Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 02-24-2017, 07:06 AM   #391
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/202/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Marsha, I saved the recipe as it does sound delicious. Something that could be made for company. But I really doubt if DH would eat it. I would have to promise him something to get him to eat it. ha ha We tend to make deals here.

I am reading a book about a woman who ate her way to 703 lbs. Supposed to be a true story. She became mostly bedridden, lost her job, went on disability, no life at all. Then her sister bought her a computer and paid for internet service. She got so engrossed in the internet, where people couldn't judge her by her appearance, that she started to forget to eat and lost over 500 lbs. I am addicted to the internet and am on her for hours. But I can easily eat a meal or snack while I'm posting. LOL Not much keeps me from food. I think the moral of the story is if you find something you passionately enjoy, it will replace the draw that food has over you.

I have a former co-worker/friend whom I email with daily. She is and has always been skinny as a stick. Her bones around her neck and shoulders stick out so bad it's actually gross to see. We often discuss eating and weight. She has a completely different attitude toward eating and food than I do. So many times she's busy with her kids and just doesn't take the time to eat. It just doesn't enter her mind. If she does get hungry, she eats a couple bites of something and she's fine. I guess she is like your Mother, Marsha.

Kris, DH usually cooks breakfast for us. I just have scrambled eggs every day. If he has donuts or cakes to eat he does not cook, and then mostly I don't eat breakfast if he doesn't put it in front of me. Dinner is the highlight of his day. Every day he wants to know what we've having. If I tell him something, he might say No I don't want that. But if I ask him what he does want he says he doesn't care. But we have to have dinner every day, and it has to include potatoes. Sometimes I can just make him a huge plate of fried potatoes and he's happy. When I lived alone, I only ate when really hungry, and then never a meal. Just something small. And I weighed 130-135. I wish I never changed.

Threw away an old bra yesterday. The plastic (?) underwire snapped. I'll bet that bra was 20 years old. Really got my money's worth.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2017, 08:53 AM   #392
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaferk View Post

I didn't make it the 5 miles today, only 3.5. That took me exactly an hour and it was getting really chilly and windy fast so I headed home. I was going pretty slow, sometimes just walking. Still feel it was a good workout, but I also still weigh 140.
Here is some "tough love" Kris. You really need to get rid of this thinking. Don't go for a run, then get on the scale thinking you will see a lower number. I wish I could give you a link to this article but I can't, as it contain ads. Here is part of it, from Dr. Mercola.

By Dr. Mercola

So, you need to lose a few pounds. The question is how to go about it. If you're like most people, you probably think you need to get serious about hitting the gym more often. However, this idea may actually be the fatal flaw that keeps you from succeeding.

When it comes to losing weight — and keeping it off — it's crucial to understand that you cannot out-exercise your mouth. Your diet is far more important than exercise,1 although physical movement is the leverage agent that allows you to truly optimize your health and fitness.

Exercise has been proven to be as effective (or more) than many drug treatments for common health problems, including diabetes, heart disease and depression, just to name a few. So, exercise definitely plays a role in optimal health — it's just not the central key for weight loss.

You cannot keep eating a junk food diet and simply exercise your way into smaller pants. Additionally, when and how much you eat can also have a distinct influence. Eating less and paying attention to the timing of your meals can be particularly useful for kick starting your metabolism in the right direction.
Research Shatters Link Between Exercise and Weight Loss

According to Shawn Talbott, Ph.D., a nutritional biochemist and former director of the University of Utah Nutrition Clinic, more than 700 weight loss studies confirm that eating healthier produces greater weight loss results than exercise.2

"On average, people who dieted without exercising for 15 weeks lost 23 pounds; the exercisers lost only six over about 21 weeks. It's much easier to cut calories than to burn them off."
Old 02-24-2017, 10:15 AM   #393
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/166/145
WOE: NSNG/Fung fast
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
Marsha, I saved the recipe as it does sound delicious. Something that could be made for company. But I really doubt if DH would eat it. I would have to promise him something to get him to eat it. ha ha We tend to make deals here
Yeah, it's something I'd make for company, too, but I do tend to make it only for me because, yeah, my husband isn't much of a fan. It's hard to get him to eat chicken.

I do tend to not eat much when I'm engaged in "surfing", but I still eat. I certainly don't think of it as a weight loss technique! lol

Yeah, I do sorta wish I could be like your friend. However, I like enjoying the texture and taste of food. Mom was always normal weighted but never skinny. None of us were except as kids ... when I thought I was fat!!

Quote:
Threw away an old bra yesterday. The plastic (?) underwire snapped. I'll bet that bra was 20 years old. Really got my money's worth.
Now, old bras that just poke with the wire are fun to throw away. It's like getting rid of a torture device!

Yeah, the thing with spouses. So much easier when they're sympatico with eating. Such a struggle when they're not. My husband pretty much is but not with the fasting. He's on board as far as me, except if I get grouchy when the 16-hour mark approaches.

Restart: 2/16/2017 184
Low: 4/26/2017 166
Current: 5/3/2017 168
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:17 AM   #394
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: schaferk
Stats: 165/134/125
WOE: Atkins/protein Power
Start Date: 1975
Good Morning Friends! I woke up looking at a blanket of snow this morning and hearing the wind whip against the windows I knew our nice warm streak was ending and the nasty would be back but it still was depressing. I made the best of it while it was here tho I'll be going to the mall to trudge around the laps with the other old peeps later this morning.

PAC Thanks for the reminder - I do know food intake (or lack of it) is far more important than exercise as a weight loss tool. I will google Dr. Mercola. I love reading all I can that might help me. Right now I am so much more disciplined staying active than I am at controlling my eating. Would love to change that. I didn't do very well with the food intake yesterday either. Today's another day
21 Aug 2017 - 139
schaferk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:45 AM   #395
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Don't get me wrong Kris, the exercise is very important for health and I am jealous that you are so active and I am such a slug.

After a discussion with a friend, I googled Keto Cauliflower Grilled Cheese. I found 2 different recipes for it, one using flax meal and a couple using cheese to mix with the cauliflower to make the "bread." They looked really good, and I think I would like them, but it's a much longer process than grabbing 2 slices of bread and a hunk of cheese and frying it up in a pan. LOL I don't know if it would really taste like a grilled cheese, but I like the combination of cauliflower and cheese.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:18 AM   #396
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Don't get me wrong Kris, the exercise is very important for health and I am jealous that you are so active and I am such a slug.

After a discussion with a friend, I googled Keto Cauliflower Grilled Cheese. I found 2 different recipes for it, one using flax meal and a couple using cheese to mix with the cauliflower to make the "bread." They looked really good, and I think I would like them, but it's a much longer process than grabbing 2 slices of bread and a hunk of cheese and frying it up in a pan. LOL I don't know if it would really taste like a grilled cheese, but I like the combination of cauliflower and cheese.
I totes agree. I love that there are recipes out there and they do look good so I save them but I have yet to do any of them with cauliflower. But who knew cauliflower was so versatile?

Old 02-25-2017, 11:07 AM   #397
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Marsha, my friend who is skinny like a stick is one who just doesn't seem to be interested in food. She eats because she has to to stay alive. She doesn't even know how to cook. Since marriage, her husband has always worked afternoon shift Mon-Thurs, so she never had to learn to cook. She cooks for her 2 teens, but they just want things like grilled cheese, pasta, tacos. On weekends, her husband wants a hot cooked meal so they go out every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. She says she does enjoy her meals out, but doesn't eat all of it. We get into discussions about weight and eating, conversations started by me, and she just doesn't get it. She eats a banana for breakfast because her doctor told her her potassium was low. She said she forces it down. She eat a good lunch at work, but rarely anything else after work. I know there are people like her who just don't care that much about food, but I am not one of them. Our discussions get very interesting, though. Recently she noticed her pants were getting loose, but she doesn't have a scale. When she went to the doctor he told her she lost 15 lbs. Can you imagine not even realizing you lost 15 lbs???? She says it's because she used to go out and get McDonald's for lunch and now started taking her lunch. She never gained it back. It would take a whole lot more than that for me to lose 15 lbs. Everybody's different.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:54 AM   #398
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Marsha, my friend who is skinny like a stick is one who just doesn't seem to be interested in food. She eats because she has to to stay alive. She doesn't even know how to cook. Since marriage, her husband has always worked afternoon shift Mon-Thurs, so she never had to learn to cook. She cooks for her 2 teens, but they just want things like grilled cheese, pasta, tacos. On weekends, her husband wants a hot cooked meal so they go out every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. She says she does enjoy her meals out, but doesn't eat all of it. We get into discussions about weight and eating, conversations started by me, and she just doesn't get it. She eats a banana for breakfast because her doctor told her her potassium was low. She said she forces it down. She eat a good lunch at work, but rarely anything else after work. I know there are people like her who just don't care that much about food, but I am not one of them. Our discussions get very interesting, though. Recently she noticed her pants were getting loose, but she doesn't have a scale. When she went to the doctor he told her she lost 15 lbs. Can you imagine not even realizing you lost 15 lbs???? She says it's because she used to go out and get McDonald's for lunch and now started taking her lunch. She never gained it back. It would take a whole lot more than that for me to lose 15 lbs. Everybody's different.
Wow. All that completely gob smacks me. If I ate just a banana for breakfast, I would be climbing the walls with hunger by noon. I really do not for the life of me understand why doctors/scientists can't seem to find a succinct explanation for this. "Oh, just eat less, move more". "Eat more fruit but don't eat between meals". Well, I like fruit but it doesn't not satiate me and I know will only make me ravenous and unable to sustain ANY kind of willpower so I avoid fruit for the most part till berries are in season.

So, anecdotally, we know there are people like your friend and my mother who can eat a piece of fruit and feel some kind of satiation without any resulting blood sugar pings that will cause us to overeat later. Yet no one seems to want to acknowledge that this is a real phenomenon or to offer any solutions but we're subjected to the constant tacit accusation -- even within our own minds -- that we're just weak. But if you are feeling true blood sugar pinging hunger, it's really so hard to do ANYTHING else until we do so it's a disruption.

I have no idea what I'm eating calorically; but I know by volume, I ain't eating much. So society looking at me would consider me anywhere from 30-60 pounds overweight but I do not overeat. I can get full very quickly. Could never eat several fast food meals that you see people that are very morbidly obese eat. I am currently 60 pounds over my previous lowest adult weight. And even at that weight, I was not considered skinny and I was only sometimes in a size 6. Never smaller. I am not even considering 60 pounds as my goal because, my god, that is a LOT of weight. I would look like death warmed over, I think, and would age me by probably 10 years. So at this point, I don't want to torture myself into striving for a goal that I will never reach; but at the same time, I want to LOOK like someone who doesn't eat much, ya know?

Old 02-26-2017, 06:05 AM   #399
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Marsha the thing is with my friend, just the thought of having any food in the morning gags her. Just a cup of coffee or two. She is forcing that banana because the doctor told her to eat it. I told her to switch it to PM, but she brings it to work and eats it when she gets there, for whatever reason. I remember having to force eating things when I was 6 years old. I would never do it now. If I'm eating something, it's because I want it. She just never seems to get hungry, OR hunger doesn't bother her. I don't know. I know she said she is hungry by lunch time. The place where she works caters lunch for them often. They didn't do that when I worked there. ha ha

Thinking about her, I would have to say she naturally does Intermittent Fasting, OMAD. M-T she eats a good lunch at work, no breakfast other than that dang banana, and very seldom anything when she gets home. F-S-S her only meal is probably dinner out with her family. She is very busy running with two teens and probably rarely eats breakfast or lunch on weekends. She is the type who would think "I'm not going to eat lunch because we will be going out for dinner." They used to say that OMAD was bad for you, but now it's considered very healthy. Who knew?

At what I consider my perfect weight, 125-130 I was wearing a size 9 or 11. I never even came close to a 6, but I didn't look fat IMO. I feel I looked normal. I would look terrible at that weight now. If I lose weight, I will know when I'm where I want to be. No real goal in mind.

I used to be a binge eater. I could go out for pizza with one friend, leave there, and meet another friend for a steak dinner. I could eat until I was so stuffed and uncomfortable I wanted to vomit, but would do it again the next day. It had nothing to do with hunger. But I controlled my weight by fasting for several days in between these binge days. After I got married, I continued to binge without the fast days in between, and gained 80 lbs. My husband wouldn't let me fast. He said "You have to eat." He didn't understand I had had enough to eat in two days to last me a week. So I guess I would say I have an eating disorder.

I can eat fruit, but it would be my last choice of what to eat. I eat 1/2 of an orange every day, but that's only because DH peels it and divides it in half and we split it. It tastes good, but I would not buy more oranges if we ran out. DH buys them. I can eat cooked vegetables until the cows come home. I do eat some type of meat/protein every day.

I am fascinated with people's different eating habits. I think we are just meant to eat when our bodies need fuel. People seem to be obsessed with controlling what, when, and how much they are eating. When did it start to be like this?

It's snowing here, and accumulating on the deck, at least. I didn't hear a prediction for this. Two days ago we were running around with no jacket, and some were wearing shorts and sandals. We have to go to my son's to watch my grandson, so I hope it stops.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:54 AM   #400
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

I guess I'll stop wishing I could be like your friend because I never will be. OMAD just works for me. I haven't been a breakfast eater anyway since maybe high school except weekends and vacays. The problem for me ... and probably everyone ... is when you try and follow a plan that is not at all conducive to YOUR life or palate, etc. that THEY tell you you MUST do or you're doing it wrong and then you beat yourself up for being weak and wrong because 3 meals a day is the only way ... or 6 small meals ... or breakfast is the most important meal of the day... instead of just trying to take what you know and fit it to make it more natural for you. Which is what IF along with eating LC does for me. Now I see that to do it the other way is ass backwards.

I've never binged. I always had a wall (though I'd def. overeat sweets and chips and crackers) and eat at night and just basically be mindless about it.

This morning was a 3-egg omelet with fresh crab meat, bacon, and a couple fresh strawberries and iced coffee with half n half (no Splenda). So happy when I can get fresh crab meat less than $16/lb. Tonight will be fresh tuna which really fills me up. And I have some cauliflower I need to grate and I just got a spiralizer so I need to try and make my first zoodles. Then we'll see what my stomach does and hopefully be able to fast until Monday night.

Last edited by Madmarsha; 02-26-2017 at 07:55 AM..
Old 02-26-2017, 06:36 PM   #401
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Marsha, your menu sounds delicious and healthy. I'm not into crab, but the fresh tuna sounds great!
Old 02-27-2017, 10:34 AM   #402
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning ladies! GB where are you?? I just finished a (shorter) walk/run. Only 2.5 miles cause I have a blister/hole at the back of my heel where the shoe hits. It was from shoes I'd worn for 2 years so don't get it?? But anyhow, it will cause a big prob if I don't let it heal which will take a while. I'm going to try taping it better and (a LOT of tape) and try it again tomorrow. Still the same weight for me, no loss. I know I'm eating too much even tho I'm tryin to 'watch it'. Seems like pants are fitting a little looser but not sure. Wish I could be like your friend too PAC not worried about food. DH, I, and all of our group thinks about food a lot and where the next meal is going to be But like Marsha says, that will never be me. All the wishing will never make it so Three weeks from this minute & I'll be on the plane for Jamaica!! Pretty excited about that!! My goal is still to lose as close to 10 as possible, but as every day passes more of my time runs out.
21 Aug 2017 - 139
Old 02-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #403
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Good morning ladies! GB where are you?? I just finished a (shorter) walk/run. Only 2.5 miles cause I have a blister/hole at the back of my heel where the shoe hits. It was from shoes I'd worn for 2 years so don't get it?? But anyhow, it will cause a big prob if I don't let it heal which will take a while. I'm going to try taping it better and (a LOT of tape) and try it again tomorrow. Still the same weight for me, no loss. I know I'm eating too much even tho I'm tryin to 'watch it'. Seems like pants are fitting a little looser but not sure. Wish I could be like your friend too PAC not worried about food. DH, I, and all of our group thinks about food a lot and where the next meal is going to be But like Marsha says, that will never be me. All the wishing will never make it so Three weeks from this minute & I'll be on the plane for Jamaica!! Pretty excited about that!! My goal is still to lose as close to 10 as possible, but as every day passes more of my time runs out.
Was just looking at pictures some friends posted on Facebook from Jamaica and some from Mexico. JEALOUS!!!

How are your socks, Kris? Best advice I ever got was stop wearing cotton socks. So now I only get socks that have NO cotton in them and no more blisters!

Old 02-27-2017, 06:29 PM   #404
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

I assume that my socks are some kind of cotton poly blend Marsha but not sure? I don't have the packages anymore but I'm going to look up the brands and check it out. So annoying when a little thing like that causes such a hick-up. I can't run or walk or do anything requiring athletic shoes or any shoes really, gotta get it healed up before any vacations and for sure before the half marathon. This morning the band-aid just came off and the hole got worse. But now I have it all taped up all around so there's no way its coming off!
21 Aug 2017 - 139
Old 03-01-2017, 05:04 AM   #405
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning. Well, I am excited. This fasting thing has worked. AND I just discovered that I have The Obesity Code on my Kindle. I had completely forgotten someone gifted me and I never read it. And as I jump into this, this is the perfect book to read!

As of right now, I am approximately 12 hours in. I have several motivations this morning as I endeavor to go a true 24 hours for the first time. First, it's the first day of Lent. We never practiced fasting in our house so this is my very first time to experience the spiritual effects/benefits of the Lenten fast.

Second, after last night's meal, I did not this time experience that dreadful peristalsis. As I have been feeling my body digest my food these last couple days, it's been horrible. It's made me feel hungrier and given me acid reflux and made it hard to even make it 16 hours. So if I can finally make it 24 plus, I will finally know how I feel and if I can make it 48 or if I should keep doing the intermittent fasting.

And, third, I woke up this morning with a 2 pound wooosh! So that's 5 pounds and a solid indication I've finally jump started. No sign yet in my clothes but a step in the right direction.

Last edited by Madmarsha; 03-01-2017 at 05:12 AM..
Old 03-01-2017, 05:45 AM   #406
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Congrats Marsha! So glad to hear your news!! (As you guys know) I totally love fasting and the way it makes me feel. And of course, the added bonus of the "wooosh". I just hate to always boast about it because it's not for everyone, and it is hard for sure. Also, I talk big but have not been very good at my 'fasting' lately. Marsha I hope you continue to get good results and enjoy the feeling. I know I love it and it works for me but I've just been lazy lately and not done it this time around. I'm ready tho. Hopefully I can just on the wagon with you and get a good fast behind me for the motivation
21 Aug 2017 - 139
Old 03-01-2017, 06:14 AM   #407
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Kris. I've not landed on fasting as a "last resort" exactly, but it's true I'd never tried it before. Not purposely. But 3 meals a day doesn't really work for me so, in essence, I was frequently going 12-16 hours anyway. But now that I've given it more structure, there's definitely a difference.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:01 AM   #408
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

I am down a lb today, but I was above my stats, so know I'm right with my stats. My blood sugar is greatly improved also. I have eaten carbs, but I guess I ate smaller portions and had protein with it so it didn't spike me as much as usual. I don't want to get into that habit though. Still stay relatively low carb. My blood sugar was low enough that I didn't need my med, and I think that's why weight is down. The one med is known to cause weight gain. It doesn't make sense that a diabetes med would cause weight gain, when weight is part of the problem with type 2 diabetes.

On another thread, I'm committed to getting back in Onederland by April 3. Not far to go, but the struggle is still the same.

Kris, I tend to feel good when fasting too, but still don't do much of it. It's because I tend to eat when DH eats.

Have you ever bought sox that say the are "wicking?" Maybe that will help. I bought some that said "wicking" but now they got mixed up with my other sox and I don't know which ones they are. I do not have a problem with blisters, and I do not do the amount of walking/running you do.

Maybe you should google blisters and see what it says to do about them. Also, maybe get more shoes and don't wear the same ones two days in a row. I have heard that before.

Marsha, I had to google peristalsis. Never knew what it was called. I get it sometimes, but it doesn't bother me. I tend to feel it more after my last surgery. My ab muscles are all screwed up and I have bulging in my abdominal wall. I can hear sloshing really loud sometimes. It's weird.

Praying that GB is doing well.

Last edited by PACarolsue; 03-01-2017 at 11:05 AM..
PACarolsue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:06 PM   #409
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Forgive me if I go on as if I've personally discovered the concept of fasting. I just never even seriously considered doing it before so I never really thought about it. I was thinking about what I did to put back on 20 pounds and how am I going to prevent that from happening. I guess it means that I am going to have to make fasting a regular thing.
Part of the problem was I stopped losing and never reached goal. It took me a LONG time to get back into this weight loss mode. I had gotten lax on so much without going completely off the rails. So why do we backslide? I know I just get sick of thinking about it and it never became mindless to me. Have to find that happy medium.

It's funny, I've always kept my workout stuff, including socks, separate. Just makes it easier for me to make sure it's the moisture wicking stuff.

Last edited by Madmarsha; 03-01-2017 at 12:09 PM..
Old 03-02-2017, 07:44 AM   #410
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Marsha, you are doing 16:8, right? Not long term fasting? Would you ever consider long term? This one guy on the Fung thread has done it for days and days at a time with great success. I just can't imagine that, although I was forced to do it in the hospital after surgery. I had no choice. I was in a double room, and had to see my roommate's food come in at every meal. Also, they brought me breakfast one day by mistake and I had to tell them I was not allowed and have them take it away. Broke my heart. LOL I am such a foodie.

I am down another 1/2 lbs today even though yesterday was a higher carb day than usual for me. Blood sugar was up, though.

I have trouble accepting the difference between very low calorie eating and long term fasting, more than 24 hours. One is bad for you and the other is good. It's better not to eat anything, than to eat low calorie. My friend lost 30 lbs doing very low calorie but she says now it is a way of life for her. I'm patiently waiting to see if she regains this. She has regained in the past, but she has lasted close to a year with it this time.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:12 AM   #411
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Another 1/2 pound PAC! Great job! No loss for me, I'm falling behind you guys. But I'm not eating bad really, trying new things. I'm eating 'good' food but too many fruits & veggs so too many carbs.

I've been trying to re-read the fasting rules but it's confusing me. One of the studies on 5:2 (and the diet Jimmy Kimmel followed to lose significantly) said that the "fasting days" are not total liquid fasting - instead you eat really light like 400/500 calories. I do that anyway and I'm not losing right now??? I always have a couple of days per week that I eat very light (to offset things). But when I fast, I usually go a whole 24 hrs with only water/coffee. So what do you guys think - what's the best way to fast?? I'm finding conflicting info. I know that skipping the dinner meal (eating in an 6 to 8 hour window) seems to work somewhat but the days I do that are only about 400 cals too. So I wonder what is working, if anything??

VERY cold and windy here so I just rode the recumbent stationary bike. Not much fun but ok.
21 Aug 2017 - 139
Old 03-02-2017, 08:53 AM   #412
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Marsha, you are doing 16:8, right? ....
I have trouble accepting the difference between very low calorie eating and long term fasting, more than 24 hours. One is bad for you and the other is good. It's better not to eat anything, than to eat low calorie. My friend lost 30 lbs doing very low calorie but she says now it is a way of life for her. I'm patiently waiting to see if she regains this. She has regained in the past, but she has lasted close to a year with it this time.
Yes, HOWEVER it is Lent so in that spirit, I did a 24 hour thing and I haven't eaten yet today. So right now, in the last 40 hours, the only thing I've had is a few bites of some crabmeat I had in the fridge and a little ham and cheese rollup along with water and some decaf iced coffee.

I guess that's why things are so confusing but also why I need to know the WHYS. I'm not one of those people who just want to be told what and how to eat, but not WHY. Very low calorie is still eating and therefore raising and lowering insulin. How I feel now, it's very hard for me imagine going for days. HOWEVER, that's probably exactly why I need to do it, to break the insulin response making me hungry. "Eat when hungry" sounds so simplistic but it's not.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:56 AM   #413
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Another 1/2 pound PAC! Great job! No loss for me, I'm falling behind you guys. But I'm not eating bad really, trying new things. I'm eating 'good' food but too many fruits & veggs so too many carbs.

I've been trying to re-read the fasting rules but it's confusing me. One of the studies on 5:2 (and the diet Jimmy Kimmel followed to lose significantly) said that the "fasting days" are not total liquid fasting - instead you eat really light like 400/500 calories. I do that anyway and I'm not losing right now??? I always have a couple of days per week that I eat very light (to offset things). But when I fast, I usually go a whole 24 hrs with only water/coffee. So what do you guys think - what's the best way to fast?? I'm finding conflicting info. I know that skipping the dinner meal (eating in an 6 to 8 hour window) seems to work somewhat but the days I do that are only about 400 cals too. So I wonder what is working, if anything??
Kris, this is what I'm trying to figure out. I could easily do 16/8 every day but the 24 hour is kicking my ass. I don't feel shaky or anything but I can't say that food is off my mind. Food is very much ON my mind. So I'm not eating but still thinking about it and that's driving me crazy.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:06 AM   #414
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

I agree with you. I probably could do fasting if I was alone, but DH always wants me to eat with him. He says I can't go without eating because I will get sick, but he knows that's not true. He just doesn't want to eat alone, or wants to go to a restaurant. I do like the feeling of fasting, once my stomach gets over the shock that it's not going to get any food.

Fasting long term, is supposed to "cure" type 2 diabetes. From what I've always heard, it can be controlled with diet, but never cured, because high blood sugar causes damage to the body that is permanent. I know that fasting resets the insulin response in a non-diabetic, but don't understand how it can repair damage to the cells of the pancreas when they are said to be permanently damaged. That will have to be proven to me by more than just Dr Fung's word for it. To me, if you "cure" your diabetes, you can once again eat high carb foods without a spike in blood sugar. Anybody can stay on a VLC diet and say they are cured, but they are just controlling it with diet. One slice of pizza or piece of cake, plate of pasta, and your blood sugar spikes again. I would have to experience it with my own body to believe it, and since I will probably never fast to that point, I will probably never be cured.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:13 AM   #415
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Kris, I think you have to find the type of fasting that works for you. We are all biologically different, and can handle different ways of eating. EOD JUDDD or 5:2 work for some. Some prefer to do all day fasting with nothing at all. Sometimes it's easier to eat nothing than to eat 500 cals and stop.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:58 AM   #416
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Another woosh. Knew it was coming. So glad I can "read" my body again. Now I need to feel it in my clothes but I'm not yet. Makes you wonder where it's coming from. Probably my boobs. lol Well, I wouldn't mind if it came from the underarm area (hate that bulge over the sides of the bra) but I want it to come off my belly. Forgot to check this morning, but my breath is atrocious and I am constantly brushing my teeth so I suspect I'm in DEEP ketosis.

I broke my yesterday but I didn't eat much and not much for dinner. I am sort of afraid of the "digestion" feeling I was getting, so I'm not sure how I'm going to proceed. I want to get a consistent routine with IF, but I also want to listen to my body. So if I feel like eating, I'll eat just enough till I feel better and then go on. And I need to make some good bone broth. Also someone suggested a bit of himalayan salt in water and drink that when you're feeling wonky on a fast.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:08 AM   #417
schaferk
Major LCF Poster!

Great news Marsha!! Fasting is the bomb isn't it.

I had to re-read some stuff and get back into the groove. Finally made it thru a 24 hour fast. It had been quit a while since I was able to pull it off. I feel good; think I'm down a little bit but have not weighed yet. I'm still not sure which type of fasting I want to stick with - the information is conflicting and confusing to me. I'll be having a big salad bar later today but will avoid the carbs. Won't get to run outside, it's only about 13 degrees here but I'll walk around the mall again. SO boring.

GB where are you? Are you doing OK?
21 Aug 2017 - 139
Old 03-03-2017, 06:05 AM   #418
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Great news Marsha!! Fasting is the bomb isn't it.

I had to re-read some stuff and get back into the groove. Finally made it thru a 24 hour fast. It had been quit a while since I was able to pull it off. I feel good; think I'm down a little bit but have not weighed yet. I'm still not sure which type of fasting I want to stick with - the information is conflicting and confusing to me. I'll be having a big salad bar later today but will avoid the carbs
I'm hoping to go to MY salad bar place today, too, but not sure if it will work out. IOW, I will continue to fast IF I can. I agree it's conflicting and confusing. I don't want to mess up the process of resetting my insulin response which is what I'm trying to do .

Old 03-03-2017, 08:44 AM   #419
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

It's snowing pretty good here right now. I really don't need this right now. DH was consideringgoing to to the ER overnight with this cold, or flu or whatever it is he has. I don't want to be doing it on snowy roads. Where is the sun when I really need it?

Both of you are doing well with the fasting! I am doing better, but still struggling. Right now DH has a really bad cold/flu thing going on and isn't eating much, so I'm hoping to take advantage of this and do some longer fasting. It's 11:30 and I don't actually feel hungry yet. It seems that this is the time when I usually have my first food of the day, and it's usually eggs. I love eggs, and feel that they are so low carb so I am OK eating them, and that's usually the case. They don't raise my BS, but it's still food being eaten. I want to feel a little bit of the stomach growling which makes me feel that I'm losing weight. I have heard that a salty broth is good to curb hunger during a fast. I just use bullion cubes. It's hard for me to eat a small amount of food. It just makes me want more. It's easier for me to not eat at all than to stick with 400-500 cals per day.

Marsha, it seems that you have encouraged Kris and I to work a little harder toward our goals. We're so happy to have you here!

But we miss GB. And Seabreezes. And the others who have popped in from time to time. All lurkers are welcome!!

Last edited by PACarolsue; 03-03-2017 at 08:47 AM..
PACarolsue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:11 PM   #420
Madmarsha
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It's snowing pretty good here right now. I really don't need this right now. DH was consideringgoing to to the ER overnight with this cold, or flu or whatever it is he has. I don't want to be doing it on snowy roads. Where is the sun when I really need it?

Both of you are doing well with the fasting! I am doing better, but still struggling. Right now DH has a really bad cold/flu thing going on and isn't eating much, so I'm hoping to take advantage of this and do some longer fasting. It's 11:30 and I don't actually feel hungry yet. It seems that this is the time when I usually have my first food of the day, and it's usually eggs. I love eggs, and feel that they are so low carb so I am OK eating them, and that's usually the case. They don't raise my BS, but it's still food being eaten. I want to feel a little bit of the stomach growling which makes me feel that I'm losing weight. I have heard that a salty broth is good to curb hunger during a fast. I just use bullion cubes. It's hard for me to eat a small amount of food. It just makes me want more. It's easier for me to not eat at all than to stick with 400-500 cals per day.

Marsha, it seems that you have encouraged Kris and I to work a little harder toward our goals. We're so happy to have you here!
Snowing? SNOWING? Wow. That ain't right. lol

I dunno, I like when I get this determined and focused. I did end up eating lunch because I had a credit that was going to expire soon, so my salad cost me .82! I will eat supper, too, and then see what I can do for this weekend. Weekends are hard for me to fast, though. The stomach growling makes me think, too, how hard my body is working and expending energy digesting my food; but when it got to be SO loud, it was disconcerting. Haven't had that the last 2 days, though, so hopefully I'm through that.