Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #1
TMB
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TMB
Splenda and Other sweetners

Sorry if this has been asked before but I was told Splenda, Equal and the like other than Steveia raise youe blood sugar or cause it to spike. Is this true??
TMB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2017, 12:34 PM   #2
enemysugar
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: enemysugar
Stats: 278/146/160 Goal Met 8/2017
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: January 25th 2017
Probably depends on who you talk too. I had to stop all sugar, real or fake not long after I started this WOE because it either stalled me or made me hungry. I have read research on both sides. Some are adamant that it does and some are just as adamant that it does not. I think it depends on the individual.
enemysugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:43 PM   #3
susan46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susan46
Stats: 256/215/150
WOE: High fat, low carb, moderate protein
Start Date: April 2016
I have read that many artificial sweeteners raise insulin levels, but not blood sugar levels. Dr. Jason Fung has written about this. As stated above, many people disagree with this for whatever reason.

I do intermittent fasting on a 20:4 basis to try to lower my fasting insulin levels and don't have any interest in messing with artificial sweeteners.
susan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:46 AM   #4
TMB
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan46 View Post
I have read that many artificial sweeteners raise insulin levels, but not blood sugar levels. Dr. Jason Fung has written about this. As stated above, many people disagree with this for whatever reason.

I do intermittent fasting on a 20:4 basis to try to lower my fasting insulin levels and don't have any interest in messing with artificial sweeteners.
Thanks, I will look that up and see what I can find
Old 09-17-2017, 12:38 PM   #5
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srinath_69
Stats: 238/149/138
WOE: Fibonnaci fasting, BPT atkins 20
Start Date: Jun 1, July 25, Aug 15, sept 15, Oct 12
Splenda can cause an increase in Blood glucose, cos Splenda is sucralose with 1gm dextrose per packet. Dextrose is glucose.
Sucralose is the sweetener in Splenda, 700 times sweeter than sugar logically you use 1/700th. So instead of 10gm sugar you use 1.5mg.
Besides that 70+% of t isn't even touched by your digestive system. So .5mg is broken down in your body.
I'd not worry about that affecting your blood sugar or insulin.
I've experimented with it a bit, it doesn't seem to be adding to glucose or to insulin. I don't know what else it can affect, I only got the finger pricking device to test glucose.

I also don't have it stalling my weight loss or hurting my maintenance for now (I'm @ ~160 and am staying there).
I am a big fan of it, and I hope it doesn't suddenly become bad for me.

Thanks.
Srinath.
srinath_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:15 AM   #6
TMB
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath_69 View Post
Splenda can cause an increase in Blood glucose, cos Splenda is sucralose with 1gm dextrose per packet. Dextrose is glucose.
Sucralose is the sweetener in Splenda, 700 times sweeter than sugar logically you use 1/700th. So instead of 10gm sugar you use 1.5mg.
Besides that 70+% of t isn't even touched by your digestive system. So .5mg is broken down in your body.
I'd not worry about that affecting your blood sugar or insulin.
I've experimented with it a bit, it doesn't seem to be adding to glucose or to insulin. I don't know what else it can affect, I only got the finger pricking device to test glucose.

I also don't have it stalling my weight loss or hurting my maintenance for now (I'm @ ~160 and am staying there).
I am a big fan of it, and I hope it doesn't suddenly become bad for me.

Thanks.
Srinath.
Thanks for the reply Just was told that Splenda would spike blood sugar and I was affraid to use it because of the weight I'm trying to loose. So far I'm down 48 lbs but would like another 20 or so off this old body
Old 09-19-2017, 01:44 PM   #7
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srinath_69
Stats: 238/149/138
WOE: Fibonnaci fasting, BPT atkins 20
Start Date: Jun 1, July 25, Aug 15, sept 15, Oct 12
20 sounds good to me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB View Post
Thanks for the reply Just was told that Splenda would spike blood sugar and I was affraid to use it because of the weight I'm trying to loose. So far I'm down 48 lbs but would like another 20 or so off this old body
Yea another 20 off this body would let me nicely steal my sons jeans. A sub 32 waist. Thankfully he's only 14 and he's not choosing his clothes yet (so they're not falling off his butt).
Anyway I am pretty sure the sucralose wont hurt - however remember Splenda isn't sucralose. Its sucralose soaked in dextrose or maltodextrin or stuff like that. I do not touch that.
Sucralose if you even eat a gm of it is huge. Its the equivalent of 700+gm sugar. I'd bet you wont get anywhere near what would affect.
srinath_69 is offline   Reply With Quote