Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 06-18-2017, 02:31 PM   #61
BDParrish
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BDParrish
Stats: 192.5/153.5/original goal was 165
WOE: CAD/CALP Rachael Heller
Start Date: January 14, 2017
Hi Terri!

My thought for your husband is CAD. It will work beautifully for him and he will be able to stick with it. CAD refers to the ideas people have about the first book and the way Dr. Rachael Heller lost over a hundred pounds. She stumbled into it accidently at first and then as a scientist, began research about why it was happening.

CAD means Carbohydrate Addict's Diet and refers to the approach people take from the first book. CALP means Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Plan and refers to the different approach people take when reading the second book. The word "diet" was changed because people thought they knew what she meant by that word. As a scientist, she simply used it to mean any way of eating, which is the medical definition.

There is a 20 question test which must be taken from the book. Questions are weighted, some more than others. I tested "mild". For some people this diet will not work, and the test will tell you.

In practical terms, CAD differs from CALP at the reward meal which for CALP is much more controlled as to portion size and the order in which you eat the food. You eat the carbs last and the portion is only 1/3 of the plate.

Some persons are so extremely sensitive to carbs that even this does not work.
BDParrish is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2017, 09:05 AM   #62
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 2017 - 142.8/137.7/128.2
Thanks for your input BD & Janie. We decided to go with CAD. I ordered the book and it should be here this weekend. It sounds like the best fit for him and I'm starting to get the bug as well

I have to admit BD, I used your story to inspire the hubby
Old 06-24-2017, 01:22 PM   #63
BDParrish
Junior LCF Member

Difference Between CAD and CALP?

Well, yes and no.

No! There is certainly a change in terminology between the two books, but an argument can be made that all the principles of the diet are in both books. The reward meal was never an hour long carbohydrate binge though people took it that way. There are people on this diet who have never read either book assuming that this is a typical low-carb diet which they think they know all about. The no carb meals were called "complementary meals" at first and now "craving-reducing meals."

Yes! The first book suggests five eating plans A - E which vary in severity. Each week you look at your average weight loss and then decide whether to continue that plan or move to one of a different degree. I do not know anyone who actually does this. Anyone on the forum?

The second book lays out the basic plan and then suggests add-on options such as an exercise option or a Chromium GTF option. When I first came to the Hangout, I expected to find on this forum much more discussion of these options than there is.

Sum-Up: If you can lose weight the simple way Rachael Heller did at first then call it CAD. If you, however, have been on low-carb diets before, off and on, then you are not going to see the dramatic results I did. You must use the extra care, the dedicated thought of CALP. For most on the forum it's just called CAD/CALP and it is assumed there is no difference.

Anyone having difficulty with the diet must read the Heller's 2004 Book, The 7 Day Low-Carb Rescue and Recovery Plan.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:19 AM   #64
BDParrish
Junior LCF Member

Pepsi One

Remember Pepsi-One? I loved it and my daughter and I even wrote a sonnet in praise of it, 14 lines of iambic pentameter. Drank it all the time and had no idea what it was doing to me. I would joke about getting cancer, “This is my retirement program!” (NOT funny, I know.)

How did I get the idea that a diet soda would have anything to do with my weight? It caused weight gain! Any kind of artificial sweetener works just like sugar to me, causing a full insulin release.

Now? I drink instead Perrier sparkling mineral water which I buy in bulk at Sam’s Club.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:25 AM   #65
BDParrish
Junior LCF Member

Too Skinny?

Wifey told me I was too skinny and she didn't want me to lose any more weight. I told her, "Honey, I know how to stay on the lifestyle and be at whatever my body is gonna wanna be, or I can go off it and balloon back up. I don't know how to do what you're asking." Why is she even saying this?

It is frustrating for her that I can lose so much more easily than she. Also, neither one of us sees skinniness as attractive, especially after many years of being overweight. Mostly though, I worry that my shoulders look bony and that makes her think of years ago when I got very sick and got too skinny. So I am working out especially my shoulders and triceps in the weight room.
(Re-posted from "men's issues" thread.)
Old 06-29-2017, 07:00 AM   #66
BDParrish
Junior LCF Member

Counting Calories?

Seems logical on the surface, that if you do not put the weight in your mouth, then it won’t be on your hips, right? But reality is what you eat and how you eat changes your body’s response to food. To understand more, do an internet search: “eat less, move more, gain weight.”

Now? My appetite normalized in about a week on CAD/CALP. No counting calories, instead as I am eating my reward meal, by the time I get half way to the carbs, I feel absolutely stuffed.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:06 AM   #67
BDParrish
Junior LCF Member

Change One

I remember when I got this book, Change One, which suggested a very slow and gradual lifestyle change to lose weight and keep it off by changing one thing only each week. The first chapter’s first change was to start eating breakfast. So I started with a bowl of cereal, Honey Bunches of Oats, every day. I gained weight because I was stimulating another huge insulin dump. It does not matter what kind of cereal it was. I never did any of the other "changes."

Now? I will have two strips of bacon and a fried egg or two, and sometimes no breakfast, because I just do not get hungry. I haven’t been “hungry” since January 14th.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:27 AM   #68
amadeus4313
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amadeus4313
Stats: 244/218/144 74 more to go
WOE: One Day At A Time
I am back after a very long absence. I owned the very first book the Hellers wrote. My morning routine has been a cup of coffee with 2 T of sugar free creamer. How hard was it for most of you to give up diet pop and other artificial sweeteners?
amadeus4313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:36 PM   #69
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

WOW!

We’ve been reading through the “cheat sheet” info on the thread. The CAD book came Sunday. We quickly read through the diet portion. The hubs hit the road with cheat sheet in hand and I went to work in town. I did more the CAD version (learned that pot pies are not a good reward meal ). The hubs did more the CALP version as best he could on the road. I started at 141 with a goal of 125, with a background of years of low carbing, but more carbs doing IE for the last six months. Hubs has dabbled here and there with low carb and other plans, but not really a dieter. He started at almost 196 with a goal of 165. After five days I was down 2.2# and he was down almost five. What!?!?!?!?! Did I mention that he had a beer or two and I had a glass of wine or two during our reward meal hour? So we are excited about this way of eating for sure. Onward to week two!
Old 07-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #70
jeaniem
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 170/129.8/125-130 5'1
WOE: lc
Terri
I just started this 4 days ago! I am kinda loose with the RM but it is the only carbs I eat during the day. I have only lost a pound or two but a half inch off waist and lower belly.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=883453

Last edited by jeaniem; 07-02-2017 at 03:31 PM..
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:56 PM   #71
BDParrish
Junior LCF Member

Hi Terri!

Just to clarify, you said you were down after five days. Actually it takes a week to establish your beginning weight. Weigh yourself every day. Average those measurements after the first week to establish your beginning weight. One week later, take your second average and be happy if you have lost one pound. If you have not lost anything in your average weight then follow the clear instructions about how to handle that in the book. Your weight being up or down on any given day means nothing.

Having read all the previous years' CAD/CALP threads, I have noted that those who fail on this diet are usually experienced dieters who think they know what it is all about, though they betray that they do not really understand. The "rules" are exactly the necessary ones to bring about the change in your body's response to food and to free you from the hyper-insulinemia and insulin resistance trap. I assure you, you will remain in it or will certainly return to it if you think that one of the "rules" can be broken. In CALP the "options" are clearly listed as optional, but the basic plan is not.

Anyway all love to you and your Hubby as you learn this new way to live!
Old 07-05-2017, 08:05 AM   #72
BDParrish
Junior LCF Member

Hi. My name is.. and I'm a carb addict.

I have never liked the term “carb addict.” It seems like hyperbole. I fear to seem disrespectful to those with deserate addictions, such as the alcoholics and drug addicts that I work with at the Rescue Mission. But there is a principle of addiction that does apply to carbohydrate addiction. (I don't have a better term either!)

Just as an alcoholic cannot “cheat” and have a small drink every now and then, there is no “cheating” on this diet. The rules are exactly what they need to be to reprogram the pancreas to stop the over release of insulin, and to allow the insulin receptors to reopen controlling hyperinsulemia. It is not fair that some people can eat carbs and you cannot, but some people can wallow in poison ivy too!

Just as an alcoholic will never say that he is cured, so you must not think that now that you have lost weight, even ten pounds more than your goal, now you can relax the rules. This is hard to grasp for those who have a history of dieting.

If you are even tempted to “cheat,” look for and eliminate hidden carbs in your craving reducing meals. Read the book!

“For 23 hours every day, carbohydrates are poisonous to me.”

“I am extremely allergic to carbohydrates 23 hours every day.”

“Hi, my name is Brian, and I am a carbohydrate addict.” No I probably would not say this, because of what I know about alcoholism, and I cannot equate carb addicts with drug addicts and Alcoholics Anonymous. But I can learn from them and be inspired by their strength and discipline and apply their wisdom to my problems.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:03 PM   #73
TerriMM
Blabbermouth!!!

Hey Jeanie Good to see you!

Thanks for all your words of wisdom Brian!

Wednesday was our company potluck so I decided to swap my reward meal for lunch. Ended up being almost a week of one complementary meal and two reward meals. Back to the drawing board
Old 07-11-2017, 12:51 PM   #74
BDParrish
Junior LCF Member

“You Have to Stop! You are Losing Too Much Weight.”

I had pulled up my shirt tails to cinch my belt to a tighter notch and my friends in the room talked like I was crazy to “still be on this diet.” My wife did not join in, because she really is supportive and understands that I really have no control over my results. I got started with this WOE because I was fascinated by the science behind it, not because I wanted to “lose weight.” I have lost 39 pounds and when people find out they usually say, “I did not think you needed to lose any weight.”

Not sure what they mean by that. Well, in my family, we carry it all around the hips and thighs which doesn’t show as much as if it were all around the belly. I sure don’t miss it being gone! When I went backpacking at the Linville Gorge, my total loaded weight with water and food was 10 pounds lighter than my body weight alone back in January. It was great to feel so strong on the trails.

I am trying to eat more at all my meals. I still do not get hungry, certainly not in the old sense of the word. I am assuming that my body will find where it wants to be and that will be that. I do not think of myself as in “maintenance.” I am continuing to eat the way the Drs. Heller taught me, and I do not see any reason to stop.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:37 PM   #75
BDParrish
Junior LCF Member

"One Meal a Day?!"

"That sounds difficult to me," said Jack when he heard that many people on the CAD/CALP were successful on one big meal a day. I don't do it myself, but I am sure it would not be a problem. That is how Rachael Heller lost 150 pounds. One of my fine employees does it now and has every day for many years and she has no intention to change. She used to be very large and lost it all with no awareness of this or any other diet.

"Sounds difficult you say?" I replied, "That is the cravings talking!" When you are finally free of the cravings, then you can skip meals anytime and still never feel deprived. Your body energy comes from stored fat reserves all day long, and the meal is to replenish those reserves whenever you eat it.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:06 PM   #76
pianowrite
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pianowrite
Stats: Goal: 130
WOE: CAD
Thank you for your comments, BDParrish! I find them very helpful!
pianowrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:23 AM   #77
BDParrish
Junior LCF Member

Carb Addict Quick Quiz

Answer “yes” or “no” to the each of following questions.
Keep count of your “yes” answers.

1. After a full breakfast, do you get hungry before it's time for lunch?

2. Do you have a difficult time stopping, once you start to eat starches, snack foods,
junk food, or sweets?

3. Do you sometimes feel unsatisfied even though you have just finished a meal?

4. Does the sight, smell, or even the thought of food, sometimes stimulate you to eat?

5. Do you sometimes eat even though you are not really hungry?

6. Are you sometimes unable to keep from snacking at night?

7. After a large meal, do you feel very sluggish, almost drugged?

8. Do you get unexplainably tired and/or hungry in the afternoon?

9. Have you at times continued eating even though you felt uncomfortably full?

10. Have you been on diet after diet, only to lose weight then regain it again?

SCORING:
Count your “yes” answers to the questions above.
0 - 2
You do not appear to be addicted to carbs.
3 - 4
You appear to have a mild carb addiction which, at times,
you may be able to control (although not at all times) and with some difficulty.
5 - 7
Your score indicates that you are moderately addicted to carbs. At times you may be
able to control your eating but you may find that stress, premenstrual changes,
tiredness, boredom, unexpressed anger or pressure may increase your carb cravings.
8 - 10
You have scored in the severe carbohydrate addiction range.
You may be struggling to control your eating without realizing that your body has
been fighting you, driving you to eat and then storing the excess food energy as fat.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:16 PM   #78
BDParrish
Junior LCF Member

Eating Out? "Not a Problem!"

Jake's Wayback Burgers for a CM?! Jake's has been in downtown Morganton, North Carolina for 27 years I guess. Great locally-owned place run by salt-of-the-earth people. Famous for the "triple triple triple dare," it is a burger with NINE patties and if you can eat it the t-shirt is free. (No thank you.)

At the order line Kate and I said, "We want to do this with no carbs, OK?" "Not a problem. So, hold the bun right?" he said. "Light mayo right?" "No," sez I, "How about real mayo because light mayonnaise sometimes has sugar in it." "No fries, No drink," he says. Just watching the grill man I knew this was gonna be good. With the skill level of a concert pianist, he loved his grill and it loved us all back.

Her burger came wrapped in Romaine lettuce leaves with cheese and tomato. She got a container of mayo on the side, everything fresh, everything natural. "It was delicious and completely satisfying." sez she. I had the same but added unsweetened tea and the side salad. I had to pull some of the tomato out of it, (you all know about tomato on this diet, right?), and I pulled the croutons out of it, but otherwise these people completely understood and we got out of there for 12 dollars. (Also enjoyed the oldies pop music.)
Old 07-20-2017, 11:20 AM   #79
BDParrish
Junior LCF Member

"Went Ahead and Ate Something..."

Katie was driving to Baltimore to get her apartment deposit back, and she called her friend to say she was still on the road and she would be late. "That's OK," friend said, "I went ahead and ate something cause I though you might be late."

Kate and I both laughed with delight as she told the story, not at her friend for having to do that, we both remember what that feeling is, but at the deeply satisfying realization that on the Carbohydrate Addicts' Diet we don't ever feel the need to do that again!

The cravings are GONE!!
Old 07-25-2017, 08:46 AM   #80
BDParrish
Junior LCF Member

Is This Scale Right?

My whole family, all five of us, are on CAD/CALP now. I was first and had such remarkable and surprising results that everyone is saying, "What are you doing!?" Well if the "hormonal balance hypothesis" is correct (it is!) then the CAD thing should work well within families (it does!) and shorenuff they all also are getting really astonishing results including my wife.

Wifey tested as a moderate carb addict. Her results are perhaps the slowest of any of us, but yesterday she asked me if our scale is all right.

"Why do you ask? It's fine I think," sez I.
"Well it showed 22% body fat and that can't be right," sez she.
"Well lookin' atcha Babe, ya look great! What do you think it oughta be?"
"She says, "It had been showin' 26% or so."

Bioelectrical Impedance Body Fat Measurement on a bathroom scale is not a serious scientific way of calculating body fat percentage. Check with a trainer who uses the Jackson Pollack Method with a skin-fold caliper if you want to get into this aspect of this. However, I feel strongly that for us as carbohydrate addicts it is better to focus on controlling the food addiction, and let the weight fall off as a by-product of our efforts. Hey, the mirror tells the story too ya know.

"I can't imagine why you would see it move 4 points in a day." I said.
She then said, "Well most days, I don't even stay on the scale long enough to read what the BF% is gonna even be."

I went online and found a chart that showed that that percentage was within the range of "fitness" for women. The included drawing matches how she looks now. She looked at it for about a second, said it was okay and went on to other things.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:45 AM   #81
BDParrish
Junior LCF Member

Wasting Away to Nothing!

Well, the wedding is over now and my daughter and her new husband are gone to the Bahamas. (We have not heard a word from either of them!) All my old friends and all the family were in town for the event and when we had a chance to speak they wanted to ask me about my diet. (I’d have done well to have printed some cards with the ordering information for the Hellers’ books.) Some people said I was too thin, “You are wasting away to nothing!” Others wanted to tell me about their frustrations with their own diets. One dear friend has a son who must get his weight down before he is inducted into the USMC or they won’t take him. “I am getting the book for him!” she said.

It was no problem staying on the diet during all the events of the week. For example, there was a “bridesmaid luncheon” for all the females involved and my wife and daughters made that their reward meal. The bride made sure that there was always CM compatible food at every event. I did not eat at the reception, it was a mid-afternoon wedding, but we just wrapped up some cake and took it with us. Later my sisters in law from out of town took me and wifey for dinner at O’Charley’s. We carried the cake with us and told the hostess what we were doing and she was delighted to let us eat our wedding cake for dessert. I had salad and prime rib.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:01 AM   #82
Cali girl
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cali girl
Stats: 213/198/155 (5'6)
Start Date: Restart 8-2-17 @ 199
Hi everyone......I'm back to CAD,
Hoping to stay for a while. I've had a lot going on in my life lately and haven't posted in a while.

B-Coffee
L-1 Johnsonville 4Cheese Italian Sausage
D- Dinner Salad w/Kens buttermilk ranch & rotisserie chicken enchiladas w/ sour cream and guacamole

I Live My Life The Way That I Choose
......Bad Company-Bad Company......
Cali girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:30 AM   #83
Cali girl
Senior LCF Member

Down a little over a pound today but I'm going to average my weight weekly.

B- Coffee
L- Blue Cheese Smoked Sausage and soft boiled eggs (cooked in my Henrietta hen)
D-Buffalo Chicken Wings (at a restaurant for son's birthday) w/BC Dressing & Strawberry Cheesecake for dessert

I'm looking forward to average my weight, I'll most likely do that on Saturday.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:18 AM   #84
Cali girl
Senior LCF Member

Hi all.....I'm doing good on CAD and will start averaging my weight going from Saturday to Saturday since I started on a Wednesday.

I was wondering if anyone does there reward meal for lunch instead of dinner??
I have been having it for dinner and wondering if it makes any difference to eat my carbs earlier in the day.

Also wondering if switching it a couple times a week would really hurt my losses. If anyone does that regularly and doesn't have any problems

Old 08-05-2017, 08:33 AM   #85
Janie444
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Janie444
Stats: 185/157/145 5'5"
Start Date: SCD 04/02;CAD 10/14
Hi Cali!
Welcome back!! I'm glad things are going well for you on CAD. I almost always have my RM in the evening and only seem to change that up for special occasions so I can't really help you there. If memory serves me correctly, the book suggests having RM as the same meal each day -- I'm thinking it helps reduce the cravings when you keep the carbs spaced apart 24 hours. And for me, that's what it is all about!
I am still working crazy hours and I alternate my CM -- sometimes earlier in the day and sometimes more in the afternoon based on when I start my shift. It is working for me. Often, if I don't eat breakfast (CM) at home before hand, I bring a container filled half with protein and half with low carb vegetables. The real benifit to me is that I'm not dealing with outrageous hunger by the time I get home, making it so much easier to stick to my one hour limit for RM. it took me a while to figure that out! Haha!!
Blessings to you, and all of the rest of the CAD group! So glad you are here ❤️
Old 08-05-2017, 09:59 AM   #86
BDParrish
Junior LCF Member

Hi Cali Girl!

Happy for you and wish you great success. I will look forward to your updates. I have had absolutely unqualified success on CAD/CALP but I am "by the book" ya know. My cravings are completely gone.

In my opinion, the composition of the complementary meals is THE most important thing. Too many carbs in your salad dressing at your CM, for example, will do more to set you back than anything you may eat at your RM. You know you eat food on this diet! There may be some time fixing the metabolic damage from previous dieting, but you will certainly succeed in repairing your hormonal imbalance so stick to the plan for the long term. The weight is going to come off, and your overall health will improve!
Old 08-05-2017, 10:05 AM   #87
BDParrish
Junior LCF Member

Back From Jamaica!

My newlywed daughter is back from five days in Jamaica (earlier post said incorrectly the Bahamas) with her new hubby. I asked her if she stayed on the diet and she said, "No problem, mon!" There were other brides there who were gorging on all the sweet carbs who obviously have no further need to fit into the "dress." The resort was certainly catering to their abandon, but she said she felt no temptation, no cravings at all. I did not ask her why she stayed on the diet, as I knew better than that.

So with all the events leading up to her wedding reception and continuing through her whole honeymoon, she LOST weight! She really enjoyed having omelets that were made to order by the resort chef. She drank mostly seltzer water with a fresh lime twist.

Way to go Katie!

Last edited by BDParrish; 08-05-2017 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: correction
Old 08-05-2017, 10:53 AM   #88
Cali girl
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie444 View Post
Hi Cali!
Welcome back!! I'm glad things are going well for you on CAD. I almost always have my RM in the evening and only seem to change that up for special occasions so I can't really help you there. If memory serves me correctly, the book suggests having RM as the same meal each day -- I'm thinking it helps reduce the cravings when you keep the carbs spaced apart 24 hours. And for me, that's what it is all about!
I am still working crazy hours and I alternate my CM -- sometimes earlier in the day and sometimes more in the afternoon based on when I start my shift. It is working for me. Often, if I don't eat breakfast (CM) at home before hand, I bring a container filled half with protein and half with low carb vegetables. The real benifit to me is that I'm not dealing with outrageous hunger by the time I get home, making it so much easier to stick to my one hour limit for RM. it took me a while to figure that out! Haha!!
Blessings to you, and all of the rest of the CAD group! So glad you are here ❤️
Hi Janie!!
Thanks, that makes perfect sense about keeping the carbs spaced 24 hrs apart. I do like my RM for dinner also and I'm afraid if I eat it for lunch I will feel I don't have anything to look forward to. That just might mess with my head and I really want this to work for me

Old 08-05-2017, 11:02 AM   #89
Cali girl
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDParrish View Post
Happy for you and wish you great success. I will look forward to your updates. I have had absolutely unqualified success on CAD/CALP but I am "by the book" ya know. My cravings are completely gone.

In my opinion, the composition of the complementary meals is THE most important thing. Too many carbs in your salad dressing at your CM, for example, will do more to set you back than anything you may eat at your RM. You know you eat food on this diet! There may be some time fixing the metabolic damage from previous dieting, but you will certainly succeed in repairing your hormonal imbalance so stick to the plan for the long term. The weight is going to come off, and your overall health will improve!
Hi BD.....your right about the CM, I've had a salad for lunch before on LC and if it's to big I get terrible cravings!! I really didn't think about the dressing I was thinking it was just the lettuce itself but the carbs do add up in the dressing.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:10 AM   #90
Cali girl
Senior LCF Member

So many positive thoughts here on this thread and they came just at the right time for me!!

I love how everyone still posts even though they have lost most of there weight already it's very encouraging and I really appreciate that.