Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-03-2017, 02:07 PM   #241
qurlybee
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: qurlybee
Stats: 179 | 164 | 125
WOE: LC Vegan
Start Date: March 2017
Hi, Terri!
Not sure if you remember me, but I was on the boards a few years ago and was part of the M&E family. So happy to be back!
I have been thinking a lot about IE. As a vegan, I started a new WOE on Wednesday, but I am afraid it might not be working out for me. I was trying to do HFLC and for the past few hours I have been feeling absolutely terrible. Super nauseated out of nowhere and very hungry but the thought of eating what I have been eating for the past few days is making me want to vomit.
It's been a bit of a challenge to get fat high enough and carbs low enough without eating the same things over and over again, and though it hasn't even been 3 days, I feel like I'm already over it. And I resonate so much with your first post. I am so tired of being on a diet. I have been on and off diets since I was 5 years old, and I am just tired. I'd like to try IE as well. I remember being successful with it for a few months in the past and I was completely in awe of the fact that I really just did NOT need much food to be satisfied. Imo decreasing the volume of food to what it should be naturally and cutting out sugar will automatically get rid of some of my unnecessary carbs, too, so I think I will be joining you tomorrow. I am already gluten-free because of a wheat allergy. I just want to eat like a normal person!!!

My LC Vegan Journey
qurlybee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2017, 03:03 PM   #242
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 2017 - 142.8/137.7/128.2
Of course I remember you QB! Very happy to have you along for the ride!!

It constantly amazes me how much less I eat doing IE. People think Iím dieting, but donít really get why Iím not eating diet food. Iíve tried going back on a couple plans since I started IEing, but I would find myself over eating and becoming food manic, so I keep coming back. I have lost the desire to go to the extremes to lose a few quickly just to have them rebound just as quickly. I think Iím going to just stick with this for a while and try to focus on some lifting, walking etc. to improve health and tone. I really think if I do that, the weight will take care of itself. Aside from the fact, Iím just sick and tired of hating what Iím eating. Whatís the point of that?

Have you read anything on this? If so what? I think I remember you actually introducing this to me back in the day. Is that right?
Old 03-03-2017, 03:27 PM   #243
qurlybee
Senior LCF Member

Hey!!! I'm so happy you remember!
I have read lots but it was at least 12 years ago, so I can stand to read some more recent info.
I am honestly not sure if I introduced you or not, but I wouldn't be surprised! IF and IE always worked very well for me in the past, but for some reason, I always end up back into some crazy plan, gaining all the weight, and not being patient enough to let those work! I'm definitely ready to make IE permanent!

My LC Vegan Journey
Old 03-03-2017, 05:10 PM   #244
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Boy you're really singing my song. I did lose a decent amount and kept a significant amount off once on Protein Power and once on Weight Watchers. But for the last 7 years or so, I have zilch to show for all my efforts. Not to say I haven't lost. I have over and over and over again. But somehow those pounds keep finding their way home, but they don't necessarily bring their lean muscle friends with them. I popped over to your new journal and noticed you've gotten into lifting, etc. That's awesome and what I want to focus on now. Are you working out at home or in the gym?
Old 03-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #245
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Good Morning All!

Just checking in to say . Things are going well. Last weekend my weight jumped up about 2#. Not really sure why, sun, exercise, excesses ? My first thought was to get on í72 to get it back off, but I just couldnít do it. I was unsatisfied and a bit food manic. So, I just went back to IE, had what I actually wanted and stopped when I had enough. Low and behold, Iím back down today. And that includes working out last night and a small chocolate Frosty yesterday.

I have noticed that since Iíve been working out, Iím much hungrier in the mornings. So, I have been having breakfast, which makes only about 12 hours in between last and first meal. Seems the be working fine.

We are going out to dinner with friends Saturday. My DH, who is doing low carb, said ďIím going to have a baked potato, I donít care. And then Iíll get back on plan Monday.Ē I said ďI doubt Iíll have room for the entrťe and a potato, so I probably wonít.Ē No cheating or getting back on plan for me, just freedom. I just need to learn to trust it more. The diet brain is still deeply entrenched.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:58 PM   #246
qurlybee
Senior LCF Member

Hi, Terri! Sorry I dropped off the face of the earth. I have finally come to terms with the fact that it's my large portion sizes (read: binges), not the carbs that are killing me. I can't quite trust myself to eat intuitively yet after trying for a few days and failing miserably. I wish you all the best though! Since I am not concerning myself with anything carb-related anymore, I will probably not be posting here much since I won't have all that much to contribute. I'll be joining another forum that is a bit more my speed for now.

My LC Vegan Journey
Old 03-17-2017, 11:19 AM   #247
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

No problem QB. You're welcome back for a visit anytime. Best of luck to you!!!
Old 03-22-2017, 10:09 AM   #248
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Good Morning all,
Iím doing well. Hit my all-time low (of the last couple years) Saturday 137.7. That puts me solidly under 10 pounds to goal. Iím feeling really good and learning more and more just to listen to my body when itís not hungry just to skip it. Another tool that has been real useful is ďif itís not wonderful, donít eat itĒ. It has kept me from mindless eating just because itís there or meal time. Once I push it away, more times than not Iíll find Iím no longer hungry (if I ever was) and if I am, I find something thatís worth eating.

How is everyone else doing? Anyone else giving this WOE a go?
Old 03-22-2017, 12:31 PM   #249
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 170/129.8/125-130 5'1
WOE: lc
Congrats on your new low, Terri! I am 10 above where I was a couple of months ago, but have been doing no real plan

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=883453
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:16 AM   #250
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Good Morning Jeanie, Thanks!

I think that still puts you a bit below me. I know itís higher than the charts say we should be, although not by much. And I know we would prefer to be slimmer for vanities sake. But personally, Iíve decided itís not worth the extreme deprivation and life style sacrifices that maintaining the 125 number was taking. Now that being said, Iím hoping I continue to drop with IE and the way itís going, it looks promising, if not at a snail pace . But my lifestyle is so much better, my weight fluctuations much more stable and I feel like what I do achieve is more permanent.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:27 PM   #251
Pina
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pina
Stats: 5'5" Age 65
Hi Terri,
I've read a few pages of this thread and wanted to 'shake your hand' for committing to IE. You're braver than I have been to date. I tried to commit 2-3 times over the last 3 years - joined the website, read and studied the book. Alas, I couldn't shake the diet mentality...not even the scales. I don't know if it gets harder the longer you struggle to maintain (it's a marathon for me), but one day I'll take the plunge again. Quick question - did you gain much weight during the transition?
Wishing you every success.

:Pina:

Maintaining 121 -125 lbs since 2005
Maintenance Goal for 2016: 119 - 121 lbs.... tick
Maintenance goal for 2017: 120-122 lbs
Pina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:16 AM   #252
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Pina!
The first few times were epic failures for me. I tried to make it an only eat blueberry donuts if Iím really hungry plan. And big surprise, I did gain. This time I just decided I was done with dieting and if I wanted to stop I needed to not only focus on IE, but whole foods as much as possible and move away from sugar as much as possible. Thatís not to say I deprive myself of an occasional treat if I really want one (and am hungry). But I donít seek out that stuff to eat just because I can. The missing part the first couple times was to ask my body, not my pea brain what it wanted and feed it that. If I canít decide, I figure Iím head hungry and not body hungry and wait until I get a clear desire for real food. Since Iíve adapted this additional mind set I have not gained. Even when Iíve had a heavy week of making less than optimal food choices I am amazed when I do get on the scale to find Iím still in my window. Once I got myself just out of it and within a couple days of concentrating on making good choices and not over eating I was right back in. Itís really been quite stunning, to say the least.

I told my husband that this is as hard, if not harder than any diet because you need to learn a whole new mind set and listen to your body and not just follow rules.

What I havenít accomplished yet is losing any more. I have a little vacation coming up, and Iím so looking forward to not stressing over what I should and should not eat! When I get back I may try to do a couple weeks of just focusing on whole foods without the added restaurant/fast food fair and see if I can chip away a couple pounds and maintain those for a while.

All I can say is if you truly want to be free, keep trying. You learn a little more every time. And since this isnít a diet, you donít have to be off or on. Carry and use the concepts no matter what you do and pretty soon you might be able to give up the evil ďDĒ word for good.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #253
Pina
Senior LCF Member

Good to hear your slant on IE, Terri. All the best and enjoy the upcoming holiday.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:54 AM   #254
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/199/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Hi Terri. I too have been off the diet band wagon lately. I have never been good at following a plan. I am always aware of my eating, usually trying to say no to some things when appropriate, but not following an eat this not that type of plan. I just recently got away from eating breakfast by default. I never thought I would stop being a breakfast eater, as eggs are probably my favorite foods. There for a while, DH was making breakfast daily, around 9 or 10. Obviously he has stopped eating breakfast, and for whatever reason, I just don't think of making it myself, so I'm not eating it either. I'm not hungry, so I was just eating it because he made it and set it in front of me. I've been having a small snack around noon, but am going to pay more attention to my hunger from now on and see if I really need that snack. Coffee seems to carry me nowdays. The scale hasn't gone down. AM is the only time my eating has changed. I'm still eating mindlessly in the evenings, without hunger, but One Step at a Time.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:23 AM   #255
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Carol!
You bet, one step at a time means you're moving forward. Yay you! Those are the kind of changes that are more likely to stick for me.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:30 PM   #256
Pina
Senior LCF Member

Hi Terri and Carolsue,
I'm sure baby steps is the way to go. I'm taking mine today and will stop recording everything I eat (calories and macros) as well as making inroads on eating foods more akin to a Mediterranean style plan. It's what my doctor suggested a few years ago when I was concerned my eating habits were obsessive. I was always afraid eating so many carbs would hamper maintenance. I'll keep you posted how it's going and maybe others who are ready to quit will join in.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:27 PM   #257
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

I like it! A bunch of Quitters!
Old 05-19-2017, 10:04 AM   #258
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

So, Iíve been hanging at the top of my 2# window, happily doing IE. I even went on a short vacation and came back slightly lower. My hubby started looking at the Abs Diet and workout plan. The diet consists of mostly clean whole foods, which I tend to lean towards anyway. So, I said ďIíll join youĒ and started reading the womanís version and proceeded to eat and drink everything Iíd be giving up and quickly popped out of my window. So back to IE for me. But now how do get back in my window? Iíve dappled with all sorts and configurations of Intermittent Fasting and though the specific plans never really worked me (only because Iím fought them all the way ) and I didnít want to do a ďdietĒ, I decided to try a couple 500 calorie days during the week. However, I was going to keep with the IE principals of:

Eat whatever I want
Stop when Iíve had enough
Donít eat anything thatís not fabulous

This is how it went:
Tuesday 140.2 First 500 day
Wednesday 139.4 IE period
Thursday 139.2 Second 500 day
Friday 138.8 IE until next Tuesday

Iím back square in my window and stoked that I may have found my answer to losing doing IE. I would love to lose another 10#. The plan from here is to rinse and repeat, two days a week @ 500 calories of whatever I want in-between normal IE for a while.

To all the quitters out there!
Old 05-20-2017, 05:46 AM   #259
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Good for you Terri! Finding what works for you is what it's all about. For me, it always means trouble when I try to switch to something someone else is doing. I was doing well with 500 cal days EOD, but then it got to hard to stick to the 500 calories.

Right now I am working toward no snacking in between. I think my food plan is good and firmly planted in my mind. I rarely stray from healthy food, but I have a really hard time controlling what I pop into my mouth any time I see it, rather than only eating at mealtimes. All those extra bites add up. So for me, it's behavior modification for sure. Once I break that habit, if I'm not starting to show a loss, I will look more closely at how much I'm eating and work on that. One step at a time. Right now I'm aiming for 2 meals a day...a late breakfast/brunch and early dinner, 4 PM or so. If I find I'm hungry in the evening I will add a small healthy snack, but make sure I have at least 4 hours between eating. Food tastes so much better when I'm actually hungry. The grazing habit I've developed never seems to reach the hunger stage. I think I eat like that because I'm afraid I will get hungry and there won't be anything around to eat. I remember when I was still working I would eat breakfast every morning without fail because I knew that I couldn't make it until lunch otherwise. So I was eating to prevent hunger, even though not really hungry. Now that I'm retired, I'm fine with just coffee until I start to get hungry, somewhere between 10 and noon. So it's not so much what I eat, but when and how much.

Not only am I a quitter, my goal is to also be a loser! LOL

Dr Jason Fung
Old 05-22-2017, 12:06 PM   #260
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

You're doing great Carol (my friend the Loser ) Small steps towards a healthier lifestyle are changes that will stick for the long run! WTG!!
Old 05-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #261
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

I was a little bummed when I weighed in on Tuesday and found I was where I started last week. But to be fair I over ate Sunday and Monday. I really feel that I was doing it because I knew a 500 calorie day was coming. Yes, the definition of diet insanity. But having it all planned, I decided to go ahead with the 500 calorie day. If Iíd not lost interest and reverted back to IE mid-day, I would be telling you how well it worked because I was down .80. To be fair, DH was out of town, so I did a real IE day, since I didnít have to feed him. So, the moral of the story is, trust IE and it will get me through.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:35 AM   #262
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Terri! You are right to trust the IE. It seems to be working for you, albeit slowly. Slow is better than No. And also, down is better than up, unless we're talking bank accounts. LOL

My weight is the same, but my attitude is greatly improved. I am snacking much less. Having fewer snacks in the house helps. When I go to the store I'm not even tempted to buy, so I am the mercy of my DH and what he buys. My in-between has cut back and even evening snacking is almost non-existent, so I'm forming better eating habits. I'm staying relatively low carb. Yesterday I ate a doughnut. It's the first doughnut I've had in years! It was delicious. Everything I remembered it to be. But I was not tempted to have another and it did not set off a trigger. I feel no guilt at all. There is another one still sitting there and I'm not the least bit tempted. To me, this is IE at it's finest, and is the way a normal eater eats. Now to formulate a plan that starts weight loss in motion. It should be easier without the snacking.

Let's go Losers!!

Dr Jason Fung
Old 07-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #263
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Everyone

How goes the battle?

I had a little dance with the diet devil this month. My hubby wanted to try CAD/CALP. And as diets go, I think itís real reasonable. Two ultra-low carb meals and one balanced meal with carbs eaten within an hour. A few other assorted rules, but really not too many. I lost a good couple pounds in five days and was real excited about it. And then the diet monster emerged. One little tweak of the schedule and I was out of control. I kept trying to get back on the plan, eating what I was supposed to, regardless of hunger and you guessed it, I now weigh more than when I started. So, Iím back to IE. I plan to only eat when Iím hungry, stop when Iíve had enough and only eat what is wonderful. This usually accompanies ďmy formĒ on IF, because Iím not usually hungry in the morning, so I try to put as many hours between last and first meal as possible.

How is everyone else doing?
Old 07-16-2017, 09:57 PM   #264
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

I am getting much better at not eating until hungry. I'm still doing some unwanted snacking in the evening, but I'm working on that. I was up 2, but they were gone this morning. Buh Bye! Don't let the door hit ya.......

I'm re-reading Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It, Gary Taubes, and getting some good reinforcing information.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 07-17-2017, 09:54 AM   #265
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Carol

Sounds like you're making great progress WTG!

As of today, I lost the bump I got trying the CAD diet (not the diets fault). Iím just doing low carb IE. Think Iíll stick with that for a while and see how it goes. Now working on the birthday bump from last month.

Iím re-reading Dana Carpenterís ďHow I quit my low-fat diet and lost 40 poundsĒ. I have the Gary Taubes book. Maybe Iíll re-read that one next.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:15 PM   #266
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Dana's book was one of the first low carb books I read, after Atkins. I lost (or maybe gave away) my hard copy, and now I have it on Kindle. I have trouble with Taubes sometimes. I had Good Calories, Bad Calories out from the library and I renewed it as many time as I was allowed, but I just couldn't get into it for some reason. Something about it, I don't know. I read Why We Get Fat a while back and felt the same way about it, but I've read so much praise about it that I checked it out again, and now things are clicking more for me. I guess I just wasn't in the mode before.

Why is this so hard? You don't eat, you lose weight. It's not rocket science....or is it? LOL Why do I stick food in my mouth when I'm not hungry? What else is food for? And why?

And why don't my toes look as pretty as the ones in my avatar?

Dr Jason Fung
Old 07-18-2017, 07:44 AM   #267
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Here's what happened to me yesterday. We went to this restaurant that has a pretty good salad bar and my plan was to order that. When we got there I looked it over and some things didn't look too good. They change soups from day to day and none that they had appealed to me. The cottage cheese was so runny it looked like soup. It just turned me off. So I looked at the menu and spaghetti with meat sauce jumped out at me and I ordered it! I didn't need that! LOL First of all, I could make spaghetti for a family of 4 at home for $5. But this is what happens to me when my plans get screwed up. After I ate that I was thinking, "Why did I do that?" So today, I'm still not hungry. Really plan on staying as low carb as I can, and not getting near the scale. Pray for me.

Dr Jason Fung
Old 07-18-2017, 11:07 AM   #268
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Your toe musing made me laugh out loud

The true spirit of IE is to listen to your body and eat what your body wants. Just stop when youíve had ďenoughĒ. Maybe the salad bar didnít appeal and the spaghetti did because it needed something is the spaghetti. Lycopene maybe? Iíll admit that when I ate that way strictly I didnít lose much, but I didnít gain either. I think sometimes our bodies need time to stabilize as well. You did well, you listened to your body.

Yeah I have a hard time with Taubes too. He's brilliant and enlightening, but so dry and analytical. And although I appreciate he backs up what he says with data, sometimes my eyes roll back in my head when I'm wading through it.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:51 AM   #269
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, it was the pasta I wanted! LOL And the garlic toast!

So, my carb fest continued through yesterday. After a terrible blood sugar spike last night I am determined to get back on the straight and narrow. I am type 2 diabetic, so the carbs are about so much more than the weight problem. I think the problem is I don't have enough low carb foods in the house and I'm hitting up on DH's carbs. Time to go buy some steaks!

I am getting another Taubes book from the library today....The Case Against Sugar. I of all people know how bad sugar is, but I get to borrow these books for FREE, so if there's nothing new for me, it's no loss, other than my time to read it. And being retired, I've got nothing but time!

Dr Jason Fung
Old 07-19-2017, 08:08 AM   #270
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Just got on the scale and I'm up 4 from my carb indiscretions. So more than just the BS spike.

Dr Jason Fung