Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 03-08-2017, 10:26 AM   #91
Izzysdream
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: age 60, prednisone since 11/16
WOE: trying to figure it out
Start Date: 4/2006 restart:
Quote:
Originally Posted by makemeslim View Post
Hey Izzy. Thank you.
I've heard lots about Candida and also about leaky gut but I don't know much about either condition... How are they diagnosed? Is it via blood test? Do you need to take meds to get better? Sorry for all the Q's.

OK I have to laugh coz I asked you about leaky gut and right before I hit send, I noticed I had mistakenly typed leaky but!!
I'm just learning also. My functional medicine doctor used a test through Genova Diagnostics. They took blood samples and urine samples. Here is the information:
The NutrEval® Profile includes:

Metabolic Analysis Profile
Metabolic Analysis assessment provides information on 45 key organic acids. These biomarkers are grouped into easy-to-understand categories, and provide insight for functional support in the areas of: malabsorption & dysbiosis; cellular energy & mitochondrial metabolism; neurotransmitter metabolism; vitamin deficiencies; and toxin exposure & detoxification need.

Amino Acids Analysis
Amino Acids analysis features either plasma (37 total) or urine (41 total) amino acids. This assesses nutritionally essential and non-essential amino acids, as well as intermediary metabolites that augment an understanding of B vitamin need, and need for support of protein digestion & absorption.

Essential & Metabolic Fatty Acids Analysis
Essential and Metabolic Fatty Acids Analysis provides a high level overview of the balance of various families of fatty acids in relation to each other: Omega 3, 6 and 9 Fatty Acids; Saturated Fatty Acids; and Monounsaturated Omega 7 and Trans Fats. It also provides key ratios for understanding cardiovascular risk, including the Omega 3 Index.

Elemental Analysis, Packed Eyrthrocytes
Elemental Profiles provide information in two categories: Nutrient Elements which evaluates intracellular nutrient status, and Toxic Elements which evaluate short-term toxic element exposure.

Oxidative Stress
Oxidative Stress biomarkers highlight the body’s current state of oxidative stress and reserve capacity. Markers of oxidative injury assess cell membrane (lipid peroxides) and DNA (8-hydroxydeguanosine/8-OHdG) damage, while direct measurement of glutathione and CoQ10 provide insight into antioxidant reserve available to counter free-radical impact. Additional markers are available in our Oxidative Stress 2.0 profile.

My doctor said it was a $1500 test, I paid $159. It wasn't covered by insurance, but they submitted it to deduct it from their taxes somehow.
Quote:
OK I have to laugh coz I asked you about leaky gut and right before I hit send, I noticed I had mistakenly typed leaky but!!
Oh yes, I've had the leaky butt syndrome in the past also! LOL

Last edited by Izzysdream; 03-08-2017 at 10:28 AM..
Izzysdream is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2017, 06:51 AM   #92
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mim
Stats: 261/250.6/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: January 3, 2016 (this time!)
Ohhhh that drat leaky butt syndrome!

I am frustrated with the slowness of my weight loss. I'm thinking about what to change up with our next challenge. On the plus size though, I'm feeling really good because I'm on plan!
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:16 AM   #93
Izzysdream
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post

I am frustrated with the slowness of my weight loss. I'm thinking about what to change up with our next challenge. On the plus size though, I'm feeling really good because I'm on plan!
Mim, oh yes! I feel so much better off sugar/gluten. The weight isn't dropping much but I'm eating too much at this point. I'm so grateful not to be depressed and to be looking forward to spring. I'm out of my isolation mode now. My next door neighbor has bladder cancer so I've been walking her small dog, if only around the block. Just that little bit a movement helps...limited by joint issues. It's good to be alive right now!

Last edited by Izzysdream; 03-09-2017 at 10:17 AM..
Old 03-11-2017, 05:47 AM   #94
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

I had a crises yesterday. My scale refuses to budge and I was in tears. It was a long day and I had to run to the store before heading home. I thought about what comfort food to get - why not? But then as I thought about it I knew that I would just end up feeling more miserable. So, I came out of the store with what I went in for, and only that!
Old 03-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #95
makemeslim
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makemeslim
Stats: 194/184/140 5ft 11
WOE: Stillman's QWL/South Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzysdream View Post
I'm just learning also. My functional medicine doctor used a test through Genova Diagnostics. They took blood samples and urine samples. Here is the information:
The NutrEval® Profile includes:

Metabolic Analysis Profile
Metabolic Analysis assessment provides information on 45 key organic acids. These biomarkers are grouped into easy-to-understand categories, and provide insight for functional support in the areas of: malabsorption & dysbiosis; cellular energy & mitochondrial metabolism; neurotransmitter metabolism; vitamin deficiencies; and toxin exposure & detoxification need.

Amino Acids Analysis
Amino Acids analysis features either plasma (37 total) or urine (41 total) amino acids. This assesses nutritionally essential and non-essential amino acids, as well as intermediary metabolites that augment an understanding of B vitamin need, and need for support of protein digestion & absorption.

Essential & Metabolic Fatty Acids Analysis
Essential and Metabolic Fatty Acids Analysis provides a high level overview of the balance of various families of fatty acids in relation to each other: Omega 3, 6 and 9 Fatty Acids; Saturated Fatty Acids; and Monounsaturated Omega 7 and Trans Fats. It also provides key ratios for understanding cardiovascular risk, including the Omega 3 Index.

Elemental Analysis, Packed Eyrthrocytes
Elemental Profiles provide information in two categories: Nutrient Elements which evaluates intracellular nutrient status, and Toxic Elements which evaluate short-term toxic element exposure.

Oxidative Stress
Oxidative Stress biomarkers highlight the body’s current state of oxidative stress and reserve capacity. Markers of oxidative injury assess cell membrane (lipid peroxides) and DNA (8-hydroxydeguanosine/8-OHdG) damage, while direct measurement of glutathione and CoQ10 provide insight into antioxidant reserve available to counter free-radical impact. Additional markers are available in our Oxidative Stress 2.0 profile.

My doctor said it was a $1500 test, I paid $159. It wasn't covered by insurance, but they submitted it to deduct it from their taxes somehow.
Oh yes, I've had the leaky butt syndrome in the past also! LOL
Wow that seems thorough! I got dizzy reading it, lol. It might be something I'll look into in the future as I suffer from quite severe fatigue and have no real answers. Thanks Izzy.
makemeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:18 AM   #96
makemeslim
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Hang in there Mim, sooner or later your body will let go. It has to! I've been on YT all day and I've found this Chanel called Go Keto with Casey. She's a mature women who has lost nearly 100lb with Keto. There's a video of hers entitled I can't believe I was so fat. It's worth a watch. She has inspired me so much that tomorrow I will switch to Keto instead of SB. I'm going to commit to 3 weeks for the challenge and then review things after that.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:22 AM   #97
makemeslim
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I had a crises yesterday. My scale refuses to budge and I was in tears. It was a long day and I had to run to the store before heading home. I thought about what comfort food to get - why not? But then as I thought about it I knew that I would just end up feeling more miserable. So, I came out of the store with what I went in for, and only that!
Well done Mim. I've had a few moments myself... Kept thinking, I've done so well I deserve a treat. I'm not hungry but this has been tough!
Looking forward to Keto tomorrow. I can finally have some broccoli!!!
Any more thoughts on changing your plan?
Old 03-11-2017, 02:25 PM   #98
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

I'm pondering, MMS. I may do what I'm doing and add a vegetable to two meals. I guess I need to decide by tomorrow!
Old 03-12-2017, 05:33 AM   #99
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Sunday 19th........... Sunday 26th....... Sunday 5th......Sunday12th.................Total
Name..........................lbs lost................lbs lost...........lbs lost.....................Loss

Makeme........................9................... ......5

Mim............................4.8................ ..........3..............1........................ ..8.8
Old 03-12-2017, 05:34 AM   #100
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Hey MMS! We did it! Looking forward to the next 3 week challenge. Maybe more friends will join us!

I long for the days of big losses, but alas, those days have passed me by. I'm happy with an almost 9 pound loss for the 3 weeks. Plus, I was on plan before we started, so there is no big first week loss.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:18 AM   #101
Hannahmo
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Hannahmo
If you guys or anyone else starts a new three week challenge, I would like to join!
Hannahmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:54 AM   #102
Peace
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Peace
Hi mim/make me-- congrats on your loss! Very inspiring.

Hannah I am in. I am 3 week strict keto but every other day stillmans. I am going to watch protein this time on keto and see what happens! My goal is 8 lbs in 3 weeks
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:22 AM   #103
makemeslim
Major LCF Poster!

I'll be back later but wanted to let you kno that I lost 3lbs this week.
Got news an hour ago that my best fiend is in an induced coma in a hospital. She was found unresponsive at the bottom of a stair way... Can't quite believe it...
Old 03-12-2017, 08:25 AM   #104
makemeslim
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Hi mim/make me-- congrats on your loss! Very inspiring.

Hannah I am in. I am 3 week strict keto but every other day stillmans. I am going to watch protein this time on keto and see what happens! My goal is 8 lbs in 3 weeks
Be great to have you both join. I'll start the new thread soon. Just on my way to the hospital
Old 03-12-2017, 08:27 AM   #105
makemeslim
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hey MMS! We did it! Looking forward to the next 3 week challenge. Maybe more friends will join us!

I long for the days of big losses, but alas, those days have passed me by. I'm happy with an almost 9 pound loss for the 3 weeks. Plus, I was on plan before we started, so there is no big first week loss.
We did it Mim. So pleased for ya!
By now you know the circumstances with my friend. Please say a prayer. It's all a bit surreal. We had an hour long phone conversation on Friday.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:29 AM   #106
makemeslim
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Sunday 19th........... Sunday 26th....... Sunday 5th......Sunday12th.................Total
Name..........................lbs lost................lbs lost...........lbs lost.....................Loss

Makeme........................9................... ......5.............3

Mim............................4.8................ ..........3..............1........................ ..8.8
Sorry if this is not straight. I'll correct later
Old 03-12-2017, 07:37 PM   #107
Peace
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Peace
Hope you are ok MMS
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #108
Izzysdream
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'll be back later but wanted to let you kno that I lost 3lbs this week.
Got news an hour ago that my best fiend is in an induced coma in a hospital. She was found unresponsive at the bottom of a stair way... Can't quite believe it...
Sending prayers!
Old 03-14-2017, 08:04 AM   #109
makemeslim
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks guys. They are keeping my friend in an induced coma for now as they don't think she will be able to breath properly on her own. That said, the docs have said they are optimistic. All I can do is pray.

New challenge is here... http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=886955 Please join, all welcome! I actually decided to keep it low fat for the next few weeks but I decided to do Dukan for more variety. I have so many chicken breasts in the freezer and I want to use them up. I've also got a lot of turkey mince that needs cooking.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #110
Izzysdream
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks guys. They are keeping my friend in an induced coma for now as they don't think she will be able to breath properly on her own. That said, the docs have said they are optimistic. All I can do is pray.

New challenge is here... http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=886955 Please join, all welcome! I actually decided to keep it low fat for the next few weeks but I decided to do Dukan for more variety. I have so many chicken breasts in the freezer and I want to use them up. I've also got a lot of turkey mince that needs cooking.
So sorry, sending prayers! Do they know what caused it?
Old 03-14-2017, 03:25 PM   #111
makemeslim
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzysdream View Post
So sorry, sending prayers! Do they know what caused it?
Hi Izzy... They think she fell down the stairs but police are not ruling out that she could have been pushed. I don't think she was but but they have to consider it a possibility until she wakes up. It's also thought she had some sort of fit (she has been insulin dependent for two years so I'm wondering if thats behind it). She swallowed her tongue and vomited into her lungs. They are not waking her up today. They say she is not ready to breath properly on her own. Despite all this, they are optimistic. I am too. I'm certain she will pull through. She has fractured her cheek bone and is swollen but thankfully there is no brain damage or head trauma.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:22 PM   #112
makemeslim
Major LCF Poster!

Should add that when I say she swallowed her tounge I mean it blocked her airways when she was unconscious. That's how it was explained to me. The waiting is horrible but as I said I'm confident she will pull through this.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:36 PM   #113
Izzysdream
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Should add that when I say she swallowed her tounge I mean it blocked her airways when she was unconscious. That's how it was explained to me. The waiting is horrible but as I said I'm confident she will pull through this.
How horrible! I'm assuming they did a scan of her brain? The first thing I think of is brain aneurysm rupture, I'm in 3 facebook support groups and I know losing consciousness and vomiting can be a symptom of rupture. Your poor friend. Sending prayers for her and her family and you!
Sorry, just saw that you posted no brain trauma! Good!

Last edited by Izzysdream; 03-15-2017 at 12:37 PM..
Old 03-16-2017, 05:11 AM   #114
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

MMS - I am so relieved that the prognosis looks good for your friend. I have been keeping her in prayer. Keep us updated!
Old 03-16-2017, 05:13 AM   #115
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

My cold seems to be gone - except for the cough. I'm going to drive my new car today! I've only taken it to and from the church since I bought it on Friday. Today it will get a total of 5 hours, as I am meeting my son - 2.3 hours away - for lunch! Lunch will be a salad. I am enjoying being on plan!
Old 03-16-2017, 07:15 PM   #116
krissakris
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: krissakris
WOE: Low-Carb Something of Another...
I may be in for the two week challenge! I started Monday. I go to two Cancun in 9 days, so there will be guacamole and tequila. I plan to stay low carb tho.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:44 PM   #117
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Hey krissakris - I ordered the instapot today!
Old 03-17-2017, 08:10 AM   #118
Izzysdream
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
My cold seems to be gone - except for the cough. I'm going to drive my new car today! I've only taken it to and from the church since I bought it on Friday. Today it will get a total of 5 hours, as I am meeting my son - 2.3 hours away - for lunch! Lunch will be a salad. I am enjoying being on plan!
Mim, hope you had a lovely drive! Glad you are feeling better!
Old 03-19-2017, 08:23 AM   #119
makemeslim
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks guys. I know we are posting in the round 2 thread but just to let you know, my friend is awake and doing well. Still in hospital obviously but she been moved from the intensive care unit and can breath unaided. She's being treated for pneumonia.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:23 PM   #120
Izzysdream
Senior LCF Member

[QUOTE=makemeslim;17600009]Thanks guys. I know we are posting in the round 2 thread but just to let you know, my friend is awake and doing well. Still in hospital obviously but she been moved from the intensive care unit and can breath unaided. She's being treated for pneumonia.[/QUOTE
Great News MMS!