Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 05-11-2017, 08:40 AM   #61
shelley
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shelley
Tammy....if you are new to NDT (what type do you take?), do not go rogue. I've been doing this for over 30 years and was well optimized until getting a new doctor who cold turkey-d me off everything I was well optimized on. Now that I know about the brain injury/concussion and TSH connection, I'm back to what I used to take and functioned well on.

Your 15 mg is probably to see how you do with T3 in your system if you are on NDT and not Synthroid/T4 only meds. I see you are in Canada, so maybe you are taking Erfa?

Have you had tests run? I hope so for a good baseline for you. Free T4 and Free T3 and antibodies are the ones you want. Keep track of your tests. Demand to have copies of everything. You will find it is helpful years down the road.

It takes 6-8 weeks for T4 to fully convert to T3 for follow up testing, so they usually want to see how you do on the T3 part (if you are taking natural desiccated thyroid/NDT). Some people can't tolerate any! I have a friend that has heart palpitations with even 2 mcg of T3. So, it sounds like your naturopath is starting slow so you don't have any side effects. Hang in there. At least you found someone to help, and it sounds she is starting you with just 2 weeks before upping the dose. She sounds like a keeper! Go slow!!!

Several of us have been on this forum for years and years (I have come and gone) and will tell you to "go slow", but to learn all you can. This forum is a great place.

I took the IGF-1 test yesterday and hope to have the results to see how my pituitary is working with thyroid output. It might be the missing link for me. I had the PTH test done about 5 years ago and it was fine (pituitary), but the *wrong* pituitary test for a brain injury. We are all learning and continue to learn which is why I share when there is something "off"/something "found" that may help someone else. I'm glad nobody else here had a concussion/brain injury who learned this already, but maybe someone will in the future, or someone still not doing well with say "oh my, I had this or that happen......" and be able to go forward with what I share. With my FT4 and FT3 levels below range, the docs still thought I was over medicated with a TSH that was below 1.0. Good grief!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2017, 03:55 PM   #62
shelley
Senior LCF Member

Got the results of the IGF-1 test. I am at the low end of the range and should be mid to 1/3 of the top of the range, so now I know the TSH test is invalid for me for sure with the concussion/traumatic brain injury.

With this test, you have to be careful as it's specific to age and gender, and the ranges from the lab do not tell you this and are quite "generic' for babies through old age, male and female. Like all things, it's up to us/patient to do our own research if we care about our own health.

I hope to feel better soon under the care of an acupuncturist who agrees with what I am doing....but she can't Rx the NDT for me, so I need to find a doc who will listen and agree to the facts I have discovered in medical documents (which I have printed off). Some info from the Mayo Clinic...so not a fly by night outfit!
Old 05-14-2017, 08:43 AM   #63
shelley
Senior LCF Member

Hello and goodbye.

I decided to see how many people were viewing the comments I was making. I feel like I've been talking to a myself and not getting feedback of any kind. I've been offering ideas with massive amounts of research and testing. I've asked for thoughts, etc., and yet, in the last 12 hours, there have been nearly 50 people who have read my posts. Of those 50, not one has cared enough to respond or say a word of encouragement, shared their thoughts or anything at all. I'm being left to talk to myself when I'm trying to share my research and trying to help others.

I am no longer going to offer any more of my research or information to this group. So much for "support".
Old 05-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #64
emily1965
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: emily1965
Stats: 320/179
WOE: VSG 5/10/11 plus healthy choices
The traumatic brain injury often affects the pituitary, which is what produces TSH. Often, when the pituitary is injured, it is no longer able to make some of it's signaling hormones for thyroid and adrenals. They need to disregard TSH completely and go only by Free T4 and Free T3.

Try googling combinations of traumatic brain injury / pituitary / thyroid. Or even pituitary and hypothyroid.

Take pride in how far you have come and have faith in how far you can go.

CIAC
emily1965 is offline   Reply With Quote