Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-16-2017, 07:29 PM   #1
Ketonian
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ketonian
Stats: 277.8 258.2 goal?
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 11, 2017
Nutritional Ketosis and breathalyzers

I have read elsewhere that being in Nutritional ketosis can give a false positive when you are required to do a breathalyzer test. Has anyone run into this situation or can anyone check if this is so? I don't drink but I know we have a lot of travelling to do in the next few weeks and I don't know if I should come out of Keto for the sake of driving. Someone also suggested I request a blood test if anything happened. I know I worry about a great many things. I just think it would be odd to say.. "Officer I don't drink. It's the Ketosis. honest!"
Ketonian is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2017, 03:30 AM   #2
Hayek
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/152/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13
I haven't read anything definitive on the matter. I last researched this about 3 years ago as I saw some similar posts.

At that time, it seemed there was one "major" case in Sweden (I think) about it and appeared to be some emerging cases/case law in California. But most of what I read at that point was "theory" on how it would impact a breathalyzer based on what was known at the time.

I don't know if stronger evidence or actual studies have emerged since then. I'm pretty active in various keto communities so I'd like to think I'd have seen more information appear, but I can't know what I've missed!
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:36 AM   #3
Hayek
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/152/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13
For anecdotal evidence, I used an easily-available, consumer grade (?) breathalyzer a few times throughout my keto life when I started reading about this and never blew anything.

Most of my blows were post-adaptation, but I did a few after some most likely keto-breaking days (though not insanely high carbs like 100+) and it also never registered.

I'm not sure how that breathalyzer compares to ones used by law enforcement, but it had high ratings and reviews.

Also, and maybe this is individual based on how/where you excrete ketones, but I never ever got keto breath in any manner that I see others describe. However, when first starting ketosis, I did get keto pee lol (and if I break keto, can still notice a difference when I re-enter based on that). Thus, if the lack of any keto mouth-related things indicates I may not be someone who excretes through the mouth/lungs as heavily as others, that might impact the breathalyzer side of things as well.

Obviously this is all conjecture and just my personal experience, so take it very lightly.
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:30 AM   #4
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketonian View Post
I have read elsewhere that being in Nutritional ketosis can give a false positive when you are required to do a breathalyzer test. Has anyone run into this situation or can anyone check if this is so? I don't drink but I know we have a lot of travelling to do in the next few weeks and I don't know if I should come out of Keto for the sake of driving. Someone also suggested I request a blood test if anything happened. I know I worry about a great many things. I just think it would be odd to say.. "Officer I don't drink. It's the Ketosis. honest!"
I believe it is true that keto can cause a breathalizer to give a false positive. You would need to ask for a blood test if this were the case. Also consider that the odds of having this happen are pretty minuscule. I have almost 11 yrs. of keto under my belt and have never run across it.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote