Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 05-30-2017, 09:38 AM   #1
steve_in_a_cave
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: steve_in_a_cave
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: August 2016
Ideas for keto foods for someone who dislikes many

Hey,

My darling husband is happy to join me in eating LCHF, and has been cheerful about it all so far. But he has always been more of a bread and cracker lover than me.

When I need a snack, I can and do grab a chunk of cheese, some avocado, or cream cheese something. I like olives too.

My DH likes some nuts - especially cashews - and will snack on those, but, I could use ideas on what else to keep on hand. Right now he's still eating the full fat blended fruit-flavored yoghurt, but I would really like to find something that could tempt him away from that since it's pretty full of sugar! He will eat cheese with nuts, but has historically wanted saltines crackers and peanut butter, often he gets hungry before bed and eats that.

I'm also working on offering larger portions of our mealtime foods, because I think that filling him up then, would help avoid the snack problem. He is slimmer than I am, and doesn't really need to lose weight; I just want him to be with us just as long as possible!!
steve_in_a_cave is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
cfine
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 280/207
WOE: eating from the animal kingdom
Start Date: April 2012
I have this same problem with my hubby. I think the biggest hurdle to get over is to just convince him that snacking is not necessary. It's more of a habit in our society than anything. I, too, try to make meals high in fat because it makes everyone feel satisfied. With that being said, my hubby likes to snack on nuts, and since he doesn't really have a weight problem or metabolism issues, it's fine.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:22 PM   #3
steve_in_a_cave
Junior LCF Member

That's reassuring, cfine. Guess I should spend less time obsessing right now over how he is eating and focus a bit on me!

Noticed you had some crummy days lately - I hope the chiro and rest get you back in tip-top shape, real fast! Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #4
Avocat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avocat
Stats: 234/197/170
WOE: LC/HF + IF
Start Date: November 14, 2014
When my husband and I first switched over to HF/LC I made keto bread and muffins, keto cheesecake, things like that. There's a lot of recipes out there using nut flours for bake-ables. Then there's mimics, things like cream cheese pancakes, cloud bread and cheese crisps (you bake parmesan cheese on a silicon sheet, not entirely sure but there's tons of recipes out there). We've come to eat those things way, way, way less over time, they're treats. You find you just don't crave them as much.

BTW, Steve, a good alternative I've found to fruity sugar yogurts is taking full fat unsweetened yogurt (which I sweeten with the no carb sweetener of choice, mine is erythritol), slightly defrosted frozen berries, chopped nuts and fresh whipped cream put together as a parfait.
"The reason we are scared of cholesterol and fat has to do with the fact that there are drugs to lower cholesterol [$29 BILLION/year industry] and 50 percent of what we grow in America is now either corn or soy, which can easily be manufactured into low-fat products." Dr. Cate Shanahan (from "Cholesterol Clarity" by J. Moore & E. Westman)
Avocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #5
steve_in_a_cave
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Avocat! I have done pretty well doing a couple of mug cakes and biscuits, really. I am just lazy about doing them for myself, and I suspect my husband would rather I did them more often, because he is a lot more prone to crave breads than me. I have been meaning to try the cream cheese pancakes, I've seen those at Ruled.me's site. Ohhhhh, yes, cheese crisps!! I discovered those last summer at my grocery store. I adore those on salads.

I wish that I could get my husband away from the store sweet yogurt. But then, I don't know, really, whether he is as insulin resistant as I am. He has had problems with his weight in the past (that is, in middle age) but now he has been staying pretty trim, without changing his eating much at all (other than in support of me). His problems are more brain fog and fatigue and inflammation (achiness). I'm the one with the unwanted excess pounds, and a family history of obesity that was -- I'm guessing - blood sugar problems undiagnosed as such.

That yogurt alternative sounds delicious.

Also, I was hoping someone would say the desire to eat some of this crap will decrease with time. I have very good will power, but the cravings still sometimes nudge at me for chewy, caramelly things or some sweet something. Often if it's at night, I find that mixing some flavored stevia drops with lemon or lime juice in water, hydrates me and kills the sweet tooth. That, and reading some new study or watching a video!
Old 06-04-2017, 11:31 AM   #6
cfine
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 280/207
WOE: eating from the animal kingdom
Start Date: April 2012
Quote:
That's reassuring, cfine. Guess I should spend less time obsessing right now over how he is eating and focus a bit on me!

Noticed you had some crummy days lately - I hope the chiro and rest get you back in tip-top shape, real fast! Thanks for your reply.
I have found that focusing on myself will ultimately lead to others in the family to become more aware of what they are eating. My hubby likes the new keto buns on the market. There's a thread about them in the recipe section. As far as yogurt goes, I know this might sound a little weird, but I use sour cream and sweeten it with Swerve(or whatever sweetener you like.) You can add in a little bit of berries also. It tastes just like Greek yogurt. I keep a big container in my frig because I use sour cream so much and the yogurt kept going bad because I only want it on occasion as a "yogurt" type dessert.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #7
battler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: battler
I use vegetables as a carrier for a large amount of fat. For the past few months I have been making in bulk a stewed cabbage dish done Indian style. I heat some up every morning and add about 35 grams of ghee/clarified butter. This is my daily breakfast along with 50 grams of 90% of chocolate. This lasts me till dinner where I have seafood or some read meat but this doesnt absorb much fat, so this is a protein focussed meal.
battler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:33 AM   #8
Koala
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Koala
Stats: highest 213, starting March 187/147/maintenance
WOE: Keto-esque
Start Date: March 2017
Wow this sounds frustrating. Sometimes I wish I wasn't doing this WOE alone and encourage my bf to eat less sugar.

The best is watching folks just eat more LC cause of how the results appear in you! My dad loves Keto snacks. My bf eats stevia chocolate. Now I need to find a way to keep them off my treats!
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:11 PM   #9
steve_in_a_cave
Junior LCF Member

Sorry I went quiet, I caught a sore throat and was pushing fluids and so on throughout the weekend (not a keto flu, just a really painful sore throat, mostly done with, now).

My husband is really great about trying things and mostly will eat along with me whatever I set in front of him! It isn't that I need to convince him about this WOE. Rather, there are some foods that he has never liked, and those foods would be really helpful in a keto meal plan. So I would really love to have healthful options to offer him.

Avocado is great to eat most any time of the day, and is a great side with breakfast, however, my husband has never wanted avocado, and dislikes it enough that he would pass it up rather than eat it. Same goes for greek yogurt. My dilemma isn't how to force or disguise these foods when I eat them. It's what I can offer to provide sufficient food (calories) for my husband, who is bigger (taller) than I am, and who doesn't need to lose weight. I would like for him to not feel hungry, before bed, or between meals. When I am satisfied with a meal at home, sometimes he is not, because he doesn't eat as much cheese, or doesn't have the olives, or the avocado, or the jerky.

Eating out solves this, since that way he can choose something that includes carbs. Sometimes I make us smoothies with mostly spinach or other greens, and a small bit of frozen berries, and I add coconut oil to them to help fill us up. I like butter coffee in the mornings, but my husband has always enjoyed his coffee black, and so that is off the menu, for him.

It is mostly a question of helping with satiety when there are fewer foods someone likes, that have high fat content.

Thanks for all your suggestions so far!!
Old 06-16-2017, 04:25 PM   #10
Avocat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avocat
Stats: 234/197/170
WOE: LC/HF + IF
Start Date: November 14, 2014
I should thank my lucky stars mine is pretty happy eating the same breakfast every day, virtually never eats lunch and is happy with meat/veg for dinner.

I used to make him crustless quiche, which I would serve with some combination of avocado, bacon or sausage, sour cream, full fat cottage cheese. He's gotten bored with that and breakfast is now scrambled eggs or an omelet made with whipping cream and the same sides.

For dinner, I often make cream gravies to go with the meats and drench the veggies in butter and/or olive oil.

But like I said, mine eats whatever I make. I'm the first woman in his life (mother included) that cooked a decent meal for him. At his age he knows better than to rock the boat and complain LOL!
"The reason we are scared of cholesterol and fat has to do with the fact that there are drugs to lower cholesterol [$29 BILLION/year industry] and 50 percent of what we grow in America is now either corn or soy, which can easily be manufactured into low-fat products." Dr. Cate Shanahan (from "Cholesterol Clarity" by J. Moore & E. Westman)
Avocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:50 PM   #11
tina1973
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tina1973
Stats: 326/200/140
WOE: VSG/Keto
Start Date: VSG: 11/15
Does he like bacon? You can do so much with bacon.

My husband's favorite meal is a lchf dish! So that's awesome. I'm not sure if I can link the recipe since it's a keto site? If you search "cheddar bacon explosion" you should find it. It's so delicious. You can make a lot of yummy lchf foods. I'd experiment and have fun.

Me, my sleeve, and I
<---my story

326 320 310 300 290 280 270 260 250 240
230 220 210 200 190 180 170 160 150 140

"In the end, we will all be judged by the courage of our hearts" Lito - Sense8
tina1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:55 AM   #12
LoriWants2Lose
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 12, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_in_a_cave View Post

I wish that I could get my husband away from the store sweet yogurt.
Kroger makes CarbSmart yogurt. I only like the white chocolate raspberry flavor. Might be a good way to transition him away from the higher sugar yogurts. I'm thinking it has 1 gram of sugar.

"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." ~ Oscar Wilde

First goal: Onederland - reached Dec. 2012
Next goal: 180s (not been there in 15 years!)
Final goal: 155 (within the healthy range for 5'7")
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote