a diabetic. Just under control with diet. If I go back to the higher carb way of eating, my BG's will go up.

Last edited by Aomiel; 08-01-2013 at 06:23 AM..
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #1143
Aomiel
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Michael,
Great progress! Isn't it exciting to get those BG numbers down? I always thought it was more exciting than seeing the scale go down (although that didn't hurt either).
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:51 AM   #1144
ventnor1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ventnor1
Yes, I read and reread Dr. Bernstein's book. I have had Type 2 for 30 years and am now on insulin. For the last year, I tried low carb, gluten free, sugar free but have lost only 6 pounds. I gave that up and now my blood sugars are skyrocketing! How do you stay on Dr. Bernstein's diet? ( I really believe that is the only way I can control diabetes, but is there a meal plan you stick to or do you just wing it. I know the 6/12/12 but how do you incorporate it into a daily plan? Thank you!
ventnor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:45 AM   #1145
Joyce
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Joyce
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventnor1 View Post
Yes, I read and reread Dr. Bernstein's book. I have had Type 2 for 30 years and am now on insulin. For the last year, I tried low carb, gluten free, sugar free but have lost only 6 pounds. I gave that up and now my blood sugars are skyrocketing! How do you stay on Dr. Bernstein's diet? ( I really believe that is the only way I can control diabetes, but is there a meal plan you stick to or do you just wing it. I know the 6/12/12 but how do you incorporate it into a daily plan? Thank you!
When my doctor told me insulin causes weight gain, I just gave up! My insulin requirements are huge. Finally, I suppose I simply got mad at myself for eating myself into a very fluffy old woman. At only 5'1" and 230.6 lbs and seeing Betty White in her 90s with such an active life while I hobble around using a walker, I decided it was time to change my eating habits and learn to eat to live and quit living to eat. Yes, it's easier said than done. I've been there, done that before. Now I'm 83 and doing it again - this time, for life. In just three days, my blood glucose went from 250+ before dinner to only 110 before dinner! So, the rewards are almost instant. Oh - I'm unable to take any oral meds, and must rely on insulin or low carb meals to control my BG.

However, I'm unable to cook much, and I have no meal plans past one day. I read every label, and log every bite that goes into my mouth counting carbs and net carbs. If I have two eggs for breakfast, that's only 2 carbs and I feel full. A salad may be only 4-6. A hamburger with yellow mustard is zero. I had mine with some slices of cucumber. So far I have not been hungry and my carb totals are very low - not close to the allowed carbs. This morning I had a large skillet full of bacon [about 6 slices], then fried my eggs in the bacon grease. Carbs? Only 2.

Oh, and the side effect of low carb eating is weight loss. Plus a word I'm taking out of my vocabulary is DIET. I'm not on a diet; I'm managing my diabetes.

I use a software program that contains a database of ingredients and will go online to get the info if necessary, or I can add my own. I'm a newbie here and I'm not sure about naming the program. It's for a Mac and has the word "Tracker" in it. LOL It also allows me to log my BG numbers and finally print out different reports for my doctor.

Joyce
Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:29 AM   #1146
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/199.5/? 5'2"
WOE: JUDDD, reduced carb
Start Date: Tomorrow
I'd like to wake up this sticky! I just recently started reading the diabetes threads and it is encouraging me to be more diligent with avoiding starchy carbs. I can do this, but I've been slipping lately and have noticed a difference in my blood glucose readings and also in how I feel. I don't want to take more meds. Reading the posts here reminds me that this is about so much more than weight loss for me.
PACarolsue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #1147
SpikersMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SpikersMom
Stats: 180 highest ever/161/145
WOE: limit AS/Fung fasting/being mindful
Start Date: 6/27/2016
Hi CarolSue I'm glad you're waking up this sticky! I have been slipping too, for the past couple of months, but I'm think I'm back on track now.
SpikersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:14 PM   #1148
Portia
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Portia
Stats: 60 lbs gone!
WOE: My own plan
I hadn't seen this thread in forever. I wonder what happened to Aomiel?

Portia's Journal
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #1149
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Portia! It seems that some people just drop off the forum without warning. Makes you wonder why. Good to see you're doing well.

Nan, what did you do to get back on track? My reading have been creeping up lately and I am working on getting a little stricter with the carbs sneaking in. I have DR Bernstein's book that I bought when I was first diagnosed. I need to get it out and read through it again to give myself a refresher. That and Blood Sugar 101. I recently bought Protein Power Lifestyle Plan at Goodwill for $1. They have a lot of interesting information in there regarding insulin and insulin resistance. You can never slack off with this.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:05 AM   #1150
Portia
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Portia
Stats: 60 lbs gone!
WOE: My own plan
Nope, no slacking it's true. Although as my weight has dropped, I don't have to be as tight with my macros.

I also never went as high fat as others here. My CDE likes to keep it more moderate (she's a diabetic on LC herself). My fats come more from nuts, avocados, olives, fish and less from mayo and fatty meats. Not that I won't have fatty meat - I'll use bacon as a salad mix-in and I make ribs/wings from time to time - but it's not a daily staple.

This also makes it much easier to cook for my family, who are moderate carb and therefore need to keep the fat lower. Not low. Just lower than some here.

Portia's Journal
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:26 PM   #1151
SpikersMom
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SpikersMom
Stats: 180 highest ever/161/145
WOE: limit AS/Fung fasting/being mindful
Start Date: 6/27/2016
Decided to drop my carbs really low. Now I have been feeling it this past week - really feel crappy in the afternoons. It's that low carb flu. Been better today. I have not lost much weight - maybe a pound. But my morning fasting numbers have been below 100 every day since I started. My goal is my glucose numbers. I think the weight loss will be very slow, but I'm okay with that.
SpikersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:48 PM   #1152
MamaMcD
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MamaMcD
Stats: 212/208/160
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 5/1/2015
Hello!

I'm 37 and have type 1 diabetes and Addison's Disease (primary adrenal failure). So much fun... lol!

I have been diabetic for 25 years and while my weight has definitely fluctuated, the addition of daily hydrocortisone and fludrocortisone is wreaking havoc on my poor waistline! I'm up to 212lbs and miserable.

My goal is not to get into ketosis, per say, but to work on lowering my intake of carbs and try to eat more REAL food.

I've been doing this since 5/1 and fallen off the wagon a couple of times already due to headaches and feeling terrible - even though my blood sugars aren't low. Obviously I'm more of a carb addict than I realized! Been behaving myself for the last 2 days and just looking for some support from you awesome people so I don't quit again! I think the steroids are what is hampering my weight loss the most... so if you have any experience dealing with that, I'd love to hear it!

Oh, I've also started working with a personal trainer once a week. Hoping that will help with toning!

Nice to meet you all! <3
MamaMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:51 PM   #1153
MamaMcD
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MamaMcD
Stats: 212/208/160
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 5/1/2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikersMom View Post
Decided to drop my carbs really low. Now I have been feeling it this past week - really feel crappy in the afternoons. It's that low carb flu. Been better today. I have not lost much weight - maybe a pound. But my morning fasting numbers have been below 100 every day since I started. My goal is my glucose numbers. I think the weight loss will be very slow, but I'm okay with that.

Hey Nan,

Amazing morning numbers! I'd love to be under 100 most mornings.

I'm definitely in the Low Carb Flu right now too! Trying my best to push through and not give up though. Hang in there!
MamaMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:17 PM   #1154
berighteous
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: berighteous
Stats: 320's/258/200
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2012
Got labs back today. Hadn't been to the doc in a year or more and haven't been as good as I could be, but when they called and threatened to stop prescribing my metformin I got back on the wagon and have started to get on track.

Doc's uptight about the Cholesterol numbers, but my triglycerides are normal and the ratios chol/hdl tri/hdl etc are in the normal range. My A1C is higher than a year ago, but I've only been good 2 of the 3 months the A1c measures. I told him I'd work hard on my diet and exercise and see if I can get my A1c to 6 or better and see how the choesterol numbers change over 2 cycles - 6 months.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:52 AM   #1155
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Berighteous, your blood glucose numbers and A1c are still so much better than they were when diagnosed, although I see that you have slipped a bit. I did the same thing, was very diligent, and then slacked off. I believe that getting back on track with eating and exercise will get you where the doc wants you to be. Never give up!!

My doctor will also not prescribe meds if I haven't been there in 12 months. They have to do that to protect themselves.

Last edited by PACarolsue; 06-27-2015 at 08:53 AM..
Old 07-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #1156
Sojodave
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sojodave
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: September 2014
I was diagnosed last September with Type 2. My A1c was 8.9 and my triglycerides to hdl was 3.89 and I weighed 235. I went lchf and now I weigh 185 and I'm in the normal bmi range, my last A1c was 5.0 and my hdl to triglycerides ratio was 1.13. My average fbg over the last month has been 94. I am so glad I found lchf and I feel so much better than I did this time last year.
Sojodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:27 AM   #1157
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

You have done a great job Sojodave, in losing weight and correcting your A1c. Keep up the good work!
Old 08-30-2015, 06:37 AM   #1158
cdpm
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cdpm
WOE: atkins induction
new blood

hi
Im 50 and type 2 diabetic, diagnosed in
I presently use 13 units of lantus at bedtime
and am increasing that slowly up to
whatever amount will achieve a decent
fasting level when i get up ( a 5 maybe?)
My last A1C was 8 and my 7 day metre average
reads 7.8.
i've tried a few different diabetic meds including
metformin in it's different forms and some different
doses but cant tolerate it.
I eat as low carb as i can manage and still have
food to eat as i dont like meat but am not
vegetarian.
I exercise daily from 30-60 minutes.
not heavy stuff just a walk.
But the numbers stay high and i dont know what
else to do.
is it time for a short/fast acting insulin at meals?
i'm considering atkins induction then when im used
to that if i dont see better numbers then maybe going
to 0 carbs.
but still wonder if its time for fast acting mealtime
insulin.
im not totally familiar with fast acting insulins
so maybe its taken at other times - not sure.
just saying mealtimes so i can explain my
point better.
thanks
cdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:01 AM   #1159
Grinandbearit
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Grinandbearit
Diagnosed myself with T2 August 6th. Thirsty all the time, ears ringing, eyes blurry. My blood glucose was 428 i immediately stopped all sugar, and a week later, after research, most all carbs. My blood sugar readings are now always under 100. My A1c was 8.2 and I will check it again in October. So far so good!
Grinandbearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:36 AM   #1160
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Grinandbearit, did you do all this without consulting a doctor? I am not criticizing, but commending you. You have made the improvements to your health and that's what's important, especially without meds. In some cases it's smarter to do it this way as you will not have anything on your medical records that indicate any diabetes. That can be detrimental in some cases, as for insurance and sometimes employment. Keep up the good work!
Old 10-31-2015, 04:30 PM   #1161
haferchamp
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
I have been reading all the posts about letting more carbs creap back into the diet and I confess I have been on this low carb way of eating off and on for a couple of years now. I think i'm doing good, then the blood tests tell me different. I have finally figured out what works for me is to keep a food journal on the table and to write down everything I eat when I sit down at the table. Having it in print and keeping a tally of my days carb totals keep me in check. Otherwise it's too easy for me to cheat and not pay attention. The only one i'm cheating here is me. It's not easy but its necessary. Good luck to all that are going thru this journey. Find what works for you and stick to it.
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:49 PM   #1162
((Monkee))
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ((Monkee))
Stats: (Highest 350) 258.8/255.8/199 (-3.0)
WOE: LowCal
Start Date: April 2010 (Recommitted 5/17/16)
Got my A1C results today and I am at 6.4 which is slightly higher than my last reading of 6.2. My goal now is to get into the 5's!

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of
getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into
small manageable tasks and then starting on the first one.”
– Mark Twain
((Monkee)) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:29 PM   #1163
Star123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Star123
Stats: 208/190/128 @ 5`5"
WOE: mediterranean/LC living ;)
Start Date: Restart 6/12/2016
Hi. I'm 53 yrs and my doc told me I was prediabetic a few years back. Was told to eat right and exercise, but wasn't prescribed any meds for that. So I let my health and eating habits slide. Gained 60 pounds over the years. I'm due for getting my blood work done, so will get that done this coming week. Any suggestions? Have been cutting back on bad carbs and junk food... lost about 3 pounds this past week. Yeah!

Thanks Tammy

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!" Phillipians 4:13

Last edited by Star123; 01-16-2016 at 12:32 PM..
Star123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:56 AM   #1164
texasdebb
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: texasdebb
Stats: 170/166/146
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: November 22, 2015
A very quiet thread. I was hoping for information on insulin resistance and metformin. I was just diagnosed as pre diabetic a few months ago. My fbs is 93-113 in the morning. A1c is 5.9. I started lchf the first of November. After initially losing 5 pounds (water weight I'm sure!) I've lost nothing. I've tweaked my macros cut out nuts and cheese. Nothing. I'm wondering i.e. Suspect it must be insulin resistance. Don't totally understand but I'll keep researching. Doctor appt this afternoon with lots of questions.
texasdebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:05 PM   #1165
grandmaflip
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: grandmaflip
Seattle,
Been there many times! Sometimes I'd get into a funk and quit testing, eat pretty much whatever I wanted, etc., but I always got my A1c's done on time.
Those numbers would kick my ___ back into gear. I'm lucky I haven't suffered any permanent damage so far. Now, I am low carbing and my glucose readings are back to normal. I even tried therapy to see why I cared so little about my life that I wouldn't control my sugar. The therapist was a man about as big as a pencil who had no clue about someone who would run off the road to grab that last French fry from the floor board.
So, eat low carb and know that you can do this! We're all in this together!

Laura
grandmaflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:01 AM   #1166
Drsuzy555
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Drsuzy555
Diabetic newby

I found this board because I had bought some carb quick and was looking for some recipes, I tore the box apart because the recipes were inside and then I couldn't read them! So they said the recipes were by Chef Greg prior Gregory prior which led me to this board I'm very grateful and will become in active member here. Diabetic low carb since 9/28/2016. Morning readings usually 110 with 40Uinsulin at night. I've released 25 pounds.
Also practice the 12 steps of Overeaters anonymous
Suzy
Ft Worth Tx
Drsuzy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:10 PM   #1167
cheri
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
You probably already found recipes but here are the two biggest threads that have a lot of carbquick recipes.. Also, do a search on the recipes help and suggestions board.. Most of them are there...

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=255923

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=277911

I used to live to eat... now I eat to live!
Don't be a victim of Dieters remorse.. Don't cheat.. stay on plan!

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:39 AM   #1168
Drsuzy555
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Drsuzy555
Living A LC DIABETIC life

Numbers this morning 115 BS. 40 gems insulin. 175 weight
Drsuzy555 is offline   Reply With Quote