Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-03-2016, 05:42 AM   #31
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mim
Stats: 261/250.6/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: January 3, 2016 (this time!)
It is Wednesday! I got a new pair of shoes that work with my brace. I'm going to start doing some serious walking! I need to build up the ability to walk so that I will enjoy Italy!

katie - don't sweat the berries. All will be well.
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2016, 07:44 AM   #32
StillTheOne
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: StillTheOne
Happy Wednesday! mim I love shoes but I definitely love Italy much more !

I will join you in walking more this month. I could really use the exercise!

Today agenda grocery store and house cleaning oh the joy !
StillTheOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #33
coffeepot
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeepot
Stats: 153/135/135
Hello to all the Stillman losers for August!

I've been doing Stillmans (again..) since August first, and I've lost 5 ugly pounds which is beautiful! I've been on diets too long and I've lost on many types. Recently I've been doing more high fat and lots of protein mixed with wine, but I'm all set to do low fat and protein--tuna and broiled top round have been my diet since 8/1, but today is pure salmon...I hope.

I don't love the deprivation, but I love the results.

Here's wishing everyone here a fabulous and noteworthy August. May we weigh less and look better by the end of the month.
coffeepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #34
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/126.8/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
When should you use the QWL vs. the 14 day shape up plan? I gather the Inches off plan is for later on- right?

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #35
coffeepot
Junior LCF Member

Carly, I believe he says in one of his books that the inches off is for when you are close to goal and have 5 to 10 lbs left to lose. Honestly, I skip over that part in the book because I've always wanted to lose weight quickly. Also I find the vegetables don't exactly satisfy me in the same way meat does.

I think he writes it is for maintenance, but I will look at my book later if you'd like.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:37 AM   #36
BrattyS
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 231.2/207.6/155 5'7"
WOE: Keto-Stillman
Yesterday was rough. PMS hit everyone in my house. My carb headache came back with vengeance. It was so bad I felt nauseous all day. I did go off plan to eat some popcorn. Enough carbs to knock the headache out but nothing that would derail me. I feel better today. (for now) I feel it lurking behind my eyes and forehead.
Football season has started for my son, my daughter gymnastics competition training has started back up, and school starts next week. I'll be too busy to think about food let alone eat it.

I hope everyone is doing well today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
It is Wednesday! I got a new pair of shoes that work with my brace. I'm going to start doing some serious walking! I need to build up the ability to walk so that I will enjoy Italy!

katie - don't sweat the berries. All will be well.
Sweet! When do you get to go to Italy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeepot View Post
Hello to all the Stillman losers for August!

I've been doing Stillmans (again..) since August first, and I've lost 5 ugly pounds which is beautiful! I've been on diets too long and I've lost on many types. Recently I've been doing more high fat and lots of protein mixed with wine, but I'm all set to do low fat and protein--tuna and broiled top round have been my diet since 8/1, but today is pure salmon...I hope.

I don't love the deprivation, but I love the results.

Here's wishing everyone here a fabulous and noteworthy August. May we weigh less and look better by the end of the month.
I find the deprivation easier to handle. The more I am permitted to eat the more my cravings wander into things I can't eat.

5 pounds is great! Keep it up and enjoy your salmon today.

katie Dont worry about the berries. It is good you chased them with eggs to stop from doing worse!
BrattyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:35 AM   #37
Carly

I'm still planning on starting on Sunday and have a couple questions:

1) Is non stick spray, such as Pam, permitted on Stillman's? Similarly, are a few squirts of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter permitted?

I have both in the house already, but wasn't sure if they could be used in prepping eggs or lean meat.

2) Are miracle noodle or miracle rice permitted? (I have those as well).

Thanks in advanced!

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:55 AM   #38
coffeepot
Junior LCF Member

Remember Stillman wrote his diet in the mid 60s when many products such as Pam or the noodles weren't available. So, short answer is no. However, I have found in the past that I could add a tiny bit of oil and still lose, especially if my protein was lower in fat. When I tried HCG--very low fat--I had a slight gallbladder reaction when I added fat back after the lowfat phase, so I'm reluctant to go too low. He was more liberal in a later edition of his book that was a cookbook. Yet, I've always had such good results with strict Stillmans as described in his first QWL book that I haven't widened my diet. When I lose 15 lbs, I "think" I will try to follow his suggestions in the other book which do include salad. That's all I remember...need to sift through my collection of diet books!

Good luck, Carly! You are such an inspiration! I am interested to see your results as compared to JUDD. I tried Fung , and I found I didn't lose weight or couldn't stick to it, but I applaud his ideas about how low calorie diets lower metabolism. Mine is wrecked, anyway. So I think the JUDD diet might prevent that--does that worry you at all?
Old 08-03-2016, 12:21 PM   #39
Carly

Quote:
Good luck, Carly! You are such an inspiration! I am interested to see your results as compared to JUDD. I tried Fung , and I found I didn't lose weight or couldn't stick to it, but I applaud his ideas about how low calorie diets lower metabolism. Mine is wrecked, anyway. So I think the JUDD diet might prevent that--does that worry you at all?
JUDDD has been amazing for me and I've been following it for 4.5 years now. I maintained 122-126 almost effortlessly for 2 or so years, but in the last year I keep creeping up into the 132-129 range despite lowering my UD calories, so I'm going to try Stillman's to shake things up a bit.

I will definitely go back to JUDDD or 4:3, but would love to get safely below 125 and ideally see 120, but I won't push my luck.

I have done Atkins in the past with great weight loss, but after some years I was not feeling too great with such low levels of carbs. I'm hoping Stillman's can get me where I want to be and then JUDDD can continue to keep me there.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:47 PM   #40
Partyof8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Partyof8
Stats: 348/231/170
WOE: Low Carb, Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: Began journey March '14 Break '15 restart: Jan '16
I didn't even think about spray Pam. I used it, it said no carbs/sugar/fat...
Thank you Mim and Bratty, I was hoping the berries didn't mess me up.
Still feeling good today, and down 1 pound from yesterday.
I did not need to use the restroom as much last night, so hopefully that was the end of the water weight and now we're moving on to fat.

No carb head aches or anything of that sort here. Have some broth on standby if they rear their head.
What was the slight gallbladder reaction, Coffee?

Restart after baby: 285 on 1/18/16 - lost 54 pounds since!
117 pounds total
Today, I will just do my very best.
Partyof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #41
coffeepot
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyof8 View Post
What was the slight gallbladder reaction, Coffee?
It's been several years, and I'm not sure if I can describe it. Before I did HCG, I was eating a high fat/zero carb diet with lots of either coconut oil or animal fat aiming for 80% fat. So after the 28 days (lost 20 lb that quickly found me again..), I had a typical meaty,fatty meal and very quickly got sick. The pain was in my upper right stomach under rib and then I had stomach pain and vomiting. I think I was probably instructed not to eat a lot of fat in the beginning, but since I had never had gallbladder pain/problems, I just assumed I never would!

I know some people do fantastic on HCG, but I wasn't one of them. It was easy to lose weight, but it came back just as easily. I also think I need more protein than it allowed.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #42
coffeepot
Junior LCF Member

Wow, Partyof8, you're another superstar dieter. Stats are amazing.Do you really have 6 children? My children are grown except for one teenager, and when she's around, I stress eat...trying to maintain sanity! So extra kudos to you!

Just amazing, fantastic weight loss. Congrats!
Old 08-03-2016, 02:02 PM   #43
coffeepot
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I'm hoping Stillman's can get me where I want to be and then JUDDD can continue to keep me there.
So you will use JUDD to maintain? And you won't lose more weight following it?
Old 08-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #44
Partyof8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
It's been several years, and I'm not sure if I can describe it. Before I did HCG, I was eating a high fat/zero carb diet with lots of either coconut oil or animal fat aiming for 80% fat. So after the 28 days (lost 20 lb that quickly found me again..), I had a typical meaty,fatty meal and very quickly got sick. The pain was in my upper right stomach under rib and then I had stomach pain and vomiting. I think I was probably instructed not to eat a lot of fat in the beginning, but since I had never had gallbladder pain/problems, I just assumed I never would!

I know some people do fantastic on HCG, but I wasn't one of them. It was easy to lose weight, but it came back just as easily. I also think I need more protein than it allowed.
Ahh. That is actually good to know. I will make sure to not go crazy at the end of the two weeks with fat. I'm thinking if I keep losing a pound a day, I will aim for doing all of August.
I may add vegetables back in after the 2 weeks. I'm paranoid about not eating vegetables!!

Quote:
Wow, Partyof8, you're another superstar dieter. Stats are amazing.Do you really have 6 children? My children are grown except for one teenager, and when she's around, I stress eat...trying to maintain sanity! So extra kudos to you!

Just amazing, fantastic weight loss. Congrats!
Well, thank you so much. Yes, I have 6 beautiful children. When I'm on here, I'm ignoring them. Somedays I post more than others. lol
My original post I meant to say: Still NOT feeling well today.
I'm going to go to the Dr. on Friday. This is just icky.

117 pounds total
Old 08-03-2016, 06:53 PM   #45
StillTheOne
Senior LCF Member

Quick question :

A friend of mine said she uses ricotta cheese in place cottage cheese in diet recipes .. Is it OK on Stillmans ? I prefer the texture and flavour of ricotta cheese much more than cottage cheese and I can definitely be more creative with my menu
Old 08-03-2016, 07:00 PM   #46
Partyof8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've always used the two cheeses interchangeably in recipes. Suppose you should look at nutritional info, but don't see why not.

117 pounds total
Old 08-03-2016, 07:27 PM   #47
Partyof8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am struggling a little this evening.
Have eaten 3 HB eggs today, some cottage cheese, some turkey pepperoni.
Started really wanting to cave on peanut butter *shakes fist at jars of Jif in house*, but didn't. It was close though...so I allowed myself an ounce of cheddar cheese.

My chicken isn't quite done yet.
It's day 3..so hoping tomorrow my appetite goes away all the way and then I won't be eye balling the Oreo's on top of the fridge.

Mostly I keep telling myself "You know what those taste like."
I told myself in 2 weeks I can have an off plan meal..hopefully appetite suppression and results will be so great that I won't feel the need for it!

117 pounds total
Old 08-03-2016, 07:32 PM   #48
StillTheOne
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I've always used the two cheeses interchangeably in recipes. Suppose you should look at nutritional info, but don't see why not.
Thank you ! Partyof8!
I will do so and post the nutrition info . I will do some creative meals if it's a a green light
Old 08-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #49
StillTheOne
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I am struggling a little this evening.
Have eaten 3 HB eggs today, some cottage cheese, some turkey pepperoni.
Started really wanting to cave on peanut butter *shakes fist at jars of Jif in house*, but didn't. It was close though...so I allowed myself an ounce of cheddar cheese.

My chicken isn't quite done yet.
It's day 3..so hoping tomorrow my appetite goes away all the way and then I won't be eye balling the Oreo's on top of the fridge.

Mostly I keep telling myself "You know what those taste like."
I told myself in 2 weeks I can have an off plan meal..hopefully appetite suppression and results will be so great that I won't feel the need for it!
Hang in there you got this ! We all know what Oreos taste like they taste like a big gain on the scale not worth the indulgence ..
Keep a healthy snack like almonds or pecans on hand not sugar loaded peanut butter or drink some green tea to curb those pangs .. keep strong !
Old 08-03-2016, 08:09 PM   #50
Partyof8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

<3 thank you Sto!

117 pounds total
Old 08-03-2016, 11:23 PM   #51
Partyof8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

10pm and I have made it through day 3.
I made (haha- had to twist their arms - right) the kids eat the Oreos so they wouldn't even tempt me.
Today I ate:

3 HB eggs
2 oz cheddar cheese
1/2 cup cottage cheese
half a chicken breast with sf ketchup

blech. I was mentally hungry all day today, but not too bad otherwise.

My fave stillmans meal so far was
Ground chicken (1 tube)
mixed with spices, and 3 eggs
Used parmesean cheese (dry stuff) to firm it up.
I'm not sure if the cheese is Stillman's approved.

Then I "fried" those up, and made a kind of sweet and sour type sauce on the side.

Soy sauce, water, sf ketchup, splenda, ginger spice.
It was runny, but quite good.

Tomorrow is town day (hopefully I feel up to it). I hope to have a loss on the scale in the AM because I don't want to be tempted by my town day treat --- a fancy coffee.

I suppose I could do Non fat milk and sugar free like usual..but, really would rather not have the temptation at all. Maybe I'll tell myself to stop at Ross and buy a new bra or undies in a smaller size instead
There I go

117 pounds total
Old 08-04-2016, 05:29 AM   #52
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Hello everyone! I am enjoying the quiet and my coffee this morning before I get going. I have a very busy day, but Friday and Saturday (my weekend) should be pretty stress free. I walked yesterday and I'll walk today! I now have my two pair of shoes for my Italy trip. I leave Oct.9 and will be there for two weeks!
Old 08-04-2016, 06:18 AM   #53
coffeepot
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Hello everyone! I am enjoying the quiet and my coffee this morning before I get going. I have a very busy day, but Friday and Saturday (my weekend) should be pretty stress free. I walked yesterday and I'll walk today! I now have my two pair of shoes for my Italy trip. I leave Oct.9 and will be there for two weeks!
Mim--Great on the walking! What kind of shoes did you buy? I'm always on the lookout for comfortable walking shoes.

Italy in October--sounds wonderful. I just finished reading "Four Seasons in Rome" by Anthony Doerr. It's an account of the year he spent in Rome with his family when he won the Rome Prize from the American Academy of Arts and Letters. It's been described as a love letter to Rome, and I thought while reading it, that if I was ever lucky enough to visit Rome again, I would reread it--it's beautiful, poetic, inspiring, etc.

While you enjoy your coffee--think of all that delicious coffee you will have in Italy!
Old 08-04-2016, 06:24 AM   #54
coffeepot
Junior LCF Member

About cheese--Stillman recommends skim milk cottage cheese, farmer cheese, or pot cheese only! Ricotta would be whole milk and too high fat as is cheddar. You would most likely lose weight if you're still eating protein only, but it's not Stillmans. Because I love cheese, I just try to stay away from it. I also find I have better results without dairy, but everyone is different!
Old 08-04-2016, 06:31 AM   #55
coffeepot
Junior LCF Member

Day 4-
Down one more lb for a total of 6 since Monday. I know it's probably a lot of water weight, but I'm psyched!

Yesterday, my appetite left me. I had some canned salmon for lunch, and I just couldn't eat anything else the rest of the day. My calories were probably about 300, so I was expecting a bigger loss. Still not hungry today, but I am definitely going to try to push more calories and food so I don't suffer all the ills of too low calorie for too long.

Since Stillman does allow red meat, I am thinking of some broiled top round--and water and coffee and tea.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:38 AM   #56
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Coffeepot - I love your name! I wear a fixed brace on my left foot/leg, so my shoes need to accommodate that. I bought a pair of clarks and a pair of rieker. I also bought a pair of sketcher's, but I had to take them back because they didn't work.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #57
coffeepot
Junior LCF Member

I love the look of the Rieker shoe--let me know how it holds up for you.
I have neuropathy in my feet, so I look for shoes with lots of support. Far cry from when I used to go barefoot! I have been using MBT for the last 10 yrs--but I am looking for something else. Sketchers didn't work for me either. Even my beloved birenstock stopped working once I developed neuropathy. Lacing up my shoes and going for a walk now.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:19 AM   #58
BrattyS
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 231.2/207.6/155 5'7"
WOE: Keto-Stillman
I knew I should not get on the scale today but I did it anyway. Only down 2 since Monday. I am not used to it going so slow. I'm spoiled.
Going to focus on the fact it did go down. I have been eating higher fat and too much salty stuff. Time to bring it down. Other than that I am doing great. Headache is gone.

Quote:
10pm and I have made it through day 3.
I made (haha- had to twist their arms - right) the kids eat the Oreos so they wouldn't even tempt me.
Today I ate:

3 HB eggs
2 oz cheddar cheese
1/2 cup cottage cheese
half a chicken breast with sf ketchup

blech. I was mentally hungry all day today, but not too bad otherwise.

My fave stillmans meal so far was
Ground chicken (1 tube)
mixed with spices, and 3 eggs
Used parmesean cheese (dry stuff) to firm it up.
I'm not sure if the cheese is Stillman's approved.

Then I "fried" those up, and made a kind of sweet and sour type sauce on the side.

Soy sauce, water, sf ketchup, splenda, ginger spice.
It was runny, but quite good.

Tomorrow is town day (hopefully I feel up to it). I hope to have a loss on the scale in the AM because I don't want to be tempted by my town day treat --- a fancy coffee.

I suppose I could do Non fat milk and sugar free like usual..but, really would rather not have the temptation at all. Maybe I'll tell myself to stop at Ross and buy a new bra or undies in a smaller size instead
There I go
PEANUT BUTTER! It kills me to make the kids sandwiches for school. The smell and the texture of the bread. It's like crack.

That chicken sounds good. I may have to try something like that out. You are doing great! Treat your self with a new bra!

Quote:
Glad you are feeling good enough to walk! w00t! You have 2 months to prepare for those 2 weeks. Plenty of time.

Quote:
Day 4-
Down one more lb for a total of 6 since Monday. I know it's probably a lot of water weight, but I'm psyched!

Yesterday, my appetite left me. I had some canned salmon for lunch, and I just couldn't eat anything else the rest of the day. My calories were probably about 300, so I was expecting a bigger loss. Still not hungry today, but I am definitely going to try to push more calories and food so I don't suffer all the ills of too low calorie for too long.

Since Stillman does allow red meat, I am thinking of some broiled top round--and water and coffee and tea.
6 pounds is really good. I love when the lose of appetite kicks in. I never want to eat. I have to make myself eat.
BrattyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:22 AM   #59
coffeepot
Junior LCF Member

[QUOTE=BrattyS;1750122

6 pounds is really good. I love when the lose of appetite kicks in. I never want to eat. I have to make myself eat.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Bratty. I don't remember the appetite suppression being this strong. However, I'm grateful for it! Being on low carb or lower carb diets for so long, there are a few things that I crave that are still slightly legal for any low carb diet except Stillman. So my husband snacks on pork rinds (love them) or delicious cheese (seriously addicted) or wine Even delicious fatty meat such as beef ribs or rib eye steak can make me crave, but the low fat Stillman diet works wonders, I guess, as far as appetite suppression.

So when you eat, does your appetite kick back in? Worried a little...
Old 08-04-2016, 10:31 AM   #60
StillTheOne
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
About cheese--Stillman recommends skim milk cottage cheese, farmer cheese, or pot cheese only! Ricotta would be whole milk and too high fat as is cheddar. You would most likely lose weight if you're still eating protein only, but it's not Stillmans. Because I love cheese, I just try to stay away from it. I also find I have better results without dairy, but everyone is different!
Cheese is very addictive
I am keeping away from dairy till I reach my goal for the month .. I feel lighter already which is why QWL works so well ..