Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 07-18-2017, 06:37 PM   #61
CarolynF
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/157/145
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
We are leaving Thursday so have a couple of days...I just packed 6 pairs of pants/tops and a dress and a skirt. Wearing something twice will work for me!!

Love Maine..been there a lot. The only shellfish you can't eat when there isn't a R in the month is oysters. The rest is super. In fact, lobsters are cheaper toward the fall. Summer is crazy, busy in Maine, and the kids go back the day after Labor Day, so would go after that. But things do close up sometimes in the fall, so you have to watch it.

What part of Maine are you thinking of? I would fly into Portland and rent a car from there. It is so beautiful along the coast with great homes, restaurants, etc..anything from York up to Portland is nice. Then you could go to Boothbay Harbor or Bar Harbor (further up).

No friends on this trip. Our dear friend Ron is wiped out with his pulmonary fibrosis and can't walk very far. We are going to stay at a lady's home in Traverse City. She is a single Chinese gal who used to work with Gary. She offered and we accepted. Just 2 nights. Michelle is a fun gal.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2017, 07:41 PM   #62
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT + Fast Five
Start Date: June 2012
Well I knew I asked the right person about Maine.
I will nudge that we leave near the beginning of September.
We also have relatives in Virginia, so might try to fold that in.
I imagine we'll drive the whole way with brat pug. That will be part of the adventure.

DH's brother did mention York. I remember being in England and going to York. I'd like to close that circle with York in Maine!
DH is enchanted with seeing the ocean.
He was actually a surfer on the Pacific, but the only East coast trip he's taken was to a hospital to interview a surgeon after he'd had a radical retinal tear in his eye. He ended up with a surgeon in Memphis.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll bother you more than you wish about this trip!

Neat that you'll stay for a little at the friend's house. Nice to have something different.
I know we'll have tomorrow to chat, but I'm sure you'll be busy, so I'll wish you safe travels and a wonderful wonderful trip!!
Old 07-18-2017, 08:24 PM   #63
CarolynF

It will take 2 long days to drive there. But then you have a car!!! Yes, Virginia could be on the way coming or going.

There are lots of beaches..some you have to pay a bit to park.. the water is kind of cold, but August/September is a bit warmer than in the summer.

Our friends that moved to BA just called to congratulate us about Brett's wedding. This couple are renting at Baptist Village in BA and go to Brett's church.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:30 AM   #64
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh thanks for reminding me about maybe needing to pay to park at some places.
I have a form I need to complete. We've never taken advantage of this, but there is apparently some kind of waiver for national parks, so I doubt the beach parking will apply, but for national parks type 1s can waive the fee.
Not a huge deal, but lots of parks in Colorado have fees and it would be nice to pinch those pennies.

Oh man - that peach cobbler..... divine!
I think just eating peaches would work, too, but I'm going to offer what's left of the cobbler to my cute smart mom who is 89 today! SS will be very happy to dip her spoon in, too! Thanks for that very easy recipe!

Hope today is smooth. Are you flying tomorrow?
Old 07-19-2017, 09:33 AM   #65
CarolynF

Check for National Parks in Maine. I think there is one big one called Acadia National Park way up north near Bar Harbor. There is a mountain you can drive up there called Cadillac where you can see forever. The southern beaches are good. York Beach is nice, Drake Island is one of the best beaches in Kennebunk.
Lots f fun things., Portland has really become more touristy in the last 20 years and the Old Port is fun, too.

We are spending tomorrow night at the airport. Will eat dinner with the kids at Shilohs in BA. Our flight is 8:44, so much better than 6!

Today I put my medications in little bags. Most of them are supplements. Lolol

Old 07-19-2017, 10:02 AM   #66
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Sounds like a great start to your vacation - dinner with the newlyweds!

I need to start taking notes from your good ideas.
Thank you so much!

Hope you have a restful night and blue skies tomorrow!
Old 07-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #67
CarolynF

Thanks, Judy. .

When you are traveling in Maine, most people stick to the coast. It all depends what you guys like to do. There are some fun lighthouses that you can go into and look around.

Kennebunkport is my favorite place for shopping. The Bushes have a house right outside the Port. Very nice..

Old 07-19-2017, 02:11 PM   #68
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

I can nearly guarantee that we will stick to the coast.
It's all he wants to see.

We are not much for hiking around or climbing - especially with the dog in tow. Maybe we'll be sensible and leave brat pug with DD. But probably not. LOL

We don't really have a plan yet. And I can't guarantee we'll be wise enough to plan ahead. Sometimes that's part of our adventure.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:56 PM   #69
CarolynF

You know..in September, it might be easy to go without reservations...I don't hike either..
but a short walk would be okay..Like on top of Cadillac Mountain, you and your dh and little puggie can walk around.

I would check to see if some places allow dogs on the beach..I just don't know about that..but you certainly don't want to leave her in the car or the room..

Old 07-19-2017, 04:04 PM   #70
CarolynF

I sent you a link in FB Messenger.. Seems like Maine loves doggies.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:08 PM   #71
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Got it and thank you!

Eloise does have a lifetime of experience waiting for us in hotel rooms. She's very patient.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #72
CarolynF

Good for Eloise. Well trained puppy dog.

Dh is mowing the lawn in case it grows a bit while we are gone.

Try to catch you while in Michigan. Our first night will be at the Bavarian Inn..the food looks amazing. I'll try to control my eating

Old 07-20-2017, 09:06 AM   #73
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

I don't know why I thought you were leaving this morning. It's tomorrow, right? I think I've lost track of my days!

I actually have created a document "Maine from Carolyn".
Any tidbits of wisdom will be dropped directly in there!
It's similar to a document I have called "Nuevo Progresso from Sandy"

Working today. When I finish this project I've asked for a couple of days off.
I have things I just can't get to. I have that sorority reunion this weekend, then DH's big 65 the following weekend. Did I already tell you SS said we could have the gathering at her house? Great load off my shoulders. We'll supply all the food and drink, which we like to do anyway, but I need a little prep time!

So dinner with the newlyweds tonight?
Old 07-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #74
CarolynF

We are leaving to drive to the airport this afternoon..Having dinner with the lovebirds..I have 5 peaches left..Brett will take them.

Have fun at your sorority reunion..Sounds like lots of fun. Glad your SS is going to have your dh's big 65th party at her house..Much easier when you only have to make food..

As far as hotels, etc..best to check trip advisor for those..When we would go to Maine, we would stay at my friend's trailer/camper, so that was fun. We loved Ogunquit, too..It's a must see and not far down the road from Kennebunkport. It's just fun to look around there and see what's going on.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #75
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

Are you there yet?
Are you there yet??

Lindsey and the boys just dropped by for a little while. So much fun.

I leave for Stillwater tomorrow morning. Back the next afternoon.

Hope everyone is having fun!
Old 07-23-2017, 05:15 PM   #76
sjl330
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/143.8/140-145 5'6"
WOE: Fast-5 intermittent fasting
Start Date: January 2003
Shoot, I missed saying goodbye to both of you!! Have fun in Michigan and at your sorority reunion. Both sound like so much fun!! We've decided to get out of the heat and head to Colorado Thursday. I found a place to stay since our original place was no longer available b/c I had to cancel it a while back. But DS canceled his hip surgery, which is why we canceled our CO trip in the first place. Ugh. So DH is tired of this heat so off we go to cool mountain air. We'll be back mid-August. We're still enjoying our homeless adventure, all except this awful heat. Sorry I've been MIA so much but I only have my phone and it's little hotspot. Which I'm not very familiar with so I'm half afraid to use it, lol.

Food can wait!
There. Will. Always. Be. Food.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:23 PM   #77
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

I understand!!! You all are having an adventure and we are just glad when you can check in!
If I could escape to Colorado, I would, too.

One of the girls in our pledge class didn't come because she was enjoying her 6 weeks at her Colorado place.

We had a great time. There was only a small number of us, so actually it was nice. Some of the girls I hadn't seen for 30 years or so. Because of the small number, we were able to really catch up on our lives, kids, grand kids, etc.
If it weren't so hot, we'd have been able to walk around the campus. But it was beastly hot yesterday and today was a leaving day. So we sat and ate and talked.

I hope Carolyn is having fun and Sandy I hope you are escaping the heat and having fun!

Hugs to all!
Old 07-25-2017, 01:49 PM   #78
CarolynF

Hi everyone,

Good for you Sandy. Our neighbors were cooling off in CO. Judy, small groups are best sometimes. Glad you had fun!

Michigan is lovely. The towns are clean as a whistle. We saw lots of Lake Huron, then drove up to the Upper Peninsula to a shipwreck
Museum on Lake Superior which is like the cold ocean. Waves etc. The Edmond Fitzgerald went down in the 70's up there.

We are on Mackinac Island which is lovely. The GrAnd Hotel is lovely and the food is amazing. I'm glad my pants still fit. Everyone has to be dressed up after 6:30. Ties/coats and dresses. Even the children.

On FB there is a snippet of the wedding. Sarah is so adorable with her tears and laughter. You will see why we love her.

We took the tour of the island. There are no cars. Just horse drawn carriages and bikes. I'm safer walking than biking.

Hugs all around.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:12 AM   #79
JMCM1
Blabbermouth!!!

That video was fantastic!!! I got a little taste of "being there!"

I'm so glad you're having fun. Soak it all up.