Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 11-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #121
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 2017 - 142.8/137.7/128.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Do you want to do a "just do something" together or would you prefer to just do your thing without a set schedule?
I think having the somethings as a base would be great! That's gets me going even when I "forget" or don't feel like doing the best laid plan.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #122
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
Grace, I find that if something looks good at the moment, it's not usually due to hunger, but craving. I want to learn to differentiate between the two.

If something looks good to me, I would like to set it aside and eat it with my next meal, when I'm hungry. In some cases, I may not be craving that item any longer by that time.
I like that tactic. I will use that as well.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:40 AM   #123
Grace1313
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Grace1313
Stats: 236/188/175
WOE: Low Carb my way
Start Date: September 9th, 2016
OK, so today is a new thing for me. I am not yet ready to quit tracking carbs. But, I decided to have relaxed carb day. For me, that means I am not tracking carbs today. I don't plan to pig out and there is nothing right now I am craving. We had Mexican food for lunch, I got the house special, rice on the side. DF ate that. I did however have maybe 5 chips with my meal.They were good, but I did not think..hmm I've been missing them The few I had were enough and not sure if I will have them again, next time.
I don't think I will have anything sugary today, as that craving has been suppressed so well, I don't want to mess that up. Today for me is just about taking a break from tracking every carb or bite of food. If I do eat something higher carb, I refuse to consider it cheating. I am making a conscious choice to do this for the day. No food I eat will be cheating, it is my choice and again I refuse to let food make me a cheater, it does not deserve that much power in my life. Thanks ladies for letting me ramble and happy Sunday!!
Grace1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:14 PM   #124
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 170/129.8/125-130 5'1
WOE: lc
Sounds like a wonderful plan Grace! I do struggle with sugar binges but do not track at all and rarely have done so in the past. I try to have the attitude you mentioned that it is just food and not feel guilty or shameful if I eat something sugary. I am admittedly having varying degrees of success with adopting this attitude consistently but it is important I believe because when I don't I then allow the slips to become an excuse to throw in the towel and eat even more crap.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=883453

Last edited by jeaniem; 11-06-2016 at 12:15 PM..
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #125
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
I think having the somethings as a base would be great! That's gets me going even when I "forget" or don't feel like doing the best laid plan.
I will start an exercise thread or post here? I am good either way.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #126
Grace1313
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Sounds like a wonderful plan Grace! I do struggle with sugar binges but do not track at all and rarely have done so in the past. I try to have the attitude you mentioned that it is just food and not feel guilty or shameful if I eat something sugary. I am admittedly having varying degrees of success with adopting this attitude consistently but it is important I believe because when I don't I then allow the slips to become an excuse to throw in the towel and eat even more crap.
Thanks Jeanine. Tonight DF wants spaghetti, first time in ages I've made it, so guess this relaxed day is a good day to see how it goes.
I definitely believe in the if you can't have it, then you want it. I myself will obsess about it, and then yes the guilt starts.
I have not implemented an exercise yet. Not sure where to even start.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:04 AM   #127
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/199/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Grace, it's important to find an exercise you will continue and what fits easily into your lifestyle. Many start with walking, because it's easy and accessible. Or an exercise video. I have a couple that I bought for $2 at Goodwill. A gym is good if you are so inclined and have the time and money for it. There are also things like Zumba classes. It all depends on you. Whatever you do, start out slow. An injury will stop you cold.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:36 AM   #128
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I will start an exercise thread or post here? I am good either way.
I'm good either way. Maybe we can motivate each other. Yesterday was several hours in the yard weeding and planting. Definitely got my something in.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:40 AM   #129
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

I agree with Carol Gracie, do something you enjoy so you'll be inclined to continue. I like doing lift squats while watching tv with dh. I wish he'd walk,but haven't talked him into it.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:14 PM   #130
Grace1313
Major LCF Poster!

I think that is good advice, ladies. Thank you. I need to check out the DVDs at Goodwill and see if any peak my interest.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:36 AM   #131
Grace1313
Major LCF Poster!

Just popping in to say Good morning! Stressful week, but keeping on track.
Hope everyone is doing well.

" I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be, but by the grace of God, I am not what I once was". - John Newton

Reminder to myself: share the grace I have been so freely given.

For Cynthia: I need food to fuel my body, not my emotions!
Old 11-10-2016, 05:48 AM   #132
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Grace I need to get back on track!

Old 11-10-2016, 06:09 PM   #133
Grace1313
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hi Grace I need to get back on track!
You will. We got this!!!

" I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be, but by the grace of God, I am not what I once was". - John Newton

Reminder to myself: share the grace I have been so freely given.

For Cynthia: I need food to fuel my body, not my emotions!
Old 11-11-2016, 11:51 AM   #134
finally!
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: finally!
Stats: 219/135/135
WOE: JUDDD/semi low carb for health reasons
Start Date: 6/1/14
hello, fellow "quitters"! This is a very helpful thread. i have moved on to HDE since reaching my goal and it has really been so freeing. For months i was in a constant state of panic and vigilance. Exhausting!!!!
Something i want to share that has really helped me when i feel I'm pushing the boundaries a bit much:

Rob Stevens, the author of "Overfed Head" has about 8 short video talks on Vimeo. They are very inspiring and oh so helpful in pounding those messages into my brain. Very short and to the point. I wish i knew where to write to him to thank him for creating these helpful tools.
Perhaps these have been mentioned and i didn't catch it, but if you haven't checked them out, please do so.
Best of success to all of you.
Sharon
5/7/16 - 140 lbs.
7/1/16 - 135 lbs.
finally! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #135
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Sharon!
I can't wait to watch them. I've search for Rob's website and other resources online and it seems that he's moved on to other endeavors. I guess true success with IE is to no longer be obsessed with it.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:56 PM   #136
finally!
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: finally!
Stats: 219/135/135
WOE: JUDDD/semi low carb for health reasons
Start Date: 6/1/14
You're welcome. That is what i was thinking also.
5/7/16 - 140 lbs.
7/1/16 - 135 lbs.
finally! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:54 PM   #137
kind
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kind
WOE: >
Start Date: April1 2013
That would be great to have a exercise plan here.
I hit a Wall since Aug.1st. and can not get it back.
I walk 8 miles.
and I just picked up jogging. Did my 1st.6 miles day day and a halfago.
I go to the ymca.
Like to get my aug. weight back to 126{Now up to 133
So 7lb gain.
Been reading on wholefoods30. But I have been doing good carbs, good fats and calarie counting 1,200
So like to join u all if i might.
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:28 PM   #138
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Okay Kind, works for me. Tomorrow I start. Toying with Slow burn and DDP. My first commitment is to come home and change into workout clothes so I can't conveniently forget that I'm getting going.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:12 AM   #139
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

I will join you on the exercise I want to commit to 2 - 3 days of weight training or pilates or any combo of resistance training.

Terri
What is DDP?

Last edited by jeaniem; 11-14-2016 at 04:14 AM..
Old 11-14-2016, 09:55 AM   #140
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Hope you don't mind my starting us out.

Day 1-
2 mile brisk walk
Pilates ( mostly lower body focused)

Old 11-14-2016, 10:19 AM   #141
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hope you don't mind my starting us out.

Day 1-
2 mile brisk walk
Pilates ( mostly lower body focused)
Perfect!
I have prep for DH travel, so today will be a light day. Parking at the end of the parking lot and brisk walking for lunch time shopping. 15 minutes of lift/squats tonight.

DDP - Is a yoga type workout I got for DH. He wants to get started, so I'll probably join him. To follow is the description from his web page:
Diamond Dallas Page originally developed DDP YOGA for athletes like himself who had suffered years of injuries due to high impact sports. For the first 42 years of his life, Dallas was a guy who "wouldn't be caught dead" doing Yoga, or anything like it. But DDP YOGA isn't your momma's yoga! It combines the very best of Yoga, Traditional Fitness, Sports Therapy and Dynamic Resistance to create one of the most effective fitness plans in existence today, that anybody can do!
Old 11-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #142
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

I found this article and thought it summed up IE very well.

EATING INTUITIVELY: HOW TO USE A HUNGER SCALE
Many of us might wish our stomachs came with a gauge to alarm us when our tank is full or nearing empty. Wouldnít it be great if our body told us how many more calories we needed to consume to gain, lose and maintain our weight? Itís a bummer Mother Nature didnít think that one through and give us this helpful visual reminder. But hereís the good news: There is a tool that can help you tune in to your hunger and fullness meter so you donít overfill your belly or wait too long to eat between meals.

WHAT IS A HUNGER SCALE, ANYWAY?

The ability to feel hunger and fullness is a quality that we were each born with. Babies and little kids donít need to be told how much milk or food they need to consume to stay healthy; instead, when they are satisfied, they become disinterested in food and simply stop eating. As we mature, this ability becomes bluntedówe learn to ignore it, confuse it with thirst or forget it altogether.

Luckily, we can train ourselves to tune in to our ability to feel hunger and fullness by visualizing a Hunger Scale. Imagine a meter ranging from 0Ė10, with zero being empty and 10 being slammed full. While everyone has their own definitions, physical experiences and symptoms of what hunger and fullness ranges look like, for a reference point and further explanation, the ranges are described here for you.

0 = Empty. I want to eat everything and anything all at once. Iíll take one of everything on the menu, and Iím definitely getting dessert tonight. I may have low blood sugar because I feel dizzy, lightheaded and flat-out hangry (slang for: so hungry youíre angry).

1 = Nearing Empty. Energy levels are low, and productivity is down. I may feel shaky, and I have poor concentration and mood swings.

2 = Really Hungry. Pit-in-the-stomach hunger and food are dominating my thoughts. I need to find some food fast, and my energy levels are dropping. Iím likely tempted to order unhealthy food at a restaurant and make poor food choices.

3 = Hungry. Itís time to eat a meal, and if I wait any longer Iím going to start feeling physical symptoms that are unpleasant.

4 = Slightly Hungry. Iím beginning to think about my next meal. I can absolutely wait to eat. If I eat now, I wonít need much to fill me up.

5 = Neutral. I am neither hungry nor full. Food is not on my mind.

6 = Slightly Satisfied. There is food in my belly, but I could eat more. If I stopped now, this meal may not last me longer than two hours.

7 = Satisfied. Iím no longer hungry. While it might be easy to eat more for comfort reasons or for the fact that the food tastes amazing, I feel content and satisfied and I donít need to eat more.

8 = Full. I ate my fill and may need to loosen the belt buckle at this point. Those last three to four bites put me over the edge.

9 = Nearing Uncomfortable. I overate. Polishing off my whole meal was not a good idea. Itís easy to zone out and disconnect from conversation at this point, because all I can think about is how overfull my stomach feels. I may even begin to feel nauseated.

10 = Stuffed. Ugh, why did I eat so much? Iím feeling stuffed like a turkey at a holiday party. At this point, I may put on some baggy clothes to get comfortable and either go to sleep or binge on Netflix to zone out.

HOW DO I USE THE HUNGER SCALE?

If you want to gain better control and lessen the chances of mindless or emotional eating, try using the Hunger Scale. Hereís how it works:

1. Rank your hunger right before you start to eat.

If you rate yourself overly hungry at 0Ė2, pay extra attention to how fast you are eating. Purposely slow down so that you donít pass through satisfaction without even recognizing it.

Gentle hunger can be felt at 4, and slight satisfaction is felt at 6. These are ranges in which it is normal to eat, but keep in mind you may not need very much at all to get you to the point of satisfaction. A small snack may do the trick.

If youíre satisfied and not physically hungry, but food is in front of you and youíre tempted to eat, ask yourself, ďWhat do I need right now?Ē This is a good way to dodge eating for emotional reasons and take care of yourself, because food will still leave you feeling empty if youíre eating as a reaction to emotions.

2. Halfway through your meal, rank your hunger again using the same scale of 1Ė10.

As you move through your meal, continue to check in with your satisfaction level instead of eating on autopilot and cleaning your plate. Keep in mind, it may only take a couple bites to feel gentle satisfaction.

If you are stuffed and still have food on your plate, donít throw in the towel and continue eating to oblivion. Instead, ask for a to-go box, push your plate away, toss it, or give the rest to your puppy.

3. If you continue eating, finish your meal and rank your hunger again.

If you are at a comfortable satisfaction at the end of your meal, itís likely that you chose the right portion sizes for that meal! Great job!

If you find that youíve overdone it, realize that overeating happens, even to intuitive eaters. Donít beat yourself up or feel guilty. Instead, question why you continued to eat past the point of fullness. Were you overly hungry when you started? Did the food just taste too good, so you didnít want to stop? Or maybe you didnít want to ďwasteĒ it?

IS MY HUNGER AND FULLNESS METER BROKEN?

Before you can accurately use the scale to tune in to your bodyís hunger and fullness and eat intuitively, you first have to determine if your Hunger Scale is operating properly or if it needs to be recalibrated. If youíve been severely restricting your calories for a while or find yourself yo-yo dieting and going through periods of binge eating, itís tough to determine true hunger and fullness because the body is all out of whack. Those innate senses have been turned off and ignored for too long, and they need to be brought back to life before jumping into intuitive eating.

A great way to recalibrate is through eating balanced meals that include a variety of food groups (fiber-rich carbs, fats, proteins) with appropriate portions and following a pattern of eating every four hours, give or take. This helps your body get back in tune with a rhythmic pattern of eating and allows normal peaks and valleys in satiety. Until your meter has been recalibrated, itís tough to really get a clue on hunger and fullness. If you feel nervous about doing this, it might be smart to work with a registered dietitian to help you design a meal plan that meets your ďrecalibrationĒ needs.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:35 PM   #143
Leanne21071
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Leanne21071
Stats: 233/170/125-130
WOE: 310/1550 Keto./ Atkins
Start Date: restart Dec 8 2014 nov 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
I found this article and thought it summed up IE very well.

EATING INTUITIVELY: HOW TO USE A HUNGER SCALE
Many of us might wish our stomachs came with a gauge to alarm us when our tank is full or nearing empty. Wouldnít it be great if our body told us how many more calories we needed to consume to gain, lose and maintain our weight? Itís a bummer Mother Nature didnít think that one through and give us this helpful visual reminder. But hereís the good news: There is a tool that can help you tune in to your hunger and fullness meter so you donít overfill your belly or wait too long to eat between meals.

WHAT IS A HUNGER SCALE, ANYWAY?

The ability to feel hunger and fullness is a quality that we were each born with. Babies and little kids donít need to be told how much milk or food they need to consume to stay healthy; instead, when they are satisfied, they become disinterested in food and simply stop eating. As we mature, this ability becomes bluntedówe learn to ignore it, confuse it with thirst or forget it altogether.

Luckily, we can train ourselves to tune in to our ability to feel hunger and fullness by visualizing a Hunger Scale. Imagine a meter ranging from 0Ė10, with zero being empty and 10 being slammed full. While everyone has their own definitions, physical experiences and symptoms of what hunger and fullness ranges look like, for a reference point and further explanation, the ranges are described here for you.

0 = Empty. I want to eat everything and anything all at once. Iíll take one of everything on the menu, and Iím definitely getting dessert tonight. I may have low blood sugar because I feel dizzy, lightheaded and flat-out hangry (slang for: so hungry youíre angry).

1 = Nearing Empty. Energy levels are low, and productivity is down. I may feel shaky, and I have poor concentration and mood swings.

2 = Really Hungry. Pit-in-the-stomach hunger and food are dominating my thoughts. I need to find some food fast, and my energy levels are dropping. Iím likely tempted to order unhealthy food at a restaurant and make poor food choices.

3 = Hungry. Itís time to eat a meal, and if I wait any longer Iím going to start feeling physical symptoms that are unpleasant.

4 = Slightly Hungry. Iím beginning to think about my next meal. I can absolutely wait to eat. If I eat now, I wonít need much to fill me up.

5 = Neutral. I am neither hungry nor full. Food is not on my mind.

6 = Slightly Satisfied. There is food in my belly, but I could eat more. If I stopped now, this meal may not last me longer than two hours.

7 = Satisfied. Iím no longer hungry. While it might be easy to eat more for comfort reasons or for the fact that the food tastes amazing, I feel content and satisfied and I donít need to eat more.

8 = Full. I ate my fill and may need to loosen the belt buckle at this point. Those last three to four bites put me over the edge.

9 = Nearing Uncomfortable. I overate. Polishing off my whole meal was not a good idea. Itís easy to zone out and disconnect from conversation at this point, because all I can think about is how overfull my stomach feels. I may even begin to feel nauseated.

10 = Stuffed. Ugh, why did I eat so much? Iím feeling stuffed like a turkey at a holiday party. At this point, I may put on some baggy clothes to get comfortable and either go to sleep or binge on Netflix to zone out.

HOW DO I USE THE HUNGER SCALE?

If you want to gain better control and lessen the chances of mindless or emotional eating, try using the Hunger Scale. Hereís how it works:

1. Rank your hunger right before you start to eat.

If you rate yourself overly hungry at 0Ė2, pay extra attention to how fast you are eating. Purposely slow down so that you donít pass through satisfaction without even recognizing it.

Gentle hunger can be felt at 4, and slight satisfaction is felt at 6. These are ranges in which it is normal to eat, but keep in mind you may not need very much at all to get you to the point of satisfaction. A small snack may do the trick.

If youíre satisfied and not physically hungry, but food is in front of you and youíre tempted to eat, ask yourself, ďWhat do I need right now?Ē This is a good way to dodge eating for emotional reasons and take care of yourself, because food will still leave you feeling empty if youíre eating as a reaction to emotions.

2. Halfway through your meal, rank your hunger again using the same scale of 1Ė10.

As you move through your meal, continue to check in with your satisfaction level instead of eating on autopilot and cleaning your plate. Keep in mind, it may only take a couple bites to feel gentle satisfaction.

If you are stuffed and still have food on your plate, donít throw in the towel and continue eating to oblivion. Instead, ask for a to-go box, push your plate away, toss it, or give the rest to your puppy.

3. If you continue eating, finish your meal and rank your hunger again.

If you are at a comfortable satisfaction at the end of your meal, itís likely that you chose the right portion sizes for that meal! Great job!

If you find that youíve overdone it, realize that overeating happens, even to intuitive eaters. Donít beat yourself up or feel guilty. Instead, question why you continued to eat past the point of fullness. Were you overly hungry when you started? Did the food just taste too good, so you didnít want to stop? Or maybe you didnít want to ďwasteĒ it?

IS MY HUNGER AND FULLNESS METER BROKEN?

Before you can accurately use the scale to tune in to your bodyís hunger and fullness and eat intuitively, you first have to determine if your Hunger Scale is operating properly or if it needs to be recalibrated. If youíve been severely restricting your calories for a while or find yourself yo-yo dieting and going through periods of binge eating, itís tough to determine true hunger and fullness because the body is all out of whack. Those innate senses have been turned off and ignored for too long, and they need to be brought back to life before jumping into intuitive eating.

A great way to recalibrate is through eating balanced meals that include a variety of food groups (fiber-rich carbs, fats, proteins) with appropriate portions and following a pattern of eating every four hours, give or take. This helps your body get back in tune with a rhythmic pattern of eating and allows normal peaks and valleys in satiety. Until your meter has been recalibrated, itís tough to really get a clue on hunger and fullness. If you feel nervous about doing this, it might be smart to work with a registered dietitian to help you design a meal plan that meets your ďrecalibrationĒ needs.
This needs to be printed out onto placemats. Oh and refrigerator magnets. Thank you!
I worked outside with my hubby today. Not a real workout but a whole lot more than I'm used to.
This time is forever Thanks to JUDDD!!!!(and Fung)and low carb friends!
1st mini goal 134.9 Done!
2nd major goal 124.9. 10/25
3rd ultimate and final goal 120ish 11/18
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-maintain.html
Leanne21071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:06 PM   #144
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne21071 View Post
This needs to be printed out onto placemats. Oh and refrigerator magnets. Thank you!
I worked outside with my hubby today. Not a real workout but a whole lot more than I'm used to.

Thanksgiving place mats!
Old 11-15-2016, 06:24 PM   #145
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Day 2
2 mile brisk walk

How you feeling Terri?

Old 11-15-2016, 10:59 PM   #146
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Jeanie,
I'm doing okay. I got my stupid UTI back. So I'm back on antibiotics. Between the inflammation and eating because I need do with the drugs vs. being hungry I'm feeling like I've gone a little backwards. But I'm not going to prove it by weighing in

Yesterday I did my brisk walk shopping and lift/squats. Today it was house cleaning. I imagine a lot of my somethings will encompass getting ready for Thanksgiving this week as I'm cooking. But I'll try to fit in some formal lift/squat/abs at least every other day.

How's things going for you? How did your fasts go?
Old 11-16-2016, 05:55 AM   #147
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Uti's are no fun, hope you feel better soon.

I am doing okay with the fasting, some days longer than others!

Old 11-19-2016, 11:57 AM   #148
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Okay, today is the last dose of antibiotics Tomorrow if not Monday I'm back to putting as many hours between last a first meal as possible and getting back on track. I don't think things have gone badly, but I won't weigh in until after the holiday. DH wants to start South Beach then. I'm still not going to "diet" but will be cooking more along those lines for him and therefore for me. So I'll probably weigh in when he starts and see where I landed and where I'm headed.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:20 PM   #149
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Sounds great Terri.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:22 AM   #150
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/199/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
You guys are doing great with your exercise challenge! It's a challenge to get me to start. LOL

Terri, I think you can do IE or IF with any eating plan. I even did LC with WW Points Plus successfully. It's all up to the individual.

I saw a cheap copy of Overfed Head online and ordered it. That's still where my main problem lies. I have been reading the PDF on my computer but I would also like to also have an actual book that I can carry around with me, and highlight, etc.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote