Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #91
stacy1131
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stacy1131
Stats: 179/170/160
Start Date: start again nov 2014 before thanksgiving
well I did get the book and have read the first couple chapters. so I am not tracking food or eating only low carb. I do notice how carbs do not hold me very long. I am eating every 3-4 hours because I am really hungry. not really sure how I will loose wt unless I make sure I eat low cal or low carb. I was at the check out today reading the covers of magazines and was not at all interested in the diet of the month this time. I will be reading more tonight. hope you all are doing good on our non diet woe. love it!!
stacy1131 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2015, 03:01 PM   #92
stacy1131
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stacy1131
Stats: 179/170/160
Start Date: start again nov 2014 before thanksgiving
still reading - slow reader I guess. im loving this woe. do u find it hard to quit eating sometimes. I guess I eat too fast and if I drank more water with my food I would fill up faster. will keep reading. let me know how yall are doing.
stacy1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:09 PM   #93
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: Keto/IF
Start Date: HDE Jan 2015, IF Feb 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy1131 View Post
well I did get the book and have read the first couple chapters. so I am not tracking food or eating only low carb. I do notice how carbs do not hold me very long. I am eating every 3-4 hours because I am really hungry. not really sure how I will loose wt unless I make sure I eat low cal or low carb. I was at the check out today reading the covers of magazines and was not at all interested in the diet of the month this time. I will be reading more tonight. hope you all are doing good on our non diet woe. love it!!
One of my favorite parts of HDE/intuitive eating is not tracking food. I hate doing it and it never lasts anyway. Just waiting for the next time I feel hungry is so much easier.
I am also eating low carb. After many years of trial and error, I have learned that my body is its best when I significantly lower carbs and stay off junk food. I feel more energy and have a better, steadier mood. Good for you for rejecting the diet of the month. A total waste of time, IMHO. You have to find what works best for YOUR body and for some of us, this can take some time. Which of course is not what the general "dieting" population wants to hear. We love a quick, painless fix. Unfortunately, it doesn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy1131 View Post
still reading - slow reader I guess. im loving this woe. do u find it hard to quit eating sometimes. I guess I eat too fast and if I drank more water with my food I would fill up faster. will keep reading. let me know how yall are doing.
Sure, at first you will find it hard to stop eating. Its a habit. But if you are mindful of 1) eating only(mostly) when hungry, 2) eating what sounds good to you and is good for your body, and 3) slow down and enjoy each bite, then soon you will recognize the mechanisms at work naturally telling you its time to stop. You will be building a new, healthier habit, which takes some time.

Keep up the good work! Its easy to see you are sincere about giving this WOE a real effort. That's where it has to start!

Make good choices. I choose love and good health.

"In the beginning, we make our habits. Over time, our habits make us."

Eat clean and keep moving.
And laugh a lot!
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #94
deedee
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/163/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
I just ordered this book so I'm excited to see this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post
Sure, at first you will find it hard to stop eating. Its a habit. But if you are mindful of 1) eating only(mostly) when hungry, 2) eating what sounds good to you and is good for your body, and 3) slow down and enjoy each bite, then soon you will recognize the mechanisms at work naturally telling you its time to stop.
Wow, this seems so impossible to me. Hopefully it really is one of those things that gets easier with practice, but I can't even picture it. I clear my plate, always. I have trouble even focusing if there is a "bad" food in the house, much less on my plate.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:41 PM   #95
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

I was just re-reading "How to have your cake and Skinny Jeans too" and realize that Josie Spinardi said she would have a new book out soon (back when she published this one) but there is nothing yet.

Anyone know why?

And laugh a lot!
Old 10-18-2015, 11:41 AM   #96
LoCarbGal
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
I have wondered that myself! Where the heck did she go??

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Part 2
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:23 PM   #97
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

JOSSSSSSSIEEEEE, where are you???

Maybe she'll hear us wondering....

And laugh a lot!
Old 10-26-2015, 07:53 AM   #98
Galveston Gal
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0" Maintenance
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat added JUDDD 10-12-15
will have to find this book
Old 10-26-2015, 11:08 AM   #99
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galveston Gal View Post
will have to find this book
You'll be glad you did. It will give you lots to think about!

And laugh a lot!
Old 10-31-2015, 11:41 AM   #100
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/113/100-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Although I mentioned this in October Chat, I'm going to put this here because it seems to belong in the Spinardi thread.

There is a thought-provoking piece about anorexia in particular that seems more widely true of eating disorders and possibly of bad habits that (in general) prove so hard to break that it suggests some interesting brain wiring that needs to be managed:

It's online in NYMag

The Neuroscience of Anorexia Reveals Why It’s So Hard to Treat

Well worth reading.
Quote:
. In the brain, the behaviors associated with anorexia act a lot like habits, those daily decisions we make without thinking. And habits, according to both the scientific evidence and the colloquial wisdom, are phenomenally difficult to break. This new finding helps explain why anorexia has historically been so hard to treat: Anorexic patients are essentially fighting their own brains in an uphill battle for wellness. But more important, the new research may also point toward new and better ways to help those with the eating disorder overcome it...

Anorexia may be more about decision-making than some form of extreme willpower. When her patients left treatment, they often returned to their old environment, which was filled with cues related to eating-disorder behaviors. These cues, then, triggered the behaviors that her patients had struggled so hard to break. That these behaviors had become habitual on the neurological level was a key finding, since it meant that many with anorexia were making these decisions without being aware of it. However these habits started (and no one really knows exactly why), they became cemented in place...Their routines had become entrenched and remarkably resistant to change.
(I saw this piece mentioned in LCF Lobby.)

Mar. 2017 Rehabbing a foot and concussion. I currently have a lot of physiotherapy. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:25 PM   #101
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

these behaviors had become habitual on the neurological level was a key finding, since it meant that many with anorexia were making these decisions without being aware of it. However these habits started (and no one really knows exactly why), they became cemented in place...Their routines had become entrenched and remarkably resistant to change.

I believe this is true for almost any type of behavior. Binging and overeating included. It takes a lot of focus and effort to hone in on what comes so naturally to us. But changing "bad habits" can be done. Intention and awareness toward the choices we automatically make isn't easy. But feeling sick and tired most of the time isn't easy either.

GREAT article, Slow. Our behaviors are ingrained and subtle sometimes, but when we want to, we can change them. We have the ability to change the bad into the good which will give us better health and peace of mind.

And laugh a lot!
Old 11-03-2015, 07:49 AM   #102
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
This is very a interesting article.

I have ALWAYS had the habit of coming home and eating something right away, having dinner, then dessert...... always dessert. I did some self-reflection a couple years back and I think it all started in school. Since 4th grade or so, I felt like I couldn't be seen eating more than a pittance at school. So I would come home, famished, ready to relax and not be judged and be able to EAT. I think that just stuck with me, even though no one pays attention now (if they ever did).

I have tried all sorts of things to stop the evening eating. Lately it has been to make a pot of decaf coffee to drink instead of eat. I pulled in the driveway last night, started to get out of the car, and right at the point where my mind usually goes to "what kind of junk food is in the house?" I noticed I thought about how good the coffee was going to be.

I immediately thought of this thread and new habits. I am going to keep making the coffee and try to get this one to stick.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:56 AM   #103
Beowulf
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beowulf
Stats: 148/138/130# 5'6" 60yrs
WOE: JUDDD+LC
Start Date: Aug 2015 JUDDD experiment
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post

I noticed I thought about how good the coffee was going to be.

I immediately thought of this thread and new habits. I am going to keep making the coffee and try to get this one to stick.
That's wonderful! Congrats on the new mindset. You've inspired me to try to break some of my less-than-helpful habits.
JUDDD settling point with restricted UDs = TBD

Beowulf's Journey
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=875478
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #104
UtahDesert
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UtahDesert
Stats: 170?/125/122
WOE: JUDDD/IE
Start Date: 1/27/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I have ALWAYS had the habit of coming home and eating something right away, having dinner, then dessert...... always dessert. I did some self-reflection a couple years back and I think it all started in school. Since 4th grade or so, I felt like I couldn't be seen eating more than a pittance at school. So I would come home, famished, ready to relax and not be judged and be able to EAT. I think that just stuck with me, even though no one pays attention now (if they ever did).

I have tried all sorts of things to stop the evening eating. Lately it has been to make a pot of decaf coffee to drink instead of eat. I pulled in the driveway last night, started to get out of the car, and right at the point where my mind usually goes to "what kind of junk food is in the house?" I noticed I thought about how good the coffee was going to be.
That's exactly the kind of thing that helps me--identifying a context (say, when I walk through the front door, hang up a jacket, and let the dogs out), where I tend to eat something just because it's a habit. Then I can consciously make a choice. Am I actually hungry? Is there something really good I want to eat? And if the answer to the first two questions is yes, then I ask one more--will I be happier if I eat that thing now or if I do something else?
UtahDesert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:30 PM   #105
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

It's been a year now

Just wanted to jot down an update on my HDE LCHF life.
I continue to find it the best fit for me. After "dieting" on and off for 30 long years, it really has become evident to me that, for me, its the answer to my good health.
I did have a few weeks of holiday Overdoing It but I did not beat myself up over it. When I ate a few xmas goodies, I could feel the result right away. I can handle a cookie or a piece of candy once in awhile, but having sugar or other white stuff two days in a row does not work for me!
I still eat the foods I want, which continue to be mostly LCHF. My first meal is usually eggs and bacon or just my version of a LC mocha. I wish I could get off the SF chocolate syrup; I have cut them down to every other day, but it ain't easy! I try to have a big salad with lots of greens, cukes, radishes, celery, etc and some kind of LCHF homemade salad dressing.
I eat more fish than I ever have. I love it and I just feel lighter afterwards then when I have steak or something. I like chicken too, and I usually roast one a week and make bone broth from the carcass. With the broth I make an egg drop soup. Its become one of my favorite foods.
Not sure about weight loss, I HATE the scale and have been fine just going by having to buy smaller clothes and how much better I feel.

And laugh a lot!
Old 02-12-2017, 06:28 PM   #106
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Bumping this both for the Spinardi discussion and the neuroscience item on habit and eating.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:53 PM   #107
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Giving this a nudge as I like the Spinardi phrases so much and wonder if their descriptions might help
Old 04-13-2017, 10:21 AM   #108
Joanna
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Joanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Giving this a nudge as I like the Spinardi phrases so much and wonder if their descriptions might help
Slowsure - I am with you. Her phrases like mean girl munchies and gasping are so, so helpful. I love this book and the ease of applying to your everyday life. I think pairing it with UD/DD's is such a powerful combination that can applied to a weight loss and hunger directed eating journey.

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...nny-jeans.html
50 pounds gone baby
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:32 AM   #109
SlowSure
Blabbermouth!!!

Bumping this for the neuroscience discussion.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:59 PM   #110
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quietnite
Stats: 278/255/165
I am bumping this thread because I was just reading the old thread for fun (when I need motivation or calming I go back and read some of the 100+ old threads like a book) and realized that I should reread this book as I feel like I'm ready to focus some thinking and learning on why my UP days are so much more stressful for me than DDs. I think I'll post here as I do some experimenting while I reread and see what works form me as I go. It's a really helpful thread.
quietnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #111
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

This is a great book that helped me a lot. I rarely eat without feeling hungry anymore. It becomes "normal" after awhile.

I look forward to your updates! and wish you good luck in finding what works for you.

And laugh a lot!
Old 10-03-2017, 08:08 AM   #112
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for the support. Your posts in here were really informative and helpful. I had read them before but I think now I am in the place to hear them and make real use of the information. I think I'm ready to move forward in this area.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:59 AM   #113
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

I am rereading Skinny Jeans and the thing that really is making sense to me this time around is "Eating Cause you Ate". Having a DD the very next day just blasts that thinking out of the water for me on JUDDD. On an UD, even if it involves treat foods that are not particularly healthy for me, the "I'll just keep eating cause I'm ruined anyway" does not kick in" because of two things:
a) a DD after treats or higher calories UDs has often shown a loss on the scale so that horrible thinking can't really get any kind of hold on me
b) a nice, clean DD is right there the minute I wake up in the morning, and I (at least right now) eat the same healthy things on DD so not decisions, no stress, nothing is ruined or messed up that can't be cleaned up easily and right away- with NO WEiRD dietary changes or "I'm never eating that again" thinking. There's no reason for "eating cause I ate" I haven't broken or ruined anything that my rotations can't fix- and I HAVEN'T BROKEN ROTATION!

Wow, this is just amazing. Thanks for letting me think out loud. Processing the things that are changing and happening in my thinking make them stickier and clearer so I feel like the learning becomes more permanent.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:30 AM   #114
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/126.8/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietnite View Post
I am rereading Skinny Jeans and the thing that really is making sense to me this time around is "Eating Cause you Ate". Having a DD the very next day just blasts that thinking out of the water for me on JUDDD. On an UD, even if it involves treat foods that are not particularly healthy for me, the "I'll just keep eating cause I'm ruined anyway" does not kick in" because of two things:
a) a DD after treats or higher calories UDs has often shown a loss on the scale so that horrible thinking can't really get any kind of hold on me
b) a nice, clean DD is right there the minute I wake up in the morning, and I (at least right now) eat the same healthy things on DD so not decisions, no stress, nothing is ruined or messed up that can't be cleaned up easily and right away- with NO WEiRD dietary changes or "I'm never eating that again" thinking. There's no reason for "eating cause I ate" I haven't broken or ruined anything that my rotations can't fix- and I HAVEN'T BROKEN ROTATION!

Wow, this is just amazing. Thanks for letting me think out loud. Processing the things that are changing and happening in my thinking make them stickier and clearer so I feel like the learning becomes more permanent.
I see the JUDDD magic just washing over you.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #115
quietnite
Senior LCF Member

Just to continue my thinking out loud...

Up days are harder for me by far than down days because choices are harder for me. Deciding what to eat or not to eat can be absolutely crazy making with my disordered thinking from years of dieting. But JUDDD takes a lot of the pressure off, I don't have to worry about getting it right all the time. I do have to focus on what I'm eating, how it makes my body feel, what kind of thinking goes on, what scale thing goes on. The scale stuff right now has a lot to do with trying to figure out what makes me retain water and what makes the inflamation in my knees worse. The pain level is really a borometer of what I should or should not eat again in the near future. There is quite a bit of experimenting going on. My weight loss is slow but consistent for the last 3 months that I've been doing rotations again, so as long as the chart so a downward trend in my fitbit, I'm not really changing calories or letting my diet head kick in. I'm trying to learn how to eat a healthy balanced, not restricted and not bingey up day.

So far it feels like I'm learning stuff

Thanks for listening.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #116
p0rtia
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: p0rtia
Stats: 5'7" 307/175/150-160
WOE: ex-Atkins; low cal/low carb + 4:3 JUDDD
Start Date: May 22, 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietnite View Post
Just to continue my thinking out loud...

Up days are harder for me by far than down days because choices are harder for me. Deciding what to eat or not to eat can be absolutely crazy making with my disordered thinking from years of dieting. But JUDDD takes a lot of the pressure off, I don't have to worry about getting it right all the time. I do have to focus on what I'm eating, how it makes my body feel, what kind of thinking goes on, what scale thing goes on. The scale stuff right now has a lot to do with trying to figure out what makes me retain water and what makes the inflamation in my knees worse. The pain level is really a borometer of what I should or should not eat again in the near future. There is quite a bit of experimenting going on. My weight loss is slow but consistent for the last 3 months that I've been doing rotations again, so as long as the chart so a downward trend in my fitbit, I'm not really changing calories or letting my diet head kick in. I'm trying to learn how to eat a healthy balanced, not restricted and not bingey up day.
A lot of your musings here resonate with my own thoughts and experiences. To chime in, I also find UDs harder than DDs--but my reason is that I tend to be hungry on UDs but not on DDs. After a year I started skipping breakfast, and that helped--I think that UD breakfast really triggered the hunger.

I have low-level arthritic pain--but when I go lo-carb, it goes away and I feel quite euphoric. The difference is amazing.

I am currently eyeing the challenge of eating healthily on UDs--for the rest of my life. I haven't been doing that for the past two months, and it's interesting to see how counter-intuitive that goal seems right now. Fortunately, I know intellectually that the first step is to get back in the swing of healthy eating, and I'm confident that I can do that.

A final thought--planning is everything for me. If I plan ahead, I enjoy my food to the max and don't eat to much. If I don't, the chances of going off the rails increase.