Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 09-23-2016, 11:48 AM   #1
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 2017 - 142.8/137.7/128.2
I QUIT!

Iím not sure itís possible to be sicker of dieting then I am now. I joined up here in 2011 at 138#. Iíve been to goal and back again. Here I am 5+ years later and 5 pounds heavier. I've tried everything from HCG to IF with varying degrees of success and enthusiasm. I think Iím finally sick enough of all the counting, journaling and deprivation to make a real change of lifestyle. Iím going to quit dieting. Donít get me wrong, Iím not giving up. I am going to fully commit to Intuitive Eating.

I have read a couple things.
ďThe Overfed Head: What If Everything You Know About Weight Loss Is Wrong?Ē Is my personal favorite, short, simple and to the point. Iím in the process of rereading this now.

ďYou can have your cake and skinny jeans tooĒ I started this on Kindle, itís a bit wordy for me, but Iíll be picking that back up too.

I welcome anyone to join me or just hang. Or if you have any advice, please bring it on!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2016, 01:35 PM   #2
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 170/129.8/125-130 5'1
WOE: lc
I hear you Terri. I guess I could say I am at goal physically but mentally is a different story. I tell myself just do the best I can and get a little exercise each day but I still feel tormented by cravings! Sorry I have no answers!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=883453
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #3
SlimFast
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SlimFast
Stats: 251+/204.8/115
WOE: Cycling 72hr Water Fasts w/ Keto Meals
Start Date: Discovered Dr. Fung on September 27, 2016
I think you'll do great! Remember that you can IF as well, with any plan. MOST people aren't truly hungry 3-4-5-6 times a day anyway, if they're honest with themselves, and part of intuitive eating is eating when hungry - and ONLY when hungry.

If you're truly hungry a lot, then intuitive eating aside, you should probably examine what you're eating to cause it.

My advice? You'll have the best luck intuitively eating foods that AREN'T wheat or sugar. Those two foods will probably mess up your natural signals, which is what intuitive eating relies on. I'd just focus on replacing those two food items with options that will set you up for success better.
SlimFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:06 PM   #4
jem51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I had to quit, as well.

It's worked out very well. I rarely obsess anymore. It's very freeing.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:09 PM   #5
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
I hear you Terri. I guess I could say I am at goal physically but mentally is a different story. I tell myself just do the best I can and get a little exercise each day but I still feel tormented by cravings! Sorry I have no answers!
Aw the all elusive ďanswerĒ Iím beginning to wonder if is really exists. All I know is the last five years has not produced it. I have found that when I allow myself to have whatever I want (if Iím hungry) what I crave becomes entirely different.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:44 PM   #6
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

So if you eat a burger and fries you won't crave it again the next day? I have read the skinny jeans book i think but not IE.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:17 PM   #7
Dabbadooey
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dabbadooey
WOE: Simply Filling
Start Date: 1/24/17
I did this a couple years ago, and while it was freeing, I ate too much. At age 57 if I want to lose weight I have to maintain a calorie deficit. I can't make this happen naturally.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:30 PM   #8
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimFast View Post
I think you'll do great! Remember that you can IF as well, with any plan. MOST people aren't truly hungry 3-4-5-6 times a day anyway, if they're honest with themselves, and part of intuitive eating is eating when hungry - and ONLY when hungry.

If you're truly hungry a lot, then intuitive eating aside, you should probably examine what you're eating to cause it.

My advice? You'll have the best luck intuitively eating foods that AREN'T wheat or sugar. Those two foods will probably mess up your natural signals, which is what intuitive eating relies on. I'd just focus on replacing those two food items with options that will set you up for success better.
Thanks, I think those are real solid pieces of advice. I agree that IF goes hand in hand with IE. My last ďplanĒ was going towards the IF and I truly believe that any plan is better if you donít follow the same rules day after day. So the more I did it the more IE it became. That was the final bit of light that made me realize the way I needed to go. I also agree with the wheat and sugar advice. I have been coming to grips with the fact that they are just unhealthy foods for me not to mention what they do to my natural signals. Iím not saying ďI canít have those thingsĒ because that partly defeats the magic of IE, but I need to really want it and be hungry for it to have it. Itís amazing what little power the boxes of donuts had over me at the office this week when I told myself I could have one if I wanted it. All of a sudden the sheepís clothing fell off and I saw them for what they were, hunks of fried flour and sugar that actually made me ill to even smell.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:47 PM   #9
susan46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susan46
Stats: 256/211/150
WOE: High fat, low carb, moderate protein
Start Date: April 2016
Quote:
So if you eat a burger and fries you won't crave it again the next day? I have read the skinny jeans book i think but not IE.
Yeah, I will crave something "bad" the next day if I eat the bun and the fries.

If I allow any wheat or sugar I have cravings the whole day.

I can tolerate a serving of organic instant mashed potatoes on occasion.

Fries often have sugar added or maybe they call it dextrose, plus the bad dirty oils they are fried in.

My best solution is to make sure I eat enough protein last meal of the day and I still won't be hungry for 16-18 hours. It is harder to eat LC the next day, however, because I ate the wrong stuff the day before.
susan46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:02 PM   #10
marshamarsha
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marshamarsha
Stats: 270/175/140
WOE: low carb my way!
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
Iím not sure itís possible to be sicker of dieting then I am now. I joined up here in 2011 at 138#. Iíve been to goal and back again. Here I am 5+ years later and 5 pounds heavier. I've tried everything from HCG to IF with varying degrees of success and enthusiasm. I think Iím finally sick enough of all the counting, journaling and deprivation to make a real change of lifestyle. Iím going to quit dieting. Donít get me wrong, Iím not giving up. I am going to fully commit to Intuitive Eating.

I have read a couple things.
ďThe Overfed Head: What If Everything You Know About Weight Loss Is Wrong?Ē Is my personal favorite, short, simple and to the point. Iím in the process of rereading this now.

ďYou can have your cake and skinny jeans tooĒ I started this on Kindle, itís a bit wordy for me, but Iíll be picking that back up too.

I welcome anyone to join me or just hang. Or if you have any advice, please bring it on!
Man... as much as i'd love to say, "I Quit!" I would be fooling myself. Not to say that you are. But, for me, I can't have a high carb meal on a regular basis and think i'm not going to gain more weight. My reality, I will forever have to have restriction to stay at a somewhat "healthy" weight. I love to eat and i'm sad to say i'm good at it. One higher than usual carb meal turns into a weekend full of carbs, then it turns into months. Truth! its happened to me more than i care to admit. I do believe there must be some sort of balance. unfortunately, i haven't found mine. I hope you find yours! Until then, i do plan on starting something somewhat new with THM and see where that road takes me. five plus years of low carbing with belts in IF, Zero Carbs, Keto, Lchf, carbnite i still struggle!
marshamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:32 AM   #11
ouizoid
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: OMAD
IF and recognizing that I needed to eat whole foods, not crap, still not eating sugar--all really helped. Basically I skip breakfast and eat lunch and dinner which often have some carbs, but healthy and not too many--and I've been doing it a long time. doing this I didn't lose much weight--but I did lose cravings and overeating. When I added in long long walks, I started slowly dropping weight. I think we really need to find what works for us.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:57 AM   #12
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
The idea, and I have found truth in this, is if you're dieting and have a cheat meal you eat every last bit (before you have to stop) and since you "have already blown it" you keep wanting more and more before you have to stop and diet again. When "I can if I want" I don't feel compelled to eat it all and the next day I don't find I even care about it anymore.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:01 AM   #13
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
IF and recognizing that I needed to eat whole foods, not crap, still not eating sugar--all really helped. Basically I skip breakfast and eat lunch and dinner which often have some carbs, but healthy and not too many--and I've been doing it a long time. doing this I didn't lose much weight--but I did lose cravings and overeating. When I added in long long walks, I started slowly dropping weight. I think we really need to find what works for us.
I'm beginning to find this too. The first time I did it, coming off long term low carb, I used it to eat blueberry donuts "when I was hungry". Huh, big surprise I started to gain. Hopefully normal whole foods (using a dose of common sense) will be different.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:03 AM   #14
Leanne21071
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Leanne21071
Stats: 233/170/125-130
WOE: 310/1550 Keto./ Atkins
Start Date: restart Dec 8 2014 nov 2017
I loved Overfed head! I have the Skinny Jeans book as well. Read and reread! Recognizing what makes you not only feel good in the moment but how it makes you feel the next day is important. Truly enjoying every bite is also important. You do not have to do ish your food!

I try to use the advice in these books on my UDs. I truly hope this works for you and and that you are successful. I know it can take some time if you follow Josies steps and you might gain before you lose. I didn't do the doughnut and Doritos. Lol
But if I want an McDonald's ice cream cone I get one!
Keep us updated in your progress as it can be very freeing for all.
This time is forever Thanks to JUDDD!!!!(and Fung)and low carb friends!
1st mini goal 134.9 Done!
2nd major goal 124.9. 10/25
3rd ultimate and final goal 120ish 11/18
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-maintain.html
Leanne21071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:46 AM   #15
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I'd like to recommend Gillian Riley (her books have changed titles, so I don't know which one the following comes from--she has a great website, too).

She has 3 'principles' that I find really helpful.

The first is that you must believe 'I can eat anything I want at any time I want.'

[That's a tough one to really believe, but it's important.]

Then, when faced with a desire to eat or a specific food choice, you ask yourself the following questions:

Is this in keeping with my personal goal for weight management?

Is this consistent with my self-concept as a person who makes wise decisions?

I've found that so often the 'toddler' who lives in my brain and wants immediate gratification will be silenced by these questions
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:18 PM   #16
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Leo!
Old 09-24-2016, 09:26 PM   #17
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
I had to quit, as well.

It's worked out very well. I rarely obsess anymore. It's very freeing.
Hi Jem,
I've seen you around and I've wanted to connect. You seem so at peace. Please share your story with me.

By the by, I was in your neck of the woods today. DH from Chico, I'm from Fair Oaks, currently residing in Woodland.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:35 PM   #18
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne21071 View Post
I loved Overfed head! I have the Skinny Jeans book as well. Read and reread! Recognizing what makes you not only feel good in the moment but how it makes you feel the next day is important. Truly enjoying every bite is also important. You do not have to do ish your food!

I try to use the advice in these books on my UDs. I truly hope this works for you and and that you are successful. I know it can take some time if you follow Josies steps and you might gain before you lose. I didn't do the doughnut and Doritos. Lol
But if I want an McDonald's ice cream cone I get one!
Keep us updated in your progress as it can be very freeing for all.
Thanks Leanne.
Sage words, to be sure! I feel like such an infant here, though I've been here before as well.

Great job on your stats! What a great accomplishment!
Old 09-24-2016, 09:37 PM   #19
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshamarsha View Post
Man... as much as i'd love to say, "I Quit!" I would be fooling myself. Not to say that you are. But, for me, I can't have a high carb meal on a regular basis and think i'm not going to gain more weight. My reality, I will forever have to have restriction to stay at a somewhat "healthy" weight. I love to eat and i'm sad to say i'm good at it. One higher than usual carb meal turns into a weekend full of carbs, then it turns into months. Truth! its happened to me more than i care to admit. I do believe there must be some sort of balance. unfortunately, i haven't found mine. I hope you find yours! Until then, i do plan on starting something somewhat new with THM and see where that road takes me. five plus years of low carbing with belts in IF, Zero Carbs, Keto, Lchf, carbnite i still struggle!
Great Luck Marsh!
Old 09-26-2016, 05:26 AM   #20
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Hope you had a great weekend, Terri

Old 09-26-2016, 09:15 AM   #21
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Good Morning Jeanie,
I'm starting to get into the Zone. This weekend I had what I wanted and did pretty well stopping when I had enough. I weighed in on Sunday and I am down a little over Ĺ# from last week. So at least I’m not gaining. Right now that’s my biggest goal is relaxing, getting in the groove and not going backwards.

How about you? Feeling better?

Last edited by TerriMM; 09-26-2016 at 09:23 AM..
TerriMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:30 AM   #22
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/199/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Terri, I don't see your height mentioned anywhere, so it's possible that you are where you're body is supposed to be. I'd be very happy with that weight, but I understand that we each have our personal goals.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:50 AM   #23
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Carol,
Iím 5í1Ē. So Iím right at the border of overweight and healthy. 7# would get me to just healthy, 12# would get me well into healthy 17# would get me to a comfortable medium/high range. But whose counting?
Old 09-26-2016, 01:49 PM   #24
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
Good Morning Jeanie,
I'm starting to get into the Zone. This weekend I had what I wanted and did pretty well stopping when I had enough. I weighed in on Sunday and I am down a little over Ĺ# from last week. So at least Iím not gaining. Right now thatís my biggest goal is relaxing, getting in the groove and not going backwards.

How about you? Feeling better?
Down 1/2# without rules or undue stress that is awesome

I had a pretty good weekend food wise but like you I am weary of diets and rules, so I am going to try just eating what I want within reason and see what happens

Old 09-26-2016, 03:50 PM   #25
BuffyTVS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BuffyTVS
I SO understand where you are coming from. I read The Overfed Head about 10 years ago and loved it. Might I also recommend another great book that really deals with this issue? It's called How to Have Your Cake and Your Skinny Jeans Too by Josie Spinardi.
BuffyTVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:31 PM   #26
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Buffy,
I have that on Kindle and reading it now.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #27
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

For whatever reason, I am not interested in cake, but I would love to have my second helpings and skinny jeans too. LOL Once I start eating I cannot stop until the food is gone.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 09-27-2016, 11:39 AM   #28
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

That was probably one of my biggest challenges when I started Carol. I had been eating or not eating whatever I was supposed to for so long, I had lost my true hunger signals. I spent many meals pausing and asking myself if Iíd had enough before I finally started to get it. It is also one of the first things to go whenever I try a plan. I comes back easier now, but is still a challenge.

And I also LOVE cake! But lately I discovered something that works for me to quiet a sweet tooth. Pickled stuff, olives, peppers and of course pickles. Seems to redirect my taste buds.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:02 AM   #29
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Terri, I used to love sweets, too, but somewhere along the line I started eating more veggies, and I think that changed my taste buds. I think, over time, the pickled foods will do that for you, too!

I still have to work at waiting for hunger before I eat. I am starting to get that, but I'm still working on stopping when satisfied.

We will conquer this!!

Dr Jason Fung
Old 09-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #30
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

One of my favorite quotes Iíve read is ďhunger is not an emergencyĒ. I try to keep that is mind as Iím getting back into this. Breakfast and Lunch are much easier because itís usually just me. But Dinner can be a challenge because DH and I have always been a dinner together couple. Iím trying to make sure I donít have a meal too late so I will actually be hungry when itís time for dinner.