Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 06-22-2017, 02:00 PM   #91
It'stime
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: It'stime
Stats: 180/177/140
WOE: Alternate Day Fasting with Fung
Start Date: June 22, 2017
Hi folks,
I'd like to join you all. I'm starting with an alternate day type of fasting with 3 00to 500 for starters. on the DDs. I'd like to work into 0 calories on my down days, but baby steps. On my up days I'll be attempting keto with 20 carbs, but for starters will allow up to 100. I have Fungs book and need to read it. I'm ready to roll...

Start weight 180
It'stime is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2017, 12:13 PM   #92
It'stime
Major LCF Poster!

starting day 3 of ADF and down 2 pounds.

I am fasting 18 hours today with a 5 hour window of just 250 in calories on the DD
Old 06-25-2017, 11:17 AM   #93
It'stime
Major LCF Poster!

made it fasting for 30 hours and eating today! I'm thinking of settling on a Monday, wed, and Friday or Saturday fasting days with a 24 to 43 hour fasted window. Yesterday I ate nothing, so I was pumped about that. I had some soup ready with about 240 calories but didn't need it.

Is anyone out there? how are you all doing?
Old 06-25-2017, 04:26 PM   #94
JayLynn
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: Keto/IF
Start Date: HDE Jan 2015, IF Feb 2016
Sounds like you are doing great, leisha All bets are off for me this week. I'm in Disneyland with my daughter and granddaughter Still keeping the carbs low but having a little of anything I want. No fasting right now though. I plan to try a 3 day when we get back.

Make good choices. I choose love and good health.

"In the beginning, we make our habits. Over time, our habits make us."

Eat clean and keep moving.
And laugh a lot!
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:43 PM   #95
It'stime
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds fun! Have fun in Disney Jan, good enough just trying to eat low carb a little and have fun a lot.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:54 PM   #96
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
WOE: N.K.=vlc/moderate protein/high fat
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'stime View Post
made it fasting for 30 hours and eating today! I'm thinking of settling on a Monday, wed, and Friday or Saturday fasting days with a 24 to 43 hour fasted window. Yesterday I ate nothing, so I was pumped about that. I had some soup ready with about 240 calories but didn't need it.

Is anyone out there? how are you all doing?
That is great! I continue my periodic OMAD but still have no motivation to go longer. I admire those of you who do more. Someday I hope to do as well!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
"I resist insulin" Hyperlipid
We are butter together!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:36 AM   #97
DiamondDeb
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 150+ lbs lost

Good to hear how everyone is doing!

I'm still doing 1-2 meals per day, depending on my schedule. Occasionally, I have a "snacky" day with more food throughout the day. It is good for me mentally and also shakes things up for my body. I don't seem to need longer fasts, at least at this time, and they seem to have negative results for me so I'm sticking with the shorter ones.

I'm doing well and I can't think of any reason to be tracking or counting anything (food, time, etc) so I'm not! It is great to simply fix a meal & eat without weighing/measuring or writing down the time. My food is extremely healthy at all times so what I eat is not an issue.

Get the right perspective. When Goliath came against the Israelites,
the soldiers all thought, He is so big. We can never kill him."
David looked at the same giant and thought, "He is so big. I can't miss." ~ Russell Johnston
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:46 AM   #98
clackley
Chatty Cathy

That is excellent to hear Deb! I think it (eating or not) should become a normal thing without all the tracking etc. after the learning curve. For me however, I still seem to be learning. LOL!

I am less 'stringent' about tracking and on OMADs, it is super easy but I find 'spot checks' still quite useful.

I am still weight stable and that is the challenge.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia
We are butter together!

Last edited by clackley; 06-26-2017 at 08:55 AM..
Old 06-26-2017, 11:15 AM   #99
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/126.8/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
The schedule that I have settled into is Monday fast, eat dinner of my choice on Tuesday night, Wednesday fast, Thursday eat a dinner of my choice, Friday Fast, Saturday might have a snack around 5-6pm then dinner and same Sunday.

I would really like to lose 5 pounds or so, but that is not happening right now. While fasting I allow up to 300 calories from coffee creamer. I need creamer in my coffee. I bet if I could eliminate that I might see a bit of a loss, but just not there yet.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:59 PM   #100
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Carly, some people 'in the know' think that the body is very good at adapting to styles of eating (or not eating). If you are not getting success, I wonder it it would be worth it to change things up?

We are butter together!
Old 06-26-2017, 02:14 PM   #101
Bada_bing
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bada_bing
Stats: 168.2/155.2/140
WOE: LC and JUDD, IF
Start Date: Restart June 23/17
Jumping right in with you all. Been carrying 20 lbs extra for way too long, they need to go. As it is said, you will gain 10 lbs a year....I believe I did. I am an active, healthy 62.5 young woman but I have a stomach that looks "pregnant". Been there done that, lost the baby fat twice but now....????? I have done JUDDD in the past and lost weight, however, unfortunately I didn't stick with it and gained back slowly. I have started IF 16-8 or 20-4 and I am achieving early result. I always was a person who could do without breakfast but then I quit smoking 6 years ago and started to have breakfast....yep, took a few years to catch up but the breakfasts and late evening eating have done the damage. Happy to have found others who feel that intermittent fasting is healthy and long term weight control.

Donna
Bada_bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #102
It'stime
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
That is great! I continue my periodic OMAD but still have no motivation to go longer. I admire those of you who do more. Someday I hope to do as well!

Thanks Clackley! I noticed you are just 10 pounds from goal, your doing great! I followed OMAD when I was young and thin and energetic and it didn't have a name back then.

So I got married and ate the SAD,,,the rest is history! So Sad! I think OMAD is a very healthy way to eat in retrospect......
Old 06-26-2017, 05:09 PM   #103
It'stime
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bada_bing View Post
Jumping right in with you all. Been carrying 20 lbs extra for way too long, they need to go. As it is said, you will gain 10 lbs a year....I believe I did. I am an active, healthy 62.5 young woman but I have a stomach that looks "pregnant". Been there done that, lost the baby fat twice but now....????? I have done JUDDD in the past and lost weight, however, unfortunately I didn't stick with it and gained back slowly. I have started IF 16-8 or 20-4 and I am achieving early result. I always was a person who could do without breakfast but then I quit smoking 6 years ago and started to have breakfast....yep, took a few years to catch up but the breakfasts and late evening eating have done the damage. Happy to have found others who feel that intermittent fasting is healthy and long term weight control.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:15 PM   #104
It'stime
Major LCF Poster!

Diamond I am with you about the weighing and measuring. on my feast days I'm just gonna eat healthy, but I have a (10 pound weight loss major foodie day) planned to celebrate when I get there.

Carly your plan sounds similar to mine. I should drop some pound doing this. I am aiming to make 36 hours before eating on Tuesday. Although I will have some bone broth if need be. I don't know how many calories is in that, but I just decided to go black coffee on the fast day. I wasn't sure I'd be able to handle it black, but this coffee is so good it worked.

Last edited by It'stime; 06-26-2017 at 05:17 PM..
It'stime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:36 AM   #105
PACarolsue
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PACarolsue
Stats: 217/200/? 5'2"
WOE: Whatever Works
Start Date: Tomorrow
Quote:
That is excellent to hear Deb! I think it (eating or not) should become a normal thing without all the tracking etc. after the learning curve. For me however, I still seem to be learning. LOL!

I am less 'stringent' about tracking and on OMADs, it is super easy but I find 'spot checks' still quite useful.

I am still weight stable and that is the challenge.
This is how I feel about it too, Cathy. I want my eating to automatically be just what my body needs, not something I have to plan and measure. It was that way before I met and married DH, and has gone by the wayside, unfortunately. I guess to some point I have to plan, until my body relearns.

"The first step to solving a problem is to admit that one exists."
Dr Jason Fung
PACarolsue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:52 AM   #106
DiamondDeb

I'm reading about MSG - I knew it was best to avoid it but I honestly had no clue how horrible it is! Why haven't they made it illegal to use it?

Just one thing I learned that is of interest to Fung Fasters: MSG stimulates overproduction of INSULIN, causing BS fluctuations and increased food intake. You get hungry soon after consuming it, it leads to weight gain and all the related health problems. They add it to just about everything! I can keep it out of my food at home, I think, but is it completely unsafe to eat out?

David looked at the same giant and thought, "He is so big. I can't miss." ~ Russell Johnston

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 06-27-2017 at 11:56 AM..
Old 06-27-2017, 11:56 AM   #107
Leo41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Deb-
I 'react' to MSG, and the only time I've had a problem (and a serious one) eating out is at national chain restaurants (like Applebee's). I don't know about fast food because I don't eat that, but I'd be wary there, too.

Eating out at 'better' restaurants, I've never had a problem. But I also always avoid salads because I've read that 'most' restaurants douse their greens with MSG to keep them fresh looking.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:19 PM   #108
DiamondDeb

I don't have any noticeable reaction to MSG & I find that scary because it doesn't mean my body doesn't react to it negatively. It just means I can't see the reaction right away.

This does explain why I have often found myself starving soon after eating out at a restaurant.

I don't eat at fast food places either. My friends like chain restaurants and there are lots of them around here. I'd be more likely to trust the better ones, too.

When I cut dairy, salads lost their attraction for me, so that isn't an issue. If I can't have cheese and cheese-based dressing on my salad, why bother?

Old 06-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #109
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 1/25/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I'm reading about MSG - I knew it was best to avoid it but I honestly had no clue how horrible it is! Why haven't they made it illegal to use it?

Just one thing I learned that is of interest to Fung Fasters: MSG stimulates overproduction of INSULIN, causing BS fluctuations and increased food intake. You get hungry soon after consuming it, it leads to weight gain and all the related health problems. They add it to just about everything! I can keep it out of my food at home, I think, but is it completely unsafe to eat out?
Deb - Dr. Eric Berg has a video about MSG and that it increases insulin by 300%, as does maltodextrin and a few others. Unless you stipulate, "no MSG" which is what I did when I was eating SAD for chinese food, there is no way of knowing unless you are very sensitive to it like myself and Leo41 where we have a reaction to it. Mine is nausea. If I get that feeling, there is a good chance of a great amount of MSG and I say this because if there is a negligible amount, I don't/wouldn't notice. I don't buy products to use at home with MSG, Maltodextrin, Modified Food Starch, etc. As far as it being unsafe to eat out, you gotta do what you gotta do. I am not going to stop eating out (high quality, not fast food) to avoid it, just state "no MSG".

Last edited by Rosebud; 06-27-2017 at 12:35 PM..
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:50 PM   #110
DiamondDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Deb - Dr. Eric Berg has a video about MSG and that it increases insulin by 300%, as does maltodextrin and a few others. Unless you stipulate, "no MSG" which is what I did when I was eating SAD for chinese food, there is no way of knowing unless you are very sensitive to it like myself and Leo41 where we have a reaction to it. Mine is nausea. If I get that feeling, there is a good chance of a great amount of MSG and I say this because if there is a negligible amount, I don't/wouldn't notice. I don't buy products to use at home with MSG, Maltodextrin, Modified Food Starch, etc. As far as it being unsafe to eat out, you gotta do what you gotta do. I am not going to stop eating out (high quality, not fast food) to avoid it, just state "no MSG".
I will check out that video - thanks.

My nutrition is close to Whole30 clean. I don't buy products, well, other than mustard that has passed inspection, so I'm good there. It is already hard to eat out attempting to avoid sugars, grains, and unhealthy oils when I eat out. I unintentionally scare restaurant managers... lol They assume I've got severe allergies but I'm mostly working on pain management.

Is just saying "no MSG" enough? There is a long list of ingredients that always contain MSG, another list of ingredients that often do, and yet another list of suspicious ingredients.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #111
Rosebud
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 1/25/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post

Is just saying "no MSG" enough? There is a long list of ingredients that always contain MSG, another list of ingredients that often do, and yet another list of suspicious ingredients.
It's a start. You are correct, there is a long list of MSG that go by other names like hydrolyzed soy, hydrolyzed yeast, modified corn starch, etc. However, there are veggies naturally contain MSG as well.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:44 PM   #112
clackley
Chatty Cathy

Another good reason to eat at home and buy ingredients rather than products where ever possible!

I found this little blurb that might be of interest to those of you that a sensitive to MSG.

Quote:
Claims pertaining to the absence or non-addition of monosodium glutamate such as "contains no MSG", "no MSG added" and "no added MSG" are considered misleading and deceptive when other added sources of free glutamate are present (e.g., hydrolysed vegetable protein (HVP), hydrolyzed plant protein (HPP), hydrolyzed soy protein (HSP), soya sauce or autolysed yeast extracts). There are also a number of common food ingredients that contain high levels of naturally-occurring free glutamate, including tomatoes and tomato juice, grapes and grape juice, other fruit juices, cheeses such as Parmesan and Roquefort, and mushrooms. There are no labelling requirements for naturally-occurring free glutamates.

We are butter together!
Old 06-27-2017, 01:56 PM   #113
DiamondDeb

Cathy, the glutamate occurring naturally in foods is very different (despite the claims of pro-MSG people) than the additives. What occurs naturally is bound in amino acid groupings. The bad stuff we are concerned about (free glutamate) enters the bloodstream 10 times faster than natural or bound glutamate.

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 06-27-2017 at 01:58 PM..
Old 06-28-2017, 07:34 AM   #114
Carly
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/126.8/125 5'1" 41yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD- maintaining since 2/2013
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Carly, some people 'in the know' think that the body is very good at adapting to styles of eating (or not eating). If you are not getting success, I wonder it it would be worth it to change things up?
The pattern I wrote about above is fairly new. I'd say less than a month, so I'll stick it out a bit longer and see.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:19 PM   #115
Bada_bing
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks. Things have been going well. Having one meal a day at 5-6 o'clock. I do have Bpc in the morning though. With that being said, I am losing lbs. thank goodness. I am committed to getting rid of this gut.

Donna
Old 06-30-2017, 01:27 AM   #116
It'stime
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bada_bing View Post
Thanks. Things have been going well. Having one meal a day at 5-6 o'clock. I do have Bpc in the morning though. With that being said, I am losing lbs. thank goodness. I am committed to getting rid of this gut.
Great going! I have big goals,,,,but so far I am making at least 24 hours every other day. Good enough for now.

Are you eating basically low carb or anything you want during the feasting time?
Old 06-30-2017, 10:56 AM   #117
Bada_bing
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Great going! I have big goals,,,,but so far I am making at least 24 hours every other day. Good enough for now.

Are you eating basically low carb or anything you want during the feasting time?
I am eating somewhat low carb although I am trying to not limit myself...I really want to eliminate the pounds and then I will attempt maintenance with 3 or 4 fasts a week. I want to move forward with this WOE for the future. I have done JUDDD and was successful although I found that I slowly started getting more hungry and eating more on DD and then I was eating too many calories and...then I was done with it. I believe that this is my WOE as I don't have to do any calorie counting and just be sensible about my 1 meal a day. And you, are the lbs dropping, I am sure they will!
One week today and I am down 3.6 lbs...good start and I do like the feeling of less bloating!

Donna
Old 07-01-2017, 09:43 AM   #118
DiamondDeb

New thread!

Fung Style Fasting Chat ~ JULY 2017