Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 10-17-2011, 06:07 AM   #1
MMBlack
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MMBlack
Stats: 280/218/140, 5'7"
WOE: PSMF/Ketogenic
Start Date: 11 May 2011
PSMF or Keto, anyone?

I am currently cycling between PSMF (Protein-Sparing Modified Fast) and a ketogenic diet with 2 free meals per week.

Anyone have experience with either of these diets? Tips? Suggestions?

I would love to hear your thoughts -- thanks!
MMBlack is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2011, 06:13 AM   #2
Medic2038
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Medic2038
Stats: 223/184/165
WOE: Standard Ketogenic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMBlack View Post
I am currently cycling between PSMF (Protein-Sparing Modified Fast) and a ketogenic diet with 2 free meals per week.

Anyone have experience with either of these diets? Tips? Suggestions?

I would love to hear your thoughts -- thanks!
Hey what's up? I'm a LMcD nerd myself.
I followed an SKD with great success earlier this year. End of March-June I dropped 24lbs (223-199), and about 10% bodyfat (started at 30%, i'm just under 20 now).

I considered doing a PSMF, but just went with the SKD instead. You just have to be careful doing PSMF that you don't actually develop an eating disorder.
Medic2038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
MMBlack
Junior LCF Member

Hi! Thanks much for the advice. It took me a minute to figure out what "LMcD" stood for, but now I get it. I have a copy of his eBook and was dismayed to find that a Category 3 doesn't do refeeds, LOL. It seems to me that PSMF is too low in fat content and Keto is too high, but I'm experimenting with what works best. It's easier to manipulate calories with fat -- a serving of Trader Joe's almond butter with flax seeds, for example, gives me an instant 200 calories with negligible carbs.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
jjcanada
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jjcanada
Stats: 150/141/130 5'9
WOE: healthy choices
Start Date: every morning...
Hi there! I'm on Day 4 on PSMF - borderline Category 1/2 female - it's challenging no doubt! I'm going for 6 days on and the a refeed day on Saturday to make Week #1.

I was planning on doing 3-4 weeks of this (vacation to Thailand on Nov 9!!!!) but it is HARD. I feel very sluggish and sleepy all day. And I hate not doing my cardio. So, I might switch back to a CKD/traditional low-carb with a flex day/pseudo-refeed-freemeal-what-have-you every weekend.

you are what you believe - the tao

J.G! Just Giv'r!!!
jjcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
Medic2038
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Medic2038
Stats: 223/184/165
WOE: Standard Ketogenic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMBlack View Post
Hi! Thanks much for the advice. It took me a minute to figure out what "LMcD" stood for, but now I get it. I have a copy of his eBook and was dismayed to find that a Category 3 doesn't do refeeds, LOL. It seems to me that PSMF is too low in fat content and Keto is too high, but I'm experimenting with what works best. It's easier to manipulate calories with fat -- a serving of Trader Joe's almond butter with flax seeds, for example, gives me an instant 200 calories with negligible carbs.
Well the fat content of the diet is more or less irrelevant. It's more along the lines of if you want to drop weight fast or not. Basically in PSMF you're not eating any real dietary fat, so that all of the calorie loss comes from stored body fat. As long as you're not eating the carbs, your body IS using fat. The fat is there really to allow you to eat more.

As long as you're getting enough protein your body won't pull too much from your muscle tissue.

Really the only point to refeeds is if you're hurting in the gym (or unless you want an occasional cheat meal). I do more of a powerlifting routine so energy was never a problem for me, I do high weight low reps. Right now my gym is out of commission because I'm getting work done on the house, so I'm not even lifting atm.
Medic2038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
MMBlack
Junior LCF Member

I am starting a PSMF again on March 17, St. Patrick's Day! I have an event scheduled 5 months from then, for which I need to look absolutely amazing (LOL), so if anybody wants to follow along or join me ... PS, I've been pretty much off-plan for 5 months, but only regained a net of 5 pounds, which is great. That means I've reset my "set point" or whatever it's called to 220 pounds; that was my exact weight this morning. I'd prefer to start the PSMF at 215, but if it's 220, so be it. LET'S DO THIS!
Old 03-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
Salamander
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Salamander
Stats: 5'0"- 46
WOE: Stillmans
Hi MMBlack,

I did the PSMF a couple years ago and was very successful. I had less than 10 lbs to lose. I was category 2 at that time, so I got the 2 free meals per week. I'm in maintenance now, but I would do it again for a short time before a vacation. I kept a journal during that time. This makes me want to reread it! Anyway, good luck!!

Sally
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 170/129.8/125-130 5'1
WOE: lc
This is low fat, high protein and very low calorie right?

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=883453
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
Salamander
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Salamander
Stats: 5'0"- 46
WOE: Stillmans
Yes, there is a minimum protein requirement based on your weight and that is where the bulk of the calories are to come from- extremely low fat and protein. LC veggies and fish oil capsules make up the rest.
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:10 AM   #10
MMBlack
Junior LCF Member

It's the most effective weight loss method I've ever found, actually, but I wouldn't consider doing it for the whole 5 months. I'll probably just do PSMF for about 4-6 weeks and regular LC -- or maybe Dukan? -- for the duration. Any tips from your old journal, Salamander?
Old 07-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #11
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 170/129.8/125-130 5'1
WOE: lc
Bump

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=883453
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote