Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 05-22-2017, 05:57 AM   #1
dismomof4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dismomof4
Keto for migraines

Has anyone here used a keto diet for migraine control? I've done low carb diets in the past, but not a keto diet per say. I've been having migraines for 35 years now, but the last few years have been utter hell with 15+ migraine days a month. I'm on Day 3 of a keto diet and am hoping that the diet at least gives me some relief. Anyone else have any experience with this?
dismomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2017, 06:26 AM   #2
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I do not, but I hope it works for you.

I have read about keto helping others with migraines. It makes sense, it is the diet they used for children with seizures before medications came out (some still do).
Old 05-22-2017, 02:37 PM   #3
40winks
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 40winks
WOE: Low Carb
Dr. Atkins has the answers!

Sorry to hear about your terrible migraines. I'm fortunate that I don't have them.

I suggest you check the book, DR. ATKINS' NUTRITION BREAKTHROUGH: How to Treat Your Medical Condition Without Drugs. Pages 113-116 cover migraine headaches under the subtitle, "Migraines: Multiple Symptoms, Multiple Probable Causes." It's too complicated to cover here and you'll want to go straight to the source. You can probably get the book online or at the library.

I also turn to another Dr. Atkins book when I have any sort of medical problem: DR. ATKINS' VITA-NUTRIENT SOLUTION. Migraine headaches is listed in the index with 5 different pages referenced. For example, on page 139, Dr Atkins writes, "Copper's relationship with zinc is fundamental to understanding its effects on us.... That same high copper-to-zinc ratio has been blamed for triggering migraine headaches, although some researchers theorize that copper is responsible because it allows the accumulation of compounds that constrict blood vessels." So if you're taking copper supplements, I'd suggest you stop, and if you're not taking zinc supplements, you might want to start. But first, you'd want to read all the relevant pages. Dr. Atkins' book also mentions B vitamins that help, etc.

Best wishes to you. Please let us know if you find relief and how you did it.

232 / 199 / 170
Restarted January 1, 2017.
BMI dropped below 30 on July 21, 2017.
Ancient History, 2002-3: From 263 to 184 on Atkins in 18 months.
40winks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
dismomof4
Junior LCF Member

Thank you, 40winks! I'm going to request that Atkins book from the library today!
Old 05-24-2017, 04:33 PM   #5
40winks
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 40winks
WOE: Low Carb
You're very welcome! Hope you find the answer there. Also, I forgot to mention something I read somewhere else - that people can get migraines just from not drinking enough water. If you aren't drinking much water, I suggest you try upping your intake to at least the recommended minimum of 8 glasses a day, which is just 64 oz. of water per day. Best wishes.

232 / 199 / 170
Restarted January 1, 2017.
BMI dropped below 30 on July 21, 2017.
Ancient History, 2002-3: From 263 to 184 on Atkins in 18 months.
40winks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:04 PM   #6
Dottie
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: ADF mostly Paleo
Some migraines can be caused by food intolerance or allergies.
For me, sulfites in wines cause really bad ones.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Be sure to visit Netrition on Facebook for the latest products and deals!
https://www.facebook.com/Netritioncom-210889832433/

The past is beyond your control. The future starts right now, this moment: take control!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:02 AM   #7
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I have only had about 10 migraines in my adult life but know how miserable they are. My last one was not long before I started Atkins in February of 2000. I was on plan for about 3 yrs. and then off plan for a few years. I have been back since 2009 and still no migraines.

There is a group of thought among some doctors that they are the result of wheat - north American wheat specifically.

Hope keto is the key for you!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:20 AM   #8
dismomof4
Junior LCF Member

I've been getting migraines for 35 years, sadly. The past 10 years have been brutal with up to 20 migraines a month. I'm a candidate for botox, but since I've heard such great things about a ketogenic diet, I thought I would give that a shot first. I'm not a fan of having injections in my face! I've done low carb and paleo in the past, just not high fat. I'm hoping this works as I did find some success with low carb/paleo in the past.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:49 AM   #9
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Keep us updated and any questions or concerns - don't hesitate to ask.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
We are butter together!
Old 05-29-2017, 02:44 AM   #10
Momma3max
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Momma3max
Stats: 175.5/137/130
WOE: Keto
Also interested in your results. There certainly seems to be some thought out there that upping the healthy fats is brain healthy.
Momma3max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:59 AM   #11
dismomof4
Junior LCF Member

UPDATE:Almost 3 weeks migraine free!! I'm on approximately 75-80% fat, 15-20% protein, and maybe about 5% carbs. I joined a group on Facebook called Keto for Neuro that is specifically for those who are using a ketogenic diet therapeutically for neurological issues. I also discovered a podcast episode from She Calls Me Hobbit that is all about ketogenic diets for neurological issues. I'm primarily a paleo type keto in that I'm avoiding all the grains, sugars and artificially processed foods that I can. I've lost a couple of pounds which is not a problem for me yet. I do find that I am thirsty all the time and am chugging water constantly!! I already take magnesium for my migraines, but have also started adding more salt to my diet to keep my electrolytes in balance. So that's what's happened thus far! If this continues keeps the migraines at bay, I will be using keto therapeutically for life!
Old 06-09-2017, 05:19 AM   #12
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
That's wonderful news!
Old 06-09-2017, 05:38 AM   #13
clackley
Chatty Cathy

AWESOME!! Please do keep us updated!

We are butter together!
Old 06-09-2017, 04:47 PM   #14
grneyedldy
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
Great news. I wish you continued success!
Old 06-16-2017, 05:56 PM   #15
tina1973
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tina1973
Stats: 326/200/140
WOE: VSG/Keto
Start Date: VSG: 11/15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dismomof4 View Post
UPDATE:Almost 3 weeks migraine free!! I'm on approximately 75-80% fat, 15-20% protein, and maybe about 5% carbs. I joined a group on Facebook called Keto for Neuro that is specifically for those who are using a ketogenic diet therapeutically for neurological issues. I also discovered a podcast episode from She Calls Me Hobbit that is all about ketogenic diets for neurological issues. I'm primarily a paleo type keto in that I'm avoiding all the grains, sugars and artificially processed foods that I can. I've lost a couple of pounds which is not a problem for me yet. I do find that I am thirsty all the time and am chugging water constantly!! I already take magnesium for my migraines, but have also started adding more salt to my diet to keep my electrolytes in balance. So that's what's happened thus far! If this continues keeps the migraines at bay, I will be using keto therapeutically for life!
Wow!! That's so cool! I'm hoping to have relief from my daily heachaches, but we'll see. I don't get migraines since I had my daith (both sides) pierced but still get headaches every singe day.

Me, my sleeve, and I
<---my story

326 320 310 300 290 280 270 260 250 240
230 220 210 200 190 180 170 160 150 140

"In the end, we will all be judged by the courage of our hearts" Lito - Sense8
tina1973 is offline   Reply With Quote