Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2017, 09:26 AM   #31
DiamondDeb
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 150+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I have read how some people have long-lived red blood cells, making their a1c higher. I sometimes wonder if I have short-lived red blood cells, thereby not giving them as much time to have whatever it is they measure in an a1c attach, keeping it lower.

I have tested my own BS a few times, and have fasting BG tested every 6 months or so. It is often in the 80s and 90s, which is creeping up there. It seems like my a1c should be higher. Maybe I don't get high spikes, making the average stay low. The lab results say and a1c of 4.5 (my latest) translates into an average BG of of 83. How can that be when my morning fasting is 90? Dawn phenomenon I guess, and it must dip later in the day. I have a monitor, I should do more testing.
I'm going to say that the calculations translating A1c are not really all that accurate. If it is correct only some of the time for some of the people it really isn't helpful.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven
King James Version (KJV), Ecclesiastes 3:1
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2017, 09:28 AM   #32
DiamondDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Ronnie, I agree with Leo, I think you should have a real GTT that you have prepared for. Then you can know what is going on, rather than wonder and worry.
I don't see the point of eating high carbs for days to do a high carb test if one doesn't eat high carbs normally. The exception would be if one wants to eat high carbs.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #33
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
A1c is a test of how much glycation happens over time and fasting insulin is what level of insulin is present at the time of the test. They don't correlate because they are looking at 2 different things. At least, that is how I understand it.

If a person has a lot of insulin circulating, it means that they require more to keep b.g. levels in check. No?

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:15 AM   #34
DiamondDeb

Sort of but not really what I am talking about. If insulin is low why would A1c be high? If blood glucose is running high shouldn't insulin go up in response? Am I forgetting something? Definitely possible with the week I'm having..

Old 09-13-2017, 11:40 AM   #35
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ronnie51
Thanks, everyone, you're right of course, but I know my doctor will not order a GTT until my A1c goes over 6. That hasn't happened (fortunately), and I hope to keep that from happening. The fact that I spiked so high after eating those pancakes shows that I have a glucose intolerance problem that is not necessarily insulin resistance, but maybe I'm insulin deficient. Something is going on.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #36
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Deb-

A GTT is not a 'high carb test.' It's a test of how one's body handles glucose. Eating carbs prior to the test is standard medical procedure, as someone eating low carb would not get accurate values [according to the science which I don't really understand].

I don't follow the science behind this, but it has been verified as necessary for test accuracy. Eating carbs for 3 days was not a problem for me and certainly worth it for the confirmation that I wasn't diabetic.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:51 AM   #37
DiamondDeb

Leo, yes, I believe I understand what it is. I don't understand why it would be important to handle high amounts of glucose if one does not consume lots of carbs and therefore does not have high amounts of glucose needing to be handled.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:49 PM   #38
Ronnie51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ronnie51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
Sort of but not really what I am talking about. If insulin is low why would A1c be high? If blood glucose is running high shouldn't insulin go up in response? Am I forgetting something? Definitely possible with the week I'm having..
I'm certainly no expert, but this is what I understand from reading different articles. If you are insulin resistant (as opposed to insulin sensitive), then yes, it takes more insulin than normal to keep your fasting blood glucose in normal territory. So, your fasting glucose can be normal, but if your fasting insulin is high, then you're insulin resistant. In an insulin sensitive person, aka normal person, it takes very little insulin to keep their fasting blood glucose in the normal range, so both those numbers are normal. In an insulin deficient person (which I think I am), you can have normal fasting insulin and normal fasting glucose, but after you eat your body cannot produce enough insulin to keep your glucose from spiking. It's really all very complicated.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:14 PM   #39
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Deb-
It's not a test of how you handle 'high amounts of glucose' but simply how your body handles glucose in general.

For example, the reason my endo wanted me to take the test is because she wondered whether my low carb eating was 'masking' (i.e., controlling) Type 2 diabetes because I've always had 'symptoms' and a family history.

If I were 'controlling,' it would be important to know because monitoring my glucose levels would become important. I was relieved when the GTT showed that I wasn't diabetic.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #40
DiamondDeb

It seems to me that, if you consume high amounts for the test, that is what it is testing. Why use amounts that are not going to occur? That makes no sense to me.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:43 PM   #41
Leo41
Senior LCF member

No, you really aren't understanding the GTT at all.

If you are interested, you can Google it. If not ,just forget about it.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:14 PM   #42
DiamondDeb

I do understand it but I don't think you are understanding my point and we've both tried a few times so we might as well move on.