Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2016, 01:04 PM   #1
Nightmare
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Nightmare
Stats: 258/222.5/185
Almost done with first week, had a few questions

Hey everyone, I'm a medi noob but I'm familiar weight loss and dieting. I'm a 25 year old male that weighed 258 lbs (which is too heavy for someone only 5'11") at my first weigh in. The diet was tough this week but the meds and supplements certainly helped. They have me at 900 protein calories plus two low cal snacks. This puts me at roughly 1100 calories a day.

My questions:

Should I eat breakfast and drink the normal amount of water that I do for breakfast before my first check in tomorrow morning? Water adds weight so my weigh in weight be affected.

I'm an avid weight lifter, having lifted weights for 4 plus years, so I'm concerned about strength and muscle loss on such a low calorie diet. How much strength and muscle will i lose?

How long will it take to lose the weight? My goal weight is 200 lbs.

What are their methods for weight maintenance? In the past I've reached goal weights just to eventually put the weight back on and more sometimes.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2016, 02:05 PM   #2
MSQueen68
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MSQueen68
Stats: 203.8/148.6/150
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: March 2016
Hi Nightmare! What a name!

Water does add weight, especially at weigh in. However, my clinic had a Tanita scale that was able to tell how much of your weight was muscle mass, fat mass and water weight. For me personally, I wanted as much weight loss as possible. My weigh in is on Mondays at 1130AM. I start work at 7AM so I'd have my coffee early and I would drink very lightly up to my weigh in time (I do not typically eat breakfast so I didn't have to worry about that). That's just me personally. Since the scale can tell muscle/body mass from fat and from water, it can tell also when your water weight is too low.

I am not an avid weight lifter however, I am a very avid spin enthusiast. When I first started medi weightloss, the low calorie/low fat diet made it hard for me to have energy/stamina to get thru a spin class. That lasted about a month and then I became more accustomed to it and now I have no problems at all. Because this is low calorie/low fat but high protein, I did not lose muscle mass and I lost significantly fat mass especially off my stomach which is what I wanted. I've been doing spin for about 3 years and I have decent muscles in my legs and butt (I mean they are not huge and bulging but better and bigger than I've ever had in my life) and I did not want to lose that. And I didn't. I had some doubts in the beginning about the low calorie/low fat diet having had some good success with Atkins in the past (I really do well on low carb) but I must admit, now having lost 50lbs, that I lost the weight where I wanted to most and that was off my stomach/waist.

I lost 50lbs starting March 22 and just made this 50lbs goal on Monday, Sept. 12. I only gained one week and I gained .2lbs but other than that I lost every week. Since you're a guy, you'll probably lose faster but if you stick with the plan, you will lose. Sometimes you have to get a little creative with your protein (I now love turkey pepperoni and little egg white omelets made in the microwave). And I've stayed super low carb and it has worked out fine for me still doing spin, also doing TRX and starting barre. And I have a rebounder/sport trampoline (Bellicon) that I love and use every single day. I think keeping active and finding new ways to move and work out has really helped.

Anyway, good luck on your journey! It has worked for me. MWL does have a plan for once you reach goal and I'm debating about doing that part. MWL is not cheap and the whole time I've been doing this, my thought process is that I have to do this in such a way that it is doable and livable so I don't gain the weight back. I don't know if I want to do/pay for their maintenance plan. Still deciding.

But good luck! It works!
MSQueen68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:00 PM   #3
Mamamia9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamamia9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
Hey everyone, I'm a medi noob but I'm familiar weight loss and dieting. I'm a 25 year old male that weighed 258 lbs (which is too heavy for someone only 5'11") at my first weigh in. The diet was tough this week but the meds and supplements certainly helped. They have me at 900 protein calories plus two low cal snacks. This puts me at roughly 1100 calories a day.

My questions:

Should I eat breakfast and drink the normal amount of water that I do for breakfast before my first check in tomorrow morning? Water adds weight so my weigh in weight be affected.

I'm an avid weight lifter, having lifted weights for 4 plus years, so I'm concerned about strength and muscle loss on such a low calorie diet. How much strength and muscle will i lose?

How long will it take to lose the weight? My goal weight is 200 lbs.

What are their methods for weight maintenance? In the past I've reached goal weights just to eventually put the weight back on and more sometimes.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Hi nightmare, welcome to our board!! I'm a newbie to this journey as well but I can share with you what 'be learned for the past 8 weeks. For me, my calories allowance is a lot lower than you consisting of 600-700 protein calories and 800--850 total calories on my workout days. I was very weak for the first 2-3 weeks as my body tried to adjust to the new change. However, they had me started on work out on week 2 with 2-3 times a week on 30min. Cardio. They haven't let me do any weights yet since we are trying to solely on losing body fat and not focus on gaining muscles yet. According to their scale, I've lost mostly body fat and not muscles. I can say that my energy level has improved, and my intensity in the gym is getting better. I say communicate with them and seek their advice since they know you best. I have doubts here and there and have concerns about my metabolism, and muscle loss as well but so far so good! The evidence is there when I've lost inches and dropped 3 dress sizes in two months! Hang in there!
Mamamia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:17 AM   #4
Nightmare
Junior LCF Member

Hey guys thanks for the responses. Sorry I took so long to reply, life is busy. The results from my first weigh in were surprising to say the least. I had lost 10 lbs but only .5 pound of muscle according to how they measure that. While I am still skeptical about this, the weight loss results are undeniable. I have been able to work out almost exactly the same as I had previously. The only workout that has really suffered is my leg workout but its starting to come around (which is kinda peculiar considering that it should get easier since my legs have to lift less body weight now). Despite my concerns for muscle loss I'm going to stick with Medi for now. My next check in is in two days. While I don't expect the same results (10 lbs gone) I am excited to see what the scale will say.

MS- Part of why I chose them was the fact that they said they could help keep the weight off. While not knowing what their maintenance plan entails I'd recommend that you consider it. I know first hand it is very difficult to transition from diet to maintenance without weight rebound. If my weight had not rebounded after my last diet causing me to give up on my weight loss goals I'd probably still be in good shape and I would not have even needed Medi. From a cost perspective you could look at it like how much does maintenance cost vs doing the program again. If you do decide to do the maintenance program I'd love to hear about it.

Mamamia- They had recommended to me that I don't workout the first week but I was very stubborn as I had been following a strict workout schedule previously. Also I think my calories are higher because I am a guy. Did they recommend the workout plan for you or is it something you came up with?
Old 09-26-2016, 04:17 PM   #5
Mamamia9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamamia9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
Hey guys thanks for the responses. Sorry I took so long to reply, life is busy. The results from my first weigh in were surprising to say the least. I had lost 10 lbs but only .5 pound of muscle according to how they measure that. While I am still skeptical about this, the weight loss results are undeniable. I have been able to work out almost exactly the same as I had previously. The only workout that has really suffered is my leg workout but its starting to come around (which is kinda peculiar considering that it should get easier since my legs have to lift less body weight now). Despite my concerns for muscle loss I'm going to stick with Medi for now. My next check in is in two days. While I don't expect the same results (10 lbs gone) I am excited to see what the scale will say.

MS- Part of why I chose them was the fact that they said they could help keep the weight off. While not knowing what their maintenance plan entails I'd recommend that you consider it. I know first hand it is very difficult to transition from diet to maintenance without weight rebound. If my weight had not rebounded after my last diet causing me to give up on my weight loss goals I'd probably still be in good shape and I would not have even needed Medi. From a cost perspective you could look at it like how much does maintenance cost vs doing the program again. If you do decide to do the maintenance program I'd love to hear about it.

Mamamia- They had recommended to me that I don't workout the first week but I was very stubborn as I had been following a strict workout schedule previously. Also I think my calories are higher because I am a guy. Did they recommend the workout plan for you or is it something you came up with?

How was your 2nd week weigh in? What an awesome first week result! I would only dream to lose that much in a month, let alone in 1 week. As far as the work out, they prescribed it to me. Their reason is since i'm still considered in an acute phase with such a low calorie, they don't want me to risk overdoing things. They said over working out, with low calories, low carb could result in extra hunger and cravings. Did you notice any such thing with your work out load? I used to do boot camp stuff for my work out, and 1-2 hours/6 days a week. Now, I only get to keep it pretty low. However, I will add in the weights back really soon. For maintenance, I was told that once we hit our goal, they will run a metabolic test to determine our resting metabolic rate and prescribed us the exact calories and things. They said they don't mind if we stay no more than 3 pounds up during this stage, and if we slip and gain more than that then they will help us get it back to where we supposed to be. Right now, at week 9, they even let me go in twice a month, but I do keep up with my weekly shot. I love the support and accountability of this program! Keep us update on your progress.
Mamamia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:08 PM   #6
Nightmare
Junior LCF Member

My second week weigh-in I "only" lost 6 lbs. They added fruit back in 3 times a week for me now. I'm not sure if they did this for my own good or cause they want me to slow down so I can pay them more. (just joking haha)

I'm not sure that I experienced additional hunger and craving from exercising but I think the credit for that goes to the appetite suppressant. Were you doing an exercise routine before you started the program?

I think because I was doing a routine already before I started my body was used to the training enabling me to continue my routine after starting this program. I find my training is much more difficult in a limited calorie state so it takes a lot more mental fortitude it push through it. I actually wanted add in another weight lifting day to just make one of the other weight lifting days easier but I'm not sure that my body could handle it at this stage of the program.