Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-23-2017, 08:43 AM   #1
Kalyke
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kalyke
HFLC on the road!

I had to visit a hospital in a larger city the other day. After my appointment, and on the way out of town, I began thinking of getting some lunch. I encountered the problem that a lot of dieters do, that is; where it was safe to eat. If you want, why not add your ideas to this so people can find places to eat while out-and-about.

I passed lots of fast food operations. I kept thinking "buns," "breading," "mystery meat," until I saw a Wal-mart on the way out of town, and thought "I'll go through the grocery section." So in the end, I went to the deli, and got a cut up 1/4 pound piece of hard salami, and a bit of cheese. Other things that can come from grocery stores are those pouches of Tuna and some mayo packets and small pre-made salads (you can mix up a tuna salad and have it with your lettuce). Another place you can get food on the fly, but more of a restaurant sit-down situation is a place that serves breakfast 24 hours. You can get a plate of eggs, sausage bacon, possibly an omelet,and maybe a side salad, or vegetables.

People who are lucky enough to find "full service" delis in grocery stores, can get things like ribs with no sauce, or baked chicken. I found that some gas stations in this area have Larado Taco Companies in them, where they have delicious puerco rojo, or puerco verde, you just ask for the meat in a deli container, instead of on a taco. (People are often more sensitive if you mutter something about being gluten intolerant).

Then there are salads. I don't get the salad with the meat on it, because the meat is often breaded. If you know what you will be getting, it is okay.

I do not really trust anything with salad dressing already on it. I tend to think that most of them have sugar (high fructose corn syrup) in them. You can get various single serving sizes of mayo, or salad dressing, you just need to make sure they have acceptable ingredients.
Kalyke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2017, 06:15 PM   #2
sbwertz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
Stats: Low carb for blood sugar control
Things to take with you when travelling. Home made beef jerky, hard boiled eggs, quick "turkey jerky" (cook Oscar Mayer turkey bacon in the microwave or oven until very crisp. Other brands don't work as well, especially Jennie-O....nasty.) Pouches of tuna, cheese crisps/crackers (microwaved cheese), cut up veggies and some lc ranch dressing, single serve pouches of lc salad dressing from Walden Farms (I like the honey mustard.) That way you can order a salad with no dressing and dress it yourself. Top it with one of the pouches of tuna! Whataburger without the bun, also burger king. You can cut up the lettuce and tomatoes and onion and put some of that salad dressing on it to make a side salad.

I travel coast to coast every year...sometimes more than once. Now that I have a little motorhome, I have a little fridge and a stove, and even a microwave, but for years I did it in the car. I don't know about you, but I tend to get sleepy after meals, so I rarely eat a full meal when traveling, except at night when I'm stopped. During the day I just snack on LC stuff.

Last edited by sbwertz; 04-23-2017 at 06:17 PM..
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:46 AM   #3
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Those are all great suggestions. I always plan ahead and have what I need with me except in the case of holidays. For those I always pack a good supply of macadamia nuts and coconut butter. Where ever we happen to land for a meal, I find that a salad or even a sandwich can work by simply removing the bread or other carby stuff of asking or have it left off. Another totally good option, is to fast. Often that is the best one.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:50 PM   #4
steve_in_a_cave
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: steve_in_a_cave
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: August 2016
I am a bit of an expert at least on finding dining options and staying LCHF. The FIVE GUYS chain of hamburger restaurants will cheerfully serve a bunless burger, cheeseburger, or bacon cheeseburger. I get mine in a bowl with the lettuce, pickles, and other trimmings in the bowl under the patties. You can also opt for a lettuce leaf wrap instead of the bun.

I've posted elsewhere about RUBY TUESDAY and a menu item they offer called a "petite sirloin." At least at my local Ruby, this is a very highly recommended option. Their vegetable choices include broccoli, or zucchini, or green beans. (The menu also offers cauliflower choices but my location didn't have these last I asked). You might also be able to specify you want the burgers this chain offers, without the bun. This restaurant offers a fairly diverse salad bar, too, so if there is no other appealing choice, you can generally pile up veggies (just skip the pre-prepared potato and macaroni salad options!)

At least around here, most of the fast food chains at least offer salad choices. I had a salad with chicken breast strips on it, at a BURGER KING not long ago. Not gourmet greens or anything, but, it was keto-friendly.

If you have the PANERA Bread Bakery chain (I know!), many of their salads are not too terrible for this WOE. The Greek salad is particularly good, but if you ask to hold some toppings some other salads there work too. Don't forget they also offer soups - you can pair a soup and a salad here, as well as at some other chain restaurants these days.

The CHIPOTLE chain will prepare a bowl or a salad with your choice of meat, and your choices of toppings like cheese, fajita vegetables, guacamole, and sour cream. I just make sure and skip beans and rice, and it's a very filling meal.

I do have to say that as a lifelong fish lover, I really miss the days of good fish sit-down restaurants. Where you could ask for a pan-fried filet, or baked fish, and get real vegetable sides rather than dandified things! But, that's a rant for another day.

If you can spot a grocery store, a rather moderate sized or large one, and it's between maybe 10am and 3pm, you might luck out with a salad bar. Several around here have them, since people now go there to grocery shop AND collect their lunchtime meal!

I have been intending to investigate Kentucky Fried Chicken, too, they renovated one not far from me, and I think that they have a grilled chicken choice. In past years, I remember having greens as a side, there! Imagine!
steve_in_a_cave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #5
cfine
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 280/207
WOE: eating from the animal kingdom
Start Date: April 2012
I have never found it too hard to eat LC on the road. The problem for me has always been resisting all of the carbage that goes along with eating out. What I have found is that the more LC becomes second nature, the easier it is to overcome those temptations. I just ask for no bread or chips to be brought to the table.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:56 AM   #6
steve_in_a_cave
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: steve_in_a_cave
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: August 2016
Yes, cfine, I have the same perspective. Or, er, I hope I am heading for a similar POV anyway. It is still painful to me to eat that FIVE GUYS meal, and not crave a big ol' bag of the starchy accompaniment. I think that about sums up where I am - loving LCHF, but not yet at the point of NOT loving the idea of carbs!
steve_in_a_cave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:49 AM   #7
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I always think of a time when I was away and when finding lunch with my travel mates, we decided on steak sandwiches. I asked for no bun and people with me were concerned that I would be hungry as a result. I explained that the bun would make me hungry and the steak would not. I was right (of course). They ate the bun and were hungry way before me.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:46 PM   #8
creativehealthnut
Junior LCF Member

I travel for work frequently - a minimum of every other week, 4 days a week. I always stay in an extended stay type of hotel with a kitchenette, so that i can get and cook my own food.
creativehealthnut is offline   Reply With Quote