Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 12-18-2016, 07:43 AM   #211
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/202/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Cheryl, DH is feeling better and eating more regular food without any problems. I really don't want him to gain the weight back although now he probably will. He is a very muscular man, but has gone up 2 pants sizes and 1 shirt size, so it would be to his advantage healthwise to stay on the slim size. He does burn off a lot of calories. I have no room to talk. I have gained way more than 1 or 2 sizes and my health has suffered for it.

When I was single, I had to be very strict on my food budget. I had to pay my rent and car payment, utilities and such, then what I had left was for food. I ate a lot of eggs because they were low price. So I understand how you feel. Only buy foods that are high nutrition to get your money's worth. I have learned to only cook the amounts we are going to eat today. DH won't eat leftovers of very many things. When I worked, I loved having the leftovers to take for my lunch, but now being retired, I have to learn to throw it out instead of overeating. I hate to throw food away.

Terri, I sometimes wonder what causes the starch cravings. I always think cravings mean your body is lacking something it needs, but there's not much nutritional value in starch. I don't understand it either, but I do know that when you're craving something, nothing else is going to satisfy.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2016, 08:00 AM   #212
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Carol-
This may be just my bias, but from what I've read 'cravings' are purely brain activity. Our 'lower' brains like pleasure foods, and when they don't get enough of those foods, we experience cravings. The way to deal with them (for me) is to ignore them and distract myself, and then they go away.

I think that the idea that cravings represent something our bodies 'need' is based on a great excuse to eat the foods that provide comfort. After all, I really doubt that my body 'needs' chocolate. If I focus on quality nutrition in the foods I eat (as I do), I can be sure that any cravings are coming from my 'lower brain' and can be safely ignored.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #213
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 2017 - 142.8/137.7/128.2
For my two cents worth, I think cravings are a little of both. Certainly when I’m not really hungry, I believe they are brain cravings. But when I’m rocking IE, I notice my cravings are more nutritious oriented, in fact I rarely crave sweets at that point. So that being said, I think that tells me I’m not really rocking this week.

The potluck was fun. We have a really great group of people. Most of us have been there 5+ years and get along really well. I’ve been there 21, so I’m like the Mommy of the office. Our gift exchange was “garage sale, white elephant”, something you’d clean out of your closet and sale at a garage sale. It’s a hoot and really defines the meaning of “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure”.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #214
CherylB
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Stats: 250/228/150
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 7/12/17
Carol, I'm glad your hubby is doing better. Do you think he'll want to keep the lost weight off? He must feel slimmer and slimmer is almost always a better feeling than gut-hanging-over-ones-belt. I hope he decides to keep it off but regain his health.

Yeah, stretching the money when things are tight is tough. You have to learn to tell yourself "no" allot. It's good for ones character, though. Whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. I used to eat bacon and eggs daily while on Atkins and I loved them. I didn't care if I ate anything else. Then I hit the wall. I'm not thrilled with eggs anymore, unless I can have toast to dip into the runny yokes.

Leo, you'll be happy to hear that I'm finally going to get my labs drawn. Isn't it ridiculous that it's taken me all this time? Yes, I've been on the road and it's been out of the ordinary, but I should have taken care of this long before now. This time, I'm having all the labs done, not just the thyroid. It's time for a good "how ya doin" group of labs.

Terri, that's so cool that you've been at that job for 21 years. I never worked at one place longer than 5 years. I get restless. But I've always admired the ones who could stick it out and thrive in one job. I tend to burn my bridges.

As far as the cravings thing goes, I think it's a tastebud issue, too. I find that if my tastebuds get accustomed to certain foods, they want more and more of them. If I cut them off completely (the foods) and eat stuff that initially tastes ho-hum, they adjust and start to forget the other things that were my undoing.
is all you really need.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #215
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Wishing everyone a beautiful Christmas and a very happy New Years.

Hanging on by my fingernails a little here trying not to let the chocolate in the office rule my life. My only real goal (aside from reverting to mindless eating) is to make it to the new year with some sort of a net loss for the year.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:36 AM   #216
CherylB
Big Yapper!

Ah, make your goals a little smaller. Make it a daily thing and set limits for each meal. Make a game out of it. Like one chocolate for each 4 hours of work. Pick your favorite one and put it in a safe place, then set the stop watch.

Merry Christmas to you, too.
is all you really need.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:17 AM   #217
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 170/129.8/125-130 5'1
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
Wishing everyone a beautiful Christmas and a very happy New Years.

Hanging on by my fingernails a little here trying not to let the chocolate in the office rule my life. My only real goal (aside from reverting to mindless eating) is to make it to the new year with some sort of a net loss for the year.
Merry Christmas! Enjoy your time off

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=883453
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:45 AM   #218
Grace1313
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Grace1313
Stats: 236/188/175
WOE: Low Carb my way
Start Date: September 9th, 2016
Merry Christmas!!

" I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be, but by the grace of God, I am not what I once was". - John Newton

Reminder to myself: share the grace I have been so freely given.

For Cynthia: I need food to fuel my body, not my emotions!
Grace1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:18 AM   #219
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning....happy morning-after to all! We had our big day on Christmas Eve and Christmas day was quiet. It was so relaxing, really. Now back to business.

Leo, I don't think I explained myself the way I intended about cravings. I didn't mean that your body needs the thing you are craving, but that it needs something else. I find that if I am eating healthy that I don't get cravings. For example, when I upped my vegetable consumption my cravings for sweets went away almost completely.

This morning, I woke up craving ham. LOL I finished it off for breakfast. Now to work on the leftover turkey.

Cheryl, DH is feeling a lot better. He loves his carbs (sweets) too much to make an effort to keep the weight off. He has never had a real weight problem and just goes up and down 10 lbs or so.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:31 PM   #220
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Well I ended up with a big 1.2# loss for the year. At least it's a loss. And it taught me that I can live on IE.

I must admit I did go a little over board on the chocolate at the office the week before Christmas and a few more then normal indulgences since, but for the most part just lived the IE lifestyle through the holidays.

DH wants to do Atkins '72 starting Tuesday and hopefully chunk off a few decades. I'm going to support him by eating the same (more or less) to get back to the LC habit I prefer. But maintaining my IE lifestyle as a priority. If I start to get food crazy, I'll just go back to IE only.

Hope everyone enjoyed the holidays!
Old 01-01-2017, 06:17 PM   #221
CherylB
Big Yapper!

I have been laying low and not posting a lot. I was happy to see you posted, Terri. I almost forgot about this thread, I haven't seen it pop up in my list in so long.

Hey! A loss is a loss. I haven't any idea what I started the year weighing and only know what I weighed right after Thanksgiving. I doubt I lost anything and may have gained. I didn't try. It was a very difficult year on many levels.

I haven't decided what my approach to weight loss and better health will be but I'm positive I have to start walking on most days. My cardiovascular health is about as low as it can go. Flabby heart muscles, big abdomen that pushes up on my diaphragm and takes up space that should be open for my lungs to inflate, etc.

Not binging and exercising daily and keeping myself busy will probably be all I need to do. NOT being occupied is what gets me into trouble. Idle hands and all that they say about them.

I hope you ladies had a great Christmas and New Year's. Let's have a wonderful 2017.
is all you really need.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:43 PM   #222
Grace1313
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Grace1313
Stats: 236/188/175
WOE: Low Carb my way
Start Date: September 9th, 2016
Happy New Year's everyone!!

" I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be, but by the grace of God, I am not what I once was". - John Newton

Reminder to myself: share the grace I have been so freely given.

For Cynthia: I need food to fuel my body, not my emotions!
Grace1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:21 PM   #223
Sphinx1992
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sphinx1992
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone has lost weight from the information from "the overfed head" I was also wondering if you should only drink things with calories when you are actually hungry? I really want IE to work for me.
Sphinx1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:08 PM   #224
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Sphinx,
I can't say I have lost significantly, but I have well maintained and backed off some. The thing to remember about IE is it's a process of getting back to what your body really needs to be it's normal self. So I would say the farther you are away from your normal self, the more you will lose.

As far as drinking things with calories when you're hungry, I think you're mixing this up with a diet, and that is not what this is. If you're hungry ask "your body" what it wants. If it's water, maybe you're just thirsty. If it's tomato juice then it wants something more substantial and maybe needs some lycopene. The point is, you need what your body needs not what someone else says you should have.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #225
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

I think if you are thirsty you should probably drink water, but other things are OK too, IMO.

There's always the scenerio of drinkers, who are having alcohol either out with friends or at home. You don't refuse to have a drink because you are not hungry/thirsty. I'm curious about that though, and would have to look through the book and see if it addresses that. Like you said, Terri, it's not a diet, so you don't refuse the drink because of the calories.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #226
Sphinx1992
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sphinx1992
Thank you so much Terri and Carol. What you said makes sense to me. Im still trying to learn how to listen to my body as to what it wants/needs when I'm hungry
Sphinx1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:07 PM   #227
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

And……………………she’s back!!

I took a short hiatus to do a ’72 induction with DH. I adhered to all the rules, lost 4#, stalled and became food manic. I was eating what was “legal” just because it was, and sometimes gulping it because I was so unsatisfied and needed fulfillment. I felt very needy. As soon as I told myself I was back on IE and could have whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, my food obsession ceased.

I think it’ll take a couple days to return to Food Peace, but I’m so happy to headed there. I can’t help but wonder and hope that those 4#s will stick with me.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:34 AM   #228
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Terri, I wish I could say I'm glad you're back, but realize that it means you didn't find "it." Atkins Induction wasn't the answer for you. I hope you maintain the 4 lb loss and just continue on. Every pound counts, no matter how you got it.

I did the same thing on Atkins. I felt that I could eat as much as I wanted as long as it was low carb. I was constantly snacking on low carb foods. Of course I never felt hungry. You don't get hungry when you're constantly eating. I still have to eat primarily low carb because of my diabetes, but I guess what I'm aiming for is IELC.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:37 AM   #229
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Carol,
Actually I'm thrilled to be back. Coming back was all I thought about the whole time I was doing Atkins. Its just such a wonderful way to live. It takes a little more thought from time to time, you just can't mindlessly stuff "legal" food in your mouth. But as we both know, that doesn't work either. I did '72 because DH wanted to and I figured it couldn't hurt to lose a few and leave the holiday eating behind.

DH is now moving on the "careful carb" and I generally eat low carbish most of the time anyway. When I'm doing IE, I only have so much room and I prefer to fill it with protein, veggies and fat

Last edited by TerriMM; 01-29-2017 at 10:40 AM..
TerriMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:40 AM   #230
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi all

Just thought I’d check in and say quick Hello. I’m still following IE, mostly LC due to the fact that’s what DH is eating. I’m happy to report I’ve hung on to the 4# I lost with ’72 last month.

How is everyone else doing?

A question for those of you long term IEers, do you periodically take a break to lose a few and then return? If you do, what plan do you normally do? I find I maintain very well on IE, but don't lose much and I would really like to drop another 10#.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:47 AM   #231
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

I am curious to see if anyone answers that question. For me, I don't lose more than a couple pounds no matter what plan I do. I guess I should be glad I'm not gaining.

I have a question though, about how you handle your IE and eating with DH. For example, what if DH is ready for dinner, but you are not yet hungry. This is part of the reason why I eat when I'm not hungry. Like today. I was still not hungry at noon, but I ate, because I didn't want to go all the way to dinner, and if I waited and ate later, I would not be hungry when DH was ready for dinner at 4 or 5. And sometimes I am not actually hungry when DH is ready to eat dinner, but I eat anyway. I think it's hard to do IE when you have someone else to consider.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:08 PM   #232
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

It's definitely a challenge Carol. I've done a bit of that myself this week. When I'm better on my game I'll have a snack that just gets me by so I'll be hungry when I'm feeding DH.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:37 AM   #233
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Terri, someone posted an article about IF on another forum and it sent me back to reading Dr Fung. I am going to go back to IF. Not long term, mind you, but 16:8 on days that DH cooks breakfast, and fasting until dinner on days that he doesn't. As it is now, when he has something like cake or pie to eat for breakfast, like he did this mornng, he does not cook eggs for us. Usually that leads me to cook them for myself. I plan on no longer doing that, and instead, just fasting until dinner. I don't know how long I will last on this! LOL My concern with this is more my diabetes than weight loss. I feel that any plan will help with weight loss if you stick to it, but IF is supposed to work wonders for blood sugar/insulin control. I don't ever see myself doing multiple days of fasting. I won't say never, but not likely.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:20 PM   #234
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

I have a hard time considering doing a multiple day fast at this point as well. I have been doing more of a routine 16:8 during the week since I went back on IE and I think it has served me very well to stabilize my weight. Even after losing 4# doing ’72 last month I only bounced up a pound or so when I got off. It used to be I would gain back 4# after getting off LC.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:41 AM   #235
marshamarsha
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marshamarsha
Stats: 270/175/140
WOE: low carb my way!
Start Date: 2011
i tried doing IF and although it worked well while on it i feel that the 23:1 fasting was causing me to have food benges in my one hour of feasting. So i cut back to 16:8 and the weight loss stopped. I actually gained 30 pounds when i stopped IF all together. I'm still low carb/keto around 30 carbs per day, but the weight still won't come off. I'm glad to hear that IF, continues to work for most.
marshamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:12 PM   #236
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Marsha,
Thanks for stopping by. I find that IF (more of the 16:8 variety) works great with IE for me as a maintenance/stabilization plan. I too am having issues losing. Partly because of age, I'm sure and partly because I just don't seem to be willing to do the extremes I once was. So, my plan going forward is low carb"ish" IE with an IF bend. Then add weights and some walking type cardio to hopefully edge things down.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:40 PM   #237
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

How everyone else doing? Jeanie, Carol, Cheryl, Sphinx, Grace and all lurkers in general ?
Old 03-02-2017, 02:07 PM   #238
marshamarsha
Senior LCF Member

What is IE?
Old 03-02-2017, 02:42 PM   #239
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Intuitive Eating, also refereed to as Hungry Driven Eating HDE. Probably the best tools, hands down, I've ever learned.

A couple things to read if you're interested.
“The Overfed Head: What If Everything You Know About Weight Loss Is Wrong?” Is my personal favorite, short, simple and to the point.

“You can have your cake and skinny jeans too” I started this on Kindle, it’s a bit wordy for me, but I’ve picked that back up too.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #240
marshamarsha
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
Intuitive Eating, also refereed to as Hungry Driven Eating HDE. Probably the best tools, hands down, I've ever learned.

A couple things to read if you're interested.
“The Overfed Head: What If Everything You Know About Weight Loss Is Wrong?” Is my personal favorite, short, simple and to the point.

“You can have your cake and skinny jeans too” I started this on Kindle, it’s a bit wordy for me, but I’ve picked that back up too.
Thanks for this. I'll have to do some reading.