Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 12-21-2015, 07:24 AM   #1
kristina
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kristina
Stats: 250/230.7/135
Start Date: 9-4-16
Intuitive Eating/Overcoming Overeating

I found a thread WAAAAAAAAAAAAY back from 2014, so thought I would get a new one going.

highest weight I've ever been...I think traveling has something to do with that..lots of dinners out. So, I can still DO that, I can just stop when full and put it in a box to take home it will be there when I'm hungry again.

I've tried this so many times, also LC, Weight Watchers, and every other diet out there.

I can barely stand for any length of time, can't walk very far. This weight has to come off!!
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2016, 07:11 PM   #2
finally!
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: finally!
Stats: 219/135/135
WOE: JUDDD/semi low carb for health reasons
Start Date: 6/1/14
kristina, if you are still up for incorporating intuitive eating into your WOE lifestyle change, I would be interested in sharing the journey along with you. I have been researching intuitive eating, slowing down eating, making meals last longer, and hunger directed eating for just a couple of weeks, and have just scratched the surface of the abundance of information available, but for me, I realize that this has been a VERY important piece of the weight loss puzzle that I kept ignoring, thinking it wasn't important enough.

I hope you are doing well. And kudos for starting (or trying to) another thread on this subject.
finally! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:47 PM   #3
Jennyl
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
I am working on this too. I did really well for a while, then I didn't. Now I'm trying to be more conscious of my eating. It's a process
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:16 PM   #4
finally!
Senior LCF Member

It's quite amazing to me how training myself to eat slowly is so darned difficult. Really deeply engrained lifelong habit will take alot......, alot of training. Up until now my meals have lasted an average of 5 minutes ..... Just shoveling it in, and either still feeling hungry or wanting something else within an hour.
I've managed to extend my meals to 20 minutes the last 2 days and I am quite surprised at the feeling of satisfaction and lack of hunger for the rest of the evening.
The other day I was working on this, went about 10 minutes and the next thing I knew I had fallen back into the gobbling mode and my food was gone. This does take concentration but it is well worth it and doesn't cost a thing. It, for me, has really enhanced my WOE and weight loss efforts. I've always been a bit embarrassed about being a speed eater. It's a good feeling to be working on acting "normal".

Wishing you the best on your journey also.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:55 PM   #5
Jennyl
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have to force myself to slow down too. It's not easy but when I can do it, it really works
Old 01-07-2016, 06:12 AM   #6
RW City Sue
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RW City Sue
Stats: CW 206 GW 159
WOE: WW Smart Points & Simply Filling
Start Date: 3/20/2016
IE and mindfulness have been techniques I've been using lately that really seem to help.

When I had eating disorder treatment in the past, I.E. was suggested as a woe.

Sue
Old 01-16-2016, 08:31 PM   #7
stacy1131
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stacy1131
Stats: 179/170/160
Start Date: start again nov 2014 before thanksgiving
hi everyone, I am in the same boat. im so tired of trying every diet and failing every day. I am trying the ie way of eating. don't like to make a career of eating slowly but maybe that is the key. just being mindful of eating when hungry or close to hungry is new for me. on low carb I would graze all day - one of my bad habits. hope we can keep this going. I need all the help I can get and hope to support others too
stacy1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #8
finally!
Senior LCF Member

Hi Stacy, I'm still working on extending my meals and learning to identify physical hunger and satiety. Old habits die hard. This WOE takes more concentration than I ever thought it could! I have made progress though and am thoroughly enjoying the food I eat.
I have to admit though that I have not been able to trust myself enough to stop counting calories. I stopped counting carbs since I do HFLC so I consider it a baby step forward. Hopefully I will eventually get to where feel comfortable letting go of the calorie counting. Good luck to all of you on your efforts to adopt these principles into your way of eating.

ETA: also, after that, I will try just eating what I'm hungry for, and not stick to the HFLC so much. Funny thing, yesterday all I could think about was a big salad

Last edited by finally!; 01-18-2016 at 11:51 AM..
Old 01-20-2016, 09:56 AM   #9
jiggles
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jiggles
Jumping in this thread!

I would love to be an intuitive eater (and actually lose weight!) and never have to "diet" again. I really struggle with it though, especially when it comes to wanting to lose weight. Years ago I followed Paul McKenna's 4 Golden Rules and actually lost 10 lbs in a month (I was also exercising consistently, which I think helped a lot) but I let myself start slipping and that was the end. So easy to fall into old patterns!

I've been going back and forth on starting a "diet" especially since I have a vacation coming up in 52 days. It's also hard to stay out of the diet trap thinking because my sister has lost 90 lbs in the last year by doing the new, popular diet in this area. So, I see her success and think "why can't I do that?" I decided I was going to start calorie counting this week (because I read boards elsewhere and it's all about the calorie counting!!). Well, I got frustrated with trying to figure out the calories in my roasted potatoes and onions last night that I said screw it and just made my dish.

Maybe instead of another diet I need to be more mindful of my hunger. I know I eat a lot when I'm not hungry. Heck, if I stop the non hungry snacking that could probably help with the weight. But then I worry it won't be enough to drop any weight.

Anyway, I would love to see this thread keep going. Seems like they always get started but then it just falls off. It would be great to have continued support with this since it really is hard to focus on hunger signals.
jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:02 AM   #10
Jennyl
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jiggles....I have the same thing about eating when I'm not hungry. I do it a lot! I find it helps tremendously with losing weight when I stop snacking when I'm not hungry.

I'm doing ok with the intuitive eating, not great but certainly better.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:13 AM   #11
jiggles
Major LCF Poster!

I downloaded some cutesy diet journal on my phone. There's a spot to keep track of weight and body fat, but I'm using it more for the journal part. It is not a calorie counting journal at all. While calorie counting is ingrained in my brain (and probably always will be on some level) I don't really want to actually calculate every calorie I eat. I decided, though, that maybe it would help me to keep a food journal where I track when, what, how much (approximate) and why I ate. Since I tend to eat (especially snack) without thinking maybe this will help me get that under control. I especially need to keep better track on weekends because that's when things can really get out of hand.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:29 AM   #12
Jennyl
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think we all have to do what works for us. I can't keep track of everything I eat, it drives me bonkers! But it really works for a lot of people and that's all that matters

I also do better when I don't weigh myself often....but a lot of people weigh daily and prefer that. I haven't been able to bring myself to get rid of my scale completely, even though it's probably what would be better for me.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #13
jiggles
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah, I don't know that I'll be able to keep the journaling up but I'll see how it goes. It's definitely a loose version right now.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:58 AM   #14
Jennyl
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm trying to listen to my body, but it seems to have multiple personalities!
Old 01-28-2016, 11:51 AM   #15
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 2017 - 142.8/137.7/128.2
Lurker exposed by laughing out loud
Old 02-14-2016, 05:41 PM   #16
stacy1131
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stacy1131
Stats: 179/170/160
Start Date: start again nov 2014 before thanksgiving
hello again,
I posted a few weeks ago and have binged many days since then. I really am trying not to diet. I am reading the ie book again now. im not a real foodie so most the time I just want to get the job of eating done and move on or eat all day literally. I read that if your hunger and fullness ques are so messed up to eat every 3-4 hours for a while. so today that is what I have done. but not slowly. have to work on that part. I would like to keep going with this woe and hopefully we can keep this thread going. hope you all have a good week and stay focused on this concept. I went bra shopping today and realized oh how far I have to go thanks to the mirrors.
stacy1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:16 PM   #17
jiggles
Major LCF Poster!

I can't post in this thread from work. For some weird reason it gets flagged as inappropriate, which is funny because there's nothing inappropriate here.

Anyway, I'm struggling with the whole IE vs diet mindset. My sister and I are going on vacation together in 2 weeks so we've been talking outfits. She's texted me a couple of pics of new dresses and swimsuits and I'm in awe of how great she looks. To be honest, I'm a little jealous that something has finally clicked for her and I'm still very much struggling. There are days I think that maybe I should try the same plan she's on. I'm just feeling very frustrated and unsure of things right now.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:28 PM   #18
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggles View Post
I can't post in this thread from work. For some weird reason it gets flagged as inappropriate, which is funny because there's nothing inappropriate here.

Anyway, I'm struggling with the whole IE vs diet mindset. My sister and I are going on vacation together in 2 weeks so we've been talking outfits. She's texted me a couple of pics of new dresses and swimsuits and I'm in awe of how great she looks. To be honest, I'm a little jealous that something has finally clicked for her and I'm still very much struggling. There are days I think that maybe I should try the same plan she's on. I'm just feeling very frustrated and unsure of things right now.
Honestly IE sounds ridiculously simple. "Eat when you're hungry and stop when you've had enough". And honestly it IS that simple. But if you're from the "diet" mindset it takes work to understand what that really means. And even when you do, you have to work at reminding yourself of the knowledge, sometimes everyday. I remember telling my husband that it was just as hard as the hardest diet I ever tried when I started. That being said, it is the single most important tool I have ever learned.

So my advise is get a book. "You can have your cake and skinny jeans too" is probably the the most popular. "The Overfed Head: What If Everything You Know About Weight Loss Is Wrong?" is my personal favorite. It's very basic and for me, like I said, it is a very simple "ah ha" concept. Take it on vacation, read it in the sun, and plan a whole new life.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:05 PM   #19
jiggles
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the pep talk, Terri. I think I have both those books. I know I have the Cake/Skinny Jeans book on my Kindle. I'm going to bump it up on my list and read it again like you suggested. Maybe it will help me remember that even the latest, greatest diet plan probably isn't going to help me lose weight and keep it off in the long run since I can't seem to actually stick with them.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:46 AM   #20
mom23kids
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance/129lbs (37yrs, 5ft, 6in)
WOE: JUDDD/5:2IF for WL & 16:8IF for maintenance
Start Date: Started this Whacky Journey in October of 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggles View Post
Jumping in this thread!

I would love to be an intuitive eater (and actually lose weight!) and never have to "diet" again. I really struggle with it though, especially when it comes to wanting to lose weight. Years ago I followed Paul McKenna's 4 Golden Rules and actually lost 10 lbs in a month (I was also exercising consistently, which I think helped a lot) but I let myself start slipping and that was the end. So easy to fall into old patterns!

I've been going back and forth on starting a "diet" especially since I have a vacation coming up in 52 days. It's also hard to stay out of the diet trap thinking because my sister has lost 90 lbs in the last year by doing the new, popular diet in this area. So, I see her success and think "why can't I do that?" I decided I was going to start calorie counting this week (because I read boards elsewhere and it's all about the calorie counting!!). Well, I got frustrated with trying to figure out the calories in my roasted potatoes and onions last night that I said screw it and just made my dish.

Maybe instead of another diet I need to be more mindful of my hunger. I know I eat a lot when I'm not hungry. Heck, if I stop the non hungry snacking that could probably help with the weight. But then I worry it won't be enough to drop any weight.

Anyway, I would love to see this thread keep going. Seems like they always get started but then it just falls off. It would be great to have continued support with this since it really is hard to focus on hunger signals.
Saw this thread pop up and reading through your post Jiggles, have you tried JUDDD or 5:2IF yet? Eating when I wasn't hungry was a big issue I had to deal with and doing JUDDD really helped me learn what true hunger was vs eating out of boredom, because of a certain time on the clock, habitual night time snacking etc and how to respond appropriately. It's actually probably the most important thing I learned through my weight loss phase and this has carried through now into maintenance as well

Just a thought

October 2015 Blood Work Results
-Total Cholesterol 167: HDL 69 LDL 97
-Cholesterol/HDL Ratio 2.4
no triglycerides number given this time, but blood work this past spring put them at a 49
-Glucose (non-fasting) 87

Last edited by mom23kids; 03-03-2016 at 07:48 AM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:17 PM   #21
jiggles
Major LCF Poster!

I have done JUDDD before. Years ago I came across Dr. Johnson's book and started the diet. I had some success with it but I had also joined a weight loss challenge at work so I was motivated to stick to it. I lost 15 pounds in 3 months but after the challenge ended my down days started to slip (and eventually the weight came back and brought some friends). I have tried many times to start it up again and for some reason I just can't get through a whole down day. I do okay at work but once I get home it's a free for all. I can't take the hunger any longer and I go nuts.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:36 PM   #22
Jennyl
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I haven't been here in a while, I haven't been doing well. I'm hoping one of these days something will click. Are the other books mentioned about dieting or intuitive eating?
Old 04-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #23
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Jenny,
"The Overfed Head: What If Everything You Know About Weight Loss Is Wrong?" is my personal favorite about Intuitive Eating. I've been struggling a little too. I've been thinking about pulling this out and rereading.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:47 PM   #24
Jennyl
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Terri

I've been doing well for a few days, I am feeling better
Old 11-19-2016, 03:32 AM   #25
Avicenna
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Still shopping for one that fits
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD Feb-Dec 2012)
Hi,

I'm giving this a try - I'm tired of spending so much time and energy on eating plans.

That being said, part of me would still like to try combining it with IF (such as the Fung fasting) or occasional hacks (like the egg fast). One reason is weight loss, but other reasons include not focusing so much on food, financial reasons, and just giving the body a break.

However, the books seem to be quite clear about not doing those things and that they are antithetical to "give yourself permission to eat".

I feel like since they are periodic and not long-term, it isn't a big deal.

What do you think?
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:19 AM   #26
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/202/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
There are a couple threads here about Fung Fasting. Some are doing IF with a window, but most are doing longer fasts, which are said to be bad for anyone with an eating disorder. Maybe read through them and see what you think. It's all up to you to choose what works for you.

I think IE is just natural, the way our bodies were intended to eat, but society has given us bad habits. I can do ok with IE except for when DH wants to eat and he likes me to eat with him. My newest idea is going to be to eat what I want, but keep the portions small. I realize that that puts me back to the old calorie counting, but most of the time if I eat what I really want I am satisfied, and isn't it true that the first couple bites taste the best, and we finish the food just because it's there?

Good luck to you!
Old 11-19-2016, 10:42 AM   #27
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
Hi,

I'm giving this a try - I'm tired of spending so much time and energy on eating plans.

That being said, part of me would still like to try combining it with IF (such as the Fung fasting) or occasional hacks (like the egg fast). One reason is weight loss, but other reasons include not focusing so much on food, financial reasons, and just giving the body a break.

However, the books seem to be quite clear about not doing those things and that they are antithetical to "give yourself permission to eat".

I feel like since they are periodic and not long-term, it isn't a big deal.

What do you think?
Hi Avi,
I think IE goes very well with IF. But I'm not a long term IFer like the Fung crowd. I simply try and put as many hours between last and first meal as possible. That also helps put me in tune to my true hunger signals.

I too grew weary of diets and the yo yo life style. Here's a link to my journey with friends. You're welcome to join us over there and share yours with us.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=884214

Carol!
Old 12-22-2016, 07:40 PM   #28
iakaren
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/195/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11;Struggling now
Start Date: October 28, 2006
signing up to read more
.. ......177.0...174.0....174.0...183.0...184.0...183 .5...185.5....192.0....197.....198.5....197.5
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:53 PM   #29
Sphinx1992
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sphinx1992
I was wondering did you lose weight with the info from the overfed head. I recently read the book. I was also wondering about drinks. Are you able to drink what you want with your meal as long as your moderately hungry? Thank you
Sphinx1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:17 AM   #30
kristina
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kristina
Stats: 250/230.7/135
Start Date: 9-4-16
the Overfed head...never heard of it, will google

thought I would start this again.

I drink whatever I want, with meals, yes.
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote