Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-30-2017, 10:07 AM   #1
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Cholesterol Code results

Some of you may know about Dave Feldman who has been experimenting with several 'hacks' for those trying to lower cholesterol numbers for things like insurance. I don't have any concern, but my doctors have been 'making noises' about increasing LDL (too much Kerrygold?), despite the fact that I have high HDL and low trigs, which is positive for heart health.

Dave's latest experiment involved carbs for those of us who regularly eat very low carb. He added about 100g of carbs for 3 days prior to testing and lowered his LDL significantly. I get labs every 4 months, so I decided to try it myself.

I recall that when I took a GTT, the rule was at least 150g of carbs for 3 days prior to testing, so I thought that might be some metabolic 'switch' that would work on LDL. So I did that, drastically reducing fat as I increased carbs. Dave also advises only 12-14 hours fasting before the blood draw, so that meant eating later in the evening than I usually do.

I got the results today and was astounded--my excellent HDL and trigs stayed at their levels, but my LDL dropped 45 points! I was not trying to 'fool' my doctors, so when my endo remarked on the excellent drop in LDL, I explained what I'd done and how I thought it might be similar to the GTT--i.e., this might actually be a more accurate assessment of my LDL than if I'd remained in ketosis. He agreed that it was a reasonable assumption and saw no problem with my doing this at all.

By the way, I went happily back to my VLC eating right after the blood draw and had no cravings, etc. from my 'experiment.'
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote