Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2017, 01:08 PM   #31
kind
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: >
Start Date: April1 2013
Hi,
Today is day 3 and doing good. Looks like I will be able to do 4 days.
I will do Magnesium. This time I'm watching to drink more then I did ,
I also exersice, walk and jog. some weight machines. And detoxing in the sauna 40 mins

and steam room 6-10 mins. and always a cool d in pool.
I have Dr. Fungs book and it helps. But more so here.
After this 4 day fast. Will back down for 3-4 days[But eat light.Then will do another fast.
kind is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2017, 04:25 AM   #32
MikeRatcliffe
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MikeRatcliffe
Hi Carolyn

I am on day 31 now and haven't had any issues.

I remember you starting to take potassium... I have been drinking bone broth whenever I start to feel strange and that has been enough so far. I did buy potassium supplements when you said you needed to start taking them.

It does free up some time but with 3 4-year-olds I still need to sit at the table with them and generally cook their meals.

I have been lost on average 1.15 lbs per day but for the last few days it has been around 1 lbs per day.

3 teaspoons of salt a day? that seems like a lot but I am a great believer that you should always do what feels right.

Energy wise my fast has been strange. I don't feel like I have more energy, in fact I always feel tired but at the same time I can't sit still for more than a few minutes... I just have to get up and do something. I am driving my wife crazy continually doing jobs around the house.

Because I am going LCHF after the fast I have had to stock up on all the necessities. My wife is struggling, not able to get enough variety so I might end my fast in order to support her and get her on track and then continue fasting.

Looking at before and after photos I look about the same but I guess that is because I have so much weight to lose... at the same time I am wearing clothes that I haven't been able to wear for a long time.

Whether I end my fast or not I will be in touch.

Mike
MikeRatcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:41 AM   #33
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: Keto/IF
Start Date: HDE Jan 2015, IF Feb 2016
Wow, you are doing great, Mike. I need to commit to a long fast for IR and autophagy, but my longest is about 48 so far.

How do you get your head in the right place to fast for so long? When I think about doing it, that voice in my head yells NO WAY! Maybe now that summer is over, I can do longer fasts.

Thanks for keeping us updated. Very interesting indeed, shows it can be done.

Carolyn, unbelievable that you are still fasting! Amazing! Do you feel like you've reaped many benefits from it? I'm not eating today but will have tea and broth and of course lots of water.

Make good choices. I choose love and good health.

"In the beginning, we make our habits. Over time, our habits make us."

Eat clean and keep moving.
And laugh a lot!

Last edited by JayLynn; 09-14-2017 at 08:45 AM..
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #34
kind
Major LCF Poster!

Hi,all.
Today is day 4 and I will stop for 3-days and do another fast.{How long depends.
Today I had to have 3/4 cup turkery broth. It help.
As of today weight was 118>So lost 4 lbs.That is 1 lb a day.
Have 8 lbs to go for my goal>110 and just see. Maybe 3 lbs or 4 more.
Now from what I have read we gain weight back when we eat. I hope not. So plan is to hold what I lost and watch types of foods and protons and Calaries. Keep 500 cals. till fast or maybe 1 good meal with more cals. the day before another fast.
What do u think?
Plus I walk, jog, and weight machines 4-5 of them and most of all *sauna and* steam room with all ways a cool down. I think detoxing that way is great.
Now when I do exersice I take more easy{While fasting.
Any more tips for me On Not gaining.?
I Hope this site keeps going and more will come. It just helps me here.
janet
Old 09-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #35
kind
Major LCF Poster!

Oh It sounded that today was last day of fast for few days. It will be Friday that I will stop.
For I have a outing to go to this Sat.{But I will really watch.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:41 AM   #36
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Janet you are doing great! All of you who are doing long fasts....very impressive and motivating!

And laugh a lot!
Old 09-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #37
kind
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks ,Jan.
Are you doing fasting? I do'nt think I will keep on doing 4 days.{Just some times. It is hard.
2-3 days a week sound right for me.}Each month and If.
Just have to play with it and see. But fasting will be some part of me dieting and keeping weight off.
That May be the hardest part>Keeping it off.
If might be for me also on most days and reg. fast too.
Do u find talking here helps?I do.Plus I eat healthy foods<Good fats, Good oil, and lots of vitamans.Plus watch calaries. Now all that said yes<I have few slips and gains.
But I get gains back off and keep going. Hope u post here more. Maybe we can give tips to each other to keep going.
Nice to talk to u.
Janet
Old 09-14-2017, 12:07 PM   #38
susan46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susan46
Stats: 256/215/150
WOE: High fat, low carb, moderate protein
Start Date: April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgwwilson View Post
Hi Mike,

You ARE doing great! Don't you love how much time it frees up?

Just a note if you keep going - around day 44 I needed to start supplementing with potassium. Prior to that I was fine with just salt and magnesium. Once I "ran out" of potassium I felt like I had "bonked". (Totally wiped out, muscle fatigue, etc.). It had completely reversed within an hour of taking 1,000 mg of potassium. Just something to keep your eye on if you continue on!
May I ask how you take 1,000 mg. of potassium? If there is such a supplement, I sure would like to know about it. It would save me a lot of carbs. No mineral supplement I have found has more than 99 mg. of potassium.

Thanks.
susan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #39
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Yes Janet, I do feel like talking here helps and I also learn so much.
I fast most days eating just one meal, sometimes two. I have some kind of mental block when it comes to going several days. Oddly enough, I do best when we have visitors, ie daughter is here for a few days. Maybe because I'm busy and not thinking about food. I think there's clearly some kind of mental/emotional thing going on with me.

I have lost 100 lbs and kept if off for about 5 years. I give myself tons of credit for that but still need to lose 30 or 40 and I have to be very careful to stay low carb for blood sugar control. I'm not on medicine and I want to keep it that way.

And laugh a lot!
Old 09-14-2017, 10:56 PM   #40
CreekWatcher
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan46 View Post
May I ask how you take 1,000 mg. of potassium? If there is such a supplement, I sure would like to know about it. It would save me a lot of carbs. No mineral supplement I have found has more than 99 mg. of potassium.

Thanks.
The only good potassium supplement I know of is the one that isn't sold as a supplement: NoSalt salt substitute. [God forbid--in my book--using it for it's advertised purpose.] Read the label to figure out how much you want to take, toss it towards the back of your tongue, and take a water chaser. It tastes terrible, but you don't taste it for long (or very much, if you do it about right). It beats the sneeze out of taking a series of horse pills--even if you don't have swallowing problems like I do. (You can find it in most grocery stores.)
CreekWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:10 AM   #41
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgwwilson
Stats: Highest weight 224. 208/156/124 Ht. 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb with IF (16/8), Extended Fasting
Start Date: May 16, 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan46 View Post

Thanks.
Hi,

For Potassium:
0.5 to 1.5 teaspoons of potassium citrate powder will
provide approximately 1,000 mg to 3,000 mg of potassium.

1 teaspoon of potassium chloride (NuSalt) will provide
3,180 mg of potassium

Either one of the above. Personally I prefer the potassium citrate as it's tasteless to me whereas the NuSalt is - salty! I mix 1/2 teaspoon into 20 oz. of ice water with a squeeze of lime and sip it over a couple of hours. I don't have any issues with a laxative effect that way.

I will also use Pure Encapsulation's brand of Potassium/Magnesium (Amazon) that provides 70 mg of magnesium and 140 mg of potassium per capsule. Since I don't have any issue swallowing capsules I'll take 8 of them to get 560 mg of mag. and 1,120 mg of potassium.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-15-2017, 08:35 AM   #42
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post

Carolyn, unbelievable that you are still fasting! Amazing! Do you feel like you've reaped many benefits from it? I'm not eating today but will have tea and broth and of course lots of water.
Hi Jaylynn,

Wonderful results!

Autophagy has certainly kicked in: the spider veins around my knees have almost dissapeared, some of the sun damaged spots on my legs and face have improved dramatically and my skin, in general, is softer and smoother than it has been in years.

I've lost an average of 0.5 pounds per day - so far 40 pounds. Waist has decreased from 40" to 33", so for the first time in 20 years I no longer fit the criteria for having "central obesity". Clothes wise, I've gone from a 1X top to a medium or large. Pants from a U.S. size 14 to a 10.

Every once in awhile I will check my blood glucose, just out of curiosity: my fasting glucose has always been in the mid 90's. It's now in the low 80's. . .

Current plan is to continue to the end of week 15 and then see. (I read someplace that it can take up to 15 weeks of fasting for a thorough "cellular sweep".) Since it's highly unlikely I'll ever again have the fat reserves to do this long of a fast, I figured I might as well take advantage of it.
At 154 pounds, I still have 30 pounds of fat reserves before I get to the maximum weight in my "ideal body weight" range.

100 pounds for you! Wow - what an accomplishment!!
Old 09-15-2017, 09:36 AM   #43
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Carolyn, what a wonderful thing you are doing for your body! I am truly impressed and what you and Mike are doing is really inspiring me. Like I've said, the longest I have managed is 48 hrs. I felt good but my mind just wouldn't cooperate. Thought about food a lot of that time and that really bothered me. Don't know why I can't be more at peace with it.

Dr Fung said that people who lose by fasting have less loose skin. Do you find that to be true? Maybe you didn't have much to lose so its not an issue for you.

How do you plan to break your fast? I bet it will feel weird eating and chewing again.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I am learning a lot and hopefully I can find it in me to venture into longer fasts without driving myself crazy.

And laugh a lot!
Old 09-15-2017, 11:28 AM   #44
cgwwilson
Senior LCF Member

Hi Jaylynn,

Day two (and sometimes three) is typically the hardest for most people. By the time you reach day four the going is smooth and surprisingly gets easier as you continue. I think a big part of that is because a lot of the "mind chatter" has been dealt with. . .

When the time is right for you you'll make the decision to try a 3 - 4 day fast (or longer). Until then just realize that the 48 hour fasts are still very powerful and many people experience wonderful results with them!

The autophagy thing seems to be dealing beautifully with the lose skin issue. I'll be 65 in a couple of weeks, and my skin is actually tighter, smoother and less "crepey" than before I started. Although my total weight lost when I reach goal will be 100 pounds, my body has had time to adapt so that might explain why I don't have very much in the way of lose skin (although my underarms are certainly flabby!) My highest weight was 224, but I lost 35 pounds on moderate low carb 5 years ago and then stalled. Had essentially hovered between 190 and 195 since then.

I started IF last year and the shorter fasts weren't enough to break through that stall.
When I started doing 7 - 10 day fasts last Fall I finally broke through and my weight went down to the high 160's. During the last few months of my husband's life this spring, I stopped fasting and the weight slowly crept back on. So, valuable like lesson for me: fasting on a regular basis will be a necessary routine for me from henceforth.

Breaking such an extended fast needs to be done very carefully due to the dangers of refeeding syndrome and refeeding edema. Although refeeding syndrome is rare (less than 1 in 200) and even less likely in a population who is not undernourished/in starvation mode it's a life threatening condition. Refeeding syndrome is caused by the too rapid reintroduction of carbs. (Refeeding edema is caused by eating too much protein too soon during the refeeding process. While it's not life threatening it can last for weeks and there's no known treatment.) The other problem with adding carbs back in too quickly is it's known to trigger a "feeding frenzy" type of behavior that's responsible for the rapid regaining of most or all of the weight loss experienced during the fasting period.

So, my personal plan will be to add about 250 calories worth of fat per day for the first four days before I start adding any significant source of carbs. Days one and two:just heavy cream in coffee. Day 3: add 1/2 Avocado twice a day. Day four: Salad greens with avocado and raw mushroom. Day five: same as above but add 1 egg and some macadamia nut butter. Day six: add an additional egg with a bit of cheese (maybe in an omelette form). Week two will be very similar, adding just a bit more protein and vegetable or nut based carbs per day. Week 3: I'll start adding some easily digested animal based protein like chicken or fish and see how that goes.

(More than you wanted to know!!)

Last edited by cgwwilson; 09-15-2017 at 11:30 AM..
cgwwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:57 AM   #45
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Carolyn, thank you so much for sharing your fasting experience. It really does motivate me and make me feel like I CAN DO THIS! No way is it more than I want to know... the more the better!

We are about the same age. I put on the weight after having each of my kids. After my last, I weighed over 300 and a couple times got under 300 but it never stuck. I have lost most of it with LC, its the only way to go for me. I just feel better, especially not eating processed carbs. I do love vegetables but don'e have them every day.

Another thing that is difficult sometimes is having food around that my husband eats. He has never had a weight or health problem and while he eats well most of the time, he does have snacks and likes things like potatoes and rice. I manage to stay away from them but knowing theyre here always drives me nuts. I have asked him to keep sweets hidden from me. If he buys cookies or candy he knows not to bring them in the house and keeps them in his shop. He really doesn't understand my struggle, and thats fine. Its just another part of the battle for me.

I really feel the need to experience some really intense autophagy and give my body a complete rest and chance to heal from so many years of abusing it.
Looking at my calendar, I will begin a 5 day fast next Wednesday. Too much social stuff going on until then, having plans to go out and eat with family and friends a couple times. (Why is eating such a social activity???)

You have a wonderful plan for adding food once you break your fast. I love eggs and usually have scrambled eggs after my shorter fasts.

Also wondering if you exercise regularly? Thats another one of my downfalls. I could go all day without much activity, but I know that I have to exercise or end up an old lady with a walker. (or worse)

You are so knowledgable and your experience is beyond helpful to me and I bet for lots of others, too. Thanks so much for sharing!

And laugh a lot!

Last edited by JayLynn; 09-15-2017 at 12:01 PM..
Old 09-17-2017, 09:29 AM   #46
kind
Major LCF Poster!

Hi,Every one.
Had a good weekend. So Today starts another fast.
And I hope to do 5 days? But taking a day at a time.
It seems Once I hit day 4 I have to stop.
But I hope not to this week.
That said I could not or would I want to fast any longer then 5 days and reset and start again.
Im ageing very well and I feel great. and No meds.
I exersice even when fasting{But take it easier as days of fast go on.
So today with my 1st day I will walk and jogg some. and Also hit 5 weight machines>To build and keep muscle and tone.
I also think detoxing is great and should do. I do sauna and steam room. Today will do 40 mins and 10 in steam and always a cool down. and as days go on with fast and days i go to gym is to watch time more so in sauna and do mins at a time.
Glad ;Im here as it helps me.
Age is what we all want but healthy and well being. Heath means all.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:19 AM   #47
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Janet, you are doing great! Yes, good health is everything. Too bad people don't understand that more when they are young. I sure didn't. Good job going to the gym. I have started a few times but I never keep going. I prefer to exercise at home. I can't do the sauna and steam, I just overheat too much and feel awful. But I know it is very good for you.

And laugh a lot!
Old 09-17-2017, 12:47 PM   #48
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srinath_69
Stats: 238/149/138
WOE: Fibonnaci fasting, BPT atkins 20
Start Date: Jun 1, July 25, Aug 15, sept 15, Oct 12
I need to be reading this and similar threads.

I've been unable to get back to fasting, my longest was 20 days Nov 24th to Dec 14th 2016. I got to 148lb but after that I have been hovering around the 160's.
I want to make a genuine run @ the 135 mark, or more to the point to where I don't have the grabs of fat around my midriff.

Anyway its a struggle to maintain 160's. Possibly because I have a slower metabolism now, however the bigger reason is likely that I have not lowered my set point and eliminated the visceral fat that causes all the problems.

I have a 24hr in as it stands. I am shooting for a 10-20 day - till there's no fat grabs left.

Thanks.
Srinath.
srinath_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:04 PM   #49
srinath_69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: srinath_69
Stats: 238/149/138
WOE: Fibonnaci fasting, BPT atkins 20
Start Date: Jun 1, July 25, Aug 15, sept 15, Oct 12
Breaking a fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgwwilson View Post
Hi Jaylynn,

<snip>

So, my personal plan will be to add about 250 calories worth of fat per day for the first four days before I start adding any significant source of carbs. Days one and two:just heavy cream in coffee. Day 3: add 1/2 Avocado twice a day. Day four: Salad greens with avocado and raw mushroom. Day five: same as above but add 1 egg and some macadamia nut butter. Day six: add an additional egg with a bit of cheese (maybe in an omelette form). Week two will be very similar, adding just a bit more protein and vegetable or nut based carbs per day. Week 3: I'll start adding some easily digested animal based protein like chicken or fish and see how that goes.

(More than you wanted to know!!)
My difficult day seems to depend on my previous meal - both quantity, time of day, rest of the day activity, as well as macros and what I ate.
I have broken long fasts very very badly as well as eat 1 huge meal and resume the next multi day fast. For example I ended a 9 day with a massive turkey meal on thanksgiving last year and went into a 20 dayer which also I broke around turkey.
I didn't even hear about Dr Fung till day 16 or so of that 20 which stands as my longest fast ever. So basically I did Fung fasting without even knowing about Dr Fung and quit doing it when I knew about him.

Anyway I heard that you kill several trillion intestinal bacteria every day past day 2 or 3 when fasting. The first refeed should favor them. Basically resistant starch, cruciferous vegetables, fermented veg and kefir etc

I've done that a few times on 4-5 day fasts and the interesting thing is you wake up heavier if you ate and went to bed quickly. Normally I lose ~1lb in a night (not counting hitting the restroom). A veggie laden dinner and I'll be up 2lb. Basically the bacteria get back to their original numbers.
Thanks.
Srinath.
srinath_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:22 PM   #50
kind
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Jan.
I should have gotten this head strong with getting body in shape years ago.
But I started April 1st 2013 and have not stopped. I can not wait for April 1st this coming year and it will be 5 years and see what I have done.
I know I'm very healthy and I feel great. ageing very well also. Don't look my age. But Hey I love and like me.ha
I have a gym at home also but it seems I like going every other day to the Y M C A.
Fasting just getting into it.. I watch calaries also. Nice talking to u Jan.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:30 AM   #51
MikeRatcliffe
Junior LCF Member

Hi Carolyn

Still going but watching my bloods because my blood glucose has shot up over the past couple of days... this is day 35 of my fast and I have lost 18.2 kg (40.12 lbs or 2 stone 12 lbs for my kinfolk).

My blood glucose is only 5.3 but that is almost the highest I have had during my fast so far. Because it is high I am feeling really hungry so I will just see what happens.

You mentioned your refeeding plan... I am sure you know, but be careful with eggs because some people get stomach cramps after eating eggs when refeeding.

I am doing fine, playing with the idea of ending my fast to help add some variety to my wife's meals. At the same time there is autophagy, which I will be really benefiting from. If I did end it then I would only eat for a couple of weeks before continuing so it almost feels like I may as well just continue fasting.

Anyhow, I just thought I would check in and let you know that I am doing fine.

JayLynn asked how I keep my head in the right place for so long... I think it is a combination of things but mostly just trusting the process. There are a few key points you should understand that make fasting much easier:
  • After day three you won't be very hungry at all... if you are just drink some bone broth.
  • Hunger comes in waves and rarely lasts more than half an hour.
  • When you feel hungry you are not normally hungry, you usually just need a drink of water.
  • When I feel hungry I tell myself it is my body getting ready to burn it's next load of fat.
  • If you do feel hungry ask yourself why. You will find that you crave food when you are e.g. bored, stressed, tired etc.
  • Keep yourself busy and you will forget all about food.
  • Have at least a teaspoonful of salt, drink plenty of water, take multivitamins and magnesium every day. If you do drink broth sip it or it will go right through you and you will miss out on the nutrients.
  • Understand that after the first 3-4 days fasting gets easier and easier. At times it can be hard but then have a cup of bone broth, make sure you take your vitamins and minerals and take an epson salt bath. This combination seems to work miracles when fasting.
  • Have epson salt baths to help up your magnesium levels.
  • Learn about the benefits of fasting as there are far more benefits than just weight loss.
  • Prepare for when you end your fast by making fermented veg like sauerkraut and kimchi as they are great to regenerate your gut flora.
  • Post on these forums. When you post it helps to focus your mind on what you are doing.
  • When you finish fasting I suggest you go LCHF to avoid gaining your weight back. You will gain some but it will be mostly water plus the weight of actually having some food in your gut.
  • Don't obsess with your weight as it can stay the same and even go up when you are fasting. When this happens your body is just preparing to drop more weight and your waist measurement will still be going down.
  • Enjoy wearing all the clothes that you have in your wardrobe that you thought you would never fit into again.
  • Don't tell people you are on a water fast because they will think you have gone bonkers. I just tell people that I have cut back on food When you have lost your weight and your bloods are better than they have ever been then let people know.

Hope this helps

Mike
Old 09-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #52
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Good tips Mike.

I don't have any experience with fasts as long as Mike, but one reply I have found helpful when people are offering me food while I am fasting is, "No thanks, I ate earlier." No one needs to know if that was earlier in the afternoon, earlier in the week, or earlier in the month.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #53
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the great tips, Mike. You are really doing well! I hope to join you and Carolyn on the long term fasts before long. I did a 24 yesterday and feel great today. I eat Keto 90% of the time. I feel like crap when I eat carbs so it helps me stay away from them most of the time. I do not deprive myself though. If I do, i overeat later on. So a couple bites of a cookie or a chip a couple times a month is worked in sometimes.

For me it really is a mental thing. There must be a name for it. LOL
The thought of going without food for several days/weeks is probably far less scary than I have in my head.

I may look around and maybe start a fasting group here in my area. What I am really lacking is support. That is why I come here. Most people are so supportive and understanding and willing to share what works for them.

And laugh a lot!
Old 09-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #54
kind
Major LCF Poster!

hi,every one.
This site really has helped me. I know I could not go as long as Mike or some of you.
5 days is what I hope to do.Then Friday weigh in and see what I lost.
Then eat light. and couple good fasts. Just do'nt want to regain{I know I will for that is how the body is.
Then next week start and do another fasting.
I think the true weight loss, is weighing in each month and going month to month. Our bodies gain, lose every day or holds .Somonthy weighing is what i go by.
But I do weigh each day{Most times.
I am not telling any one about fasting and going days . I did that few days ago. and boy did I hear. Don't. Not healthy. You are getting to skinny. Why? and so on. I just need Friday and next few days to see what to eat.
Would salad be to much? How high in cals. to keep from gaining next few days off.-3
Thanks.
I sure hope I can do 5 days.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:08 AM   #55
MikeRatcliffe
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind View Post
hi,every one.
I know I could not go as long as Mike or some of you.
I have just been lucky so far that I feel like I should continue my fast.

Everybody is different and almost everybody needs to work their way up to an extended fast. I think we pay too much attention to the length of a fast rather than monitoring our progress and adjusting according to how we feel. After the first 4 days just listen to your body and act according to what it is telling you to do.

If I feel like my body is telling me that it really needs food I would stop my fast straight away. I could always continue in a couple of weeks time. I am not just talking a few hunger pangs, more a general feeling that my fast is coming to an end.

A year or so back I did a "kind of" alternate day fast that just felt right. My regime was:

Day 1 18:00 Dinner
Day 2 Fast
Day 3 Back to day 1.

Which amounts to fasting for 48 hours between meals. I did that for 33 days so I became familiar with fasting at that time... I only lost 8kg (17.5lbs) on that fast and then I had major issues with serious leg cramps. These cramps lead to a visit to A&E (ER) and a 4 month limp! Now I know I need to take my magnesium and flood myself with vitamins and minerals any time my calves start to feel tight!

Anyhow, I suppose I am saying that fasting is a learning process mentally and physically. Like anything, it gets easier with time and experience.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:45 AM   #56
Salamander
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Salamander
Stats: 5'0"- 46
WOE: Stillmans
I have experimented with fasting. A few times last year I did up to 22 hours. Last weekend I attempted a 36 hour and actually made it to 42! I thought I was pretty cool, but see that there are several people here doing realllly long ones. I'm still proud of myself and enjoyed the experience. I have a unique reason for doing it: I am trying to get rid of SIBO. I'm taking herbs and changed my diet (keto with very limited F & V), but occasional 'cheat' meals to keep those bacteria active and guessing. So I was motivated by imagining that the bacteria were starving, dying and being expelled from my body! It really cleaned my bowel out. I think I'm going to do it again next weekend but I have an appt with my ND so I'll see what she says about it. I feel like it has helped get rid of my cravings for sugars.
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #57
kind
Major LCF Poster!

I think some times we listen to head and others, That we should not be doing fasting. But I know have few under belt and 2 days to go to reach 5 days.
Just taking it at a time. But I feel I will make it to 5
The key is to listen to body and it will tell u if it can not go any more. But That is not saying It will not. So I after fast eat some and then after 2-3 days off start again.
I checked my body mass. 24 and I'm healthy weight. But My goal is 110.
Today weight>118
But small goal for me is when I weigh in Friday to see what I did with this 5 day fast and I will be over the Moon when I see>115
Old 09-20-2017, 05:50 AM   #58
MikeRatcliffe
Junior LCF Member

Sorry, this is a bit of a brain dump and writing stuff like this down helps me clear my mind again.

Since the moment I hit 25 years old I have been able to eat very little food and still gain weight. Calorie restriction never worked for me unless I went below 500 calories per day, which is ridiculously low. I would certainly gain weight at 750 calories per day. Of course, in the long term CR only works for 1 in 500 people (0.2%) anyhow.

A dietician I used to see didn't believe me about my calorific intake even after I submitted detailed food logs. She said that if I was really eating what I claimed I would be very healthy and couldn't possibly be still gaining weight... I think that is when I realized something just isn't right with my metabolism and that conventional dieticians simply don't have all the answers.

I clearly have major issues with my metabolism and my energy levels have always been very low, no matter what I eat. I often fall asleep through the day although I tend to sleep really well at night.

500 calories a day shouldn't even be enough for my body to function so I don't understand how that works... it is almost like my body is in some kind of stand by mode.

Maybe some kind of internal hibernation switch has been activated at some point, I don't know.

Interestingly, all the men on my paternal grandmothers side have exactly the same issue no matter what lifestyle they have... interestingly enough we are also all dyslexic, hence me having to read over this post 500 million times before clicking submit.

Ironically my sister is stick thin and is completely unable to gain weight.

I remember that at one time she was eating 2 large pizzas a day, protein powders and other powders in an attempt to gain weight and she didn't gain an ounce. Anybody that believes in the calories in calories out (CICO) concept has obviously never met her.

My body is obviously genetically predisposed to store fats and it is extremely capable of doing so. A long time ago my ability to store fats would have been a huge advantage when it comes to food scarcity and drought, particularly during winter.

I would venture to say that those who have a body that is efficient at storing fats will most likely find it easier to fast than others but, like everything, we should all start with baby steps and listen to our bodies.

I think that if we forget everything that science says about food and think logically then fasting makes sense. This is a conversation I had with one of my 4-year-old sons when he noticed I was not eating any dinner:

Me: When I eat, my tummy gets really big so I can't take you out to play very much.
Son: If your tummy gets smaller then can you take me out to play more?
Me: Yes I can.
Son: Does that mean you aren't going to eat any food until your tummy gets smaller?
Me: Yes it does.
Son: {gets really excited} Daddy is making his big tummy go away so he can do more stuff with us!

So I guess I am saying that my kids being excited to do more adventurous stuff with me and the fact that losing weight any other way just doesn't work for me is also a real motivator for me to continue fasting.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:38 AM   #59
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 1/25/17
Love your story Mike and your dedication and perseverance with fasting is very inspiring.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:18 AM   #60
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Mike, what a wonderful thing you are doing for your health and your family.
Thanks for sharing with us.

And laugh a lot!