Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 07-24-2016, 10:11 AM   #1
EyesOnPrize
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EyesOnPrize
Stats: U.S. size 12/2/0. I don't weigh. Age 52.
WOE: Lost w/Stillman, maintain w/JUDDD, Fung & Stillman
Start Date: September 2014
My Stillman Journey and Lessons Learned

Just popping in to say hello and I see a lot of familiar faces. I'm back on Stillman intermittently again. As some of you remember, I went from US size 12 to US size 2 with a long stretch of almost uninterrupted and fiercely orthodox Stillman (lean protein only -- no salmon, no chicken skin, no lettuce, no nothing that wasn't lean protein).

Maintenance is always the hardest part, though. Stillman himself recommended a sort of "watch what you eat; weigh daily; if you gain more than a couple pounds, go back on my diet till you lose it" maintenance regimen. That wasn't going to work for me, since I don't weigh. So I browsed these boards and found JUDDD. It's worked really well for maintenance for me, and I find it much, much more bearable for the long term than Stillman. It's also more flexible, so I can have a social life and don't have to go months at a time without going to a restaurant or having a beer. However, I can't seem to lose an ounce on it.

I put JUDDD on hold for a recent vacation and my pants got tight. So I'm back on Stillman 5 days a week, with weekends off, till I get back to fighting weight. (I still have big thighs and a belly pooch and all that. Size 2 is not that small. It's about what size 8-10 was when I was a young teenager in the late 70s.)

What have I personally learned?
  • I've learned that I have the power to stay on Stillman for as long as necessary. (I quit because weight loss pretty much stopped, due to my body deciding it was starving, not because I couldn't continue. I will say my energy got very low at the end, though.)
  • I've learned that, for me, JUDDD is a bearable and effective means of maintenance -- at least, it's worked for 9 months or so. I could continue forever if necessary.
  • I've learned that all my ol' aching joints feel so much better when I weigh less, and physical activities and just walking are so much more fun.
  • I've learned that, at a smaller size, I have a much wider range of clothing styles and cuts to choose from, because more things flatter my figure now. I can also easily buy from thrift shops, and stuff actually fits!
  • I've learned that some of my friends actually thought I was sick, perhaps had cancer, because I lost weight so fast on Stillman! I've seen people who haven't seen me in over a year literally gasp when they finally recognized me. And one thing I've learned: despite literally dozens of people commenting on my drastic weight loss, only one ever actually asked how I did it.
  • And finally, through Stillman and JUDDD, I've learned that for me, losing weight and keeping it off means sometimes feeling hungry for hours at a time. It just does. I've learned that hunger won't hurt me. One of the regulars in the JUDDD forum has a sig line that reads: "Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing." For those of us who have an unhappy and sometimes disordered history with food and weight, I think that's true. Learning to get over my fear of feeling hungry is what allowed me to lose the weight and keep it off.
Hope my story can encourage or validate some of my fellow Stillmanizers. I'll keep popping my head in occasionally as I continue my Stillman/JUDDD journey. Best of luck to all!
EyesOnPrize is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2016, 07:08 AM   #2
kerry
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kerry
So helpful thank you once am starting Stillmans properly I haven't really had the chance to do it properly I have 5 stone to lose how long did you think this would take I am a UK size 14-16 getting over the fear of being hungry is my problem not actually the diet itself x
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:11 AM   #3
EyesOnPrize
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry View Post
So helpful thank you once am starting Stillmans properly I haven't really had the chance to do it properly I have 5 stone to lose how long did you think this would take I am a UK size 14-16 getting over the fear of being hungry is my problem not actually the diet itself x
Hi, Kerry! I remember you. Good to see you back! I had to look up what "5 stone" equals so for the benefit of other Yanks on this board, it's 70 lb. I couldn't tell you exactly how long it'd take. The thing about Stillman is that you really can't stay on it indefinitely; you need to take some breaks because you'll start feeling really run down and your weight loss will stop. I know what you mean about being freaked out by being hungry. It's just such a powerful thing -- our bodies are programmed to respond to hunger. It took me a while to realize that hunger won't hurt me and to convince my brain and body that I won't starve! I also learned that, though they are unpleasant, hunger pangs pass pretty quickly, usually in 10 or 15 minutes. I can stick it out that long -- you can too!

Most on this board are doing some variation of Stillman or low-carb, but I did very strict Stillman. For me, it's easier to just buckle down and power through it, versus doing a version that is more bearable but might have slower results. I find that I don't lose much if I'm not strict, and if I'm not losing, I'd rather not be obsessing over food. I also needed the encouragement of quick weight loss, which I wouldn't have gotten with an easier diet.

I think that if you're able to really commit to just a short time -- say 7 days -- of very strict Stillman as written, you will be encouraged by what you lose, and that encouragement will help you continue. You can do it if you commit to it!

Last edited by EyesOnPrize; 07-27-2016 at 04:13 AM..
Old 07-27-2016, 04:31 AM   #4
kal
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kal
Stats: 5'6" 233/189.6/148-155
WOE: Stillman's QWL
Start Date: Restart 11/11/2015
Hey prize. Nice post. I can't imagine ever hitting a size 2 I'll be lucky the day a size 6 fits lol. But I hope I'm wrong I'm at a size 8-10 now and have 40 pounds to go until goal. I was able to buckle down on strict for a little less than two months and did drop 14 pounds in that time. My losses halted just like yours so I stopped. I've tried to restart though and it is so hard to get back to being that strict..tips?I can make it the week but when I still don't see any loss I get discouraged. I wish the weight came off like the first time.
Goal Weight: 145

Goals:
185 : No longer obese.
180 : Mani/pedi
170 : Receive passport
160 : Sephora makeup
150 : TBD
140 : TBD
kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:05 AM   #5
EyesOnPrize
Senior LCF Member

Hello again, kal! You know, I couldn't tell you the exact mechanism of how I committed, started, and stuck to this regimen. It was like I turned my brain off and just did it. That sounds simplistic, I know, but that's how it was and is.

Think about when you wake up to go to work. You may not feel like it; you may not have had enough sleep; the weather may be horrible; you may have an ache from sleeping in the wrong position; you may not have any clean clothes -- but you know damn well you have to go to work, so you just turn off your brain, brush your teeth, get dressed and go.

And what's more, most of the people at work also aren't having ideal evenings, nights, and mornings. But they also turned off their brains and got to work.

Certainly we don't debate with ourselves every single morning, "Should I go to work? Maybe I'll just kinda go. Maybe I'll show up 3 or 4 hours late. Maybe that's enough. Or maybe I'll tell them I woke up with a crick in my neck and we'll try again next week and see if I feel up to coming in then."

So why do we do the same thing with diets? I think somewhere in my brain I just tell myself "I'm doing this," the same way I would with any other obligation, like work, or taking my kid to school, or paying my bills. It just has to get done and I'm not giving myself the choice. I'm just doing it.

Don't know if that helps you. It's hard to explain how that switch gets flipped in my brain, but that's the best analogy I can give you! Hope it helps somehow.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:12 AM   #6
kal
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kal
Stats: 5'6" 233/189.6/148-155
WOE: Stillman's QWL
Start Date: Restart 11/11/2015
Yeah that's what I did the first time. I get it. Just can't seem to do it again. Haha. I guess I'll start with the recipes from the book. They are approved at least but not as strict as the bland chicken I ate when I first did it. Tasty, but stillman approved would be a good start but I hope I can lose some weight. Guess I'll be going grocery shopping to get supplies for the recipes.
Goal Weight: 145

Goals:
185 : No longer obese.
180 : Mani/pedi
170 : Receive passport
160 : Sephora makeup
150 : TBD
140 : TBD
kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:44 AM   #7
EyesOnPrize
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, I can't deal with the bland chicken either. I have some "recipes" that I rely on. I think I'll post them in another thread when I get a chance.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:04 PM   #8
Partyof8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Partyof8
Stats: 348/231/170
WOE: Low Carb, Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: Began journey March '14 Break '15 restart: Jan '16
Very timely. I am about 80% committed to trying Stillman's for the next two weeks. I can't think of what to eat besides bland chicken. Off to look at recipes.
I'll probably be doing OMAD with Stillman's.

Restart after baby: 285 on 1/18/16 - lost 54 pounds since!
117 pounds total
Today, I will just do my very best.
Partyof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:15 AM   #9
dhoward
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dhoward
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyesOnPrize View Post
Just popping in to say hello and I see a lot of familiar faces. I'm back on Stillman intermittently again. As some of you remember, I went from US size 12 to US size 2 with a long stretch of almost uninterrupted and fiercely orthodox Stillman (lean protein only -- no salmon, no chicken skin, no lettuce, no nothing that wasn't lean protein).

Maintenance is always the hardest part, though. Stillman himself recommended a sort of "watch what you eat; weigh daily; if you gain more than a couple pounds, go back on my diet till you lose it" maintenance regimen. That wasn't going to work for me, since I don't weigh. So I browsed these boards and found JUDDD. It's worked really well for maintenance for me, and I find it much, much more bearable for the long term than Stillman. It's also more flexible, so I can have a social life and don't have to go months at a time without going to a restaurant or having a beer. However, I can't seem to lose an ounce on it.
I put JUDDD on hold for a recent vacation and my pants got tight. So I'm back on Stillman 5 days a week, with weekends off, till I get back to fighting weight. (I still have big thighs and a belly pooch and all that. Size 2 is not that small. It's about what size 8-10 was when I was a young teenager in the late 70s.)

• I've learned that I have the power to stay on Stillman for as long as necessary. (I quit because weight loss pretty much stopped, due to my body deciding it was starving, not because I couldn't continue. I will say my energy got very low at the end, though.)
  • I've learned that, for me, JUDDD is a bearable and effective means of maintenance -- at least, it's worked for 9 months or so. I could continue forever if necessary.
  • I've learned that all my ol' aching joints feel so much better when I weigh less, and physical activities and just walking are so much more fun.
  • I've learned that, at a smaller size, I have a much wider range of clothing styles and cuts to choose from, because more things flatter my figure now. I can also easily buy from thrift shops, and stuff actually fits!
  • I've learned that some of my friends actually thought I was sick, perhaps had cancer, because I lost weight so fast on Stillman! I've seen people who haven't seen me in over a year literally gasp when they finally recognized me. And one thing I've learned: despite literally dozens of people commenting on my drastic weight loss, only one ever actually asked how I did it.
  • And finally, through Stillman and JUDDD, I've learned that for me, losing weight and keeping it off means sometimes feeling hungry for hours at a time. It just does. I've learned that hunger won't hurt me. One of the regulars in the JUDDD forum has a sig line that reads: "Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing." For those of us who have an unhappy and sometimes disordered history with food and weight, I think that's true. Learning to get over my fear of feeling hungry is what allowed me to lose the weight and keep it off.
Hope my story can encourage or validate some of my fellow Stillmanizers. I'll keep popping my head in occasionally as I continue my Stillman/JUDDD journey. Best of luck to all!
Thank you so much, on all the helpful information. you have really encouraged me. i just started on 8/1 weighing 193 and today im at 190.. I need all I can get. It's a little tuff.. it's getting better. I love the stillman diet. But i'm new to this
dhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:08 PM   #10
coffeepot
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeepot
Stats: 153/135/135
I agree with dhoward--this is a very inspiring post and I need it as I try to keep my eyes on the prize, myself. What really surprises me is how you were able to go without weighing. The little bit of motivation I get every morning when I see a drop, at least in the beginning, powers me to keep going. My family laughs at the way I have taken my scale with me on vacations--

Thanks for posting your experiences! Post more!
coffeepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:48 AM   #11
EyesOnPrize
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeepot View Post
I agree with dhoward--this is a very inspiring post and I need it as I try to keep my eyes on the prize, myself. What really surprises me is how you were able to go without weighing. The little bit of motivation I get every morning when I see a drop, at least in the beginning, powers me to keep going. My family laughs at the way I have taken my scale with me on vacations--

Thanks for posting your experiences! Post more!
I'm so glad my experience can encourage others! This really is one of the fastest-working diets around if you can stay on it -- and you CAN stay on it if you set your mind to it.

As for weighing, well, I believe that if something's working, you should stick with it. And if it's not working, you should change it. For me, the encouragement I'd get when I lost a pound was nice... but I noticed that if I was strict, and didn't lose a pound in a week, or even gained, I'd feel ripped off and deprived and resentful. And then, inevitably, I'd fall off the diet. It took a while for me to notice the connection between the unmoving scale and my being unable to stay on the regimen, but eventually I realized what was happening. The discouragement of hitting a plateau far outweighed the encouragement of losing a pound or two. (Because, I thought, I'm dieting! Of course I expect to lose a pound or two!)

Not weighing forced me to think very-long-term, which was good for me and my ability to stay the course on this diet. I judged my loss by how my jeans fit. I had pair after pair of too-small jeans, each one smaller than the previous, and slowly, over the months, I shrunk out of all of them. I can still tell by the fit of my clothes when I've gained a pound or two, and I can take immediate corrective action.

So my feeling is, if you find that losses encourage you and plateaus or gains don't discourage you, and if you're losing weight over the long term, then keep on keepin' on! If you find that staying at the same weight or even gaining when you've been very strict tends to take the wind out of your sails and you soon fall off the diet, consider weighing less, or even not at all.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

-- sig shamelessly stolen from Kissa, quoted for truth!
Old 08-05-2016, 07:46 AM   #12
coffeepot
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeepot
Stats: 153/135/135
Excellent post, Eyes--I admire your determination and single mindedness to goal. Another wise and inspirational post--thanks.

I need to "walk away from the scale."
coffeepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #13
makemeslim
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makemeslim
Stats: 194/184/140 5ft 11
WOE: Stillman's QWL/South Beach
Quote:

Great post! Since I came across Atkins years back, most diets I've tried have had a category of food that can be eaten with no limits. I think I've grown accustomed to the idea that weight loss does not involve going without or feeling hungry but I guess sometimes it does or even should.
makemeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:26 AM   #14
shari
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shari
Stats: 252/187/169-mini goal
WOE: low carb-Atkins '72
Start Date: restart- 8/9/16
Quote:
Hello again, kal! You know, I couldn't tell you the exact mechanism of how I committed, started, and stuck to this regimen. It was like I turned my brain off and just did it. That sounds simplistic, I know, but that's how it was and is.

Think about when you wake up to go to work. You may not feel like it; you may not have had enough sleep; the weather may be horrible; you may have an ache from sleeping in the wrong position; you may not have any clean clothes -- but you know damn well you have to go to work, so you just turn off your brain, brush your teeth, get dressed and go.

And what's more, most of the people at work also aren't having ideal evenings, nights, and mornings. But they also turned off their brains and got to work.

Certainly we don't debate with ourselves every single morning, "Should I go to work? Maybe I'll just kinda go. Maybe I'll show up 3 or 4 hours late. Maybe that's enough. Or maybe I'll tell them I woke up with a crick in my neck and we'll try again next week and see if I feel up to coming in then."

So why do we do the same thing with diets? I think somewhere in my brain I just tell myself "I'm doing this," the same way I would with any other obligation, like work, or taking my kid to school, or paying my bills. It just has to get done and I'm not giving myself the choice. I'm just doing it.

Don't know if that helps you. It's hard to explain how that switch gets flipped in my brain, but that's the best analogy I can give you! Hope it helps somehow.
I love this analogy! Thanks, your post has helped more than you know.
shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:04 PM   #15
Truffles
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Truffles
Stats: 146/142/130 JUDDD restart
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 3/11 LC - 1/12 LC/JUDDD re-1/16
Spinach Parmesan
Spinach Parmesan Dip loves a good party. It loves to mix and mingle, especially when that mixing and mingling involves real spinach, perfectly aged Parmesan cheese, and creamy Greek yogurt. Smooth, tasty, and ready to entertain.

Ingredients
Nutrition
Nutrition Information
Serving Size
2 Tbsp (30 g)
Serving per Container
Amount Per Serving
Calories
Calories From Fat

% Daily Value
Total Fat
3.0 g (5% DV)
Saturated Fat
1.5 g (8% DV)
Trans Fat
0 g
Cholesterol
10 mg (3% DV)
Sodium
130 mg (5% DV)
Total Carbohydrate
2 g (1% DV)
Dietary Fiber
0 g (0% DV)
Sugars
1 g
Protein
2 g
Vitamin A
8%
Vitamin C
0%
Calcium
6%
Iron
0%close button

Would a Tablespoon of this per day be okay?
Old 08-19-2016, 12:45 PM   #16
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/126.8/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffles View Post
Spinach Parmesan
Spinach Parmesan Dip loves a good party. It loves to mix and mingle, especially when that mixing and mingling involves real spinach, perfectly aged Parmesan cheese, and creamy Greek yogurt. Smooth, tasty, and ready to entertain.

Ingredients
Nutrition
Nutrition Information
Serving Size
2 Tbsp (30 g)
Serving per Container
Amount Per Serving
Calories
Calories From Fat

% Daily Value
Total Fat
3.0 g (5% DV)
Saturated Fat
1.5 g (8% DV)
Trans Fat
0 g
Cholesterol
10 mg (3% DV)
Sodium
130 mg (5% DV)
Total Carbohydrate
2 g (1% DV)

Dietary Fiber
0 g (0% DV)
Sugars
1 g

Protein
2 g
Vitamin A
8%
Vitamin C
0%
Calcium
6%
Iron
0%close button

Would a Tablespoon of this per day be okay?
I wouldn't use it, but others might feel differently.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote