Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Jump

Old 08-25-2017, 04:51 AM   #121
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Going2
Stats: 223/206(166)/150 5'8"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2003
Happy Friday, everyone!

Sending prayers to our Texas friends who may be affected by Hurricane Harvey.

Having a good week here, am feeling upbeat these days, love it! Knowing we would have dinner with friends, ate light for B and L, and enjoyed some apps with 2 glasses of wine at a seafood place. It was on the waterfront, so we did a short walk afterward on the dock under perfect weather with stars out--so romantic! It's a tourist area and was so nice to see lots of people out enjoying themselves.

My knee is feeling great, although I know to be careful; it's still early in the healing process but I look forward to being gradually more active. With feeling more positive lately, have more confidence and can-do attitude. Think it's the dove-tailing of several good events, but I'll take it!

I also realized this week that I don't feel weepy all the time thinking of my deceased parents and other family loss. It's been 3 years since my mom died and it's really taken that long to get past the heavy-hanging sadness associated with her memory to one of wistfulness and happy remembrances; I get it now.

So, like I said before, am "lightening" my psychic load and the body is following, albeit taking her good ol' time. Each day starts with gratitude for all I have and am looking forward to this new adventure and next stage of our lives called retirement--1 week to go!

For those of you who have grief or sadness in your lives, time can heal, even if it takes years, and obstacles to get past hurts can require some effort and humility. Not saying this works for everyone, just sharing my story.

Be kind to ourselves!
Going2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2017, 08:39 AM   #122
kimmiejean
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimmiejean
Stats: 234/221/175
Start Date: Married 37 Years
8/15/2017 229
8/16/2017 228
8/17/2017 227
8/18/2017 226
8/21/2017 225.9
8/22/2017 225.5
8/23/2017 225.0
8/24/2017 224.8
8/25/2017 224.7

Meals for the day:
2 eggs with bacon
chicken, cheese, pepperoni chips with ranch
Chicken salad
Old 08-27-2017, 01:46 PM   #123
Going2
Senior LCF Member

So far, so good this weekend with eating well (a.k.a. less and LC)! Even with socializing and wine, I've tried to be really focused and watch. every. bite. Not saying I was perfect, but this has been one of the lower-cal weekends I've had!

Watch the Monday weigh-in prove otherwise--ack!
Old 08-28-2017, 07:22 AM   #124
kimmiejean
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning and Happy Monday
Meals for the Day:
Egg Cheese Danish
Hamburger patty with salad blue cheese dressing
Chicken with pork rinds and ranch
Old 08-28-2017, 11:08 AM   #125
Going2
Senior LCF Member

"Recovery Monday" means getting a running start to offset any weekend food and drink indulgences:

B - Coffee w 1/2-1/2, 1/2 Atkins shake, 1 HB egg
L - 2 Lipton onion soup mix recipe burgers w 3 slices American cheese
S - 1/2 cup chopped grapefruit
D (planned) - Salad w/out dressing: greens, sprinkle of shredded cheese, chopped green olives, 1 chopped egg
S - SF Jell-O, SF Popsicle
Old 08-28-2017, 02:44 PM   #126
pendragginp
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pendragginp
Hello everyone! I'm having a "Recovery Monday" too after unexpectedly going to a Chinese restaurant with a friend last night. I stayed as good as possible, but I do have some water weight this morning. Not surprised!

Kimmiejean and Going, you are steady inspirations.

Last edited by pendragginp; 08-28-2017 at 02:45 PM..
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:03 PM   #127
Crazy1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Crazy1
Stats: 198/182/140
WOE: Atkins'92. JUDDD
Hello Friends,

Sorry to have been MIA! Not just down in the dumps, but sick with a migraine, too! As Going2 said, grief and sadness take time to heal and I know that this too shall pass. There is so much else going on in our world........ prayers going out to all those impacted by Hurricane Harvey.

Plum. Always nice to have new people join us.

Wow, Jeanne. You have had quite the summer. How are you coping?.....Your friend, your mother......I would be overwhelmed. Hang in there!

Kimmiejean: Great losses. KUTGW! I know those little losses do add up but I can't handle a that does ounces. Half a pound is as close as I get.

Nice to hear from you bestielou.

Going2: Thanks for sharing your perspective. I only lost my mother last year and the shenanigans of my father hasn't made it very easy to grieve. It certainly will take time to heal. And yes, we do need to be kind to ourselves. Glad to hear that your knee is on the mend.

And I really like Recovery Monday. That's what I am doing today, too!

So we are almost at Labor Day and the end of our current challenge. Any suggestions for our next one? What about going to Halloween?

Think about it.

Onward and downward!
Crazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:46 PM   #128
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/183/148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
hello ladies--this is a quick one--yes things are hectic here--and I will be glad when it settles down--feeling the need to just crawl in a hole--but it is all just temporary! I had a binge nite recently--not weighing today- so I guess it is recovery Monday here too-

Crazy--whatever you decide is great with me--just don't want to give up on our crew here and hoping some oldies will show back up

time to rest/shower/clothes/ grocery ad--later

Jeanne

“It’s in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.” ~Anthony Robbins
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:52 PM   #129
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Nice to see you both, Jeanne and Crazy1! Sorry to hear you are going through some tough times too, sure stinks, and we let our health suffer so we can put energy into buoying up our stressed psyches--hang in there!

Plum - We love Chinese food, have carryout every other week. I try to make a few dishes at home, where the carby sauces can be controlled and noodles subbed with shirataki ones, but it just isn't the same--ha!

Dinner ended up being 1 cup steamed broccoli w a sprinkle of cheddar cheese and some plain cooked pork butt, about 1/3 cup of pieces, sprinkled with some Greek seasoning. Had it with 8 oz. red wine, followed by a Magic PB LC cookie, and SF Popsicle, so a great eating day!

Been really trying to slow down when I eat and chew until each small bite is total mush, which helps with feeling full sooner. This is my latest thing to try <yawn> and am still getting used to doing it. This from someone who likes to eat until full.

DH was asking about LC bread and showed me a list of the kinds you find in groceries, with "high fiber" and "lower carb" selling points. I buy the super LC bread from LCF website sponsor Netrition.com, but he said it doesn't taste as good. Well, duh! More shocking was how we just had a discussion of dropping his carbs to help his diabetes, helllloooo! He said he'll be eating at home more now and wants sandwiches, go figure. My idea was more salads and veggies for lunches since he won't be constrained by what holds up well in a lunchbox. Sigh.

More stuff to work out as we transition into retirement ... 4 days away now!

Last edited by Going2; 08-28-2017 at 06:56 PM..
Old 08-29-2017, 06:12 AM   #130
kimmiejean
Senior LCF Member

8/15/2017 229
8/16/2017 228
8/17/2017 227
8/18/2017 226
8/21/2017 225.9
8/22/2017 225.5
8/23/2017 225.0
8/24/2017 224.8
8/25/2017 224.7
8/29/2017 222.0

Meals for the Day:
Egg Cheese Danish
Chicken Pork Rind Nachos ~~chicken, cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, salsa
FAT BOMB with coffee
Hamburger Patty or chicken with salad
FAT BOMB
Old 08-29-2017, 07:13 AM   #131
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Kimmiejean - Now that's "onward and downward"--great job!
Old 08-29-2017, 08:40 AM   #132
kimmiejean
Senior LCF Member

Thanks! I'm really working hard with my eating plan.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:59 PM   #133
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiejean View Post
Thanks! I'm really working hard with my eating plan.
You've inspired me to get back to core LC eating!

During a successful Atkins run, I was posting menus in a small challenge group so I'll follow Kimmiejean and do some of that now; not sure if others will find it helpful. Am using the free LoseIt! Web app for tracking.

B - Coffee w 1/2-1/2, Atkins shake, 1.5 HB eggs
L - Instant miso soup, cooked pork, 1/4 grapefruit
S - Small celery sticks
D - (planned) Undressed kale greens w some shredded cheese, tomato slice, green olives, and chopped leftover pork; glass of wine
S - SF Jell-O topped w 1/2 Danon Carb control yogurt; tea

Having the munchies as we speak, so off to fill up (HAHAHA) on some celery sticks.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:38 PM   #134
pendragginp
Major LCF Poster!

I'm still not back on my plan yet, but not going crazy with eating either. Yesterday I just felt so nagged by wanting to eat and eat. Not sure if it was just a craving reaction from the Chinese food or if my body had hit a lower set point it wanted to stay at for a bit. Either way, it's okay.

I know it sounds pretty woo-woo but I tell my body "I know you'll do your best, I can be patient if you want to cling to this number for a bit. You're such a good body."

It's just that a few years ago I would see people getting all angry and saying "I'm going to show this body who's boss!" when their poor body had already lost like 50 lbs and just wanted to take a breather. So I decided my body has been a faithful companion for all these years and I want to talk nice to it.

And I'm a firm believer anyway that if you talk nicely to anything you get further! Machines will sit there and sulk for my husband who's yelling at them and start right up for me when I say, "Okay, let's try, I know you'll do your best". Okay, I'm weird.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:41 PM   #135
pendragginp
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, kimmiejean, that's quite a loss! Going is right, you're an inspiration.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:26 PM   #136
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Plum - Definitely something to be said for listening to our bodies and keeping a positive outlook! It's so easy to consider ourselves failures when we need to be mindful of the "process" and that it takes time, YMMV of course.

Dinner ended up being something totally different, I'm just going to post some successful daily menus the day AFTER instead, hahaha!

DH didn't want a 2nd day of leftovers, so I defrosted some Jalfrezi chicken I made a week ago with a lower carb jarred sauce and split it between us. Only had a small portion and it was mixed with some shirataki rice. Slowly sipped a small 4 oz. glass of cheap champagne with it. Had 2 ultra thin slices of provolone cheese as a TV snack, then the SF Jell-O (no yogurt), and finally nibbled a single Brazil nut.

I've been really focused on taking small bites, chewing thoroughly, and taking my time to the next one--seems to help from gorging.

After putting everything in the food tracker for the day, am still under my calorie budget of 1,367 by over 400! Never had a snack because I was keeping busy, then when I got really hungry it was close to dinner prep time anyway.

The control feels good, but am proceeding with caution as I've been here plenty of times before, although fingers crossed it'll stick with the major lifestyle change coming up this weekend (retirement).

Have you all found lifestyle changes affected your eating and health?
Old 08-30-2017, 07:59 AM   #137
kimmiejean
Senior LCF Member

Meals for the Day:

Cream cheese egg Danish

Chilario (Mexican pork) with cheese and sour cream (I forgot my Pork Rinds) DOH!!!
FATBOMB With Coffee
Tonight I'm open~~~I'm not sure.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:42 PM   #138
Crazy1
Senior LCF Member

WTG kimmiejean! You are

Going2: Small bites and chewing thoroughly sound like a good plan. And tracking. Even if it's after the fact. Planning a menu for the day is great but one also needs to flexible . You don't want to become rigid and feel deprived.

As for lifestyle changes - I am the one that is retired.....and I love it! I admit that I am somewhat lazy now that I don't have to keep to a set routine but I have never been a morning person so I enjoy not going through the morning rush. I like not having to pack lunches and it's lovely not to rush home to make dinner. I have always been responsible for housework, laundry, shopping and meals and now have so much time to get er done! Very freeing. DH is self employed so I do his bookkeeping but it doesn't take up too much time. I do procrastinate at times but eventually my bookwork gets completed.

I don't know how DH would react to being retired. Being self employed, he often helps his buddies with projects or outings.....renovations, fishing, gold panning, whatever, so he does keep busy. He also does all the yard work so he would probably do OK.

On the other hand, my FIL has been retired for years but he likes a set routine.....up at 6, breakfast at 6:30, morning walk, coffee at 10, lunch at 11:30, nap, coffee at 3, afternoon walk, dinner at 6, snack at 8, bed at 11. My in laws do everything together....shop, cook, clean, walk, etc. I am not sure I could handle that much togetherness but it works for them.

Retirement is whatever you make it to be. It will take time to figure out what's best for your household but enjoy it.

Best whooshes to you all!

Onward and downward!
Old 08-31-2017, 04:40 AM   #139
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Crazy1 - Thanks for sharing your retirement experience! Sounds like you two have a nice groove going there, could see your DH doing more of the same side stuff when he retires.

And your "best whooshes" worked--the Whoosh Fairy got her little self over here--am down 2 lbs. more this morning! Officially the lowest weight for the year, but still a bit from Onederland. Have been in nice, solid ketosis since Tuesday and LOVING the loss of appetite it brings!

A couple of things have supported this success: our socializing has cut down due to back-to-school season (friends who are parents) and my recent knee injury was a wake-up call on top of retirement coming--if we want to get out and do stuff, being healthier (let's be honest, trimmer) would help my social anxiety with a confidence boost.

But ... the holiday weekend is looming, along with cookouts and brunch, need to be strong and not overdo eating and drinking. I'll try to be smart, but not beat myself up either.

Today is DH's retirement luncheon at a Chinese food restaurant and I've been invited, ugh--not like you can get a fresh salad there! At least there won't be alcohol since almost everyone else will be on their work lunch hours, heh heh.

Celebrating the little successes here, an ounce at a time!
Old 09-01-2017, 10:16 AM   #140
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Happy to be starting September at my lowest weight of the year!

Did a great job at the luncheon--avoided anything carby and had a couple bites of each dish, focusing on the broccoli and green beans, and ate only the filling out of one dumpling--I can do it!

Here are a month's worth of stats to show me bouncing around. The most dramatic loss has been 5 lbs. this past week after doubling down and getting super focused on eating LC, trying for Atkins induction levels.

Am posting ahead of the weekend to keep me motivated--don't want to have a "recovery Tuesday" as well! OTOH, am not going to dwell on any gain over the weekend either, just be reasonable and focus on good eating opportunities.

Have a good weekend, everyone, check in when you can and think of every day as a new beginning if you struggle.

7/31 - 219.6
8/03 - 218.6
8/09 - 220.6
8/20 - 217.8
8/24 - 219.0
8/25 - 217.4
8/27 - 216.2
8/28 - 217.6
8/29 - 217.2
8/30 - 216.2
8/31 - 214.6
9/01 - 213.6
Old 09-01-2017, 07:24 PM   #141
Crazy1
Senior LCF Member

Great job Going2. You are a winner!.....I mean Loser! KUTGW! Glad you had a whoosh!

I will be sure to think of every day as a new beginning. Haven't actually lost any weight this challenge. Well, I had lost a few pounds, but they found me again But it's a new month, almost time for a new challenge.

Onward and downward!
Old 09-02-2017, 04:28 AM   #142
Going2
Senior LCF Member

Crazy1 - I joined this group back with the winter challenge and have lost this much to date <drum roll> ... 9 lbs.! Yah, averages only a pound a month. I started serious, then slacked, then sorta tried, slacked ... you get it. Only recently have begun to seriously work on my eating, including the mental game. I do not want to go into 2018 over 200 lbs., would love to lose another 20 by then, very doable in 17 weeks.

Just need this pesky knee injury to heal so I can start walking a little--argh!

Folks keep saying--and I show know by now--that deep dietary ketosis is a great appetite suppressant, and wow, it sure is--love it! Ketone test strips are a dark eggplant color (maximum) even with drinking lots of water. And no binges for a change, just don't want to eat much, what a relief!
Old 09-04-2017, 04:32 AM   #143
Going2
Senior LCF Member

It's the end of this challenge today and am happy to report that I am "Less by Labor Day!"--yippee! Saturday was a bit of overdoing and Sunday included brunch, but I stayed focused otherwise and was rewarded with a little more loss over Friday's lowest weight this morning--phew!

Even though I didn't get serious about my eating until just recently and only lost 6 lbs. over 10 weeks, it has been a productive journey of exploration focused around the "mental game" of why I overeat, what my triggers are, and what old patterns need to be broken or changed.

This challenge group has provided a forum to share with and support each other who have similar struggles, and to hold myself accountable as part of a group with the same goal of weight loss and improved health--I thank you all!

Hope to see you around for the next challenge, whether continuing from here, on to other challenges, or in the various LCF forums. Know that I have appreciated each and every participant and post and wish all of you continued success with your personal goals!

As our good friend Crazy1 says, "best whooshes to you all" and "onward and downward!"

Last edited by Going2; 09-04-2017 at 04:33 AM..
Old 09-04-2017, 11:40 AM   #144
Crazy1
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going2 View Post
It's the end of this challenge today and am happy to report that I am "Less by Labor Day!"--yippee! Saturday was a bit of overdoing and Sunday included brunch, but I stayed focused otherwise and was rewarded with a little more loss over Friday's lowest weight this morning--phew!

Even though I didn't get serious about my eating until just recently and only lost 6 lbs. over 10 weeks, it has been a productive journey of exploration focused around the "mental game" of why I overeat, what my triggers are, and what old patterns need to be broken or changed.

This challenge group has provided a forum to share with and support each other who have similar struggles, and to hold myself accountable as part of a group with the same goal of weight loss and improved health--I thank you all!

Hope to see you around for the next challenge, whether continuing from here, on to other challenges, or in the various LCF forums. Know that I have appreciated each and every participant and post and wish all of you continued success with your personal goals!

As our good friend Crazy1 says, "best whooshes to you all" and "onward and downward!"
Well said, Going2. And well done! WTG! KUTGW!

It has been said that it takes a village to raise a child, and I would say that LCF is a community of like minded folks that certainly support our weight loss journey.

Although, I didn't do so well on the weight loss front, and am still doing the up, down dance, I know that weight loss is possible and doable......with a little help from my friends.

Time for a new challenge.......Healthier by Halloween!

Onward and downward!
Old 09-04-2017, 07:09 PM   #145
jbatchelor
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/183/148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Hi girls

checking in with my buds--I am in agreement--still trying to get my head in the game past a couple of days--and I know if I didn't check in here with all of you that I would throw in the towel--you being here keeps that from happening!

good posts from both of you going2 and crazy--certainly we have all had our trials and tribulations from time to time and yet we still meet here on a regular basis!

I will get weighed tomorrow and I know that the last few weeks have been a real hectic time--hopefully in a couple of weeks I will once again be cooking for me and the DH only--lots and lots of snacks here are very distracting--I have found a new love with dill waffle chips--not a good thing--but I am thinking of how to make a dill tortilla type chip maybe--the engines do turn once in a while but very sporadic lately--overload!

I look forward to joining all of you and hopefully some old friends will return to join us

thanks for setting us up crazy

Jeanne

“It’s in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.” ~Anthony Robbins
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:56 AM   #146
pendragginp
Major LCF Poster!

Yay to everyone here! I was also 'Less By Labor Day', for which I'm so grateful. Heading to the new thread - see everyone there.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:44 PM   #147
betsielou
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betsielou
Stats: 170/134/130
WOE: low carb, no particular diet
Start Date: 09/02/2016
Just a quick note, then I will head to the new thread. I was able to maintain, weigh in on Monday was 129.6, so I guess I met this challenge .