Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 06-01-2017, 08:17 PM   #1
DiamondDeb
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 150+ lbs lost
Fung Style Fasting Chat ~ JUNE 2017

WELCOME EVERYONE!

Is is time for summer fun?

Some quotes from Dr. Fung for us to think about...

“Fasting, by taking a completely different approach, is much easier to understand. It is so simple that it can be explained in two sentences: Eat nothing. Drink water, tea, coffee, or bone broth. That’s it.”
― Jason Fung, The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended

“BREAKFAST: THE MOST IMPORTANT MEAL TO SKIP?”
― Jason Fung, The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss

“Diet is Batman and exercise is Robin. Diet does 95 percent of the work and deserves all the attention; so, logically, it would be sensible to focus on diet. Exercise is still healthy and important—just not equally important. It has many benefits, but weight loss is not among them.”

“Simplistic arguments that “Carbs make you fat!” or “Calories make you fat!” or “Red meat makes you fat!” or “Sugar makes you fat!” do not fully capture the complexity of human obesity.”

“The government is subsidizing, with our own tax dollars, the very foods that are making us obese. Obesity is effectively the result of government policy.”

“Carbohydrates in their natural, whole, unprocessed form, perhaps with the exception of honey, always contain fiber—which is precisely why junk food and fast food are so harmful. The processing and the addition of chemicals change the food into a form that our bodies have not evolved to handle. That is exactly why these foods are toxic.”
― Jason Fung, The Obesity Code: unlocking the secrets of weight loss

Get the right perspective. When Goliath came against the Israelites,
the soldiers all thought, He is so big. We can never kill him."
David looked at the same giant and thought, "He is so big. I can't miss." ~ Russell Johnston
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2017, 08:20 PM   #2
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Marking my spot. Thanks for the new thread Deb.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:36 PM   #3
DiamondDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lina View Post
Deb, I can't find a way to quote both of your last two posts, but I agree about man-made foods being more of an issue than carbs per se. Sometimes we tend to conflate high carb with highly processed. There are indigenous groups that have very large proportion of carbs in their diets and they don't get diabetes, and there are plenty of folks who genuinely thrive on a high carb diet. Grains have all sorts of issues for most people, but other natural sources of carbs aren't addictive and don't (in an of themselves) lead to all sorts of awful health problems.

Process them, concentrate the sugars, add sweeteners and additives that make them crazy tasty... that's a different story! Plus since they're processed and stripped of any real nutritional value I think we tend to eat even MORE since - in terms of actual nutrients - we're still actually hungry!

I know this isn't the best place to defend carbs , and personally I do best when I keep them to a minimum (and obviously the standard of care carb recommendations for diabetics are absolutely insane) but I don't think that carbohydrates are innately terrible.
I even came across a quote from Dr. Fung (last one above) regarding what has happened to our food and how it is making people sick. All the healthy "stuff" gets processed out.

It really is an eye-opener for me when I shop for food these days. Most foods are not on my "allowed" list because they are processed, GMO, have chemicals added, are inflammatory, etc. All that "non-food" that people eat. Very little real food.

Oh! I've been eating this way for FOUR months now! Whole30 + Intermittent Fasting. I would still like stevia in flavored coffee but my body is really responding well to eating such purist nutrition so I'm going to stick with it. Can't complain about high quality food.

David looked at the same giant and thought, "He is so big. I can't miss." ~ Russell Johnston
Old 06-02-2017, 06:35 AM   #4
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 1/25/17
Thanks, Deb!!!!
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:38 AM   #5
HappyInKetosis
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HappyInKetosis
Stats: 188/142/135 5'2"
WOE: Ketogenic/LCHF with IF
Start Date: Restarted March 2017
Thanks for the June post, Deb. I'm so glad I found the May one and enjoyed the discussion with everyone!

The Jason Fung quotes are great; is it odd that I'm hearing the words in his own voice? (Sometimes, I even add a "right?" at the end.)

I am on hour 37 of my first fast that extended beyond 24 hours. Still not hungry, just had some coffee. But interestingly, my mouth wants something to eat - not my stomach. Sort of reminds me of quitting smoking when my hand needed something to hold more than my brain wanted the nicotine.

- Pat a/k/a "Happy" In Ketosis
HappyInKetosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:48 AM   #6
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyInKetosis View Post
Thanks for the June post, Deb. I'm so glad I found the May one and enjoyed the discussion with everyone!

The Jason Fung quotes are great; is it odd that I'm hearing the words in his own voice? (Sometimes, I even add a "right?" at the end.)

I am on hour 37 of my first fast that extended beyond 24 hours. Still not hungry, just had some coffee. But interestingly, my mouth wants something to eat - not my stomach. Sort of reminds me of quitting smoking when my hand needed something to hold more than my brain wanted the nicotine.
Pat, that is so funny you say that because I too have his voice in my head when I read his posts or see his quotes with him saying "right?"

Congrats on your fast, you got this.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:53 AM   #7
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/217/not sure 5'7
WOE: IF/NK
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I tack on a "right?" in my mind too.

There is a gal I work with that is really smart and she does the same thing, so it was endearing to me when I heard Dr. Fung say it.

Last edited by GME; 06-02-2017 at 06:54 AM..
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:17 AM   #8
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Happy June!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:39 AM   #9
DiamondDeb

As long as I don't start adding "right?" to all my sentences out loud, I welcome Dr. Fung's voice when I'm reading his thoughts...

Old 06-02-2017, 08:04 AM   #10
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/199/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Do you mean a high and sustained spike or just a spike? I'm pretty sure that everyone has a rise in blood sugar after consuming carbs (someone correct me if this is not true... ). I'm not diabetic - not even close - but I monitor my blood sugar because I'm a total geek about these things, and my blood sugar rises after I eat carbohydrates. From everything I've read this is pretty much what you would expect.

Lina, I don't want to hijack the thread, but I also didn't want to ignore your question.
It's true that everyone's blood sugar rises after eating carbs, but it's about how high and how long it stays high. In a non-diabetic it rises, but comes back to normal in a short period of time. In my case as a diabetic, it will go extremely high and stay high for hours. Most of the time I need meds to get it back down. It will also rise after a large low carb meal. It will also happen to a non-diabetic who is becoming insulin resistant. To me, a spike is over 200.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung

Last edited by PACarolsue; 06-02-2017 at 08:06 AM..
PACarolsue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:35 AM   #11
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/126.8/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Marking my spot. Happy June!

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #12
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Extra Extra!!! Dr. Fung is on FastingTalk this week with Jimmy Moore
Old 06-02-2017, 05:59 PM   #13
DiamondDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post

Thanks for letting us know!

Old 06-02-2017, 07:54 PM   #14
Lina
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
Do you mean a high and sustained spike or just a spike? I'm pretty sure that everyone has a rise in blood sugar after consuming carbs (someone correct me if this is not true... ). I'm not diabetic - not even close - but I monitor my blood sugar because I'm a total geek about these things, and my blood sugar rises after I eat carbohydrates. From everything I've read this is pretty much what you would expect.

Lina, I don't want to hijack the thread, but I also didn't want to ignore your question.
It's true that everyone's blood sugar rises after eating carbs, but it's about how high and how long it stays high. In a non-diabetic it rises, but comes back to normal in a short period of time. In my case as a diabetic, it will go extremely high and stay high for hours. Most of the time I need meds to get it back down. It will also rise after a large low carb meal. It will also happen to a non-diabetic who is becoming insulin resistant. To me, a spike is over 200.
Ah - thanks, Carol! So you'll consider your diabetes reversed if/when you have the kind of blood glucose response to carbs that a non-diabetic has (a rise and then a pretty quick decline to normal). Yes, that makes sense to me.
Lina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:10 AM   #15
DiamondDeb

Quote:
I was disappointed in this. It was mostly a lot of wasted time going over and over the same thing. They could have just said, Dumb study. Not really fasting." And then they could have spent the next hour discussing something worthwhile.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #16
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/126.8/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I was disappointed in this. It was mostly a lot of wasted time going over and over the same thing. They could have just said, Dumb study. Not really fasting." And then they could have spent the next hour discussing something worthwhile.
Agreed! I've only listened to 2 or 3 of the most recent Fasting Talk podcasts, but have not been that impressed just me?

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:58 AM   #17
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Deb & Carly - I agree, it wasn't as exciting as I would have liked either. To add, I think the host should probe more about different subjects since Dr. Fung is a guest only once a month. The host has his ear to cyberworld and he knows the questions/topics people ask and debate on social media and forums like this. I'm sure he still googles his name on a daily basis to see who's talking and what we are talking about. However, I do prefer Dr. Fung over Megan.

Last edited by Rosebud; 06-03-2017 at 08:59 AM..
Old 06-03-2017, 11:29 AM   #18
steve_in_a_cave
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: steve_in_a_cave
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
It really is an eye-opener for me when I shop for food these days. Most foods are not on my "allowed" list because they are processed, GMO, have chemicals added, are inflammatory, etc. All that "non-food" that people eat. Very little real food.
Wow, that is exactly how I feel. I used to really like grocery shopping. I think in hindsight, I was pretty much a victim of food marketing (though I have never bought or eaten as many processed chemically things as MANY people I know!).

Now, even the old rule about keeping to the outer perimeter is tough - there are cardboard stands and endcaps full of the makings for this or that carby recipe, or just pre-sweetened somethings!

My great great grandfather had a grocery store for a while, but back then, grocery was not yet an "industry." Those, I guess, were the days!
steve_in_a_cave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:34 AM   #19
steve_in_a_cave
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: steve_in_a_cave
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Agreed! I've only listened to 2 or 3 of the most recent Fasting Talk podcasts, but have not been that impressed just me?
No, me too. It's disappointing each time an ego becomes bigger than the information. I like Fung in his own words, in part because he is about the science but he can explain it clearly. But, I "get" that if he's gonna do the important science, he won't always be on the interview circuit.

I am lately liking Dr. David Perlmutter's stuff, too. (GRAIN BRAIN author)
steve_in_a_cave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:58 PM   #20
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

I'm about to watch his new video on YouTube: "A New Paradigm of Insulin Resistance".
Old 06-03-2017, 01:24 PM   #21
DiamondDeb

Quote:
I'm about to watch his new video on YouTube: "A New Paradigm of Insulin Resistance".
Thank you!

I do rely on the rest of you to give me a nudge in the right direction! lol

I recently purchased a Fire TV Stick (have not had cable for years) and you motivated me to add the YouTube app! I'm about to watch the video on my TV now!

Old 06-03-2017, 01:40 PM   #22
DiamondDeb

I have a question - I'm watching the video and Dr Fung makes it sound like everyone who is diagnosed with Diabetes 2 also has a diagnosis of fatty liver. Is that true? Because I don't recall hearing that before...

Old 06-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #23
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

I just finished watching and that is my understanding. He is saying now that fatty liver is what causes insulin resistance, not the other way around. My first time hearing it as well, Deb. Very interesting! I'm going to watch again.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #24
DiamondDeb

I suspect it is probably common to have both but I suspect lots of people have Diabetes 2 w/o ever having fatty liver and others have fatty liver w/o having Diabetes 2. Otherwise we'd have seen more discussion about it, I think.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:59 PM   #25
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

That's the thing, this so called "new paradigm of insulin resistance" must be a recent discovery because if one is insulin resistant, you have a fatty liver. Whereas before we were under the impression as you stated because it was if one has insulin resistance, this can cause a domino effect of other issues, such as fatty liver.

Before long, we will only need to take an exam for our clinician's license.

The key is to keep an eye on our ALT markers from our blood panel because he said fatty liver is silent and that is one of two ways (CT/MRI the other) to know you have it. I wonder how many who have T2D pay attention to their ALT numbers?

Last edited by Rosebud; 06-03-2017 at 02:10 PM..
Old 06-03-2017, 02:08 PM   #26
DiamondDeb

Then I have never been insulin resistant. And yet, I'm pretty sure I am and have been most of my life. How does one become morbidly obese at a young age and struggle with it for a lifetime if one is not?

Oh, yes... I am "this close" to being a holistic nutritionist. lol

Old 06-03-2017, 02:09 PM   #27
DiamondDeb

Maybe it was all water weight...

Old 06-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #28
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Deb - its possible it was all water weight.

If you have your FI & FG numbers from the same draw of a recent blood panel, you can plug those numbers into the HOMA-IR calculator at The Blood Code. That's how you will know if you are IR or IS.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:31 PM   #29
DiamondDeb

Yep, 150 pounds of excess water weight...

Having been that heavy, I don't really think I need any test to tell me. I KNOW. If you know what I mean. And having been that heavy, my body will fight to go back there. That is why I am interested in fasting as part of my longterm lifestyle. It seems like the one sure way to beat it.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:34 PM   #30
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

I hear ya. Yes, fasting is the way to go!