Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 04-27-2017, 11:54 PM   #1
clanger
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: clanger
Stats: 5' 0" Size 22 / Size 12/ Size 10
WOE: (75/20/5) 50g protein
Start Date: Restart: 1st November 2015
Stalling?

I'm going to put a positive spin on it, and say that rather than stalling, I'm "maintaining at a higher than optimal weight" !

I've learned something this week - it's probably really obvious, but sometimes it's helpful to take a step back to see the bigger picture. Over the last 18 months of being ketogenic, I'm down 5 sizes pretty much effortlessly (I'd guess about 80 lbs but I don't weigh). I last dropped a size at the end of the year - since then I've maintained at roughly 2 sizes (I'd guess 30 - 40lbs) above my ideal weight.

Over Christmas, blood tests showed I had very low folate, vitamin b12 and had borderline anaemia. As a result, I started eating lots of green veggies. To make the veggies palatable, I slathered them with loads of butter. I also started getting hungrier, so my treat of a couple of squares of 90% lindt crept up to 4, and I was eating lunch more frequently rather than intermittent fasting. The net result has been very little weight loss. I put my numbers in a food tracker and realised that whilst my macro breakdown was good, calories were between 1500 and 2000. My BMR is about 1400 or something.

I'm guessing the additional food, albeit the right sort, means I've no need to dip into existing fat stores, because the energy I'm consuming largely meets my needs.

So, it's back to first principles - weekday intermittent fasting, quit the additional veggies and butter, quit the additional chocolate, and monitor the cream in coffee (I was drinking loads). Hopefully this will see some further losses.

But, I suppose the positive from this is that I know if I eat to hunger, and make sure I remain keto, then it seems my weight remains stable.

Complacency, Carb creep and calorie creep - the downfall of the long term LCHFer!

I'm attempting a 48 hour fast to kick start and reboot this new phase - wish me luck!!!

Last edited by clanger; 04-27-2017 at 11:59 PM..
clanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2017, 05:14 AM   #2
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Good plan. I am still working on breaking my stall. I know I need to do a longer fast but just can't seem to convince myself to actually do it................

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:21 AM   #3
Kalyke
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kalyke
I've thought of this in regards to myself-- what will happen after I have lost all that weight.
I think that all the extra skin, connective tissue, and of course the fact that while overweight by 80 lbs, you have actually adapted to carrying what amounts to an 80 pound sack of fat around, so despite what it looks like, every day has been a day at the gym.

I personally think that even if I get "close" to my ideal weight or size, 10 or even 20 pounds difference is still much better than before.

I think you should just continue marching on!
Kalyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:40 AM   #4
clanger
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Good plan. I am still working on breaking my stall. I know I need to do a longer fast but just can't seem to convince myself to actually do it................
How long do no normally manage, clackley? I have to admit that I've not managed to go beyond 24 hours so far. My last meal was this time yesterday, I had coffee with 1 tbsp cream this morning, and I'm having another one now. Might be early to bed tonight so I don't get tempted to open the fridge door and see what's inside. Strictly speaking I know it's not a fast because of the cream, but it's the best I can realistically achieve , I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalyke View Post
I've thought of this in regards to myself-- what will happen after I have lost all that weight.
I think that all the extra skin, connective tissue, and of course the fact that while overweight by 80 lbs, you have actually adapted to carrying what amounts to an 80 pound sack of fat around, so despite what it looks like, every day has been a day at the gym.

I personally think that even if I get "close" to my ideal weight or size, 10 or even 20 pounds difference is still much better than before.

I think you should just continue marching on!
Thanks Kalyke I like your take on carrying the 80 lbs as being like a day at the gym each day - great way of looking at it!!!

Just measured blood glucose out of curiosity after not eating for 24 hours - 3.3. I seem to have lost my ketone strips for the meter though - I'm curious to see how high they'll go!
Old 04-28-2017, 12:20 PM   #5
clanger
Senior LCF Member

... watching Diners, Drive Ins and Dives on Food Network isn't a great idea when attempting a fast.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:32 PM   #6
Kalyke
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kalyke
Can you make chocolate like brownies and make them some good Godiva coco powde mixed with cream cheese and maybe almond flour, and add some stevia? Would something like that cease the chocolate cravings?
Kalyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:21 PM   #7
clanger
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalyke View Post
Can you make chocolate like brownies and make them some good Godiva coco powde mixed with cream cheese and maybe almond flour, and add some stevia? Would something like that cease the chocolate cravings?
That's a great idea - I caved and had some cheese followed by a couple of squares of 90% chocolate . I don't think longer term fasting is for me - 24 hours I find fairly easy, but struggle with longer than that. I don't think it's physical hunger - I think mentally I feel deprived. Might have another go next week, but got a massive pork leg out of the freezer yesterday so will be eating that the next 3 days or so.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #8
Koala
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Koala
Stats: highest 213, starting March 187/147/maintenance
WOE: Keto-esque
Start Date: March 2017
I am stalling too. So back to basics. Less dairy and nuts. Also working on relaxing more and especially sleep!
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:00 PM   #9
clanger
Senior LCF Member

Good luck, Koala. I hope you find a way to manage those stress levels and get some great quality sleep. There seems to be a lot of emphasis on the role of cortisol and sleep lately for weight loss and general good health.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:56 AM   #10
Koala
Senior LCF Member

I got some amino acids to help with sleep and super helped!
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #11
Baricat
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baricat
Stats: 240/116/135 Start:size 22, now size 0.
WOE: LC for control of diabetes
Start Date: January 2007. Have kept weight off over 11 years.
Fat Bombs

I've found that when I'm stalled, the best thing to jump start weight loss again is to make fat bombs and have one in place of breakfast, then another between a LC lunch and dinner (keeping to fewer than 20 grams per day total.) Favorites include chocolate/peanut butter balls or a serving of white chocolate mousse. Never any more than 2 per day, though. Perhaps you could add them at customary meal times while on your fast. I know it seems kinda counterintuitive, but it works for me and also for my husband.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:46 PM   #12
Koala
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanger View Post
Good luck, Koala. I hope you find a way to manage those stress levels and get some great quality sleep. There seems to be a lot of emphasis on the role of cortisol and sleep lately for weight loss and general good health.
How did the changes go? Update?
Old 07-08-2017, 12:47 PM   #13
Koala
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baricat View Post
I've found that when I'm stalled, the best thing to jump start weight loss again is to make fat bombs and have one in place of breakfast, then another between a LC lunch and dinner (keeping to fewer than 20 grams per day total.) Favorites include chocolate/peanut butter balls or a serving of white chocolate mousse. Never any more than 2 per day, though. Perhaps you could add them at customary meal times while on your fast. I know it seems kinda counterintuitive, but it works for me and also for my husband.
Makes sense to me! I actually just started looking into fat bombs myself.

Has anyone used a fat fast to break a stall?
Old 07-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #14
battler
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: battler
Do some research on circadian rhythmns more commonly known as body clocks. There are whole lot of biological processes that happen based on time of day.......if you do not have good circadian rhythmns, those biological processes may not occur and the result is weight gain and possibly other diseases.
battler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:42 AM   #15
clanger
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
How did the changes go? Update?
It took me a while to get kick started, Koala , despite my best intentions.

Finally got around to it starting 2nd week in August. My weekday regime has been coffee with double cream for breakfast; skip lunch; dinner has been some sort of protein with green veggies and butter; plus I've had a glass of kefir and another coffee with cream, plus small amount of 100% chocolate. Weekends I've been more liberal with coffee and lunch (not intermittent fasting on weekends). Average breakdown:-

Calories 1265
Carbs 20.4 total (15 net)
Protein 76g

Lost 4 lbs (3cm from waist) over the subsequent 7 weeks, so it's slow going! Being middle aged with possibly slightly dodgy thyroid function, I suppose that is only to be expected! I do feel better though for losing those few lbs (I had gained weight, so I think I've pretty much lost what I'd gained).

I'm substituting coffee with cream with bulletproof coffee this month to see how thst goes, foregoing my evening coffee with cream, and perhaps looking to reduce protein down to about 60g.

How are you going koala?

Last edited by clanger; 10-02-2017 at 12:45 AM..
Old 10-02-2017, 04:25 AM   #16
enemysugar
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: enemysugar
Stats: 278/139/160 Goal Met 8/2017
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: January 25th 2017
Quote:
It took me a while to get kick started, Koala , despite my best intentions.

Finally got around to it starting 2nd week in August. My weekday regime has been coffee with double cream for breakfast; skip lunch; dinner has been some sort of protein with green veggies and butter; plus I've had a glass of kefir and another coffee with cream, plus small amount of 100% chocolate. Weekends I've been more liberal with coffee and lunch (not intermittent fasting on weekends). Average breakdown:-

Calories 1265
Carbs 20.4 total (15 net)
Protein 76g

Lost 4 lbs (3cm from waist) over the subsequent 7 weeks, so it's slow going! Being middle aged with possibly slightly dodgy thyroid function, I suppose that is only to be expected! I do feel better though for losing those few lbs (I had gained weight, so I think I've pretty much lost what I'd gained).

I'm substituting coffee with cream with bulletproof coffee this month to see how thst goes, foregoing my evening coffee with cream, and perhaps looking to reduce protein down to about 60g.

How are you going koala?

Glad your back on target clanger, things always seen to go easier if your ready to do it rather than forcing it, hard to get your head in the right place sometimes. Your doing great clanger, your making progress!!!!
enemysugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:19 AM   #17
clanger
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the encouragement, enemysugar!!!
Old 01-29-2018, 04:48 PM   #18
jshaf
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jshaf
Stats: 450/298/180
WOE: Keto combined with OMAD and extended fasting
Start Date: October 8th 2017
Quote:
... watching Diners, Drive Ins and Dives on Food Network isn't a great idea when attempting a fast.

lol, been there....doesn't bother me any more, still like that show even if I can't eat 70% of the stuff on it....
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:55 PM   #19
jshaf
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jshaf
Stats: 450/298/180
WOE: Keto combined with OMAD and extended fasting
Start Date: October 8th 2017
stalled last week, dropped the dairy by half, walked half as much, and didn't over consume liquids, lost the most lbs in a week than I ever had before.
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote