Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-10-2016, 09:15 AM   #1
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/126.8/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Fat Free Cheese...

... is fat free cheese OK during QWL? The sticky up top does not include fat cheese as an option during QWL, but I'd love to know if it is "legal".

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2016, 10:17 AM   #2
Carly

Is fat free, plain yogurt OK?

I am sticking strictly to the items in the QWL sticky up top, but would LOVE to eat my much adored FF Greek yogurt.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:04 AM   #3
Beowulf
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beowulf
Stats: 148/138/130# 5'6" 60yrs
WOE: JUDDD+LC
Start Date: Aug 2015 JUDDD experiment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Is fat free, plain yogurt OK?

I am sticking strictly to the items in the QWL sticky up top, but would LOVE to eat my much adored FF Greek yogurt.
Hi Carly, No to yogurt on QWL. He has a kinder gentler variation in his 14-Day Shape-Up book, which allows fat free yogurt, but only 1/2c, and he warns that it slows weight loss for some. No cheese on that one other than 1/2c cottage cheese or pot cheese.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:15 AM   #4
Carly

Thank you for your reply. I had a feeling that FF yogurt and cheese would be a no go, but I thought I'd ask.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:19 AM   #5
Beowulf
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
... is fat free cheese OK during QWL? The sticky up top does not include fat cheese as an option during QWL, but I'd love to know if it is "legal".
What he says in the 14-Day Shape-Up book (which is a bit more lenient) is that he can't be certain how much skim milk vs. whole milk is in the skim milk cheese of his time (other than cottage cheese and pot cheese). So he doesn't allow it out of fear it might have lots of fat. With today's labelling laws, you might feel more confident about fat content (though labels can round down nearly 0.5g so you wouldn't want to eat too many servings).

Hope that helps.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:27 AM   #6
Carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
What he says in the 14-Day Shape-Up book (which is a bit more lenient) is that he can't be certain how much skim milk vs. whole milk is in the skim milk cheese of his time (other than cottage cheese and pot cheese). So he doesn't allow it out of fear it might have lots of fat. With today's labelling laws, you might feel more confident about fat content (though labels can round down nearly 0.5g so you wouldn't want to eat too many servings).

Hope that helps.
It does help. I think for now I'll avoid it, but if I decide to continue much past Friday or Saturday for this trial I may consider using it very sparingly.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
Beowulf
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
It does help. I think for now I'll avoid it, but if I decide to continue much past Friday or Saturday for this trial I may consider using it very sparingly.
If you are tired of meat, he does allow sugar-free gelatin. There is a "fluff" recipe in the stickies that combines whipped egg whites with whipped sugar-free gelatin. Not exactly yogurt, but different from meat!
Old 08-10-2016, 12:56 PM   #8
Carly

Quote:
If you are tired of meat, he does allow sugar-free gelatin. There is a "fluff" recipe in the stickies that combines whipped egg whites with whipped sugar-free gelatin. Not exactly yogurt, but different from meat!
I didn't know that SF gelatin was OK. I thought somewhere I read that you couldn't have it on QWL although I can't imagine why not.

I'll check it out.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:31 PM   #9
Beowulf
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I didn't know that SF gelatin was OK. I thought somewhere I read that you couldn't have it on QWL although I can't imagine why not.

I'll check it out.
Ah. It is listed in the 14-Day Shape-Up book, and the recipe post has it listed as QWL-approved, but I don't have the QWL book to verify that. Perhaps someone else here has the actual book. I thought we used it on QWL when I was a kid, but I might be wrong (or maybe my mother pushed the envelope on that).
Old 08-10-2016, 05:08 PM   #10
Beowulf
Senior LCF Member

OK. This was driving me nuts! I'm just a bit OCD

I found a reference on another low carb forum. It seems he updated the list of allowed foods when he published his cookbook in 1972, which would have been about the time my mother and sisters and I used the diet. I remember my mother cooking many of his recipes.

Sorry, still no yogurt or milk on QWL...

Here is the quote:

UPDATES TO THE QWL FOOD LISTS

(from the QWL Cookbook, published in 1972)

LEAN MEATS .. now includes lean pork, ham and lean sausages. Also lean game meats such as venison and rabbit, as well as chicken livers.

FISH AND SEAFOOD .. now includes all varieties of canned fish or seafood packed in water, or if packed in oil or sauce should be drained and washed under running water to remove it.

CLEAR SOUPS, without fats. Includes broths, bouillon or consommé made from meat, poultry or fish. Fat-free vegetable broth or bouillon (eg. onion or mushroom) is permitted, as long as all bits of vegetable matter are strained out.

ARTIFICIALLY SWEETENED GELATIN DESSERT, no more than 12 calories per half-cup serving. Check package to be sure.

CONDIMENTS, now includes mustard and vinegar (not sweet types), lemon and lime juice, onion and garlic powder in small amounts. Also may use small amounts of dry wine or other spirit in recipes, as long as the alcohol is allowed to cook away. Soy sauce is permitted as long as it contains no sugar or caramel.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:13 PM   #11
Carly

Quote:
I found a reference on another low carb forum. It seems he updated the list of allowed foods when he published his cookbook in 1972, which would have been about the time my mother and sisters and I used the diet. I remember my mother cooking many of his recipes.

Sorry, still no yogurt or milk on QWL...

Here is the quote:

UPDATES TO THE QWL FOOD LISTS

(from the QWL Cookbook, published in 1972)

LEAN MEATS .. now includes lean pork, ham and lean sausages. Also lean game meats such as venison and rabbit, as well as chicken livers.

FISH AND SEAFOOD .. now includes all varieties of canned fish or seafood packed in water, or if packed in oil or sauce should be drained and washed under running water to remove it.

CLEAR SOUPS, without fats. Includes broths, bouillon or consommé made from meat, poultry or fish. Fat-free vegetable broth or bouillon (eg. onion or mushroom) is permitted, as long as all bits of vegetable matter are strained out.

ARTIFICIALLY SWEETENED GELATIN DESSERT, no more than 12 calories per half-cup serving. Check package to be sure.

CONDIMENTS, now includes mustard and vinegar (not sweet types), lemon and lime juice, onion and garlic powder in small amounts. Also may use small amounts of dry wine or other spirit in recipes, as long as the alcohol is allowed to cook away. Soy sauce is permitted as long as it contains no sugar or caramel.
Awesome!!!! I may need some SF Jello very soon.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:55 PM   #12
SlimFast
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SlimFast
Stats: 251+/204.8/115
WOE: Cycling 72hr Water Fasts w/ Keto Meals
Start Date: Discovered Dr. Fung on September 27, 2016
I suggest watching the SF jello and other sweet products. They not only stall me, but they also make me absolutely RAVENOUSLY hungry. I read that a percentage of the population gets an insulin spike from them, and I must be in this segment of the population. Just something to keep in mind.
SlimFast is offline   Reply With Quote